Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 09:38   #106
BHPian

Don't you guys feel that it is ironic that the German cars start having issues after just 5 years considering German Engineering is supposedly the best. We have a 14yr old Fiat Palio at home on which we only had to change the clutch plate, brake pads and tyres till now apart from the regular service.
Is this a ploy from the luxury german manufacturers. Make sub-standard products so they can earn in repairs.
Old 24th March 2016, 11:50   #107
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d- Sheer Driving Pleasure indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
I concur wholeheartedly with v&v- have attached the service history of the BMW I sold last. Please take note it was serviced at the Platino Classic in Kochi and gives a wealth of information on the parts that were replaced by the previous owner(s) and all problems the vehicle had.
Thanks Jacob for the detailed service history of your car.

Could you tell the prices of wear and tear items like shock absorbers, brake pads etc. as I am able to find prices in the sheet. Are these available outside the dealership network also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Don't you guys feel that it is ironic that the German cars start having issues after just 5 years considering German Engineering is supposedly the best. We have a 14yr old Fiat Palio at home on which we only had to change the clutch plate, brake pads and tyres till now apart from the regular service.
Is this a ploy from the luxury german manufacturers. Make sub-standard products so they can earn in repairs.
I would agree would you here, that's why I am trying to do detailed research before I even start looking too see if it's worth it.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:10   #108
BHPian

Hi Foxbat, Front brakepads cost around 28,000 INR- unsure about the other parts as I had to replace only these and the tires(purchased the Michelin Primacy 3ST).

There were none in Trivandrum that could replace this and I had to drive all the way to Kochi for these. Certain Delhi would have European car garages that could do this for you
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 13:20   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Hi Foxbat, Front brakepads cost around 28,000 INR- unsure about the other parts as I had to replace only these and the tires(purchased the Michelin Primacy 3ST).

There were none in Trivandrum that could replace this and I had to drive all the way to Kochi for these. Certain Delhi would have European car garages that could do this for you
These are prices at the BMW dealership right? The BMW service at Trivandrum didn't have them?
Old 24th March 2016, 13:37   #110
BHPian

Yes, the prices I said are those of BMW. They don't yet have a service center in Trivandrum and the closest is Kochi which is circa 200 kms away.
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 00:10   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I would agree would you here, that's why I am trying to do detailed research before I even start looking too see if it's worth it.
With what little research I have done, the only way I would own a German Luxury Barge would be via an operating lease. An operating lease is the most hassle-free way of owning such a car. This method however, only works for businessmen who can easily save as much in tax as one would on a normal lease. In an operating lease, a business can show the entire price of the car including insurance and road tax, as an expense and save a lot of money as tax savings.

If I were buying one, I personally would stick to Japanese cars.
Old 25th March 2016, 08:03   #112
v&v
Senior - BHPian

It's not that BMW's are high maintenance cars but the price bracket they are we try to compare the service cost to a sub 10L car. Buying a pre owned needs detailed scrutiny of ownership behaviour and the service history. Most importantly one should identify a garage which can handle the running issues after BSI

A simple example the BMW Original battery costs 24k but an Exide cost around 10K now why the difference..

Read this article
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/replac...ous-1681775778

So it's always better to buy a less driven car for a premium over a high Odo or 5plus year car.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 08:40   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
It's not that BMW's are high maintenance cars but the price bracket they are we try to compare the service cost to a sub 10L car. Buying a pre owned needs detailed scrutiny of ownership behaviour and the service history. Most importantly one should identify a garage which can handle the running issues after BSI

A simple example the BMW Original battery costs 24k but an Exide cost around 10K now why the difference..

Read this article
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/replac...ous-1681775778

So it's always better to buy a less driven car for a premium over a high Odo or 5plus year car.
I get that. But as a businessman who can afford to pay for that car, I won't have the time to run around doing research and searching for that one good deal. I can go and buy the car, brand new from the showroom with cash. However, if I do so, I am at the mercy of the dealer if the car is a lemon. Also, we have already seen, that once you have paid, it doesn't matter to the companies whether you have paid 1.5cr or 10L for the car. That attitude is deplorable.

In an operating lease, again for a businessman, there are a lot of benefits. Firstly, you get nearly same amount of tax benefits as what you would get if you were selling the car. So that's one headache taken care of. Secondly, you don't have to worry about how the dealership treats your car. Thirdly, if you find in the first few months, that your car is a lemon, you can raise hue and cry and try to get it replaced. It will have more impact because you haven't paid them much and they would be very wary of turning it into a legal battle as they are the ones who have to make you pay and not the other way around.

So considering all the above points, for a buyer buying a new car and one who can afford it, the only way I would buy a german car, given the stories we hear, would be on an operating lease.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2019 at 20:41. Reason: Formatted for readability
Old 25th March 2016, 09:35   #114
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Didn't find a relevant thread so posting it here, mods please move to a relevant thread if needed :

I was considering buying a used 35-40k run 2010-11 BMW 320d CE.
. Since it's more than 5 years old it wouldn't be under the BSI.

Would this be a wise choice? I can afford to spend 50-70k a year maintaining it(not that I want to )

My running is not more than 6k a year, would it be better to look for a 320i?

Also what's a good price for one? I see huge variations in asking prices.
Well in Mumbai the going rate for a 2010-11 CE would be between 12-14l or a tad bit more depending on the condition and the km's run. Do try and look for a car with the update 184bhp (earlier was 177bhp) engine and the much lighter servotronic steering. The easiest way apart from decoding the vin to tell if the vehicle has these features, is to see the steering wheel. If its the smaller sportier steering wheel with metal trim on it, then its got the updates.

Maintenance will be around what you have said, though considering your usage and how the previous owner maintained it, the cost will be below 50-70k in most years and possible a bit higher in some.

You can also maintain these cars at independent garages, and buy OEM parts (Not OE, but OEM - the brand who supplies the original part to BMW) and save a lot. For eg - Brake discs and pads from BMW will cost you almost a lac to change. Buying OEM will be less than half of that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 13:51   #115
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well in Mumbai the going rate for a 2010-11 CE would be between 12-14l or a tad bit more depending on the condition and the km's run. Do try and look for a car with the update 184bhp (earlier was 177bhp) engine and the much lighter servotronic steering. The easiest way apart from decoding the vin to tell if the vehicle has these features, is to see the steering wheel. If its the smaller sportier steering wheel with metal trim on it, then its got the updates.

Maintenance will be around what you have said, though considering your usage and how the previous owner maintained it, the cost will be below 50-70k in most years and possible a bit higher in some.

You can also maintain these cars at independent garages, and buy OEM parts (Not OE, but OEM - the brand who supplies the original part to BMW) and save a lot. For eg - Brake discs and pads from BMW will cost you almost a lac to change. Buying OEM will be less than half of that.
Thanks Akshay for the info, where do you buy these OEM parts? Online or some place in Mumbai?

The prices in Delhi seem to be almost 2-3L lower. I might be relocating to Delhi soon so putting my search on hold for a while.
Old 9th May 2016, 19:49   #116
BHPian

In my search for a E90 320d in Mumbai I have come across a 2010 model highline and a 2012 corporate edition both run about 30-40k kms and with full service history.

Both have nearly the same asking price.

In terms of reliability would there be any difference due to age? Should I give preference to the newer one even though mileage is the same?
Old 1st June 2017, 13:48   #117

Hello,

Last month after a lot of contemplation on whether to buy a used BMW or new Verna. I decided to go ahead and take the risk of a used 2008 BMW 320d.

This is the first time I am either buying a Luxury car or a used car for that matter.
The risk i was taking was buying a car with inadequate knowledge about how to check the car.

I did go to BMW and spoke to the gentleman in-charge of their pre-owned division.

He gave me a few tips very patiently spending a good 45 mins with me.

This is worth a mention---Interestingly as i walked into the show room, I was warmly greeted by a smart lady executive who came wished me with direct eye contact.
As I started explaining that I am looking for information on pre owned cars, It was a shocker to observe: the smile on her face instantly disappeared, her eyes went straight to shoes, as she asked us to be seated and went to speak to the manager.
It was a good laugh for me, but this seriously was something I will remember.

Coming back to the topic. I went on to finally find a Silver 320d done 68k, and took it to the ASC. The Adviser told me that the car was fine has no accidents and nothing is really drastically wrong with the car from the service history which can be accessed on his comp with help of the car key.
I asked him if he could do a thorough check up which they have, but he said it wasnt really necessary for this car, unless its a deal for 30-40L. That would be charged at Rs. 8000/-

His observations were :

1. Suspension wont last more than 10K.
2. Generally that car was clean.

So I said lets go ahead and make the deal.

The seller was clear 8.5 L so i said ok. deal done. Got the Car.

Straight to an independent mechanic.
Suspension Job:

1. Replace Struts with bushes.
2. Upper and Lower control arm bushes set.
3. new Link rods
4. Bumper painting

Got Sachs Brand parts
Set me back 50k.

Was happy with the work but only about 85 % satisfaction.

Drove for a few days and observed some whining sound around 1000-1400 rpm with the a/c on.

This was diagnosed to the coolant pump wearing out. When the a/c was turned on the pressure is felt by the coolant pump hence the grinding/whining sound.

So the part was sourced Brand GEBS cost 10800. And is being fixed by a mechanic from the ASC. about to receive the vehicle by this evening.

I was also told that the compressor was not rotating freely, this could be checked by changing the oil and refilling the a/c gas. also the other pulleys need to be checked for any play.

I am expecting the bill to set me back another 25K.

I did the following diy to it.

1. Added some CF wrapping to some panels.
2. Perennial problem with old BMWs are the inner door grab handles, which I removed then wrapped in PU and refixed them. The door handles melt with the heat, perhaps we get a euro spec model not meant for Indian summers.
(If anyone needs detailed instructions for this process do let me know I will be happy to help.)

Bless my new journey.

Thanks
Sushant
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d- Sheer Driving Pleasure indeed-img_20170521_071752_hdr.jpg  

BMW 320d- Sheer Driving Pleasure indeed-img_20170521_074700_hdr.jpg  

BMW 320d- Sheer Driving Pleasure indeed-img_20170521_084257.jpg  

BMW 320d- Sheer Driving Pleasure indeed-img20170524wa0005.jpeg  

BMW 320d- Sheer Driving Pleasure indeed-img_20170524_203613.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2017 at 08:17. Reason: Language
Slider is offline   (11) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st October 2017, 16:35   #118
BHPian

Hi Sushant,

I've been looking for a DIY fix for the melted door handles as well for my e90, as the service center quoted around 5k for the part plus labour etc.

Would be really great if you could provide me the instructions on how you went about this.

Thanks,

Ishaan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Hello,

Last month after a lot of contemplation on whether to buy a used BMW or new Verna. I decided to go ahead and take the risk of a used 2008 BMW 320d.

This is the first time I am either buying a Luxury car or a used car for that matter.
The risk i was taking was buying a car with inadequate knowledge about how to check the car.

I did the following diy to it.

1. Added some CF wrapping to some panels.
2. Perennial problem with old BMWs are the inner door grab handles, which I removed then wrapped in PU and refixed them. The door handles melt with the heat, perhaps we get a euro spec model not meant for Indian summers.
(If anyone needs detailed instructions for this process do let me know I will be happy to help.)

Last edited by navin : 31st October 2017 at 17:10. Reason: Please only quote relevant part of the message
Old 10th January 2019, 05:08   #119
A C

I am considering purchasing a 2012 320D (E91) run about 75,000 kms, single owner car. Could anybody please help me with the things I should check before closing the deal and the things I need to be wary of considering it’s run a fair bit. A quick response would be much appreciated as I need to close the deal in a day or so.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th January 2019 at 05:58. Reason: As requested
Old 10th January 2019, 19:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A C View Post
I am considering purchasing a 2012 320D (E91) run about 75,000 kms, single owner car. Could anybody please help me with the things I should check before closing the deal and the things I need to be wary of considering it’s run a fair bit. A quick response would be much appreciated as I need to close the deal in a day or so.
This is the facelift of the E90 and comes with Angel eyes.
- Tyres : It came with run flats, they are expensive to replace. Try to bring down the asking price if they are due for replacement soon
- Flood : Check if the car was involved with hydrothermia issues, most of the times they get written off if water gets sucked into the engine through the tail pipe
- Under body : Check for rough usage damage in the underbody area after hoisting the car up. Its low on clearance and should be pussy footed over speed breakers

BMW themselves sell used cars on their website. I recently saw a petrol E90 going for 8 lakhs. The cars they sell go thorough a check point but you cannot buy any warranty or AMC on them

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks