Team-BHP - 2009 Ambassador Grand BS-3 2.0 Turbo Diesel and 1800 ISZ MPFI: Test drive and review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   2009 Ambassador Grand BS-3 2.0 Turbo Diesel and 1800 ISZ MPFI: Test drive and review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/60714-2009-ambassador-grand-bs-3-2-0-turbo-diesel-1800-isz-mpfi-test-drive-review-3.html)

Thanks for reviewing the old faithful! Whatever flaws it may have, the Ambassador is still a car driven with the heart and not by the brain.
That familiar silhoutte( as HM says) among the today's boxy sedans, makes one feel the joy of finding a dear kin.
But HM should have retained the old classic steel bumpers instead of the present plastic ones, which leaves the car in noman's land-neither classic nor modern. Besides that , Ambassodors are best looking in Black and Black alone.Long live the legend!clap:

Nice report @Sid. I would still love to drive one. I was almost buying an amby after I got a job but was vehemently opposed by other people and settled for a Palio. Till recently I used to drive a diesel one whenever I went to Bakreshwar Thermal Power Plant and it was fun. Wish HM could give better interiors and safety features.

I say "kill" this ugly lump of an oxymoron on wheels and give it a decent burial. How long will HM insult our intelligence by continuing to vend this trundling old codger?. This car to me epitomizes everything that was wrong with this nation and still continues to linger. :deadhorse
By the way, this loopy and lumpy old nag of a car is not India's first car, not even the first 'made in India' car. There were other cars before this one and much better ones too.Ofcourse, we chose to retain the worst of the lot for decades to come. No surprise here.

I think this sticker says it all :uncontrol

an excellent review, sidindica.clap:
though the car is not as good as the earlier ones but still it is A ONE OF A KIND. what should i say, i have been riding a diesel NOVA from the 1st day of my life till my family bought the 'big butt' SX4 last year.

some people say its a noisy car, sounds like a truck. i say, each and every indian car sounds like a truck. 1st there was the ZEN-D, then the INDICA-D as well as the ESTEEM-D. i am totally leaving the SCORPIO, XYLO and others. my uncle's indica sounds like a TRACTOR!! what's the point??

but i really miss the NOVA interiors, the chrome bumpers, they are still the best.
just as the beetle & the mini shouldered on, the amby will too.
"VIVA amby":I Rule:

The LEGEND never dies ! remembering the days I used to goto school in our company's old ambassadors.

amazing car, very good value for proposition, where else can I get 2000 cc diesel engine for less than 6L.

If they launch this with Auto box, I will definitely consider adding this to my garage.

Good review Sidindica. Are these pics from the showrooms? looks quite filthy !

SID great review,

Amby still had some steam left and can do so much more. They could so easily keep quality and give it the Retro Fiat 500 (new version type of look).

Why save on stuff by giving thinner tyres, etc...

Great Review Sid,It was quite nice to see a review of Ambassador. In our childhood days, the term 'Car' referred to Ambassador. And for some time even after Maruti 800, it was Ambassador. People used to be skeptic about M800 taking the indian roads. Seems the tables are turned now.

Good Review Sid. This brings back memories of the Mark II Amby that my dad had for roughly 8 years. The only problem with our car was small niggling issues.

wow! look at all the positive posts this car is getting. A few months ago people wanted to shut HM down. :P But it is really sad on how they have taken to modifying and selling it. The rear is awfully squarish and the pop-out tail lamps suck.

The Side indicators look great and the interior though spartan has most amenities.

PS: HM should restart making the Contessa.

The positive comments are because most of us have a place in our hearts for the Amby. We have fond memories of the car. However, today, recommending one is impossible. Almost every car has better quality material and workmanship. Many would like to see the Amby modernised. The way HM is going about things, the car is better off the road and in the museum.
HM should focus on Mitsubishi. They need to introduce a small hatchback as quickly as possible.

It used to look like an echo of old England; now it looks like an echo of old Russia, with a hint of cartoon-stereotype Indian English.

Thumbs DOWN!

(But the review is great :))

Instead of continuing with the Amby, HM should have pulled the plug on it and continued with the Contessa. A much better car than the Amby.

Thought the ISUZU generated more than 50bhp !

q) how do you confirm if its a ISUZU engine?
ans) Look for smoke; a lot !