Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 13:25   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions

Newbie here.

July 09 - picked up the AT version of the verna crdi.

Color - deep blue.
Trim - Sx. GLS by hyundai description.
Expected usage - 90% city driving - urban crawl.

Initial impressions :

Trim : Hyundai has skimped in the 2009 model top end variant.

The glovebox light, ashtray box, cigar lighter socket have been removed.
The music system provided has no aux, ipod input provision. music system quality is average.

A letter to hyundai on ABS provision or upgrade was met with stony silence.

Auto transmission : The main reason for the buy. Smooth, slightly slow to respond, keeps upshifting for fuel economy.
I noticed that if the OD button is switched off, it improves the city driving experience.
Keeps the tachometer around 1500 to 2500 and reduces the turbo lag.
Effortless driving in the mid range from the diesel.
L mode useful for climbing, poor roads, descents.
The initial slow forward movement in D mode is a boon in bumper to bumper city traffic.
Happy with the purchase.

Hyundai provides no additional operation manual or technical data with auto transmission - even on request ! The user has to figure it out.

Team BHP users/forum a great source of information.

AC - auto aircon works very well. ac is a chiller.

Seats/interiors : seats are low. added a seat cushion for better visibility.
Interiors are light in color, airy,cheerful but stain easily.
Driver seat handrest very useful.

Exteriors : Cosmetic changes in 2009 model. Bland, inoffensive appearance.

Initial pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-hyundai-verna-closed-door-view-2009-002.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-hyundai-verna-front-view-2009-003.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-hyundai-verna-open-door-view-2009-001.jpg  

Old 12th July 2009, 13:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats, Nice crisp first report. Whats the OD button ??
Old 12th July 2009, 13:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

Nice, now this is one thread that I will keep my eyes on.

Please do update regularly and in detail.

All the best and drive safe !
Old 12th July 2009, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very good initial review. Its the first Verna AT on the forum. Wanted to TD one but the dealers didnt have a car. I guess its not a rocket like the manual but it serves it purpose. Perfect for city crawling traffic and its a diesel. Do keep updating this thread with your ownership experience. What is the initial FE you are getting?

Nice car. Congratulations
Old 12th July 2009, 15:04   #5
BHPian

@keepitsimple Congrats on the new buy. The colour looks neat. I thought that the top end sx comes with ABS as an option at least. Can you elaborate a little more on the driving experience with the AT. How is the pick up when compared to the MT?
Old 14th July 2009, 01:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
congrats, Nice crisp first report. Whats the OD button ??
Thanks for all the kind support and encouragement from team bhpians.

OD button is for overdrive.
The hyundai 4speed AT has three forward gears and an overdrive (OD) for top gear or 4th gear.
Engaging the overdrive button located on the AT transmission gearshift lever allows selection of the lowest selectable gear ratio.
This is suitable for steady cruising or gentle acceleration from about 60-80kmph on the auto transmission.
The AT will downshift out of the OD mode if conditions are not met.
The overdrive selector reduces engine speed (rpm) while cruising and improves fuel economy. Torque is reduced in OD mode.
Here are the gear ratios for the AT transmission from autocar india.
Notice that the gear ratio falls below one (1) in 4th gear or overdrive mode.
Attached Images

KeepItSimple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2009, 01:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Nice, now this is one thread that I will keep my eyes on.

Please do update regularly and in detail.

All the best and drive safe !
Thanks. Will try to update frequently.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:29   #8
BHPian

Thanks Dippy.
Its not a rocket like the manual verna. The AT improves drivability in city traffic, has adequate torque for overtaking, the turbo lag appears less prominent and AC chills well due lack of much demand on the engine.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks pras.oct25.

Yes, ABS is standard. No airbags even as an option though.
Drivability has the diesel charecter. Front end is heavy and you can feel it at low speeds in the city crawl. Idle rpm is 800. Turbo lag is evident till about 1500rpm.
In the torque band of the engine, the drive is smooth and effortless.
Transmission shifts quickly upwards.
Often, the rpm falls below the useful torque band in city traffic.
Downshifts by the transmission are slow. I prefer to keep the OD button 'off' in city driving. This selects better gear ratios for city crawling at the expense of FE.
Too early to judge the FE as I am just learning and experimenting with the different modes in the AT. Done about 400kms in city traffic.
Hyundai recommends keeping below 3000rpm in the initial 1000kms.
Will post in due course on the FE.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase,nice color.
They would have given new set of alloys for the latest model,than giving the old ones similar to petrol.
How much was the OTR in B'lore.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 14th July 2009 at 09:38.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItSimple View Post
Thanks pras.oct25.

Yes, ABS is standard. No airbags even as an option though.
Drivability has the diesel charecter. Front end is heavy and you can feel it at low speeds in the city crawl. Idle rpm is 800. Turbo lag is evident till about 1500rpm.
In the torque band of the engine, the drive is smooth and effortless.
Transmission shifts quickly upwards.
Often, the rpm falls below the useful torque band in city traffic.
Downshifts by the transmission are slow. I prefer to keep the OD button 'off' in city driving. This selects better gear ratios for city crawling at the expense of FE.
Too early to judge the FE as I am just learning and experimenting with the different modes in the AT. Done about 400kms in city traffic.
Hyundai recommends keeping below 3000rpm in the initial 1000kms.
Will post in due course on the FE.
Looks like that the AT really isnt much of a solution to the apparent lack of lower torque refinement in the verna engine. I think hyundai would have been better off using the the more refined version of the engine that is in the getz crdi in their new verna release.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

2 cents

Congratulations from a fellow Verna owner. You've purchased a reliable all-rounder car that will give you miles of inexpensive motoring. I've heard that Hyundai has substantially increased the price of the car after the upgrade. Just for info, what was your OTR price?

Quote:
Trim : Hyundai has skimped in the 2009 model top end variant.

The glovebox light, ashtray box, cigar lighter socket have been removed.
The music system provided has no aux, ipod input provision. music system quality is average.
Hyundai did away with the ashtray box and cigar lighter in September 2008 itself, much before the model upgrade. People like me who bought their cars in late September were the first casualties.

The earlier model came with a decent Kenwood ICE that played MP3s, CDs and cassettes. But even that didnt have a provision for iPod input. I've been told that quality of sound is worse in the new model, and it doesnt come with a cassette player.

Quote:
A letter to hyundai on ABS provision or upgrade was met with stony silence.
I'm a little puzzled here. Weren't you offered the ABS + rear discs option at the dealership itself? I think its a Rs 25K upgrade over the regular model. Why did you have to write to Hyundai for an upgrade?

Quote:
Hyundai provides no additional operation manual or technical data with auto transmission - even on request ! The user has to figure it out.
Hyundai is very secretive with its technology, as if they're NASA or something. They're the only company who refuse to sell you workshop manuals, and even asking for a basic change in eletricals meets with the warranty getting void. Definitely not cars for DIY enthusiasts.

Quote:
Interiors are light in color, airy,cheerful but stain easily.
Agreed. Get an interior cleaning done (costs Rs 500) everytime you visit the service centre. Otherwise they'll start looking stained and old in no time.
Old 16th July 2009, 01:09   #13
BHPian

[quote=predatorwheelz;1383131]

I'm a little puzzled here. Weren't you offered the ABS + rear discs option at the dealership itself? I think its a Rs 25K upgrade over the regular model. Why did you have to write to Hyundai for an upgrade?

QUOTE]

Thanks predatorwheelz.

Sorry for the error in the post. Mixed up airbags and ABS. Wrote to hyundai for a possibility of an airbag upgrade. Not possible.

ABS and rear disks are now standard with the SX model.

Alloys,185/65, 5.5J x14" wheels, auto aircon, radio/cd/mp3 player, remote central locking, 4door power windows with driver autodown, power ORVMs,luggage net, tripmeter with distance to empty function, outside temperature function, leather wrapped steering grip and AT stalk come alongwith the SX model in 2009.

As compared to verna/accent sold in other countries the missed items are airbags, steering wheel remote controls, fuel efficiency indicator on tripmeter, alarm function on remote central locking, sunroof, rear parking sensors, cigar lighter socket, ashtray box in cental console, rear fogs, tooltray in luggage area.

Auto transmission 4speed, sold by hyundai/kia/dodge for accent/verna, kia rio,
dodge attitude is the same as the provided by hmil. A tried and proven AT all over the world.

AT with diesel verna/accent combination is sold only in a few places in the world. Turkey and neighbouring countries through hyundai turkey.
Model name - accent era.

The diesel verna in india by hmil seems to be a bit of an experiment as diesels are popular in india due to fuel efficiency and differential fuel pricing.

Most countries in the world prefer gasoline(petrol) automatics. North america, south america, australia, south africa, europe russia and CIS, are some regions where the accent/verna, kia rio, dodge attitude, is sold with same AT with the petrol 1.6 or 1.4 VTVT engine.

Info on the torque charecteristics of the kia derived 1.5litre CRDI mill is below
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-verna-diesel-engine.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 01:32   #14
BHPian

Posting some pictures of the car features.
'Pictures often more useful than many words'

(1) Exterior rear view with automatic, ABS and SX badging

(2) Interior view in AT model - music system is slightly angled to face driver - nice touch !

(3) LCD display indicates the driving mode.

(4) View of radio/cd/mp3 player from driving seat.

(5) Auto gear selector with overdrive button.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-verna-automatic-pics-july-2009-003b.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-verna-automatic-pics-july-2009-006.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-verna-automatic-pics-july-2009-025b.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-verna-automatic-pics-july-2009-026b.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDi SX AT - initial impressions-blue-verna-automatic-pics-july-2009-027b.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 11:49   #15
BHPian

Just wanted to know that in the LCD display which indicates the driving mode, suppose you are in "D" Mode, does it display the gear which is selected? As in does it display 1,2,3 or 4?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks