Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 18:20   #1
BHPian

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package

Hellos Boys & Girls!!!

First a fall, I am as much excited on receiving the "Visa" for this community as I on own a new 2010 i20 ASTA.

Thank you T-Bhp & fellow members and I look forward to some serious learning.

Just a brief introduction of me: I am a 27 y.o. self employed first generation entrepreneur having residence at Ansari Road, Darya Ganj, New Delhi (cramped parking space) and office at Ajmeri Gate, Old Delhi (very cramped parking space). I own a Honda Civic 1.8 V AT (2007), Hyundai Accent GLS (2003) and Alto Lxi (2004). My family consists of Grandfather, parents & wife.

Okay so here I go about my overall experience till date:

Late Nov 2009, we decided on buying a new car and sell off the Alto & Accent so that is when I started my hunt. I initially was very confused on whether to buy a 3 box car or a hatch, manual transmission or auto, should I budget it around 5L or 8L, prefer looks or convenience and so on.
Dec 2009, I decided on to consider the following cars i10 AT, i20 1.2, swift dzire, grand punto, linea & fabia. (All petrol, since, my avg. per day running is about 30Km).
For me, looks are very important and I still feel that Fabia is the best looking car (at least from the outside & front) and coupled with a discount of Rs.50,000 (saw the advt online on carwale) that they were offering I approached it first, then I came to know that it wasn’t a straight cash discount but a savings in 2 years for no service charges. Considering the skoda’s horror stories and our fellow harishv’s traumatic experience, just let it go. Fabia Out.
Then, went to Fiat’s dealer A-one motors in CP with Dad and checked out both Punto & Linea, Dad just didn’t like punto, don’t know why, and he still can’t convince me and while I was checking on Linea (Emotion Pk), he sat with me in the car and I am sure he liked it but never told me, also when were discussing it with the sales guy, he made sure I never talk about Linea, he would always change the topic to either about Manza or how fiat is working to revamp it’s name [FONT=Wingdings]J[/FONT] since, he just doesn’t want me to convince him and buy the 8L car. After exiting the showroom, he politely tells me, I don’t like the brand fiat, we are not buying these cars. Punto, Linea Out.
So I finally gave in and told him he may buy whatever he wants to and I ll drive, I thought I am giving him attitude, but guess what, next day he calls maruti’s dealer competent auto and hands over to him the booking amount of Rs.10,000 for swift dzire petrol Zxi with delivery within 2 months. I was shocked for one but later I was sort of convinced. Everyday I used to see various dzires parked and used to imagine myself sitting in one of those, somewhere I wasn’t very excited and told dad that we are not going for dzire at any cost, it looks to me a pregnant swift with huge bust and bums. Yes, I said that. Dzire Out.
Just when we were discussing & arguing, we decided, wait Auto expo is round the corner, let’s wait for the new launches and then decide.
Jan 10, Auto Expo , Polo, Figo, Beat launched, after reading GTO’s post on Beat, I showed its pictures to all, and all of us didn’t like, it was unanimous. Polo’s pictures I loved it and so did everybody, but I went through the brochure and saw that no Automatic AC, Steering controls on all variants and I imagine pricing would be competitive with Jazz since VW wouldn’t really compete with the Maruti’s or Hyundai’s. Figo, looks good, but no detailed info either on pricing or specs/features so decided not to wait for it.
Our only options left were i10 AT or i20 1.2 Asta. I personally having driven Civic AT was more inclined towards i10 AT but the ladies of the house wouldn’t let it be and then we finalized on i20 1.2 petrol.
Now, we approached MGF Hyundai they told us the waiting time of 6 weeks, no discount of any sort, no freebies.
Just as we were negotiating, my father in law tells me that some friend of his friend is the owner of Rishabh Hyundai and he ll expedite the process of delivery, so went ahead and booked the Sleek Silver colour car on 18/01/2010 with Rishabh Hyundai with an initial amount of Rs.50,000 and were told as a special case, my 2010 manufactured car would be delivered within a week. Till, this time I had not negotiated on the price or freebies with them.
In the meanwhile, I approached HDFC Bank where my business current A/c is, they very promptly send the person, after negotiating, he gave me the best offer of 9% after starting from 10.5%. So, my EMI/lakh for Rs.5 Lakh stands at Rs.2470/Lakh for 4 years, I think I got a good deal and it was all cleared within 3 days.
For insurance, HDFC ERGO person also agreed on transferring my NCB of 45% on my previous car to this new policy and I closed it for Rs.9000 against dealer quote of Rs.16,500. (clarified with the service manager that they do have cashless arrangement with HDFC ERGO).
I got a call from dealer on late 22/01/2010 that my car is ready to be delivered, 23rd being a Saturday, decided to take the delivery on 24/01/2010, they were very courteous, although, they made to wait me for 45 mins, did the PDI, I was surprised to see a Rs.5000 discount approved by the owner, completed the formalities, showroom manager herself came and greeted and clicked the photograph, they did a small pooja and played the song “congratulations, celebrations…..” after which I drove away the car.
The OTR price for my car is Rs.6,05,500.

