Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 21:33   #1
BHPian

How has my 1.4 litre FIRE FIAT LINEA (F. Red) has lived the 5000 kms run? A report.

Hello Friends,

I have completed 5000 kms in my Flamenco Red Fiat Linea 1.4 FIRE. Here goes the report. (I took delivery on 22nd August 2009)

CHANGES DONE IN THE CAR

Well, I changed the original seats to 100% Italian leather seats from Orchis Car design, Vikhroli (W). Barring this there is no change that I did in my car. The seats are done up very well. Looking elegant. Its from a very good leather quality. I have has no issues with the leather seats whatsoever in last 3 and half months

EARLY GLITCHES

Well, actually there was nothing barring, my driver side power window console (on the inside door pad) was not fixed properly. The entire door pad was removed at Cocorde, Prabhadevi. One of the wiper was leaving a line on the windshield while it was running. The wiper was removed on the spot. Barring this, there are no issues in the car.

INTERIORS

The interiors have remained very good. I drive 100% a/c and I have polished the interiors twice by using after market dash board polish. There is no noise of door rattling unlike other cars I have driven in the past. The car's power steering has been responding quite well. AC remains powerful. Off late I have started using the FULL AUTO AC. Its good while you on the highway. The music system, which I originally thought to be of not so good quality, is actually is of one of the best, I have used in recent past. The clarity of the music system is fabulous. Only negative, at volumes more than 25 on the scale, there is jarring. But at 25, its good enough to wake up many round you.

The seat height adjustment lever is a pain. It gets touched every time you get in or out of the car. So, FIAT needs to make it either smaller or lower it a bit, so that it doesn't touch the drivers thigh and the seat doesn't go down.

Blue and Me and great (It works about 8 out of 10 times, which means its about 80% accurate). It may be more efficient for others, as its accuracy depends a lot on how you give command. My NOKIA handset gives me an option to switch to handset mode, just in case, I don;t want to talk on Blue and Me while with someone else inside the car.

The arm rest is greatly placed and used every time. The side door pockets are also useful, but I wish, it had more bottle holders. The auto door lock is a bliss. While the car in motion, if you happen to open the door, there is a beep and the moment you close the door, it locks automatically. The head lamps are superb. So are the fog lamps. It a delight to drive this car in dark.

EXTERIOR

There is no change I have done in the exterior barring putting some silver coloured door guards. The cars looks stunning anyways. I got it polished a month back. I have filled nitrogen in the car. While its good to have nitrogen, its a pain to get the right filling station. I fill 34 in front and 32 in rear. Is that the correct measure? Please let me know. I have hit some bumps, but that too very rarely. I was driving a Fiat Adventure before, so I am used to that off road drive. But despite of that, I have hardly hit any bumper on the road. I expected it to hit the bumps more often, but I think its not that bad at all.

TECHNICAL

Well, the car's engine has become lot better. It has become more responsive and peppier than before. I have got that punch now which was missing earlier. It happened after 4000kms. I have been getting a mileage between 9.5 - 10.5 with 100% AC on in Mumbai city. The engine makes a typical revving noise when you press the accelerator while in higher gear and low speed. But that's I guess is normal. I have serviced the car in Fortune car and I am happy with the work. If I compare this engine with the old 1.6 litre engine, I must say, that was a different heart. I miss my Adventure for its engine, ride and suspension. But this one is not far behind. Especially now, its become much peppier. The suspension is definitely better that almost all the sedans of its class in road now, but I miss my Adventure. The car treats the pot holes with ease. Reversing in the car at times can be a concern, but you need to get used to it. The turning radius of the car though reported as BIG, I don't find it bothering at all. While I start the car in the morning, it the RPM meter shows 1500 RPM on the dash, but it goes down to 800 RPM after few seconds. I don't know if this is normal, but I had no issues. In city, I am very comfortable with the car.

LONG DRIVES

I have taken this car to Pune couple of times, Daman, Nasik and Aurangabad. I have done 180 kmph twice on this car with 3 people on board. While it touched 180kmph and we drive it at that speed for more than a minute, the car was super stable. But the engine noise was more. Adventure touched 185kmph and I could feel it was hungry for more. In Linea, I felt, it peaked at 180kmph. I got the maximum mileage of 16kmpl on highway with 50% AC on. From Mumbai to Aurangabad, I made it in 5 hours and 10 minutes (335kms) via Sinnar, Kopargaon and Vaijapur (from Kanjurmarg till the Taj Hotel in Aurangabad). The road was OK and not great, but this is where the car showed what it is made of. The car behaved like a WINNER all throughout. No where on the trip, I felt loss of power. We peaked 140kmph averaging about 67kmph. It was a super drive. My verdict, this engine is very much adequate and not underpowered by any standards. The handling of this car is same or better than the Fiat Adventure, which is considered to be one of the best handling cars on India roads.

OVERALL

I am certain, there will be people, who will not find many reasons, not to own this car. This car, so far has been GREAT to say the least.

FINAL NOTE

While driving this car on the E.E.highway, I suddenly heard an noise and saw that the front passenger side door glass is shattered. I couldn't make out why, but it seemed it happed due to something hitting it (may be a flying stone). When I called Fortune, they said, they will do it in 3 days, as door glass is not common accessory and needs to be ordered. I called Concorde motors, they asked me to get the car to the showroom. When I went there, they said, they do not have the door glass, and it will take a week to get the door glass. The internal guy checked in the system, if they have it with any other dealer, he said it wasn't there. I called Mr. Syed, Sales Manager, WASAN MOTORS in Chembur/Deonar, as I know him, since I had bought by Fiat Adventure from them. They confirmed that, they have the door glass. On my request, Vaishali, who takes care of FIAT cars, asked me to get the car not promising if the car will be delivered the same day as it was an EID holiday and most of the mechanics were absent. When I reached there, upon requesting Vaishali and Mr. Rangan, Workshop Manager, my car was taken in and was made ready by 5.30pm as promised (I gave the car at 2.30pm). Not only that, the car was vacuumed and cleaned (both in and out). This is not the end, the total bill for the entire work was Rs. 1130/-. Rs. 550/- for the door glass, and balance for labor and tax. (FIAT, salutation to you for getting the parts at this price, as I expected the door glass to be of at least Rs. 2000). I must say, this was the nicest gesture ever extended to me by any car dealer for any cars I have owned so far. (It happened once with my Adventure when, I broke my tail lamp and Wasan Motors replaced it the same day). I must say, CONCORDE which is owned by TATAs directly were the most unprofessional in handling my issue. Hats off the WASAN to have understood the issue and taken care of the problem in the manner they did.

Last edited by omar1310 : 6th December 2009 at 21:35. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 6th December 2009, 22:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which one do you like / liked to drive more, the Adventure or the Linea?
Old 6th December 2009, 22:11   #3
BHPian

Nice review. Fiat cars are always best on highways. I have Palio 1.2 and did uncountable long tours. And she was great on all kind of road. Very confirtable.
Old 6th December 2009, 22:17   #4
BHPian

gREAT TO read your experience at Wasan. Please post some pictures of the interiors . and Congrats on completing the 5000km mark. Wish you MAny more happy Miles with the beauty!
Old 6th December 2009, 23:20   #5
BHPian

Could you elaborate more on the 'Orchis leather set' along with prices and pics if possible..

Thanks
Old 6th December 2009, 23:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Which one do you like / liked to drive more, the Adventure or the Linea?
yeah, i have the same question. Which one is more fun to drive?
Old 6th December 2009, 23:58   #7
BHPian

Very good review Omar1310!
Congratulation on completing 5000KMs and wish many more happy thousands of KMs in future..

I can tell you, your review made me very happy!
Old 7th December 2009, 00:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to offend you but I find the thread title strange, 'Linea has lived the 5000km run'.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
yeah, i have the same question. Which one is more fun to drive?
Nowadays I am regularly driving the Punto and Palio and Palio just doesn't stop to amaze me with its superb handling capabilities and the sturdy nature.. I still love the drive in that despite an underpowered engine (1.2). The 1.6 Adventure sport sure would be much much more fun to drive. That's the reason why I asked the question to omar1310. Waiting for the answer

Last edited by clevermax : 7th December 2009 at 10:55.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice, very nice write up Omar.

Also nice to hear about prompt repsonse from A.S.S and cheaper spares.

So Linea is preferred car over ANHC?

Please post some pics as well
Old 7th December 2009, 11:18   #11
BHPian

Well put Omar; you almost made me regret my decision of not going for the Linea as soon as it was launched. But now with the news that they are launching an improved version i'd say its worth the wait.
But As far as the A** goes; pray tell me is it still very workshop dependent; or is the attitude in general pleasurable ?? and for the Spare parts; i am pleasently surprised to read that they had the window glass ready for replacement. Kuddos to Wassan.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:20   #12
BHPian

Nicely written Omar, thanks for that. I like the Linea 1.4 FIRE, but the pedals positions are awkward especially when you are wearing shoes of No.10. It is very hard to get a comfortable position during long drive. IMO Footwell is totally cramped, tell us more about it.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:02   #13
BHPian

Hi! Well, I meant by "LIVED" was to not tot state anything negative. What I meant was, how it has been faring. This was purely because, many would have had the apprehension about car when it was launched. More so, bacase it was a FIAT. Hence, my title.

between Linea and Adventure, Linea is more towards luxury and beauty and Adventure was more towards butch and masculinity. Honestly, I miss Adventure. But its not right to say, which one I prefer. Linea gives me more status value and head turns. Adventure was taking out the driver in me everytime I drove that car. Both are different.

Linea is my preference over my ANHC. Having said so, ANHC is also a great car to drive. But a shade below Linea of course.

Finally on Orchis. Well, Orchis is a in house car interior firm based out of Vikhroli (W), Kailash Complex. They provide leather interior and all other interior finish such as wood finish dash/steering etc. to most of the car dealers in Mumbai. Skoda dealers and Fortune Car is their biggest customers. You can get in touch with Mr. Anil (the owner) on 9870203580 or 9920790827.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:18   #14
BHPian

Hey Omar can you post some snaps of the seat covers that you got done by orchis
Old 7th December 2009, 21:00   #15
BHPian

Nice and frank write up Omar. I never knew it was possible to touch 185 in Linea. How long does it take?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks