Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 23:17   #16
BHPian

@ Everyone - Thanks a lot

I've been a little busy with Dusshera and all. But now I'll have a little time to start really reclaiming my life :P
But i have to say this that driving a Safari is actually a different high ! It can't be compared to anything and now i understand the love people have towards their Safari Cheers to the Safari club here !

And I would be starting up some mods soon.. The list goes like this ..

1) Seat Covers
2) Lenso RT-8 16x7.5J Alloys
3) 255/65/R16 tyres (Brand still a doubt)
4) ICE
Pioneer DVH-4190UB
Velocity Components in all four doors VC542
Velocity Bass Reflex Sub VB-1000
JBL 963 Ovals for rear (On HU)
4 Channel Amplifier - JBL GT5-S644 (For Components)
Mono Amplifier - Pioneer GM-D8400M (For Sub)
JBL Wiring
Head Rest Screens (Later)

Out of the list Seat Covers have already been put and I'm waiting for the Lenso's which will take another week or 10 days to come as the colour I want is out of stock..
Will surely post photos and reports of the truck along the way.

Cheers
Tushar
Old 7th October 2009, 15:53   #17
BHPian

Hey guys ..

My Safari just got ICE'd.. The list is as follows :

Pioneer DEH-6050UB ( Sourced from old car )
Velocity VC- 662 x 2 pairs (All Doors)
Blaupunkt 4 channel Amp ( sourced from old car )
Kenwood Monoblock 1800W Amp KAC-9104D
JBL Wiring x 2 kits
Currently running a Blaupunkt VB-1000 ( 1600W )

Am changing the VB-1000 to a Pioneer 2000W sub and i need some advice on a proper enclosure that doesnt take up much space and also provides the maximum quality.
Can the techies here please advice on the size of the enclosure that will be perfect for sound quality..

Thanks a lot
Tushar
Old 14th March 2010, 12:11   #18
BHPian

After a lot of visit's to my friend's shop my Safari is almost loaded. And after 16,000 kms of reclaiming my life with the beast, I couldn't be happier

I'm not so good with words so I'll try my best to write whatever i think is perfect about the truck.

Service History :
1) 1540 kms - Checkup but I insisted on getting the Oil Changed : Rs. 1670
2) 5089 kms - Regular Checkup : Rs. 0
3) 15,643 kms - Complete Service including Oil and Fuel Filter change : Rs.4767

In between the truck had visited the workshop due to minor problems in Wheel Alignment and Balancing.
The truck has been giving me a constant average of 11kmpl with 80% Highway driving and 20% City with the AC always on.

After owning the beast for more than 5 months my verdict on it would be :

Pro's :
1) Road Appeal
2) Tons of Space
3) The most comfortable for long distances
4) I don't have to worry about scraping the under-body like in my Optra
5) Excellent Power

Cons :
1) The biggest drawback to the car is the turning radius! Its hell to drive it in the old city.
2) Tata should never make a car with Beige Interiors. They don't know how to !
3) Plastic Quality in some parts is very poor. For eg. The sun visor clip broke off.

All together, even after all the cons.. I'm totally in love with the car. Its one of the most spacious, powerful and Value for money vehicle that you can buy in today's time.
And a special thumbs up for the Tata A.S.S . I used to own 2 Indica's and we were sick and tired of the service. After much reluctance we went in for the Safari just because it is and has been for years THE SUV for India. Tata Workshop - Right Motors in Jaipur has a better service department than compared to Chevrolet or Ford here.

Here is the list of Add-on's I finally got done to the car :

1) Seat Covers - Ovion Leather + PU Combination

2) ICE

Pioneer DEH-6050UB
Velocity Components in all four doors VC542
Sony XS-GTX120LT 1100W Tubed Enclosure ( Didn't consider it at first because I hate Xplod but didn't have much other choice )
4 Channel Amplifier - Kenwood 1000W KAC-7204 (For Components)
Mono Amplifier - Kenwood Monoblock 1800W KAC-9104D (For Sub)
JBL Wiring x 2
Damping in all doors
Steering Remote

3) MapMyIndia Road Pilot GPS

4) Neck-rests, Tissue box, etc from Stanley

5) Front and Rear Bull-Guards

6) Parking Sensors

7) 3M Tinting

8) Underbody Green Neon tubes :P

I will be upgrading to a DVD player and head-rest screens sometime soon. And I'll be putting in Alloys very soon if I can save up some money.

Mods : Can you please update the topic to " Got my Safari EX : Updated to 16000kms "
Attached Thumbnails
Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-sdc10148.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-sdc10149.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-sdc10150.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-sdc10153.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-sdc10154.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-sdc10155.jpg  

Old 14th March 2010, 20:47   #19
BHPian

Nice review. Some questions :

1. Can we get the car in a different seating configuration like a 2,2,3 (Captain seats) like Innova/Xylo or the last row facing forward?

2. How many times has the GPS come in use? Is it effective in the remote parts or small villages?

I had put in a DVD player in my Innova but it was rarely used. Hope you make good use of the same
Old 14th March 2010, 22:42   #20
BHPian

If you are not driving the car then the DVD in back seat can be use full.
But if you drive then a DVD is no use.

I have put a DVD player in my car with a roof mounted screen.
After that my Son always enter the car with TOM & JERRY DVD in his hand.
And i am listening the sound of that cartoon movie through out my journey.

Last edited by KALINGA : 14th March 2010 at 22:48.
Old 15th March 2010, 01:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Nice review. Some questions :

1. Can we get the car in a different seating configuration like a 2,2,3 (Captain seats) like Innova/Xylo or the last row facing forward?

2. How many times has the GPS come in use? Is it effective in the remote parts or small villages?

I had put in a DVD player in my Innova but it was rarely used. Hope you make good use of the same
Hi Prateek,

1. Safari only comes in this seat configuration. The 2,2,3 seat combination is really nice but sadly Tata doesn't offer it.

2. I've got the GPS just 5 days back and I've already done a trip from Jaipur-Udaipur-Jaipur. Didn't need the GPS there much but it did help locating ATM's

I travel a lot and considered the GPS more as an investment so picked it up.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Use 'REPORT' to contact mods for updating the thread title.
Quote:
3) 15,643 kms - Complete Service including Oil and Fuel Filter change : Rs.4767
They changed your fuel filter? IIRC,it has to happen only at 30k and then at 60k !
Old 7th August 2010, 14:50   #23
BHPian

28000 kms update + ICE finally completed with a double din install.

Hello Guys,

I recently completed 28k on my Sept '09 Safari with a little more niggles and a lot of fun throughout the journey.

After the 15000 kms service, it was running smoothly throughout with a few minor problems and 1 major problem as under :

a) Power window failure : Happens a lot of time with the FR and RR power windows. After 2 visits to the A.S.S they changed it under warranty.

b) Rattling : It is like a they didn't tighten any screws at the time of manufacturing. The complete vehicle rattles and have to send it for that once every month.

c) Front Disc Pads : Routine change at 22,000kms after complete wear-out.

d) Cluth Woes ! : After approximately 21,000 kms I felt the clutch was very hard and it was a pain if I ever had to drive the car in rush hour traffic. Finally sent it to the A.S.S, and got a full warranty replacement of the clutch plates and the pressure plates. But, I was shocked to see that the clutch can wear out at 21,000kms. As per the A.S.S, they say that there was some problem with the clutch pedal and due to that, the clutch wasn't being released properly, hence the wear-out.

e) Front wheel bushes worn-out at 27500 kms - Got a bill of just Rs.75.

And finally my ICE journey.
I don't know if I should post a separate thread in the ICE section for this, but after a lot of sleepless nights on T-BHP in the ICE section and looking around in every possible audio shop, my journey of ICE'ing is almost to an end, for now

I wanted some Punch. Not that gloomy bass, that you hear from every SUV even when you're 100 mts away. I wanted the music in my car to stay inside but give me goosebumps every time i was about to max the headunit. For that kind of music and according to service, support and availability, Pioneer was the king.

I have been a Pioneer fan for as long as I can remember. My Chevy Optra, Ikon and even the '99 Indica have a Pioneer head unit. The easy to use interface of the head units and also the value for money package and the 2yrs warranty is what always kept me hooked to the Pioneer range in India.

I started out with Audio with the Pioneer DEH-6050UB and I have to say that this is the headunit that gets 10/10 for value, sound and usability. The sound with the Velocity VC542 components and the XplodXS-GTX120LT was enough.
But then came the quest for Video in the car at which point I had 2 x RD Headrest screens installed with B/W, but was still skeptical about the headunit.

Finally, I went from Pioneer to JVC! and oh did I regret it!
I installed a JVC AVX44 with bill and warranty as the safari has a single din socket only for Head-units. But the interface is so slow and so irritating, I had to take it out the second day.

Then i went back to good old Pioneer and installed a DVH-4190UB and went ahead and installed a Pioneer Multi-Channel Processor(DEQ-P7650) with a Pioneer Center Stage Speaker(TS-CX7) and got a proper 5.1 package.
The only drawback with the DVH-4190UB was that the screen on the headunit is so small and it does not display any song or album name. I went ahead and put a front LH sunvisor Screen also to overcome that proplem. But, i still couldn't take my eyes off the road to look on the left to check the song name. It just had to go.

I had once heard about someone putting a Double-Din headunit on a Safari Console and I was very much interested to get that done. Again, back to Tbhp and every forum that had ever used the word Safari to see if anyone had ever done this. But, I couldn't find anything. Finally took the plunge one day. Opened up the Center Console and started to figue out a way to make it work. And finally, it happened. I installed an AVH-P3250DVD. I had to cut out the Cigarette Lighter Socket and the Ash-tray to Make space for the Double Din and do it neatly as I didn't know anyone here who could do some clean fiberglass work if I screwed it up. But thankfully, it was completely clean and there were no problems throughout the install . The gear lever comes in the way a bit, but I just need to look at the song and never use it for videos, so it doesn't really matter much. I'm happy that I dont have to compromise on any front now.

Complete list of ICE add-ons to the car :
1 x Pioneer AVH-P3250DVD
2 x GTA 270 Amps - 2 Channel each and each powering one components set.
1 x Xplod XM-GTR3301D - Mono-Amp
3 x JBL wiring kits
2 x RD 7" TFT Headrest Screens
1 x Pioneer DEQ-P7650 - Multi Channel Processor
1 x Pioneer TS-CX7 - Center Speaker
1 x XplodXS-GTX120LT - Sony Subwoofer tube type
1 x Reverse Camera - Attached to the headunit

Other Add-ons :
HRS 16 x 7.5J Brushed Grey Rims
Front and Rear Bullguards
Max 2000 Strobe Kit
Ovion Leather + PU Combination Seats
Underbody Green Neons

Future Add-ons :
255 Tyres at 40k kms
Damping : Have ordered it online. It should be reaching in 2 weeks.

__________________________________________________ _______-

I am now in complete love with the car and even if I have to go to a closeby market, I love taking the beast out insted of my Ikon. And, I have to mention that the quality of Tata A.S.S has improved amazingly. I call the service manager about the problem and within half an hour, a guy is at my door to collect the car and the quality of work is also wonderful. I don't get such service from the Chevrolet dealer here! Tata is doing everything it can to stay strong in India and hopefully they will keep their existing customers happy.

I'm not too much into photography, hence couldn't click any nice pics. Some of them are here :
Attached Thumbnails
Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0906.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0909.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0910.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0911.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0913.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0914.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0915.jpg  

Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update-img_0916.jpg  

Old 21st July 2011, 23:04   #24
BHPian

Re: Finally got my Safari EX :) EDIT: 28,000+ Kms Update

Hi, I am a newbie to team-BHP. I bought my beast Safari Dicor 2.2 EX 4x2 on January 31st 2011. My beast has just completed 11500 kms on odometer,completed 2 free services, volunatrily changed Engine oil at 8000 kms. I am facing one problem with my Safari. While running in 5th gear, I feel like sudden jerks (like hiccups) for a fraction of second. I enquired with TASS (Concorde motors, Mysore road, bangalore). They told that it is common. Can somebody guide me with the possible solution for this if anybody is facing the similar issue
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams_4x4 View Post
Hi, I am a newbie to team-BHP. I bought my beast Safari Dicor 2.2 EX 4x2 on January 31st 2011. My beast has just completed 11500 kms on odometer,completed 2 free services, volunatrily changed Engine oil at 8000 kms. I am facing one problem with my Safari. While running in 5th gear, I feel like sudden jerks (like hiccups) for a fraction of second. I enquired with TASS (Concorde motors, Mysore road, bangalore). They told that it is common. Can somebody guide me with the possible solution for this if anybody is facing the similar issue

Shams,

Here is the right thread to post your query:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ns-thread.html

May be you can find the solution already answered on this thread.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Shams,

Here is the right thread to post your query:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ns-thread.html

May be you can find the solution already answered on this thread.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish,
Thank you very much for redirecting me to the correct thread. Right now I am at my work place. Let me go home and try to find the solution if already posted un this thread.
Thanks again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks