Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2005, 14:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes C220 CDI Estate - 400 mile test

It is a tough life!!! Husband buys wife a second hand car, wife shouts at him saying it is dubious – so poor car expert cousin is called in to check car out and use it to prove it is okay. Alas it is a C class – declared as “common” in Team-bhp – some might have more unprintable words.

Well, one was forced to cancel the Honda Accord automatic that was be hired ………….and save 200 + pounds and disappoint shan2unu in the process.

Oh god, why life is so tough! I could have an easy life overseeing printing of annual reports or some other old man's hobby

About the car – fully loaded 2000 merc c220 cdi avant-garde – comes with climate control, full electric drivers seat – sport suspension, 225/55 tyres, black leather, xenon lights.

It had done 90000 miles in four years – not as bad as you think – the engine would be better than a car that has done 12000 miles in town as it would have been operating in ioptimum operating temperatures = lower engine wear. My cousins w124 E230 had crossed the 200k and was a bit loopy – they maintain their cars regularly but as a matter or course not with an enthusiasts passion. The C Class was spotted at the local dealer and was going for 4000 pounds less that what Merc were selling for a similarly used one 200 miles away. It seemed to drive well so my cousin exchanged it

Some niggles were there – the drivers seat drained the battery, CD player and rear wiper don’t work - selling dealer will take it to Mercedes for the electrics. Dealer changed the rear tyres and put some lousy brand on it. If they had told me, I would have chipped the price and bought the tyres on their own. Suggested to my cousin to upgrade the tyres. My cousin felt that if one has saved 4000 pounds spending an extra 1500 pounds to sort out the niggles ain’t a bad deal.

The wife still screamed and preferred to spend 4000 extra but the husband wisely ignored her and bought it. I rode in it from Manchester to London – no probs. I was then told to use it over the week….why not.

My cousin first asked me to examine it. It had had an accident but was well repaired. I could find nothing wrong except for screechy scratchy wiper blades and a strange noise on braking – traced to a plastic wheel arch falling to bits.

Performance – The car takes off – the torque is awesome – accelerates more strongly than the X5 (power to weight ratio!). Imaging a C270!!!!. Bit noisy but mutes downs on speed and after warming up. Mid range acceleration good

Transmission – shifts strongly and kickdown response excellent – tiptronic – a farce – when I downshift – it responds exactly a second later. Tiptronic only worth it for limiting upshifts

Handling – I feel the X5 and the 316 (did a very short drive in this) steering more keen. With the 225 wheels – you are aware of the road. It communicates but does not talk to you. Goes into corners and holds well. High speed body control excellent though shocks might need replacement within a year. No suspension noises at all

Brakes – Awesome – takes a lot to activate the ABS- I never got there. On a private stretch of road on the race track, I brake from 100 km/h – it just stopped, no drama nothing , just stopped – if you look at the interior shots, you will find contents of the front sheet and rear seat safely landed in the passenger footwell

Ride – firm but not as jiggly as the X5 – driver seat bouncy like being on a trampoline - seat springs have aged but not the leather!

Bodywork – stood up well to 9000 miles – plenty of gravel rash on the windscreen. Wheels look pitted and betray cars mileage.

Interiors – This was the only let down. aged well but the plastics are appalling after jumping in from an X5. My Honda City heater controls are superior. Dash crackled and rattled. Indicator stalk felt as it was going to crack off. Layout was really good though. AC not very strong. Great seats though. Most of the car's noise was from the dash

Summary – great car – lusty engine – if Mercedes have licked the plastics and electrics problems they are back on track. Dynamically, a great car for cruising and moderate country roads. I enjoyed it (the X5 is in a different league before you start commenting and comparing!). A car you would love- not lust for

Last edited by ported_head : 14th June 2005 at 14:33.
Old 17th May 2007, 12:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Update

It has done 130,000 miles, 208000 km in your lingo. Engine is a bit clattery when cold but smoothens out - went to Oxford and it smoothened out. Rear shocks on their way out. Auto transmission, slightly lumpy when changing down.

Except for electrical niggles due to wrong sort of battery, car has not missed a beat. CD player started working on its own. My cousin feels this is creaky and is not as solid as the w124 E220 that they had earlier. (that car with 150000 miles sold within 4 days of the dealer putting it out on the forecourt!).This car does 55 mpg on the motorway.

Did not use this car this time around but was driven around in it. Why...cos I was driving their e46 318i - reveiw coming up soon
Old 17th May 2007, 14:36   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How would you compare it to a certain 220 saloon you recently ripped?

Mine just crossed 33,000 kms with no further issues. Reassuring to hear that there are examples with 7 times that and still running good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks