Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:26   #46
BHPian

3 Weeks Report

There was a minor Tuk-Tuk sound from the rear when on 1st and 2nd gear or when the car is moving in neutral. Took it to Kropex and the reason given was that there were some stones between wheel and brakes!!!
The front tyres were swapped and the sound vanished. As expected there was minor drift towards the left. Waiting to do a wheel balancing during the first service.

3000 kms done in 3 weeks and have done bangalore-chennai stretch twice. During the first trip optra returned me with figures of 13 kmpl (Mostly at 100kph/2k pm and occasional 150kph/3k rpm) on highways and 9 in city. The second one gave me with 15 kmpl on highways(Mostly at 120 kmph at 2.5k rpm) and 10 in city . I am already a happy owner.

Last edited by sylvan : 23rd December 2009 at 17:30. Reason: 3 Weeks Report
Old 3rd February 2011, 20:50   #47
BHPian

Re: My huge Sedan - Maroon Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0

Hi Sylvan,
Howz your Maggy driving now? Any issues with the fit or finish till now?
Old 11th February 2011, 23:11   #48
BHPian

CONGRATS MAN!!!! great ride....she's one of the few diesels in SHIMLA that survive without getting burnt!! shes so powerfull even before the turbo shoots up that she can go up steep hills without the turbo...which many other diesel ones cant do...and that colour is a killerrrrrr! i find the alloys kind of CUTE.. dunno why people dont like them..they are "RETRO CLASSY " like the GOLDY OLDY's....KEEP THEM!
Old 21st February 2011, 12:29   #49
BHPian

HEy Sylvan,

Congratulations on your Maggy. I am waiting for my delivery of the Maggy. I was hearing that the Maggy gives around 13 - 14 in city with ac and around 16 in Highways. Though the numbers you qoute for Highway is more or less around this, i see a good difference in the city numbers. Can other owners of Maggy throw some light on this please?
Old 24th February 2011, 09:40   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
HEy Sylvan,

Congratulations on your Maggy. I am waiting for my delivery of the Maggy. I was hearing that the Maggy gives around 13 - 14 in city with ac and around 16 in Highways. Though the numbers you qoute for Highway is more or less around this, i see a good difference in the city numbers. Can other owners of Maggy throw some light on this please?
For my driving conditions, which is 20% city and 80% highways, I usually get 15 or 16 on highways and 12 in city. I once got 16 on a salem trip. No ACs and the odo was always at 2000rpm
Old 24th February 2011, 09:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjumbo View Post
CONGRATS MAN!!!! great ride....she's one of the few diesels in SHIMLA that survive without getting burnt!! shes so powerfull even before the turbo shoots up that she can go up steep hills without the turbo...which many other diesel ones cant do...and that colour is a killerrrrrr! i find the alloys kind of CUTE.. dunno why people dont like them..they are "RETRO CLASSY " like the GOLDY OLDY's....KEEP THEM!
True. Even at 1900 rpm this car has enough power. I beg to differ with the alloys as they could have been a lot better. Thats the only part of my car that I dont like.
Old 24th February 2011, 10:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Hi Sylvan,
Howz your Maggy driving now? Any issues with the fit or finish till now?
Done 20k kms. The drive just keeps getting smoother. The fit and finish of this car is quite good. I was only thinking about hardening the shocks as that would improve the handling, but I will lose out on the drive comfort that I now get. There is nothing you would say that is really wrong with this car. If one thinks of not selling a car within 5 years, then I would strongly recommend the Magnum.
Old 2nd March 2011, 00:20   #53
BANNED

Congrats on a fulfilling ownership experience with the optra. This is surely the best vfm car in the mid level sedans category.
I wanted to ask you this, that since you have completed 20k with the car, how is the suspension? Is it a nice and firm ride or does it have a loose suspension like the swift?
Did you face any issues like rattling or any other unwanted noises till date?
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
Congrats on a fulfilling ownership experience with the optra. This is surely the best vfm car in the mid level sedans category.
I wanted to ask you this, that since you have completed 20k with the car, how is the suspension? Is it a nice and firm ride or does it have a loose suspension like the swift?
Did you face any issues like rattling or any other unwanted noises till date?
The suspension is soft and I like it that way.
There werent any rattling issues as such. But I once had some loose gravel that got locked in the wheels and that was creating some rattling noise. I just did another 500kms last week(chennai-salem-Bangalore) and the ride was butter smooth.
Old 27th September 2011, 17:15   #55
BHPian

My huge Sedan - Maroon Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 - 25k UPDATE

Completed 25000 kms and the drive has only got smoother.
Except for an accident last Jan, there has been no major trouble with Optra. Off late, there is a good number of Optra bookings that we see on TBhp and its always good to see more of them on road.

Recent modifications
Upgraded Head lamps to Phillips 100/90
Got new floor mats for 500 bucks

Planned upgrades

By Jan 2012
Change HU to Pioneer AVH-P3350BT
MMI Vx140s

By Jun 2012
Change alloys and upgrade tyres to Michelin Primacy LC

I guess this make Optra as good as any car in 15L range. Plush ride, loads of power at any gear, breezy acceleration, effortless overtaking when needed, bountiful space. 90% of my drive is on highways and IMO there isnt a better choice even today.
sylvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 19:17   #56
BHPian

Re: My huge Sedan - Maroon Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 - 25k UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
I guess this make Optra as good as any car in 15L range. Plush ride, loads of power at any gear, breezy acceleration, effortless overtaking when needed, bountiful space. 90% of my drive is on highways and IMO there isnt a better choice even today.
Make that "in 10-11L range". I am happy to know you finished 25000 kms without any major issue / trouble. Wishing you many more happy miles.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:27   #57

Re: My huge Sedan - Maroon Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 - 25k UPDATE

[quote=sylvan;2522040]Completed 25000 kms and the drive has only got smoother.
Except for an accident last Jan, there has been no major trouble with Optra. Off late, there is a good number of Optra bookings that we see on TBhp and its always good to see more of them on road.

Hey Sylvan,

Congrats on completing 25k with the optra.
I got mine delivered day before yesterday, and clocked just over a 100k already. This, even when my office and home are 2 km apart!
It seems like i am just looking for an excuse to take it for a drive.

I've another thread on here somewhere about my disappointment with the Fluidic Verna. I sold mine off within 25 days of purchase.

The optra is an absolute delight. Yesterday I took it on the Sea-link in Mumbai and took it upto triple digit speeds in a very relaxed and controlled manner.
Surprisingly, the speedo was showing 130 + and yet the car felt like it was going at around 90.
Felt absolutely safe.
Wife loves it, folks love it. We own a Merc C250 CDI which my dad drives more, and he keeps saying the ride is similar to that of the Merc.

I am super happy!

Last edited by phenomonstar : 30th September 2011 at 14:46.
Old 2nd October 2011, 15:05   #58
BHPian

Hi Phenomonstar,I am following your thread on Fluidic disappointment. New Verna sure looks good, but I wasnt sure about its handling as I never drove it. Your choice is definitely a good one in terms of VFM and drive comfort. I hardly take it in City, it is always on highways for which it is the best fit
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:49   #59
BHPian

Does anyone know about how effective the coil spring adjusters are for magnum. I am looking for a solution to reduce the underbody scraping as much as possible.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html
Old 18th November 2011, 11:28   #60
BHPian

Completed 25K service yesterday and she drives smoother than ever.
- Oil/filter Change
- Brake calipers cleaned
- Back row lamp replaced

Worked out to around 3.7k. Wheel balancing and rotation already done a few weeks back at Madhus. Thinking of going for Nitrogen as you get it free when filling diesel for Rs.1000. Looking to go for new ICE next month. Have to check it out with AudioPlanet guys. Will post those updates as and when the task is completed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks