Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:27   #1
BHPian

Tata Safari (2009) 2.2 VTT VX 4x4

Story from Booking till Delivery - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...w-driving.html

Car - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DiCOR
Color - Mountain Green
Variant - VX 4x4
Date Acquired - 29th April, 2009
Odometer - 435 KM

Modofications - Tyres chaged to Michelin LTX AT2 235/70 R16

City Travelling - In Mumbai (bout 150 KM)
Highway Travelling - Mumbai to Dahanu and back (about 250 KM)
Offroad - Intentionally dropped the front wheel into a ditch about 3 feet deep and got out using 4L
Tata Safari (2009) 2.2 VTT VX 4x4-dsc05213.jpg

Initial Driving Experience -

At present I am too overwhelmed to acquire my dream car and hence can not spot any negatives.
Initially I was a bit scared to drive this as I have never driven a manual car. However, I went ahead anyway and driven it around wherever I could. As such, no problems. It can be driven quite effortlessly below 2500 RPM (due to
running-in restrictions). The clutch is a bit heavy but I have gotten used to it. The accelaration (keeping it below 2500 RPM), Braking and steering are perfect for both city and highway driving.

I have read quite a few times on this forum that Safari Steering at high speed is uncomfortably light and vague.
However, I found it to get heavier with speed. While driving down from Dahanu in the night, I have driven on the right lane at about 90- 100Kmph and had to make constant small correction to maintain my gap from the median at the right and the trucks at the left. I did not find any issue there of the car not responsing to steering inputs, over responding or erratically responding.
Tata Safari (2009) 2.2 VTT VX 4x4-kelva-682.jpg

Weird Things Noted -

1. When I did my PDI at the dealers stockyard, the Odometer read 40KM. After that the car went for registration etc., so I was expecting an Odometer reading about 100Km at the time of delivery. However, I was surprised to find
that the odometer read a cool "Zero" at the showroom. Upon enquiry the sales people said they did this for all cars. Now that makes me a little uncomfortable. But being in a hugely celebratory mood, I did not argue about it.
Should I have done it?

2. The first switch on the row above AC controls is supposed to operate the "rear Fog lamps". This switch does not work, means pressing it down does not bring up the LED on he switch and nothing gets turend on. More weired is I did not find any fog lamps on the read side also. Safari Owners, please help!

3.The power window has an express roll down feature, it rolls down compleely by only a small tap on the switch. One does not need to press and hold. But for rolling up, one need to pull the switch up and hold till the windows are
fully rolled up.
In my experience, one needs to roll down windows to Pay toll, ask directions, let in a little air etc. All this can be done by rolling the window down a little and not all the way down. In fact while driving at night with females inside, its better if the wondow does not roll all the way down.
However, while rolling up, people normally do so completely for switching on the AC.
In light of this, one can't help but wonder why did they not provide "Express Roll-up" instead of "Express Roll-down"?

4. The glove box is indeed very small.
The small place under the parking break can only be used for keeping a mobile phone as anything more than 1 inches thick will prevent the parking brake to be disengaged properly.
The other place above rear AC vents (floor Level) also is too small to keep anything meaning full.
The can holders near the gear lever cannot hold a 1 litre bottle of water.
More than just plastic quality, the car needs to have more intelligent interior design.

5. In my automatic santro, I used to carry the "move" ointment whenever I was going to drive more than 300-400KM. I needed to rub it on my ankles after every two odd hours. However, in this car, although I am using my both feet and operating much much heavier paddles, I am yet to experience any pain in any part of my feet. It might be due to my initial euphoria, but if it is for real - both me and my wife shall forgive the cubby holes.
Tata Safari (2009) 2.2 VTT VX 4x4-kelva-646.jpg
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
1. Sure it was not the trip meters? There are two.

2. Hold it for fews seconds with parks on.

3. Safety I presume.

5. lol.
Hope this helps. Happy reclaiming.

If you do lot of highway driving at night, you might need a head lights upgrade.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:33   #3
BHPian

Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hope this helps. Happy reclaiming.

If you do lot of highway driving at night, you might need a head lights upgrade.
Hey, thanks for the help.
I will check up the rear fog lamp tomorrow morning.

I will do a lot of highway driving indeed. But am still not sure which headlamp upgrade to invest in. One of these days I will shake out the lethargy and read the relevant threads.
Have you installed any similar upgrade? If yes, please advise me.
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:11   #4
BHPian

looks like a killer congratulations.
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:15   #5
BANNED

Quote:
I have read quite a few times on this forum that Safari Steering at high speed is uncomfortably light and vague.
It is slightly vague at the speeds you have attempted so far but surprisingly gets tighter at higher speeds. You will still need to 'correct' frequently enough though.

Quote:
2. The first switch on the row above AC controls is supposed to operate the "rear Fog lamps". This switch does not work, means pressing it down does not bring up the LED on he switch and nothing gets turend on. More weired is I did not find any fog lamps on the read side also. Safari Owners, please help!
Rear fogs work only when the main headlamps (high / low beam) are switched on in the 3.0. It is very unlikely that Tata have changed this in the 2.2

Quote:
The small place under the parking break can only be used for keeping a mobile phone as anything more than 1 inches thick will prevent the parking brake to be disengaged properly.
The other place above rear AC vents (floor Level) also is too small to keep anything meaning full.
More than just plastic quality, the car needs to have more intelligent interior design.
Welcome! You will learn to improvise as do all owners.

Quote:
5. In my automatic santro, I used to carry the "move" ointment whenever I was going to drive more than 300-400KM. I needed to rub it on my ankles after every two odd hours. However, in this car, although I am using my both feet and operating much much heavier paddles, I am yet to experience any pain in any part of my feet. It might be due to my initial euphoria, but if it is for real - both me and my wife shall forgive the cubby holes.
Left calf might experience some pain in city traffic until you get used to the 'odd' position of the pedals (relative to a normal car).

Oh, and with well focussed and adjusted headlamps, you don't need an upgrade.
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely sight and congratulations!

My two bits:

1. Change the rear mudflaps to plain black ones instead of the current 'Tata Safari dollar' ones!
2. Remove the dealer stickers immediately!
3. Go for the Rs. 850 'High Security Number Plates''. They really add that extra bit of class. Check out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd May 2009 at 23:18. Reason: URL
Old 4th May 2009, 08:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ah, the initial ownership review.

Loved the photo taken thru the greens!

For your concerns:

1. As said by JK, are you sure it was not a trip meter?

3. I believe their assumption is that one would need more contration while stopping at toll-booths, mall gates, etc than when rolling out. Personally I would love to have it both ways!

5. Now you have an excuse to spend more time driving!

For the headlamps, I would definitely recommend a upgrade, especially when you say that you will be doing a lot of highway driving. But when HRag mentioned that a proper leveling will work out fine, do try that before doing the upgrade. Guess the height of the lamps had its own advantages.

And a nice way to test the 4L!

More photos in order, mate!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th May 2009 at 11:00.
Old 4th May 2009, 11:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

To switch on your rear fog lamps, you need to press the switch down, and hold for one second.
This will work only if
1. Front headlights are on,
2. Parking lights are on and front fog lamps are on.
If you are just on parking lights, and front fogs are off, rear fog will not come on. However if have switched on headlights, rear fog lights will come on when you keep the switch pressed down, front fogs not needed

Quote:
3.The power window has an express roll down feature, it rolls down compleely by only a small tap on the switch. One does not need to press and hold. But for rolling up, one need to pull the switch up and hold till the windows are
fully rolled up.
In my experience, one needs to roll down windows to Pay toll, ask directions, let in a little air etc. All this can be done by rolling the window down a little and not all the way down. In fact while driving at night with females inside, its better if the wondow does not roll all the way down.
However, while rolling up, people normally do so completely for switching on the AC.
In light of this, one can't help but wonder why did they not provide "Express Roll-up" instead of "Express Roll-down"?
Only express roll down in most cars
Quote:
Yes storage is an issue here
Quote:
The pedal ergonomics of this car are very good.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the help.
I will check up the rear fog lamp tomorrow morning.

I will do a lot of highway driving indeed. But am still not sure which headlamp upgrade to invest in. One of these days I will shake out the lethargy and read the relevant threads.
Have you installed any similar upgrade? If yes, please advise me.
90/100 Philips Rallys with relay. 850 rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

My two bits:

1. Change the rear mudflaps to plain black ones instead of the current 'Tata Safari dollar' ones!

Its tough to get the OE ones. The black ones cost 150 rs for 4; think he has that.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3.The power window has an express roll down feature, it rolls down compleely by only a small tap on the switch.

However, while rolling up, people normally do so completely for switching on the AC. In light of this, one can't help but wonder why did they not provide "Express Roll-up" instead of "Express Roll-down"?
Express Roll down can be controlled by pressing the switch twice and it stops suddenly.

The Express Roll up is not provided due to safety reason, so that the people by mistake do not get caught in between while it is closing.

Headlights - Suggestion would be go for OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER H$ (60/55w)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDAS
90/100 Philips Rallys with relay.
JK i guess you cannot use these lights without altering the wiring, which leads to warranty void

The regular which comes with the Safari is 60/55w.

Last edited by gowda79 : 4th May 2009 at 13:47.
Old 4th May 2009, 16:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

Headlights - Suggestion would be go for OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER H$ (60/55w)

JK i guess you cannot use these lights without altering the wiring, which leads to warranty void

I am just curious how they give more light with the same wattage?

Also don't you have to splice the wires somewhere for fog lights? Will that not void the warranty?
Old 4th May 2009, 16:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

I use osram nightbreaker, and they are better than stock lights. But I am told that slightly higher light means slightly lower life.
As for fog lights, I fitted mine without splicing any wires. A separate wire was connected directory to batter and a separate switch. Downside is that they will remain on even when engine is off, but + is that nothing was touched in the cars wiring
Old 4th May 2009, 16:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am just curious how they give more light with the same wattage?

Also don't you have to splice the wires somewhere for fog lights? Will that not void the warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I use osram nightbreaker, and they are better than stock lights. But I am told that slightly higher light means slightly lower life.
As for fog lights, I fitted mine without splicing any wires. A separate wire was connected directory to batter and a separate switch. Downside is that they will remain on even when engine is off, but + is that nothing was touched in the cars wiring
4x4 Addict i guess Tanveer has answered your question for the fog lamps.

Coming to the Nightbreaker you need to check with the OSRAM directly, you can see the results by yourself when you use the OE and the Nightbreakers.

OSRAM NIGHTBREAKERS are really good try it out and you will find it reallly great.

Last edited by gowda79 : 4th May 2009 at 16:37.
Old 4th May 2009, 17:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
looks like a killer congratulations.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

Oh, and with well focussed and adjusted headlamps, you don't need an upgrade.
That's good. I am not sure about upgrading wattage of lamps due to warranty concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

And a nice way to test the 4L!

More photos in order, mate!
More photos next weekend. During the weekdays the car will do the duty for my sister who is out the whole day.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If I use the osram night braker with stock wattage, why do I need to alter the wiring. Will it not fit right into the socket like a replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If the car comes with stock fog lamps, then also do I need to splice the wiring etc?
I mean there already are separate connections for headlight and fog lights.

Quote:
OSRAM NIGHTBREAKERS are really good try it out and you will find it reallly great.
Any idea how much these Osram lamps will cost? Are there any warranty implications? (I guess not as they are same wattage).
Old 4th May 2009, 17:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

hi sen, with reference to your post in the other thread:

Quote:
Yes it is Sarvodaya Nagar.
He keeps lots of alloys, but i have not enquired about them much.
Hey... why don't we catch up sometime?
sure, do contact me through PM, we can definitely meet.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks