Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 15:20   #61
BHPian

SX4 ZXi VVT - Manual Test Driven

Folks, I finally managed to test drive the VVT ZXi manual today. I am an SX4 owner (Non VVT version) and wanted to test out the VVT effect. For those who are of the impatient nature, here's the verdict "The VVT manual is perceivably more refined, less noisy and better performing than the old SX4". Now for the others, read on

I had been trying to test drive the new SX4 for quite some time and somehow couldn't get the right opportunity (lack of time and laziness). I had driven the A/T version but some how wanted to test out the MT as well. Today had gone to the showroom for a minor problem in my current SX4 (The remote fuel lid lever wasn't functioning properly). Thought while the work was on, would test drive the VVT one. Pratham motors now have a dedicated VVT manual test drive vehicle. Inserted the Key and cranked the engine. Slotted the lever into 1st gear and started. Wow the judder that is there in my current SX4 was not felt. It started off as smooth as silk. The vibrations felt in gear1 was also absent. The initial moments were really impressive. I then began accelerating and the man just surged ahead. The engine noise was significantly lower compared to the old version. Also at lower RPMs torque was perceivably more. Slotted the lever to 5th and touched 100Kmph quickly. Engine refinement was very good. The booming noise that used to come after around 3000 odd rpm seemed to be lesser. However, there was a revv note that I personally enjoyed as a petrol buff.

Another difference that I observed was the gear shift. It seemed to be easier than the old one which is sometimes difficult to slot in 1 and Reverse. This one was very smooth but the throw I felt was slightly longer (or is it me?). The steering seemed a little more light compared to the old version. I felt the old one gave a better road feel (not sure again, but that's what I felt). The drive lasted around 6 kms and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Interiors are the same except for the dual tone. There is the USB slot and back lit audio controls on the steering. These buttons also make a small note when operated (volume and channel buttons). The faux wooden door handles somehow didn't feel great. Overall there is definitely an improvement in engine performance in terms of refinement and acceleration. The ARAI proclaimed FE figure of 15Kmpl is I thing another feather in the cap. I do hope this review helps all those prospective Team-BHPians who are looking for a car in the 8-9 L budget. Attaching some pictures as well.

Cheerz
Attached Thumbnails
SX4 ZXi AT Test "Ride" , VXi MT Test Drive-141109_1155.jpg  

SX4 ZXi AT Test "Ride" , VXi MT Test Drive-141109_1158.jpg  

SX4 ZXi AT Test "Ride" , VXi MT Test Drive-141109_1200.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 15:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Folks, I finally managed to test drive the VVT ZXi manual today. I am an SX4 owner (Non VVT version) and wanted to test out the VVT effect. For those who are of the impatient nature, here's the verdict "The VVT manual is perceivably more refined, less noisy and better performing than the old SX4". Now for the others, read on

I had been trying to test drive the new SX4 for quite some time and somehow couldn't get the right opportunity (lack of time and laziness). I had driven the A/T version but some how wanted to test out the MT as well. Today had gone to the showroom for a minor problem in my current SX4 (The remote fuel lid lever wasn't functioning properly). Thought while the work was on, would test drive the VVT one. Pratham motors now have a dedicated VVT manual test drive vehicle. Inserted the Key and cranked the engine. Slotted the lever into 1st gear and started. Wow the judder that is there in my current SX4 was not felt. It started off as smooth as silk. The vibrations felt in gear1 was also absent. The initial moments were really impressive. I then began accelerating and the man just surged ahead. The engine noise was significantly lower compared to the old version. Also at lower RPMs torque was perceivably more. Slotted the lever to 5th and touched 100Kmph quickly. Engine refinement was very good. The booming noise that used to come after around 3000 odd rpm seemed to be lesser. However, there was a revv note that I personally enjoyed as a petrol buff.

Another difference that I observed was the gear shift. It seemed to be easier than the old one which is sometimes difficult to slot in 1 and Reverse. This one was very smooth but the throw I felt was slightly longer (or is it me?). The steering seemed a little more light compared to the old version. I felt the old one gave a better road feel (not sure again, but that's what I felt). The drive lasted around 6 kms and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Interiors are the same except for the dual tone. There is the USB slot and back lit audio controls on the steering. These buttons also make a small note when operated (volume and channel buttons). The faux wooden door handles somehow didn't feel great. Overall there is definitely an improvement in engine performance in terms of refinement and acceleration. The ARAI proclaimed FE figure of 15Kmpl is I thing another feather in the cap. I do hope this review helps all those prospective Team-BHPians who are looking for a car in the 8-9 L budget. Attaching some pictures as well.

Cheerz

Ditto. I have not driven the old SX4, but certainly the VVT engine is not noisy, its smooth, acceleration is good, steering not heavy at all, and the gear shift fluid.

You drove the white one Nurni. Thats the colour I bought. Doesn't it look just awesome!
Old 19th December 2009, 22:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
Ditto. I have not driven the old SX4, but certainly the VVT engine is not noisy, its smooth, acceleration is good, steering not heavy at all, and the gear shift fluid.

You drove the white one Nurni. Thats the colour I bought. Doesn't it look just awesome!
No I didn't drive the white one. There is a dedicated Test drive vehicle with stickering on it (silky silver I guess). But yes the white looks awesome
Old 21st December 2009, 18:06   #64
BHPian

Continued...

Dippy has kindly created a new Initial Ownership thread for me here

All post buy discussions (old and new) can be found there along with pictures (soon!)
Old 21st December 2009, 21:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
- The boot really needs to be slammed down to shut, seems like a defect, can anyone confirm?
haven't really opened the boot as yet :-/
will check and post back!

BTW where in Pune do you go for accessories...
delhi has karol bagh, chennai has GP road..any such place in pune too?
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Oh i wonder if anyone has noticed that the rear window glasses do not roll down fully? They go down only 3/4 the length.
thats primarily for the safety of the children sitting in rear sets so that they do not get their heads or hands out of the window. at least thats what the guys at Kataria Ahmedabad told me while taking the delivery of my car!! did sound convincing though.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

Carax near balewadi is one choice. otherwise Nana peth near laxmi road is like the car accessories market. good stuff at some real cheap rates. You have to watch out for fakes though. and also, you have to categorically mention that you want good/genuine stuff.
Old 24th December 2009, 21:00   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

Other option is JM road - quite a few shops there as well.
Old 24th December 2009, 21:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
thats primarily for the safety of the children sitting in rear sets so that they do not get their heads or hands out of the window. at least thats what the guys at Kataria Ahmedabad told me while taking the delivery of my car!! did sound convincing though.
This reminded me of our first padmini where the glass wouldnt go down fully..
On the sx, there is a button that cuts out the power to all the power window switches. Its located next to the door lock/unlock switch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks