Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 19:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashani View Post
Yeah it is risky but the key really needs to be close, did the proximity test for the locking mechanism and it worked only within 6-8 feet of the car and correct me if I am wrong I suppose it will get lesser as the battery in the key looses power over time.

What happens if the key battery fully runs out? is there a manual start, lock/unlock option?
Old 28th October 2009, 19:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bashani,

Car looks flashy in White color.
Enjoy and drive safe
Old 28th October 2009, 19:13   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your new toy buddy....

By the way, which tire come along with it?
Old 28th October 2009, 19:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it is risky but the key really needs to be close, did the proximity test for the locking mechanism and it worked only within 6-8 feet of the car and correct me if I am wrong I suppose it will get lesser as the battery in the key looses power over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh2 View Post
What happens if the key battery fully runs out? is there a manual start, lock/unlock option?
I think, and correct me if I am wrong, most of the proximity keys use RFID tags (kind of same thing they use on clothes in stores). So, the key would not need any power to be detected by the car, its the base that's in the car that does the search and in turn uses the car battery.

But, doesn't the car shut off it does not detect the key if someone drives it away? It would be pretty lame not to include that!
Old 28th October 2009, 19:43   #20
BHPian

Congrats bashani. Thats a stunning car. Happy cruzing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congrats,
Can you do this experiment for me? I did this during TD for a short duration.
Start car, then give key to someone else outside the car.
Drive away. Does the car switch off? Or you can run away with the key with somebody else
I think the ECU and the key will mostly have a session established (periodically 'hello'ing each other). If the ECU does not find the key in proximity, it may immobilize the engine. Owners please clarify/confirm.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:16   #21
BHPian

Awesome!!!!.Congrats on your purchase.

Looking forward to the detailed review as many in my friend circle are contemplating this mean chevy.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

The Car looks Bold . Congrats . Enjoy Safely.
Old 28th October 2009, 21:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Cruze! It's the second one of TBHP and both are white!
Is that sunroof an optional accessory or standard on the LTZ?
And i'm curious to know whether the car can be driven if the keys are given to someone else outside the car or does the key always have to be with the driver? plz let us know about this.
Old 28th October 2009, 22:01   #24
BHPian

Congratulations. I believe Chevy Cruze is a very sensible buy today for anyone who is looking for a car in price range of 12-15 lakhs. Its got the looks the diesel, luxury and GM warranty as well.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Congrats Bashani!

So, got yourself a rocket on wheels! And yes, the rubber please, do get them changed, as Nikhil said!

Wishing you a very long blessed ownership experience with the new guy!

OT:
Going "Chiggy Wiggy" eh???

EDIT:

Love the title: "Starship Enterprize"!
Thanks a tonne Happy Wheels it was either Starship Enterprise or Chiggy Wiggyin with my Chevy Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Congrats on your new toy buddy....

By the way, which tire come along with it?
You get lousy JK Vectras with it. Thinking about upgrading to Michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congrats on the Cruze! It's the second one of TBHP and both are white!
Is that sunroof an optional accessory or standard on the LTZ?
And i'm curious to know whether the car can be driven if the keys are given to someone else outside the car or does the key always have to be with the driver? plz let us know about this.
Thanks theragingbull,
Yup white seems to be a popular color, the dealer told me he has booked 4 more after people saw my white in the showroom.
The sunroof is not optional in the LTZ, the LT model comes without the sunroof and sans a host of other features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepkc View Post
I think, and correct me if I am wrong, most of the proximity keys use RFID tags (kind of same thing they use on clothes in stores). So, the key would not need any power to be detected by the car, its the base that's in the car that does the search and in turn uses the car battery.

But, doesn't the car shut off it does not detect the key if someone drives it away? It would be pretty lame not to include that!
If the car is continuously scanning around for the key wouldn't it affect its battery life?
This is how it works:
The system works by having a series of LF (low frequency 125 kHz) transmitting antennas both inside and outside the vehicle. The external antennas are located in the door handles. When the vehicle is triggered either by pulling the handle or touching the handle an LF signal is transmitted from the antennas to the key. The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID the PASE module unlocks the vehicle.
Courtesy wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Congrats bashani. Thats a stunning car. Happy cruzing.

I think the ECU and the key will mostly have a session established (periodically 'hello'ing each other). If the ECU does not find the key in proximity, it may immobilize the engine. Owners please clarify/confirm.
Haven't checked what happens when the car is running without the key near it for more than a couple of mins. I'll check if they say "hello" or not and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Congratulations. I believe Chevy Cruze is a very sensible buy today for anyone who is looking for a car in price range of 12-15 lakhs. Its got the looks the diesel, luxury and GM warranty as well.
+1 to that
It is a safe bet undoubtedly.
Old 29th October 2009, 19:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If the car is continuously scanning around for the key wouldn't it affect its battery life?
This is how it works:
The system works by having a series of LF (low frequency 125 kHz) transmitting antennas both inside and outside the vehicle. The external antennas are located in the door handles. When the vehicle is triggered either by pulling the handle or touching the handle an LF signal is transmitted from the antennas to the key. The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID the PASE module unlocks the vehicle.
Courtesy wiki.

Haven't checked what happens when the car is running without the key near it for more than a couple of mins. I'll check if they say "hello" or not and update.
Well explained. It probably uses milli watts of power for transmission, I am guessing they use smart antennas to conserve on power. So the battery won't drain more faster than it has been from before. I have read somewhere mercedes has a better tech, being they will sense where is key is located (driver side, passenger side or even in the boot) and takes appropriate action. If the key is in the boot or outside, it won't even start the engine.

And about the "hello", needless to guess, it had to come from a software programmer, lol! I am sorry, I had to say this..
Old 30th October 2009, 10:50   #27
BHPian

Checked the drive without the key issue.
You CAN drive without the key, and the car does not shut down and it is a good thing that it doesn't.
Imagine you are driving the car and for some reason the car loses contact with the key and it shuts down the engine, how threatening would that be.
Hence I guess it is not a flaw by Chevy to let the car be driven without the key.
Yes but when you turn off the engine the car shows a permanent error code 91 which ,IIRC from the manual, is for key fob not in range.
The rear visibility while reversing is dismal to say the least and the reverse parking sensors are more a need than luxury and they are confidence inspiring.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy.pls change those shoes imme.get the Micheline would be more grip with softer ride.

What will happen when the car is parked in my garage, my living room is next to the parking place in my house? Car is unlocked always?
Old 30th October 2009, 16:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Checked the drive without the key issue.
You CAN drive without the key, and the car does not shut down and it is a good thing that it doesn't.
Imagine you are driving the car and for some reason the car loses contact with the key and it shuts down the engine, how threatening would that be.
Hence I guess it is not a flaw by Chevy to let the car be driven without the key.
Yes but when you turn off the engine the car shows a permanent error code 91 which ,IIRC from the manual, is for key fob not in range.
The rear visibility while reversing is dismal to say the least and the reverse parking sensors are more a need than luxury and they are confidence inspiring.
Went for a TD yesterday again and spoke to the Person who informed me that the car can be driven without the Key until Fuel runs out or the car is stopped. You need the Key to start the car again.
Old 30th October 2009, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats on the buy.pls change those shoes imme.get the Micheline would be more grip with softer ride.

What will happen when the car is parked in my garage, my living room is next to the parking place in my house? Car is unlocked always?
Yup, changing the tires is no.1 in my to do list.
The key needs to be within 6-7 feet of the car door to be able to open it and even closer to be able to start the engine, I am assuming with interference of walls you are safe, it should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2612 View Post
Went for a TD yesterday again and spoke to the Person who informed me that the car can be driven without the Key until Fuel runs out or the car is stopped. You need the Key to start the car again.
Yes, only when you turn off the car the error code is displayed as Error Code 91 if the car is not in the vicinity.
How did you find the turbo lag, because mine seems to have reduced since the re-tuning of the ECM.

Another con in the car is its storage space.
The dashboard glove box shares almost half its estate with a spare fuse box (I think those are spares)
The box below the arm rest is extremely small.
Not adequate number of cup holders (And it is an American, now ain't that a shocker)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks