Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:20   #1
BHPian

Finally!!! booked a Punto MJD E Pk

Morning Fellow BHPians,

First of all I would to thank all the members for their reviews and initial ownership reviews which has helped me to arrive at this decision.

My saga with Punto and Linea started in last week of June when I took my first test drive of Punto and Linea. I was in two minds and was unable to decided between Punto and Linea. I went back home and started disussing with my parents and wife. We came to conclusion that since I have OHC 1.3 EXi (which I am planning to keep) I should go for a smaller car.

I then went back again and took the test drive of Punto MJD and FIRE. Finally I then decided to go for MJD (Diesel was no brainer as my commute is 70+ KM in NCR)

So, yesterday I went to the dealer and gave the booking amount for Medium Grey MJD E Pk. There was lot of discussion on the color I wanted to go for white but my father liked Medium Grey. So I went by my fathers choice.

I would like to thank ghost_rider whom I met at one of the NCR dealer to make up my mind.

Thanks all, please PM for the dealer name and details of the deal.

Now, the tough part starts, the long wait and the loan process, dealer told me it will take approximately 20 days for delivery.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

How would you compare the Punto MJD to your OHC 1.3?
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:41   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your choice.Wish you a short and sweet waiting period.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:51   #4
BHPian

Thanks Amit,

To be honest this is the first time I have driven a diesel vehicle and I was driving like petrol head. And I was like, this car moves very slowly.

I then readjusted to the diesel engine driving basics (thanks to Team BHP) and really enjoyed driving punto in my second test drive. The steering is well weighted she glided over potholes like nothing is beneath it. My OHC would just wobble here and there on the pot holes.
I didnt feel much difference in the initial pick up (may be torque from the diesel is culprit here ). But the OHC engine is butter smooth without any noise or clatter just sweet music from the engine.

I have now around 119K on OHC ODO and it still drives like a dream. I dont know whether MJD will give me the same amount of service or not. In my OHC I have to be very careful while going over bumps with 5 pax on board. But I am now used to it and have leant the technique to gover bumps in OHC.

Though I have not take Punto over 100 KMPH during test drive but I felt that GP is much more stable than my OHC.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:53   #5
BHPian

@speedKrazy

Thank you for your wishes. I hope that the wait is not too long.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:37   #6
BHPian

Congratulation PK on your booking. you made a right decision and i am sure you will enjoy every moment of your drive.

BTW which dealer in the NCR and what all discounts are you getting ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:45   #7
BHPian

Congratulations pk. Switching between petrol and diesel calls for attitude adjustment. I drive Uno and personally I think that first and second gears are provided barely to provide inertia. After that, in B2B traffic also, 3rd gear suffices. How was your dealership experience?
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:09   #8
BHPian

congrats on your booking. please post your dealer experience, details of freebies offered as well as pics of your car when you get her.! till them have a happy but restless wait!
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
I would like to thank ghost_rider whom I met at one of the NCR dealer to make up my mind.
No prizes for guessing which dealer this is. I picked up my Punto from the same dealer as well.

On the other hand, this guy (ghost_rider) has single handedly taken on the task of reviving Fiat in India.

Congrats pk_del. Wish you many happy miles with your Punto.
Old 4th August 2009, 01:10   #10
BHPian

Thank you NK, Sunil, Sachin and NutsNBolts. My experience with the dealer was quite good and very professional.

I started interacting with the dealer at Okhla and took couple of test drives. Then the process of negotiaitions started with Okhla dealer and another dealer in Peeragarhi...

I took pains convincing my colleagues to go for Punto so that we could get some corporate discount. After lot of phone calls and email traffic I was able to convince peeragarhi dealer to include my company's name in Cat A and availed 6K discount.

In parallel I was also calling up Okhla dealer to send me invoice so that I can start my loan process. But it just happened a case of "communication gap" that the Okhla dealer could/did not call me back and I also got frustrated and then went to peeragarhi and gave the booking amt.

Later on today I met the sales person of Okhla dealership and he mentioned me that he was unwell and that is why he was not able to follow up on my case. I felt sad for him and told him that he could have atleast asked some one to follow up with me. As a goodwill gesture I introduced my colleagues to him and asked him to dedicatedly follow up with my colleagues. I hope he can get some business from them.

Discounts - I just got 6K discount corporate discount. No freebies and nothing else. Rs. 18,130 Insurance was quoted to me, but I am planning to get it from bajaj allianz. They quoted around 13K.

I hope I will be able to buy my first new car. In 2003 I had to cancel my Acura TSX booking in USA because of some unavoidable circumstances....I am just keeping my fingers crossed and praying to God that all goes well.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:48   #11
BHPian

Hello,

Can some one tell me when do we get to know the Chassis number and VIN? During the transit or when the car physically arrives in the showroom.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats PK! Enjoy the Bold Italian drive!

If the dealer has placed the order with Fiat and if Fiat has despatched the car, the dealer will have the Chasis & VIN No.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:46   #13
BHPian

Congrates Mate!!

A word of caution! There is a lot of delays in Punto deliveries, so be wary with what the dealer has to say.
Old 6th August 2009, 00:47   #14
BHPian

Thanks finneyp and cliffHanger, I spoke to dealer today and he mentioned that the car will be dispatched tomorrow.

I will meet the dealer over the weekend and check the status with him. I am now trying to get my loan approved from SBI. Bank is closed for the next two days due to countrywide strike. I will meet the bank ppl on Monday for the loan. As of now I am enjoying my OHC and dreaming of Punto
Old 27th August 2009, 20:56   #15
BHPian

I am not sure how to modify the thread title. Mods Please help here

25th Aug:

Well, got a call from dealer on Tuesday noon mentioning that my car has arrived and I can pick it up. I was in a meeting with the customer and was unable to control my excitement.

26th Aug:

I spoke to my boss and took a half day off on 26th.

10:30 AM
Went straight to the dealer and the sales guy took me to the yard where my baby was sitting. She was sitting on the cleaning bay waiting for my approval. I then started checking her (inputs taken by ghost_rider) and made sure that the pre PDI things were OK . The ODO reading was 27 KM. I checked the rust suspectible areas, specially the axles. Here I noted that the axles were painted black...any one else noted this...

Checked the Chassis number and confirmed that the car was manufatured in Aug 2009. I confirmed this with Fiat guys in Ranjangaon facility too.

12:30 PM
Came back from the yard checked the dealers invoice and confirmed the chassis number and engine number. Dealer made the proforma invoice again as I took the insurance from Bajaj (got it for approx Rs.13,700; Dealer was quoting Rs. 18000/=). Paid the margin money to the dealer and took the receipts of it.

1:15 PM
Started heading to SBI in CP but unfortunately the roads were jam due to heavy downpour. I had to turn back and then decided to go to Gurgaon for my customers meeting.

3:30 PM
Called up dealer that the remaining amt will be paid by 27th Aug. And told him to take care of my baby.

27th Aug

The morning started with Punto discussions with my wifey and she said try to get the car today as its Thursday. I told her will try my best. Went to office did some pending work. Had a meeting with my boss on customer cases. After lunch around 3:00 PM I called up my Father in law and requested him to check with SBI if I can come today.

SBI folks were very nice and told that he can come today and we will see if we can give the DD. I reached SBI at 4:25 PM and completed all the formalities by 5:15 PM. But it was too late, bank ppl told me that they will give the DD in the morning. Called up the dealer and updated him on the same.

With a heavy heart I went to notrary to get an affidavit done and came back home.

Now here i am sitting at home thinking abt my baby in the yard and typing. This moment is like courtship period where you want to be with your woud be better half all the time but cant help it.

I will get the following done after the delivery:
Under body rust coating, 3M film, and leather seats.

Most Viewed