Team-BHP - Joined i20 club, Neighbor's envy Owner's Pride
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Joined i20 club, Neighbor's envy Owner's Pride (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/65443-joined-i20-club-neighbors-envy-owners-pride.html)

Hi Friends,

I am not good in writing (always scored very badly in easy writing), therefore request you all to forgive me if you find it little boring. It became little lengthy though I tried not to duplicate the observations already shared by other members.

Since the launch of the i20 I got attracted towards this car. In March 2009, I was very much tempted to get this vehicle and went to showroom to get details and find out how much I can get for my Santro. I got somewhat discouraged as I found out I can get only 2.30 to 2.4 lakhs for my car. Then I also understood that Jazz and Punto also launching, hence decided to wait for both Launches. Then comes June and both vehicles were launched and my decision was made.

Why I shortlisted i20:

I have shortlisted i20 on the following grounds.

Exteriors and Interiors: I found i20 most beautiful among the segment (i.e. Jazz, Punto, Fabia, Swift and Ritz). It’s my perception, hence very subjective. No offence to anyone. As mentioned by some member, its front is complete copy of Mercedes SLK; yes it is and I liked that. When I saw first time I immediately got the feeling of big car (yes Punto also gives that impression but not Jazz. Again it’s my perception.) I really loved its front and the side curves. Though I didn’t like its back much but I am ok with it. Interiors, as mentioned by many members it really gives up-market feeling. Consider, its dash board or ICE or dials or steering wheel everything gives feeling of richness.

Build Quality: After going thru the many articles and most importantly review of Team BHP members, I was thoroughly convinced that this car is build to last. Also, when I understood that this car is designed in Germany, which gave me further comfort.

Ride quality: After driving Santro for 2 years I felt i20’s ride quality much superior.

Value for Money: I found this car Value for money in every aspect.

Cabin Space: I wanted to have spacious car for long drives which I found Santro was not (I have travelled to Noida-Nainital with full load and Mumbai-Mahabaleshwar with 2 people on board). And found this car is quite spacious in which 5 people can travel with ease.

My experience so far with the Car:

Till now the car has completed 3600 kms, since 27t June. I would like to share my experience of the cars in terms of long drives, one Mumbai to Noida and another Noida to Amritsar and return.

Mumbai to Noida: on 3rd July I have started from Mumbai and I opted for Mumbai-Ahmadabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Delhi route. Total distance travelled is 1400 kms. This was before 1st service, I checked with showroom person and he said it won’t be any issue only do not push vehicle too much. Hence, I was not pushing vehicle beyond 4000 RPM and also kept varying the speed as suggested in manual. Also, after every 2 hours I use to take break both for myself (I smoke) and for car. Now comes the driving experience. If someone asks me to describe my experience in one word I will say “ WOW”. I travelled for 2 days (1 night stay at Udaipur) and when I reached Noida there was no fatigue et all, maybe I was too engrossed with my baby (i.e my car). During my whole drive I never felt engine is underpowered. Disclaimer: I was only person in the car so it was not fully loaded. Further, during Mumbai to Delhi drive there are no hilly areas. The handling I found quite good most of the times, in respect of turns at high speed i.e. 90 KMPH – 100 KMPH, only thing what we need to do is to be quite alert at all times and get used to its steering. In quite fa ew reviews (experts like overdrive etc.) I read / heard about steering non-responsive at high speeds. But I didn’t found anything of that sort, the speed mentioned above I navigated most of the turns with quite accurately (meaning by never entered in other lane). Please forgive me, if my interpretation of steering non-responsive is wrong. Most of the time I found car is solid like rock even at speeds like 130 kmph (Express-way of Baroda- Ahmadabad), but when it comes on uneven surface (last 50 kms of Udaipur – Jaipur stretch) it gives you a little discomfort if you are driving above 110 kmph, the moment you come to 110 or little below then it becomes again butter smooth. Breaks with ABS / EBD are quite good and gives lot of confidence.
Noida – Amritsar and Back: Most of the experience of the car is same as Mumbai-Noida trip. Except, during this trip sometimes I pushed my vehicle little hard and achieved a speed of 145 kmph. Since this trip was after 1st service, I wanted to check what happens when I push vehicle little hard. Well, I found that it can go 145 if you keep it pushing. Actually, I did bit of racing with Swift and City and I am quite happy that though I haven’t won the race nor I lost it. I observed that when I was racing with those drivers they were also trying to compete; hence it was not one sided race.
During both the trips I have not calculated mileage very precisely but roughly I got around 17 kmpl. I am planning to calculate it in my forth coming trip i.e. Noida-Mumbai on 1st October.

congratulations on your purchase, Happy motoring. Which trim level did you buy? and what about the freebies/discounts/final deal?

Congrats on your new i20. Do share some pics with us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anuj_Mumbai (Post 1482454)
Actually, I did bit of racing with Swift and City and I am quite happy that though I haven’t won the race nor I lost it. I observed that when I was racing with those drivers they were also trying to compete; hence it was not one sided race.

Also, road racing is strictly banned in teambhp, and its dangerous too - so please be a responsible bhpian and refrain from road racing :)

Again, congrats!

Hey highway rider, Welcome to Team-BHP and congrats on your car. Yours is a long trip man. Its really a good car for long drives.
Pl. post some pics of your ride.
Enjoy the journey and drive safe.

You missed some stuff :)

1) Model of car (though mentioned in your sig )
2) Color !
3) The year you bought the Santro and the model

I would rate i20 better in looks, built quality and A.S.S. than its competition.

And why not make the thread more colorful with some pix of the beauty.
Do refrain from racing on public road (though the one you had helped you know your car more).

Congrats on the new car anuj, welcome to the i20 club! The fe that you are getting is very good, especially since the car is new. I'm sure it will improve once the car runs more. Pls post some pix too! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by maglev (Post 1482712)
congratulations on your purchase, Happy motoring. Which trim level did you buy? and what about the freebies/discounts/final deal?

Thanks Maglev. No I didn't got any discount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 1482741)
Congrats on your new i20. Do share some pics with us.
Also, road racing is strictly banned in teambhp, and its dangerous too - so please be a responsible bhpian and refrain from road racing :)

Again, congrats!

Thanks Blackasta. This racing was just to know how my vehicle fares against these vehicles. Yes, I am aware that its not good to have road race but mine was just pushing the vehicle little hard with complete concentration on road. Nevertheless, I take this advice and will follow the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mech (Post 1482853)
Hey highway rider, Welcome to Team-BHP and congrats on your car. Yours is a long trip man. Its really a good car for long drives.
Pl. post some pics of your ride.
Enjoy the journey and drive safe.

Thanks Mech. Yes, indeed its really nice car for long drive, atleast my experience is so.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1482949)
You missed some stuff :)

1) Model of car (though mentioned in your sig )
2) Color !
3) The year you bought the Santro and the model

I would rate i20 better in looks, built quality and A.S.S. than its competition.

And why not make the thread more colorful with some pix of the beauty.
Do refrain from racing on public road (though the one you had helped you know your car more).

Thanks Jkdas. Sorry I missed that.
i20 Model : Asta 1.2 Petrol.
Color : Dark Grey Metallic (I wanted to have Sparkle Blue but didn't got it. After getting the car I found this also looks great.)
Santro: Bought in March 2007 and sold in June 2009 (to my very close friend) It was Xing XO and I got fitted Parking sensor, Leather seats, Alpine Stereo, Signal lights on OVRM.
Yes I also missed few more things.
1. I forgot to mention about the features in this car which was actually main decision point for me to select i20. And safety aspect also was major consideration.
2. I have done extra fittings as follows :
a. Parking sensor (Blackcat - Monitor type. I have not opted for mirror type as I found in my Santro if we get those mirror type they don't come with night vision and I am very particular on that because I use it extensively during my night drives.) This costed me Rs. 4400/-
b. Front Central arm rest. Cost Rs. 3000/- this is real good on long drives (no when I did above mentioned drives it was not there, I got it recently)
c. Changed seat covers now I have with cloth ones with velvet finish. Again I have not opted for leather seat covers (vendor was ehind my life for it saying with this high class car you should have leather seat covers) as I experienced in my Santro that due leather seat covers I sweat a lot, hence gone for cloth ones. Here, I have done little trick, I asked vendor to put extra foam and its really worked well. Seats are more comfortable and also it increased the height bit (though Driver seat has height adjustment, but if you increase height seat moves forward and I am 5' 11", therefore I do not want to go forward) which gives very good driving position.
d. Two extra speakers in back tray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 1482989)
Congrats on the new car anuj, welcome to the i20 club! The fe that you are getting is very good, especially since the car is new. I'm sure it will improve once the car runs more. Pls post some pix too! :)

And about pictures, here we go. But friends forgive me for bad quality pictures, it is mainly due to my HTC Touch Cruise (Mobile) camera is not good and I am not good photographer either.

really envy that FATC and steering mounted controls.

Yes Blackasta, the steering mounted controls are really very useful. In fact, when I was in US I drove Toyata Corolla and Pontiac and both had steering mounted controls, since then I always wanted to have it in my car. While driving on highways it really helps lot, you need not to loose your concentration to change music or volume. I am sorry but I didn't get FATC, I am quite poor in short forms.

Congrats!
How about a pic of Front Central arm rest?
I rem many Punto owners were thinking how to get a Front Central arm rest in Punto so they can take a cue from the pic of i20.
Enjoy the beauty!
Cheers.

The i20 doesnt have a front arm rest...

How did you get one fit? Please post some pics and cost..

FATC - Fully Automated Temperature Control. Its the climate control system that you have in i20.

The Mazda I used to drive in US did not have steering mounted audio controls either (had steering mounted cruise control !), so I do not really miss them - but wanted them badly in my i10.
i10 Asta being the highest trim level should have had FATC + Alloys + wider tires + steering mounted controls , even as an option pack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 1484412)
Congrats!
How about a pic of Front Central arm rest?
I rem many Punto owners were thinking how to get a Front Central arm rest in Punto so they can take a cue from the pic of i20.
Enjoy the beauty!
Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhiJ (Post 1484428)

Thanks Harry. Yes Abhij, you are right, i20 do not come with front arm rest, I got it fitted from out side. Actually, it is sort of universal stuff, which can be fitted in any car. As mentioned earlier the cost is Rs. 3000/- (I think I remember correctly, I will once again check with Vendor.). In 4th photograph from top it is little bit visible, I will try to take better picture tomorrow. I was searching on net for arm rest and found this site Hyundai i10 2008> Mini Front Seat Armrest TeamTorquesteer.co.uk . Actually, when I checked it was for i20 as well. Then I asked in the car decor shop for the same and he arranged for me and got it fitted as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 1484435)
FATC - Fully Automated Temperature Control. Its the climate control system that you have in i20.

The Mazda I used to drive in US did not have steering mounted audio controls either (had steering mounted cruise control !), so I do not really miss them - but wanted them badly in my i10.
i10 Asta being the highest trim level should have had FATC + Alloys + wider tires + steering mounted controls , even as an option pack.

Ohhh ! I am really very ignorant, in fact I have read this term in many threads but forgot the meaning. Thanks for explanation and being patient on my ignorance. Yes, with automatic they should have given cruise control. During my US driving I really enjoyed this feature. I completely agree with you that Hyundai should have given those features but some how I have seen Hyundai normally does that like in i20 they missed front arm rest a small thing but very useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhiJ (Post 1484428)

Here are Front arm rest pics.