Team-BHP - Probably not everyone's cup of tea - The Ford Fusion+ with ABS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Probably not everyone's cup of tea - The Ford Fusion+ with ABS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/74066-probably-not-everyones-cup-tea-ford-fusion-abs.html)

Our hunt for a new (or rather old) car started in April-May 2009. We have never believed in spending a fortune on my car and set a measly budget of 3.0-3.5L. All of our earlier cars have been pre-owned: Maruti 800 (now sold), Maruti Zen (now sold), Hyundai Santro (still a proud 2nd owner), so we were very open to getting another pre-owned car. Since this was meant to be our daily drive car, our requirements (almost entirely dictated by me) were very clear

MUST HAVE
1. Needs to comfortably sit 5 (though not necessarily full sized) adults.
2. Must be a Hatch. Easier to drive/park for daily use.
3. Poor resale value. When buying a pre-owned car, this could translate to absolutely fantastic VFM.
4. Needs to have high ground clearance (given the really bad state of roads in and around BLR).
5. Must have a decent boot space.

GOOD TO HAVE
1. High seating position (after driving the Santro for a few years got addicted to this).
2. Good highway manners. We tend to drive out of Bangalore fairly regularly. We love to travel.
3. Maintenance must not cost a bomb.
4. Expect decent (not path-breaking) mileage.
5. Small rear windows are a strict NO-NO. Rules out most Suzuki hatches. Can’t stand the claustrophobic effect they create.
6. Needs to have some "uniqueness" or "exclusivity". Each of our earlier cars were of the "just another one" types, so this was kinda important.

With these requirements, I could honestly not think of anything besides - a pre-owned Ford Fusion. It almost seemed like a perfect fit (except for the Maintenance bit). Toyed with the idea of a Hyundai Getz and later even a Mahindra Scorpio, but only briefly. Knew it all through, it had to be the Ford Fusion (or the Fusion+ with ABS).

Zeroing on this was the easiest part. Finding one was terribly difficult. While it took some effort convincing my wife (who was a bit stuck upon getting a sedan), it took a lot more effort to track potential sellers. Online ADs (including a couple on Team-BHP) resulted in few (or none) responses. To complicate things further, wifey chipped in with a last minute "MUST MUST HAVE" - the color must be "BLACK". Interesting, very interesting. Spent a few months trying to locate one in BLR, with absolutely no luck. In this process, came across more potential-buyers on the lookout for pre-owned Fusions, than sellers (hmmm...doesn't reflect in the resale value though).

Finally, came across a dealer in Bombay (where I am originally from) selling a 2005 October, "BLACK" Fusion+ with ABS. Would never want to go to a used-car dealer, but had practically no choice. With my parents/sibling based in Bombay, logistics were never an issue. Quickly contacted VeriCAR for a quick verification. The report was encouraging. Was sound mechanically, with a couple of scratches and poorly maintained interiors. Was okay with this. Negotiated very slightly on the price (almost in line with VeriCAR recommendations and of-course my budget) and paid a token amount. Flew to Bombay, early October 2009 and closed the deal. First impressions were not very positive (unlike typical dealer vehicles, this was very dusty and not presentable). The tyres were nearing their end (as hinted in the VeriCAR report) and were begging for a replacement. With no prior appointment, getting this serviced in Bombay (in my brief 2-day stay) was not possible, so procured a new insurance (comprehensive of-course) and had the car shipped to Bangalore (*** Carriers, Cost: Rs.6800).

FINALLY, IT WAS HOME. But it needed some work.

I have now been using this as my daily ride for a couple of months now and the experience has been very positive.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS - POSITIVES
--------------------------------------------------
INITIAL IMPRESSIONS - NEGATIVES
--------------------------------------------------

So this is the first part of my story. No pictures as yet, so that will form part two. Not many Fusion ownership stories on Team-BHP so thought of posting my story of getting home an highly-underrated car (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...its-prime.html).

...to be continued soon (with pics).

Congratulations mate.
Nice review. Where are the pictures though?

A Fusion + Santro, that is like me. Congratulations!

Lovely report Sachin. Good to see that you are enjoying Ford's conFusion!
Cheers

Fusion was one of those vehicles that never really clicked. I had half a mind to go for a Fusion instead of the Fiesta when I was looking around for a car. Good review, do post some pictures. How is the low-speed ride on bumpy roads? Does it toss you around?

Sachin, Congrats on your buy. I am glad that you made the right decision of going for Fusion. Its a good VFM especially if it is a used car. As you have mentioned just watch out for the maintenance part. I heard that Ford maintenance costs a bomb to replace parts in Fusion.

the Fusion is a great car, and very encouraging to hear you didnt have to spend a fortune getting it serviced.

show us the pics!

Nice write up! Congratulations !

Finally, how much you paid for it (if not confidential)?

Hey congrats for owning one of the most underrated SUVish hatchback in the country.
Its one hell of car with amazing power and acres of space. The parts maybe priced on the higher side but i have been told its reliability is top notch.
Awesome tyres too...
You mentioned something wrong with the interiors ??? why whats wrong with them.
And dare i say the awkward positioning of some of the controls take some getting used to.
Enjoy your ride and do upload some snaps..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinayak (Post 1694407)
  • Find the placement of wipers/turn indicators very irritating (since i alternate between two vehicles with opposite layouts). Wish they could stick to a single standard.

The same thing applies for people who offen switch driving between Ford & other cars:Frustrati. But the over a period of time you'll be used to it.

Hi Sachinayak,

I'm also eagerly seeking for FUSION since last 2 months in chennai. But couldn't find a good one. Please keep post more information about that.. It's my pleasure to read them.

Wow.. congrats on your car mate. As mentioned by you Fusion is one of those highly under-rated cars. Had this car been launched now with more user friendly features, it would have been a challenge to the i20 because of its strong build and interior space. (of course its a given the Ford does need to work on its cost of ownership part). But it would have been a seriour contender now for sure. Anyway, congrats on your buy.

Sorry for the inexplicably long delay in posting pictures of my Fusion. Never got a good-enough setting to click them. Thankfully, last week's drive to Kabini provided this opportunities. Please ignore the missing B-Pillar Strip, need to get that fixed ASAP. Team-BHP stickers have been on since day one. Awaiting the FordFusion.in stickers.

A brave choice, but given your requirements, I think the Fusion will suit you just fine. Poor marketing, improper placement and daft pricing ruined the potential of this very capable hatch. I can sense the Honda Jazz going the same way.

Sachin, I do not know how I missed this thread, but I guess better late than never.

I recommended the Fusion to my parents, who are avid travellers, and like to take long drives. Like you, they too bought a pre-owned Fusion+ (unfortunately we couldn't find one with ABS), it's black and it's a mid-2006 registered car.

It's fascinating to read your requirements, as ours were exactly the same. To add to that, we wanted a fun to drive car (my parents owned a Baleno earlier, another fantastic machine, with only the ground clearance being an issue).

It's a fantastic car, wishing you miles of happiness in it. Liked the pictures too.