Team-BHP - Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/61363-tata-safari-2-2-lx-arctic-silver.html)

The new car bug bit me sometime in may 09 and I was in the market for anything that fulfilled 2 of my set conditions:-

1st it has to be a diesel, my average running is around 2500 km/month.

2nd it has to be VFM - I am/was not going to pay through my nose for the H badge or for the so called premium brands who are obsessed with cheating Indians.
The hunt begins:-

Cars considered(only diesel variants):-
-Swift/ Vista/ Punto.
-Linea/ Fiesta/ Verna (obsessed brands not even considered)
-Safari/ Scorpio/ Endeavour.

Cars shortlisted-
-Vista Aura - lowest NVH levels ,spacious,felt like a complete package.
-Linea Emotions PK-feels & drives like a genuine sedan.
-Safari EX- I knew what I was getting into but the positives totally outweigh the negatives, at this price I believe you get your moneys worth and I mean every single rupee.Safari always had the style & the character - the 2.2 heart gave it the much need substance, its amusing to see how this vehicle gives a car twice its price a run for its money in almost all department except the snob value.

Final decision:-
Thanks to my scorpio and the ever worsening road & traffic conditions in NCR I have come to realize that I may never drive a sedan again, these SUV's are so damn addictive! its a pain to drive anything else.

So SAFARI it was to be, decided to go for the LX version to avoid beige interiors.After having a tough time with beige in my Scorpio & Accent I
absolutely dread those.

Finally took delivery of my Arctic silver 2.2 safari on 23rd June details:-

Dealer- Tayal motors Faridabad
Ex showroom-7.7lacs
Insurance self-14.5k (Iffco tokio)
Extended warranty-6.5k
Temp registration-600/-
Registration- will get it done myself.
Discounts -pm me for details.

BUYING EXPERIENCE
Finally decided to go for the arctic silver safari lx around 2 pm on 23rd, called the dealership and confirmed the availability, went there checked the car thoroughly gave them the thumbs up at around 4pm and told the sales guy that I will take the delivery on 23 itself.PDI was done in front of me and the car was ready by 7.30 pm, handed them the cheques and I was given the keys and a box of sweets.

All in all a good buying experience.

END OF PART 1

Congrats lancerlover ;)

Awaiting a comparison between the two.

wow - your buying experience sounds so much fun - short and sweet as its supposed to be without any drama.

Wish you a great ownership experience with Safari !

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1375566)
Congrats lancerlover ;)

Awaiting a comparison between the two.

And some pics. :)

And yes, congrats!

Part 1 is short and crisp. Your requirements are also very crisp. So, waiting for the part 2 to come out soon.

PART 2

Initial Driving Experience

I am not new to the world of safaris but the 2.2 heart adds a whole new dimension to this world, even in the current avatar a short yest drive will leave you utterly confused about why people buy this beast.Drive it twice you will find its not that bad and a 3rd longish drive -you would find your answers.This car grows on you, it doesn't take long to understand how its meant to be driven and when you do its a absolute pleasure.

Have driven it around 1200kms so far and sure the engine has open up a bit, the gear box keeps you engaged as 3rd gear alone wouldn't do for the city -you have to constantly shift to 2nd to avoid straining the engine.

What an absolute pleasure it is to drive at around 100/110 in 5th, with the rpm's settling at around 2k the drive is effortless, noiseless and ultra smooth.I feel this has to be the highlight so far.

MILEAGE

On a trip to Chandigarh with 4 on board and 100 % AC fuel consumption was about 13kmpl (tankful to tankful method), keeping it below 100kmph /2k rpm most of the time.

In the city the figure seems to around 11kmpl, would confirm after the next tankful.

LIKES SO FAR
:-

-Road Presence.
-Comfort Level.
-Space.
-NVH levels are Well under control.
-Small and meaningful features like- follow me home headlight ,puddle lamps on the doors, illuminated power window switches, light in the engine compartment and many more small but thoughtful features that enhance the user experience.

DISLIKES

-Steering- turning radius is huge and there is an inherent play in the steering control
which makes it a bit vague and it takes some time to ge used to.
-The central console of the dashboard could have been designed and done better both aesthetically and ergonomically.

Summing It Up

Its a very good product, you get what you see and the performance doesn't let you down either. I wouldn't buy a product solely because somebody had a very good experience with it and similarly I wouldn't ignore a product because someone had a bad experience, at the end of the day (after all) its a piece of machinery and how yours perform depends on how it was assembled and how you carry out the preventive maintenance, so I took my chance with it just like I did with my Mitsubishi/ Honda/ Hyundai/ Mahindra or Suzuki.

If it fits your bill buy it but with your eyes open.

END of Part 2

I truly agree with the summing it up part. I also like the absolute clarity in lancerlover's thoughts, requirements and there by was able to articulate so well.

Great review and I am sure this would help my friend in making up his mind.

I dont think any safari owner would disagree with the findings in Part 2, well summed.

Btw, congratulations (before I forget) :)

PART 3

ICEing IT

This time around my requirements were basic and simple, I listen to a lot of soft music, with occasional bursts of everything thrown in. Vocals had to be good and quality and depth were also a deciding factor.

Auditioned Pioneer/ Kenwood/ Blaupunkt for the system and Polk/ kickers/ Jbl for the speakers.
Blaupunkt tilted the scale with its inbuilt bluetooth and jbl's for there VFM.

The final setup:-
-6.5" GT5 265c Components in front.
-6.5" GTO 638 3 way co axial in the rear.
-Driving them is the Blau MP57.

Sound quality is descent-bass is okay, mid and treble are good.This setup though basic sounds good and solves my purpose quite well.

Bluetooth is a real boon in traffic and I miss it a lot in my other cars.

Got Garware Sun protection film all around and that's about it for the time being with Alloy wheels planned for the next month.

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture1.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture-011.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture-022.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture-023.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture-0242.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture-025.jpg

Tata Safari 2.2 LX - Arctic Silver.-picture-029.jpg

congratulations on ur new safari.:thumbs up its a good VFM and best on ride comfort.
does it come with music system? If yes, can you jus tell me hows the music quality in it...?
waiting your new safari's pics....

welcome to the club. Happy and safe driving!

Congrats LancerLover!

That was a simple purchase review and process.

Loved the way that you had summed up the total experience.

Wishing you a happy ownership experience.

the short and sweet review, its one of the best reviews. i totally agree with your views!!.:D

congrats! buddy

Congrats Lancerlover.
I agree with you completely- once a person is addicted to SUVs it is difficult to enjoy driving sedans . The sheer road presence and giant proportions of an SUV ( particularly the Safari) make you the King of the Road.
Very well written review.
Perhaps we should all call you " safari lover" now.