Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 21:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the BMW 520d!

Got delivery of the 520d on Monday, Alpine white with Natural brown leather interiors. Navnit motors was kind enough to replace the runflats with Michelin Primacy HP in the same stock size.

What impressed me most was the ride quality, it's now at par if not better than the E-class. The new iDrive knob with the shortcut keys is a boon and makes browsing much quicker. Another impressive feature was the voice dial, press a button on the steering and a hot lady assistant comes alive (I like to believe she is a hottie )You can say a number to dial,redial,etc... your wish is her command Although it didn't seem to work for other feature like changing CD or FM stations.

Infact we were so impressed with the bluetooth integration on the iDrive that we got it fitted on the 525d today from Navnit. The entire phonebook can be accessed from the iDrive, calls can also be answered via a button on the steering.

Only disappointment with the 520d (besides the fact that it doesn't have the crazy torque surge of the 525d ) is that the interiors were not well matched. The natural brown seat colour looks brilliant but the carpet is black, handrest and door handle leather is black too. Whereas in the 525d we have grey interiors which is well matches all around with grey carpet and all leather inserts are grey too.

Got Garware grand tints fitted on the 520d with a greyish shade that matches well, was going to put the same Vcool that I have on the 525d but the specs of the garware grand seemed promising for 1/3rd the price. Believe it or not a small test in the heat showed that it actually did perform almost as well !

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Got the BMW 520d!-img_0027.jpg  

Got the BMW 520d!-img_0026.jpg  

Got the BMW 520d!-img_0028.jpg  

Got the BMW 520d!-img_0034.jpg  

Old 10th April 2009, 22:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congratz on the new addition, i feel the propeller badge is much more reliable compared to the 3 pointed star.

Happy motoring, and nice space saver set up
Old 12th April 2009, 01:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Waah, few things speak of a satisfied customer as one who is a return buyer! Congratulations Sahil! Can we expect the 520d to wear a *520* numberplate?

How's the overall refinement compared to the 525 (and with two cylinders less)?

Quote:
What impressed me most was the ride quality, it's now at par if not better than the E-class.
Better than on runflats yes, but not a match for the E. We've compared an E side by side with a 5 running on regular rubber over a 180 km highway run. Run flats alone aren't responsible for the 5's stiff edge, it is also the way that the suspension is tuned. Outright sportiness versus comfort (unlike the E).
Old 12th April 2009, 03:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sahil. Beemers look great in Alpine White. Agree with GTO on the ride quality factor though. The E rules here but with tubeless rubber, you are sure to get a more comfy ride. How about some more better pictures?

Time to add the high security plates to the cars? Will look awesome.
Old 12th April 2009, 05:03   #5
TOR
BHPian

Congrats on the buy!

The pic with the three 5's almost looks like a dealership!

Could you please post some more pictures of the interiors-thanks.
Old 12th April 2009, 05:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool buy and nice pics. Congrats.
Old 12th April 2009, 06:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove the car on several broken roads and found it as good as the E but I have not done a side by side comparo so I will take your word for it.If I give 10 on 10 to the E for comfort I'd give this 8 and I don't mind the loss on 2 points to get a far superior handling.

The refinement is really good minus the 2cyls, it's super smooth, 0 vibrations and power delivery is linear. Although there is a slightly louder engine clatter compared to the 525d.

Will get the regn number on Monday but 520 number looks unlikely as the current series is 8000+. The RTO is asking for too much bribe on opening a new series for the 520 number. High security plates will look good on the white car but prefer the current plates on the silver one as they blend in well and keep the number discrete.

Forgot to click interior pics, will do soon when car comes from Pune.
Old 12th April 2009, 07:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sahil,
Congrats bro! The car looks superb. Quite surprised the interiors have different carpeting. Ours has the same finish throughout. Check with the dealership.
I love the color though! I want one in the same color, with deep read leather and the M5 kit and engine!
Here's a question, the alloys look different. Are they?
Old 12th April 2009, 09:52   #9
BHPian

@Sahil: congrats mate, the car looks fantastic in white. You must be one real satisfied BMW customer!

Some more pics (interiors specially) would be welcome.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:22   #10
BHPian

That's a LOT of fivers parked close together
Old 12th April 2009, 12:30   #11
BHPian

You lucky you *%$@#$

Just kidding. Enjoy the ride.

Any remap on the cards to help it get closer to matching the surge of the 525?
Or you dont' want to pamper your driver too much ?

Last edited by d3mon : 12th April 2009 at 12:38.
Old 12th April 2009, 13:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

im quite amazed seeing 3 b'ers together in one garage! congrats on your new acquisition. she's an absolute beauty. some higher resolution pictures would be appreciated and drooled upon!
Old 12th April 2009, 14:01   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey Sahil,
That's quite a fetish for the 5's that you seemed to have got. And I ain't saying it's bad. Enjoy those beauties. Drive them hard, drive them fast.
And the white looks stunning. Which one's the black one?

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 12th April 2009, 14:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

The TBHP's BeemrMan. Congrats.

The cam pix dont do justice. Cant beat the look of the white and can you post pix of both with their angels on

d3mon: forget brainwashing him, wont work.
Old 12th April 2009, 14:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow Sahil !! Another one ! Congrats.

The White Beemer looks stunning. Please post better pics and if possible a few interior pics as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks