Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 17:04   #1
BHPian

TD of New Getz 1.3 GLX

Hi guys!

My colleague bought a new Getz 1.3 GLX around a couple of months back. He was complaining of a lot of issues and since I have been a Hyundai user (I had a Santro Zip plus earlier) and have driven the Getz earlier I thought of taking it for a spin.

Pros:
The gear shift was very smooth. The Driver has ample amount of space and is a very comfortable.
The AC worked well because the days are not hot at all.
The brakes are just too awesome.
Ride is very good. Most of the smaller speed breakers didn't give us a bumpy ride (Swift on the other hand is quite bumpy!).
Good mileage (according to him).

Cons:
What this car lacks is, power. At low rpms (<1700) the car grunts a lot. At rpms beyond 3k, it makes a lot of noise. It was particularly annoying me. One could not make out that this car actually churns out 82 ps!
Put on the AC and the pickup drops even further.

Overall experience was good though I would personally choose swift VDI over this one purely because it is very peppy!

My friend's complaints to which I agreed:
1. The Noise insulation doesn't seem good. This is amazing! The moment an auto goes past the driver seat, you can hear the auto's sound as if the windows were open (We had closed the windows). You won't hear the same auto sound when he is just in front !

2. With AC on I didn't find the engine that torquey enough. It was not able to do a small climb as easy my Santro (with AC on) would have done. The power drop is too much!
Old 17th July 2009, 17:23   #2
BHPian

I also own a Getz 1.3 and I would agree to most of the points you have mentioned.

However, the mileage can be lot better. I get only about 10 in city and 13 in highways with AC.

You are right on the power/torque part of it. I often have to downshift in city crawling conditions. And yes, the moment the AC is switched on one could feel the load on the engine and drop of pickup.

I find my spark better suited for city driving and feels more peppy than the Getz.

On the sound insulation, I feel it is adequately insulated and I do not face the problem which you have faced.

I have made some performance modifications such as FFE, irridium plugs, synthetic oil, Green cotton wind filter and the lower end torque has improved and power drop with AC on has reduced and driveability has improved. However still it has left lot to be desired of.
Old 17th July 2009, 17:35   #3
BHPian

Yes, while most of the points are correct (to some extent) for the getz 1.3, I too feel the noice insulation is good. The FE is between 10 and 14 based on the driving conditions and driving style.
Old 17th July 2009, 17:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
On the sound insulation, I feel it is adequately insulated and I do not face the problem which you have faced.
Even I am wondering about this! Anyways, I'll ask my friend to go the service center and get it checked. Lets see what he has to say. I'll ask him to take a TD of a demo vehicle with *** and so that he too can feel the difference.
The efficiency of getz would be good as it is has the torque seems to be too less. One more thing that I found was the handling at high speeds which was no way near the Santro. The steering on a standstill with the engine feels a little heavier than the santro but that is expected because of the broader profile of the tyres I guess.
Old 17th July 2009, 18:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too own a Getz 1.3 so this is what my experience is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Pros:
The gear shift was very smooth. The Driver has ample amount of space and is a very comfortable.
The AC worked well because the days are not hot at all.
The brakes are just too awesome.
Ride is very good. Most of the smaller speed breakers didn't give us a bumpy ride (Swift on the other hand is quite bumpy!).
Good mileage (according to him).

Cons:
What this car lacks is, power. At low rpms (<1700) the car grunts a lot. At rpms beyond 3k, it makes a lot of noise. It was particularly annoying me. One could not make out that this car actually churns out 82 ps!

Overall experience was good though I would personally choose swift VDI over this one purely because it is very peppy!

My friend's complaints to which I agreed:
1. The Noise insulation doesn't seem good. This is amazing! The moment an auto goes past the driver seat, you can hear the auto's sound as if the windows were open (We had closed the windows). You won't hear the same auto sound when he is just in front !

2. With AC on I didn't find the engine that torquey enough. It was not able to do a small climb as easy my Santro (with AC on) would have done. The power drop is too much!
1. The AC in Getz is superb (as in all Hyundai cars). Even in peak Mumbai summers, I hardly needed to go to blower level 3. It was cooling very well and very quickly.

2. I agree on the lack of power. Even I feel the engine grunts a lot on lower and higher RPMs.

3. I would not agree on the noise insulation part. Getz is one solidly damped hatch - so much so that you dont need damping when installing ICE. I myself feel a noticeable difference once windows are rolled up. You just cannot hear outside noises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
I also own a Getz 1.3 and I would agree to most of the points you have mentioned.

However, the mileage can be lot better. I get only about 10 in city and 13 in highways with AC.

You are right on the power/torque part of it. I often have to downshift in city crawling conditions. And yes, the moment the AC is switched on one could feel the load on the engine and drop of pickup.

I find my spark better suited for city driving and feels more peppy than the Getz.

I have made some performance modifications such as FFE, irridium plugs, synthetic oil, Green cotton wind filter and the lower end torque has improved and power drop with AC on has reduced and driveability has improved. However still it has left lot to be desired of.
4. Yes, pickup with AC on is noticeable but not that much.

5. FE is not too good. I get 9-10 with AC within city and 12-14 with AC on highway.

I was expecting maybe a km more in each range.

P.S. Does synthetic engine oil improve low end torque?
Old 17th July 2009, 18:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
P.S. Does synthetic engine oil improve low end torque?
Dont count me on this. I may be totally wrong. AFAIK, the FFE, wind filter should help in improving the low end torque. The synthetic oil, plugs should help in improving the rev-happy nature of the vehicle.
Old 17th July 2009, 19:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
I once drove a friend's Getz 1.3 a few months after he purchased it. I drove it only in the city. The lack of power was so obvious. With the AC on, the power drop was pretty significant. I've had another colleague complain about the same issues with his car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks