Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:34   #1

Fiat Grande Punto: Buying, First Service and first 3 months

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I recently bought a Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack. The decision was based on test drive and research from various sources including team-bhp website. Yesterday, I went for my first servicing. The idea of his post is to share my experience regarding (a) purchase of the car, (b) first servicing, and (c) owning the car for three months.

Purchase of the Car

Model: Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Emotion Pack
Color: Medium Grey
Dealer: A-One Motors, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi

Finalizing the Dealer: I had approached several dealers, but I found A-One to be more approachable. I am in my early 20's and some of the sales person at other dealer did not even take my seriously as a potential costumer and dismissed me a collage student whiling away time, both theirs and mine. Another issue was corporate discount, one of them refused it outrightly even though A-One confirmed that my employer was listed for corporate discount.

Booking and delivery: Booking was like a breeze, I guess it would have been the same everywhere. Delivery was promised within 15 working days, but it took almost three weeks. I was inclined to take delivery only after three weeks due to personal reasons, so this was of little concern for me. What concerned me though was the fact that the dealer did not contact me after booking to inform me that the car was in transit and that the car has arrived. I had to call up and ask about both.

At Delivery: The salesperson was very busy with several deliveries so he devoted very less time to me. But the staff was very courteous and cooperative. Answered all the questions I had. The car was in good shape. But I was not handed over the Owner's manual, Service coupons etc. I was told that they are at their head office! they promised to get them and deliver them to me. They did not do it and I collected them when I was passing by the dealer after two months.

Post Delivery: I took delivery of car pending registration. I went back the next day to get the number plate fixed. This time they did not have the registration slip. I asked for it and was told that it is at their head office! They again promised that they will deliver it to me. Once again they did not and I collected my registration card two months later.

First Servicing of the car

First impression: I called up A-One and I was told that I can come at 9.am tomorrow to their workshop at Rama Road. I promptly reached at 9.am only to find that the employees were still coming in. The guard asked me to hand over the keys and leave the car. I insisted that I would had over the keys only after the job card was made. No one asked me to have a seat or offered a word of greeting.

Experience with the service person: It was just opposite of my experience with the sales person. After waiting for 10 minutes I asked who is going to make job card? A person standing near me approached and asked if its my car and if its first service. I said yes. Then he got a sheet of paper and started writing something. I would have appreciated if the person would have introduced himself and told me what was he doing. All this while I was standing out in cold. Anyways after he was done, he asked if I have an issues with the car. I listed out my concerns.

Service concerns: I had a flat tyre a day before, so I asked him if he could fix it and change the spare tyre (not alloy) with the fixed flat tyre (alloy) and put the spare tyre back in the boot. The blunt answer was that this workshop is not for fixing tyre. My car has tubeless tyre and it would have taken 5 minutes to fix it. I inquired if he would take money and get it fixed. Answer again was no. Other issues included broken raw wiper, handbrake adjustment etc.

Delivery after service: I was told I may collect my car at 4.30. I inquired at 5 pm if I could come and was told that I may collect it tomorrow morning. I insisted that I have to go to office and it would be convenient if they could deliver at sharp 9am. I was told that it won't be possible because their software is down and I should come at least at 10.am. I insisted again and was told that I should come at 9.30am. I reached at 9.30am. This time again no greeting, no one asked me to sit. I inquired about my car and was directed towards the person I met yesterday. This time he saw me and directed someone to get documents and then vanished himself to get them. After a while, (while I was still standing out in cold) he appeared and told me that the car was done and that I needed to make payment. I sought to see the car first. I was directed to my car which was standing on roadside "outside" the workshop. i was stunned!

Anyways the service was done properly. But the person vanished again. I had to search for him, make payments and take the gate pass myself to take the keys from the watchman at the gate.

Missing Lighter: I sat in the car and realized that that the cigarette lighter was missing. I do not smoke, but this does not mean that anyone has right to remove cigarette lighter from my car. I called the person again. He came, he saw, called other people, they came and saw. They all went back. After 10 minutes the person returned and apologized for the missing lighter and promised to deliver a new one to me. I had left few coins also-in the ash tray which were gone. No issues for the coins.

Note:

I had a good experience with A-One while buying the car but I will not go to this dealer again for my second service because of my experience and also because its very far off. Can anyone suggest a better dealership for service of Punto.

Owning the car for three months.

No issues here. Fantastic car. I have driven at high speeds, over bad roads, cornered at reasonable speed, had to apply breaks at 80kmph to complete halt and the car has always exceeded expectations. Its fun to drive. One feels safe inside the car, its sturdy. Looks great. Music (Blue & Me) system is good. The only concern is fuel efficiency. But who cares about it in such a wonderful car. I am happy with the car, period.

[Mod please note that being new I thought this post would fit in this forum category, in any case please move it to appropriate section, if your think this does not belong here.]
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:41   #2
BHPian

Congratulations Lawyer!!

Punto is indeed a very good car. The best thing about the car is that you will have to visit the A.S.S only once a year!!
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved to right section.
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer123 View Post
he appeared and told me that the car was done and that I needed to make payment. I sought to see the car first. I was directed to my car which was standing on roadside "outside" the workshop. i was stunned!
Fist of all congrats and welcome to the Punters club. I thought the first three services are free? so what did you pay for?
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Punto, do post some pics of the exteriors/interiors. What offers did you get on the car ?
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:05   #6

Congratulations Lawyer123. Punto indeed is a great car but as you mentioned after sales service is a major concern. Another one month to go for my car for servicing. Lets see how they do it here in Bangalore.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyer123 View Post
The only concern is fuel efficiency. But who cares about it in such a wonderful car. I am happy with the car, period.
Congratulations for your car. I also own a Medium Grey 1.4 E+. I am getting a fule efficiency around 13km/l. How much are you getting and what are your expectations.

It's 800km to go before the first service but I have been to the Service station twice for something that I thought they were an issue but actually they were not. The guys were pretty decent right from the security guard to the SA. They all greeted me with a curtious "Good Morning" and attended me very well. They made me wait for some time after the work was done but then again, they have lots of customers to attend so, I was fine with it.

It would be good to shift to a better Service Station so that you do not have any bad experiences for having such a lovely car.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the punto!

You can go to:
  • rama motors, okhla
  • elegant cars (erstwhile samyak), patparganj industrial area
  • dynamic automobiles, sector 63, noida
if you want better service.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto: Buying, First Service and first 3 months-fiatgrande_punto_2008_1024x768_wallpaper_13.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 3rd January 2010 at 14:30.
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:41   #9

Thank you

Thank you everyone, Punto indeed is a fantastic car. To answer the questions:

(a) Payments: The payment I made was for replacement of rear wiper. Which someone had broken while my car was parked outside my house. They charged Rs. 360 for the Wiper. Another payment was for replacement of Air Filter. They said I had used the car in very dusty conditions so it needed to be replaced.

(b) Fuel Efficiency: Regarding fuel efficiency, I calculated on my own, taking into account the amount of fuel between two full tank refills and the distance traveled. It came out to be 10.1. But after the air filter change it has increased to 12.2. The service center has advised that it will increase further as I use my car! Further, the on board display tends to show the FE a bit (very little) on higher side then what I calculated manually. Am I missing something here?

(c) Offers: Well sadly I booked my car in August. At the point there were no offers. All I got was corporate discount, mudflaps and mats.

Lastly, I had a flat Tyre and I did not realize it for two weeks. I went for the air check and noticed that one Tyre was at 24 and rest were at 29. Did not strike me then that I was driving with a nail in my tyre, which being tubeless was loosing air very slowely. The problem started when the nail came out and the tyre went flat. Anyways I got it fixed, took hardly 5 minutes.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:39   #10
BHPian

Congrats lawyer on your acquisition. The dealer you got the car from are the ones that are like bad eggs. Do post some photos.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal on the Punto, Have fun!

As Sid suggested, goto Elegant cars or Rama motors for your next service.
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Elegant it is. and PM architect before you go. His (real) name will open many doors!

PS: Changing air filter so soon? I would've sent an email to Fiat instead. No way man!
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:53   #13
BHPian

Hi, Even I have booked my punto emotion pact 1.4 from A-one motors. For me they have taken around 2 months to give my registration(smart card). After telling them so many times still there was a spelling mistake in my smart card.
Old 4th January 2010, 00:16   #14
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome fellow punter to the group!

The MID does show a small error in the mileage; in my 1.4 E+ its around 1-2% error. I guess it does not calculate the fuel consumed when you are stationary..
But the highway readings are pretty much accurate.

The FE will improve a bit as you get used to the car.. in time.

@phamilyman
The air-filter is something that can be changed even after 10 kms.. Its not a issue that requires FIAT-India's attention unless the dealer changed it unnecessarily.
And as lawyer123 says, his FE increased a bit.. so the change sounds genuine.

Aashay.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Make it a point to go to other recommended A.S.S in your area and stay away from these guys. I'm sure you would experience better service with them. And also please put in a mail to mangesh.kodalkar@fiapl.com and service@fiapl.com on your experience during service. Specifically mention about the missing things and the way you were treated/answered to. Not that it will make much of a difference to you but it could just save someone else from such experiences, you never know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks