Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 01:49   #31
BHPian

wow, great looking seat cover,blend well with the interiors and ya even I want that keychain
Old 26th January 2010, 11:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Congratulations on a brilliant car and the colour scheme, I am sure you love it because I for one, am absolutely smitten!
Thanks bro, I cherish every moment I drive Rachel

Quote:
IMHO, top end variant of i20 could rival any D segment sedan in terms of comfort, luxury, and rich feel. This is one Hyundai car that is worth every penny.
Exactly my feelings for going for the Asta variant, except for the power, although I'm not so hungry for power, but it wouldn't have hurted

I would have loved the sunroof and additional airbags, but for a first car, the budget was already bit of overkill for me, so opted against the Asta(o). No regrets

Quote:
Enjoy your ownership of this truly magnificent car and I sincerely hope that you have many a pleasant memories with the little beauty.
Thank you for your sincere wishes
Old 26th January 2010, 11:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
ya even I want that keychain
It was a gift from jeez. If I find someone returning from UK, I'll surely get it bro

Here is the link
Old 26th January 2010, 13:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

hey those are some cool seat covers seen on i20 so far, looks good.
And so is your cool keychain man, surely many would want to have that.Enjoy your ride and keep updating.
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:39   #35
BHPian

The First Service

I don’t need to talk about my laziness in posting updates, if you manage to read the complete thing through, you will know why.

Here it is anyways:

A little background:
During our lonavala trip, ashley who was driving, had found the brake to be a bit spongy, as compared with the Getz (jeez’s car) and his accent, made a mental note of it. One fine day while driving, noticed some issues with the alignment, with the car drifting towards right. Few issues which could be highlighted during the free service.

The D-day:
17th November, a day, which would keep me awake for many nights to come. The reason, first service related issues. Yep, it does sound strange.

For my first service trip, Ashley had accompanied me to the Sharayu Hyundai’s service center. Complaints / Suggestions given to the service manager – make the brake tighter and check the wheel alignment. I was told to collect the car later that evening.

Waited till 6.30pm and then called up the service manager, and he told to come around 7.15 pm. Reached around 7.45pm, couldn’t test drive the vehicle with the service manager as he had left for the day. We were told by the attending service manager that the first service was done and that they had replaced the camper bolt and breeded / bleeded the brakes for tightening the brakes; they had also resolved the wheel alignment. Ashley asked these whether things should be there in a new car and the SM didn’t have a convincing answer.

Later, when ashley started the engine, he immediately found the in-cabin / engine noise to be quite high as compared to the previous instances when he had driven the car. I, been new to driving wasn’t too sure, as I had never paid attention to any noise, as I was too involved with the driving process on the whole. We decide to take it for a spin and check it out. Refueled the car; checked for the alignment and found to be fine, brake was bit tighter as well. I was disappointed about the noise part, but decided to drive the car around for few days and see.

After a few runs, I decided to take the i back to the service center, to get the issues checked. I’d insisted for the same service manager, and after a test run, I was told that the noise was normal with the vehicle and the alignment is fine, I was alone at that time and inexperience showed. I couldn’t counter properly and I believed all the explanations given. I ended up telling the service manager that if I find the issues then I would get back to him. Few days later ashley found a loose screw, running around the front passenger side space.

Meanwhile, Jeez arrived on 7th December, got the key chain I’d asked for, I was thrilled. He was aware of the issues bothering me and we decided to drive around for checking out the issues. After driving, he did find the in-cabin noise to be high for a new car. Plus he found the cabin tremors / vibrations while idling. This wasn’t present in his Getz or an i10 for that matter. We failed to understand why were these issues present in a car, which is valued more. I had decided by then to escalate the same to Hyundai.

Send across few PM’s i20 owners for their feedback about my case. After getting few response which were in line with jeez’s and ashly’s feedback, I decided to escalate the matter to Hyundai. I had also mentioned about the refusal of the service managers to get the auto-locking feature enabled.

After a day, got a call from the service center regarding the escalation and I was asked to get the car for checking. This time asked jeevan to come along (he used to get his getz serviced by the same place and new most of the people there). A senior service manager was assigned and during the test run explained the issues which include in cabin noise / engine noise, Steering, doors, dash and seat – vibrations / tremors while idling, Auto locking enabling and Steering column noise.

After couple of days of waiting and a heated phone call, which started with the same reply that the issues are common, I had ask the senior SM to get someone from Hyundai’s team to handle this case or drive the car to cotton green, as that is where the Hyundai's garage is, a info which was passed by the service manager during my initial discussions. I was asked to wait and got a call next day to check the car as some progress had been made. Bunked office and visited the service center with jeez. We were introduced with the senior workshop head. A test run indicated that the engine noise had been reduced and so was the vibrations / tremors. We were told that the TP graph was normal, which meant the engine was normal and no had issues. phew!

I asked about the auto-locking feature and the reply given was the technician had left for the day, which in turn meant that they weren’t aware about how to enable the same. The service manager suggested us to get the contact info of other service manager who can guide them to carry out the process with the registration details of the car.

After the test run, jeez noticed that the tremors were back. The service manager then asked us to check a new i20, which was been delivered that same day. It was a bit awkward to ask a new owner to “feel the engine tremors / vibrations”. Jeez sat inside for a minute and said that tremor was there. On a scale of 1 to 10, the tremors were around 1 in the new car and my car was around 2-3. Although I didn’t find it alarming and jeez suggested that may be it was the generic issue with this model. There was nothing more to be done so we decided to take a leave. While getting into the car, I noticed a small scratch on the bonnet; the paint was scraped completely through. I showed this to the service manager and got that in writing that it be repainted on a later date.

PM few Tbhp users regarding the auto locking info, Wildon helped out by providing the contact info of his service manager. I kept postponing it as I had got used to locking the car manually. I had also sent across PM’s asking about the tremors, which I wanted to forget as soon as possible. After reading through the replies, I was in a mix.

Some time later while driving around with jeez, we (can’t remember who exactly) noticed there was some amount of sound coming from the dashboard area, which later turned out to be the rear view mirrors rattling, which might have been due to a rosary which was kept handing around it. Appended another mental note. Decided to put this off till Christmas and let New Year pass.

First weekend of 2010, I had to make a trip to pune for professional reasons and decided to take the car along as reaching on or before time was a priority. Since, I needed some time on my own, managed to arrange for a driver for the single day round trip. started early at 5.30am and had planned to return sometime later that evening. 310 Kms covered, couldn’t check for the mileage as the drive had accidentally reset the trip meter, while trying to figure out which button does what in my absence. Max speed touched was 165-170 kmph. The only negative point with a drive driving my car was that these fellows don’t carry much about the vehicle; my driver had managed to only slow the car at very large portholes or speed breakers. Lesson learnt drive your own car or find a very good driver, I’ll prefer doing the driving myself. Returned around 8pm in the evening. Picked up few useful driving lessons and my confidence has never been the same. Good trip to say the least. The odometer reading was around 2900 after returning back.

To be continued
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:27   #36
BHPian

Insurance Work, loads of surprises & Service Issues Resolution

Incident 1:
Got news from Harley that he was looking to buy a new car, he wanted to look at i10, so visited Sharayu for a td. Since he didn’t know how to drive, this was my the first TD of my life. It was fun but harley tried to compared a i10 with a i20 and found that it was short of many features. But was it financially possible to afford an i20? Made few calculation and it was clear that he could actually go for an i20.

There was a small issue though, he wasn’t sure if an i20 could fit inside his parking lot. It had a tight right-angled turn. I decide to test it out with my driving skills. Getting in was tricky. While getting the car out, I misread harley’s interpretation of the distance and scratched the front left side fog light area. Since it was the bumper area, I decided to delay the insurance part for some time, as there was no chance of developing rust.

Incident 2:
A Scorpio driver decided to make way through my car, there wasn’t enough space for it to pass and I was boxed in. Scorpio’s rear bumper scratched against the right side rear bumper causing a lot a paint to scrape out. Angry as I was, kept my cool. The guilty drive commented that, these things can be removed by buffing, I felt like smacking him, took a deep breath and let it pass. I took a snap of the registration details of the vehicle and the insurance copy and left without any argument or any fuss. Most people around were utterly surprised.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take snaps of the damage before giving the car for insurance, could have shared it. Sorry about this folks.

Gave the vehicle for insurance on 31st January. Later I came to know that I had to submit two separate claims, I was initially told the car would be ready by 4th, because of the two claims issue, that had got delayed till 6th.

BTW There were four different color i20’s present at that moment all parked next to each other, mine include. I manage to sit inside two different ones and checked the tremors. Harley, who had come along, found my car to have the least amount of vibrations / tremors. I still believe a car of this premium shouldn’t have any tremors/vibrations present.

The 1st Visit:
6th Jan, Visited the service center late in the evening only to find that the car wasn’t ready and the rear bumper has undergone some issues while repainting. After probing around, found out that the fitter has actually scratched the rear bumper while doing some work. So it had to be repainted and thus the delay. There was no way this work could have been completed that evening.

While trying to locate my i, I found couple of brand new i20’s parked there. Geo and I decided to quickly checked them for the tremors and found them to absent or very less. Located the service manager who had handled my first service issues and showed him what I had meant by very less vibrations / tremors. He agreed on the issue and prepared a job card to carry on the work once the insurance work was completed. Highlighted the rear view mirror rattling too. Told him about the loose screw thing too. Mentally I was prepared for the delay, I just wanted all these issues sorted out.

The 2nd Visit:
Regular calls for updates where disappointing, with no resolution to be found. The service team in-charge remembered the pending auto-locking issue and called up. I gladly gave the contact details again, personally spoke with wildon’s service manager and asked of him to share across the info. Later found out that my service manager had asked him to send across everything in writing, thru mail, as the senior managers didn't want to take anything verbally. I really wanted to curse them for putting the poor chap who volunteered to help out thru all this. Got an update couple of hours later that it was done and vehicle was queued up for washing. Thanked wildon's SM. I was asked to come at 5.45pm.

Thrilled, ashley and I visited the service center at 5.30pm. Found one of the sales guy was showing off my car to a client, explaining its feature. We checked up the damaged area for the repair work. Shockingly, found small amount of scratches on the newly painted rear bumper, two new big scratches on the right hand side rear door, the finish on the front left fog light had a slight shade difference and a scratch mark at the junction of the dickey and the bumper lock. Showed all these issues to the insurance coordinator, he apologized and told that will be fixed by the next day. Assured him that even if I get the car a day late i.e. by sat 13th , it would be fine.

Meanwhile, ashley had check out an diesel i20 and said the amount of vibrations/tremors was similar to my car. We also checked out another i20 Asta petrol, which was driven around 2k km and found that the vibrations/tremors was less than my car. By this time, the service manager handling my case had arrived and I asked him if we could check the other issues by doing a test run, he agreed. He admited the the petrol car we were checking was used as a reference. I asked what work had been done so far, the reply - the entire car was serviced, petrol changed, oil changed and the engine bay area was fixed. They had suspected the engine clamp might have been loose. I immediately felt the difference, the cabin noise was very less; vibrations/tremors had reduced a lot; the rear view mirror rattling was gone but found one more squeaking noise from the dashboard. Asked the SM to look into this. Everything else was good as new. Some good news at last, to live with. I asked the SM about fixing an extra horn and he said no issues.

The 3rd Visit:
After few phone calls, had finally managed to get a time for delivered fixed at saturday 13th around 3pm. Geo was with me this time. I spotted my vehicle, which was been cleaned up. Looked the car for more scratches and geo spotted one. A very thin scar on the right side of the bottom of the A-pillar which is next to the bonnet (apologies for the vague description but I can’t seem to find the name of the area I’m referring to). Showed the same to the insurance coordinator and he immediately called up a person, who removed the scratch using a 3M solution. Rest of the car was fine.

The insurance coordinator admitted that he was fed up of issues coming up because of the service managers not handling a car properly. I thought, whether I was his customer or his lunch buddy, decided to let it pass. Normal people would have screamed at him but then anger never resolves anything. Stop grinning.

For the test run, I let geo drive as he the best guy to test any car; he does scare the people sitting inside though. He acknowledged that the tremors/vibrations to be minimal, however, I still found the squeaking sound from the dashboard. Told the new service manager and he was confused. I suspected the source of the noise to be rear view mirrors rattling and I asked geo to extend the run and take the car into few portholes. With me holding the rear view mirrors base, the noise disappeared. Asked the SM to fix the issue. He obliged.

Geo parked the car inside the service station and I reminded the SM about the rear view mirror issues. He went around and got a mechanic, who banged the rear view mirror with his bear hands, as if that would permanently fix it. I asked the SM the same question and but then the chap over heard me and removed the rear view mirror completely. He went inside and came back and fixed it, I had gone to relieve myself to natures call, only to came back and find that the car had disappeared.

Geo had decided to take a short test run to check the rear view mirror noise and he confirmed it had gone. He parked the car inside the service station; I remembered about the scratch mark near the bumper lock, went around to check it. Surprisingly, I found the dickey door’s locking was as smooth as before and I had to press a lot to close it. Showed the same to the SM and he asked us to wait inside the customer lounge and he will call us once the same is fixed.

About 5 minutes after that we called and the issue wasn’t resolved. On further inspection, I found that the rubber belt, which runs along the inside body of the dickey’s door was loose and I could easily pull it out. Noticed that the plastic part near the hook where the lock fits, was broken and another part, towards the left side of hook, had its clip broken/exposed. By then the SM looked like he wanted to pull out his hair and bang his head somewhere, I admit, I wanted to do the same to him. Instead, I kept a straight face and asked him about this. He said they would replace the parts immediately. Geo suspected that, the service mechanic must have banged the door with a lot of force to cause this damage. We were again told to wait inside the customer lounge. Sigh!

Another 10 minutes passed, we were called to check the dickey door related issue. They had changed the broken center piece which covers the hook on which the dickey's door gets locked; also fixed the rubber completely, we couldn’t remove the same to check if they had fixed the clipping portion or not. Asked the SM, he said yes, in a very sorry sort of way.

Finally, the moment I was waiting for 13 days arrived now, the payment and gate pass thing. Total bill – Rs 2,004; 1.3k for insurance (2 claims), 11 liters of fuel was added to get the servicing done. Around Rs 240 for the extra horn and it sounded really good. After all this mess, I remembered later that evening that I had paid 2010 and never collected the rest of the change money.

In all, a very lengthy experience with loads of heartaches, but the net result was that all issues were resolved. I don’t know what to make of my experience; was it just bad luck or just conicidence? I’ll let you guys tell me.

14 days the car was in the service center, I’m sure the turnaround time could have been reduced. It’s been 10 days since the car is with me; so far everything is fine and normal. Have clocked 3300 km so far and car is at it’s best. Touch wood!

A small note on the vkool, most of the small bubbles have disappeared too. Phew!

Things looking forward to are buying a vacuum cleaner, car polish, cleaning materials, seat polish, car covers etc.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter_82 View Post
In all, a very lengthy experience with loads of heartaches, but the net result was that all issues were resolved. I don’t know what to make of my experience; was it just bad luck or just conicidence? I’ll let you guys tell me.

14 days the car was in the service center, I’m sure the turnaround time could have been reduced. It’s been 10 days since the car is with me; so far everything is fine and normal. Have clocked 3300 km so far and car is at it’s best. Touch wood!
A pretty frustrating experience I should say. However, all's well that ends well.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
A pretty frustrating experience I should say. However, all's well that ends well.
Yep it was

Will post more details about the ownership experience of the i, for now I need a break from writing
Old 24th February 2010, 11:49   #39
BHPian

Thats an awfully frustrating first service experience for a new car owner

Im also facing that Rearview mirror squeaking, which was pointed out by you, though it occurs only when riding over potholes. About tremors/vibrations, I have never really noticed anything unusual that might be because I'm new to driving or maybe there mightn't be any, hoping its not the former.

Me also nearing my First Service clocked about 900km, will post a ownership review thread after that.

OT: the spin in Your "i" is still pending
Old 24th February 2010, 12:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
Im also facing that Rearview mirror squeaking, which was pointed out by you, though it occurs only when riding over potholes.
You'll be surprised how simple the fix is, when it is carried out by the service mechanics, they just remove and refit it. Do get it done though and get an extra horn fitted, helps a lot.

Quote:
OT: the spin in Your "i" is still pending
Looking forward to it
Old 18th August 2010, 10:52   #41
BHPian

The extra horn means that both horns work at the same time or the previous one is removed and this one put in? Sorry but am a n00b.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Somehow missed this thread earlier. Congrats on your new car - The I20 is a real good car with lots of features, good space and interiors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter_82 View Post
  • Jazz: Had waited for this to launch and delayed the booking. Excellent car, liked everything about it, dash, finish, space and the drive (suspension felt a bit hard though). The price was a big big let down!! I would have booked it, had been 50k over i20. I couldn’t believe the price. Well had no other option. Ashley advice to checkout the Linea if my budget could stretch for jazz. I thought that the budget was overkill for a first car. Had no doubt about the quality for the product, but it was just out of reach. I used to get a bit disappointed every time I saw a jazz passing by, it will be tough to get over it.
I had the same feeling after TD of the Jazz. Only difference is I ended up stretching my budget to buy the car I loved.
Don't worry dude, as you put on more miles with your car and discover all the nice little things, you will get over it.
Curious to know, what was the price difference for you between I20 Asta and jazz - For me, it was around 1L after discounts! I agree if it was 50K more than I20, it would have made the choice much easier for me as well and I wouldn't need to convince me that I am not making a stupid decision

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks