Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 07:59   #1
BHPian

Getting delivery of our new Swift-LXI today

Hello guys!

This is my first post on this forum. Today is an auspicious day in Maharashtra, as Gudi-Padwa( new year) is being celebrated. We, like many others are taking delivery of our new Swift-LXI today.
Initially, my plan was to go for an Alto. But gradually, I rose up the ranks, while I was doing a comparative study of all hatchbacks.
In the process, I almost committed myself to purchase the Indica -Vista ( Aura-Saffire), Chevy-Spark/ Chevy- UVA/ Wagon-R( Duo), etc.
Especially the interior feeling of the Vista was over-whelming in this price-bracket. The Chevrolet vehicle were too good to be true.
But reliable after-sales service, resale value, etc tilted my decision in favour of the Swift.
I had to disappoint a whole lot of Automobile distributers in Pune, who visited my house for giving me a demo and test-drive. They must have thought that the deal was sealed. Ultimately, I finalized on Swift -LXI, which is well beyond my original budget.
This forum, helped me a lot to decide, which one to go for, as I had been lurking around for the last one month.

I have found the threads on Pre-registration check and the one on accessories extremely useful.
Also, for fellow Puneites, I must recommend Mr. Vinit of Pune Motors for his thorough knowledge and professional approach. Although, ultimately, I found it convenient for ourselves to get all the accessories done through the original dealer, that is Sai Auto Services, Deccan, itself.
Like someone mentioned here in one of the threads, it is coming economical to load the extra features on a Swift-LXI, including the ICE, all-power-windows, body-cover, seat-covers and the Parking sensor and yet not cross the price of the Swift-VXI.
For me the vehicle is costing approximately Rs. 4, 97, 477/- ( all inclusive).

The colour is Azzure-Grey- my wife's and daughter's choice......after all it is their car first.

Just after I booked my Swift, I saw the advt of the Skoda-Fabia ( Rs. 4.49 lakhs-ex-showroom). I was wondering, if I could have atleast have a look at that vehicle too, as it was also somehow matching my latest budget. But anyway, I have done away with the idea now..........it is going to be Swift for us!
Old 27th March 2009, 08:47   #2
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely great news on an auspicious day. A big congrats Blwetorch.
Post some pictures whenever you get time.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:53   #3
BHPian

At first wishing you a very Happy Gudi-Padwa( new year).

Congratulations on the new buy, now dont bother yourelf or think about all other options you had, as with a Maruti Swift you can never go wrong, its a tried and tested kind of a car.
Old 27th March 2009, 10:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

COngrats. I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive. Dont worry about the fabia. It would have lost anyways due to its service factor and much higher parts price. ENJOY!
Old 27th March 2009, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

congratulations on the buy.great day to take the delivery of the car,don't forget to carry your camera,which i did.
Old 27th March 2009, 10:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful news !!

All the best. Drive safe. Wear seatbelts.

MOST IMPORTANT: You mentioned you li'l daughter. Please ensure that she is belted up even if she is at the back

And the fabia, well lets just say that knowingly or unknowingly, you have made the correct choice in going for the Swift !!
Old 27th March 2009, 19:23   #7
BHPian

Thank you very much Rudra, Buuby, Gemithomas, Karan and Eddy for the nice welcome and some sound advice!
I followed the threads in the forum..'On buying a car' almost to the letter.......even behaved nicely with all and sundry for a change

My next resource will be Rudra's excellent thread on Car-Care guide (Aesthetics).
I have seen the mention of another thread of yours on Car maintenance, but couldn't locate it. Can you please help me with the link, Rudra?
Wish you all a Happy Gudi Padwa( Marathi New Year! )

Old 16th April 2009, 22:21   #8
BHPian

Hello guys!
This is something like the Initial ownership report.
Well, I got delivery on the 27th of March and today is the 16th of April.
21 days of great driving experience!

We have driven about 1100 kms about 60% of it in the highways (mostly Pune -Mumbai Expressway, or Pune- Mahabaleshwar), etc.

My wife is on the wheels most of the time, she is just loving the driving experience and her style of driving, mostly on 2nd or 3rd gear( even on highways) is not the most economical way of driving, not to mention the sleep-inducing effect it had on me and my daughter, the hapless fellow passengers.

Whenever, I could lay my hands on the steering wheel, it was a relief for all of us.

The speed limit is set to about 80-90 kms/ hr for the run-in period.
My first service is already due ( coming Sunday, the 19th April'09). And I hope, after that, we can drive the vehicle at a higher speed.

The mileage I am getting during this run-in period is a decent 14.5 kms per litre ( I am using the Power variety of petrol and intend to continue doing so).

Using the Power and traveling about 60% of our total driving on the express-ways may have resulted in a higher mileage than expected during the Run-in period.

But against this, let me mention that we had the AC on most of the time and there were 6 adults and a child on most occasions, which means over-load on the engine.

We have experienced a little problem with the reverse-gear. may be it is just a matter of getting used to. I thought, the parking sensor would be of help in determining whether the reverse gear has activated or not. But unfortunately, the parking sensor image/indicators show up even when the gear has not shifted into proper place.

Otherwise, the Parking sensor is proving to be of great help.
The AC/ ICE, etc are working absolutely fine.

One of the power-windows had some problem on the very 2nd day, but the Sai Service station, Deccan, Pune ( the Maruti dealers) responded very positively and got it repaired immediately.

We are taking some extra care for maintenance and cleanliness of the vehicle. Rudra's article on car-maintenance (aesthetics) is proving to be of great help.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwetorch View Post
We have experienced a little problem with the reverse-gear. may be it is just a matter of getting used to.
Reverse gear would usually get smoother after first service. Nothing to worry about.

Congratulation, this is fun car to drive.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:57   #10
BHPian

Let me just add a few more details.
The parking sensor that I have got installed is the MGT make P-300 system. It displays a vehicle on the reverse.....shows the distances between the vehicle and the obstacle behind..............and if the distance gets lesser than 1.5 meters, a female voice kicks in, telling you about the imminent dangers. Good IVRS!
Ofcourse, it is of great help, if you need to reverse in tacky parking slots with columns and other vehicles/ scooters/ bicycles, etc. It is of great help for novice drivers. But if you have to reverse into a side road, in an empty field, you have to look behind and try the conservative way of reversing( the best policy anyway), inorder to get onto the side-road accurately.
There is no substitute for the conservative way of reversing, not even this gadget.

My security system is the Maruti promoted Nippon system, the premium version, that is, the NCS-509 system..............almost fool-proof! Sometimes though, it confounds us.............we could take off the body-cover in a Locked situation and no alarm went off. But on other occasion, a dog's shadow from far made it sentimental and it threw a tantrum!
S
Old 16th April 2009, 22:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Reverse gear would usually get smoother after first service. Nothing to worry about.

Congratulation, this is fun car to drive.
Thanks a lot NetfreakBombay!
Old 16th April 2009, 23:44   #12
BHPian

Congrats man.Well its a thrilling car to drive and drive safe.

CAn you please share the cost of extra accessories like the fog lamps and power windows.Or is it done free to you??
Old 17th April 2009, 08:10   #13
BHPian

congratz blwetorch!

nie choice you made on the swift lxi.
why dont you get the A and B pillars blackened/vinyled.
it gives the swift a sporty look and costs just 300 bucks
ironically 14.5 is the mileage that i get in my swift diesel....
Old 17th April 2009, 10:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz blwetorch!

nie choice you made on the swift lxi.
why dont you get the A and B pillars blackened/vinyled.
it gives the swift a sporty look and costs just 300 bucks
ironically 14.5 is the mileage that i get in my swift diesel....
congratz blwetorch on your new purchase. Even I have seen almost everybody get the A and B pillars blackened. I was wondering about the actual reason for the same. Is it only a cosmetic change or would it cause any performance boost (although quite unlikely). Why only swift owners get the A and B pillars blackened. Why not other car owners?
Old 17th April 2009, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Why only swift owners get the A and B pillars blackened. Why not other car owners?
Owners need not get them colored. Maruti does it for them in factory itself

Look at spec sheet at

Untitled Document

Search for "http://www.marutiswift.com/variantsdiesel-content1.aspx"

Most Viewed