First thing that strikes as you see it from outside is bold, aggressive and cool looks. On the inside, love the steering mounted audio controls, electric mirrors, FATC & 2 DIN audio with illumination definitely adds to the luxurious feel. On the safety front, ABS with EBD (a must) & Airbags. Plastic quality seems fine. Nice boot space and spacious interiors (esp. at the back). Engine is silent and responsive. Gear shift extremely smooth.
Will post on driving side of the review once ve done a bit of it.
As far as mods are concerned, planning to add sunfilm & rear parking sensor, one thing that I really want to do is to add handrest to the front seats. (is it possible?).
P.S. Sincere thanks to Wildon, whose post did help me a lot in buying this car.
Since, there are already many pics but not many night ones, here I post some of them:
Attached Thumbnails
i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-026.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-027.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-028.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-029.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-030.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-031.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-032.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-035.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-037.jpg  

i20 Asta Petrol - Luxury, Safety & Convenience - Good Package-jan-10-039.jpg  

Old 31st January 2010, 01:45   #2
BHPian

congratulations. great buy dude.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:55   #3
BANNED

Congrats .Wow they really dressed her up well for you.
Regarding Armrest ' Anuj_Mumbai ' already had this for this i20 you can have a look at his posts here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ers-pride.html

and product description can be found here:

Hyundai i20 (2008+) Armster Armrest - Brand New on eBay (end time 25-Feb-10 00:33:50 GMT)
Old 31st January 2010, 11:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congats friend. Great choice. Hope you have many many happy miles with the car. And apart from the features mentioned by you I also love the foldable keys. It super cool
Old 31st January 2010, 20:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats harshunlimited!
Take good care of this beauty you now possess, and update this thread with your experiences as they happen.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

congratulations harshunlimited! in 7th pics, interiors look very plush and up market.

Please update us how it feels to drive 1.2L engine after driving powerful Civic and accent!

All the best!
Old 1st February 2010, 17:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
congratulations. great buy dude.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Congrats .Wow they really dressed her up well for you.
Regarding Armrest ' Anuj_Mumbai ' already had this for this i20 you can have a look at his posts here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ers-pride.html

and product description can be found here:

Hyundai i20 (2008+) Armster Armrest - Brand New on eBay (end time 25-Feb-10 00:33:50 GMT)
Thanks Wildon, they really decorated it well, had to wait for it though.
Armrest is just Wow, looks cool, but 8k for an armrest!!! seems a bit too much and that too after loosing almost two cup holders, I think I ll do a rethink, it is not possible to have them on seats like they are on SUV's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
And apart from the features mentioned by you I also love the foldable keys. It super cool
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
congrats harshunlimited!
Take good care of this beauty you now possess, and update this thread with your experiences as they happen.
Sure, ll do after clocking some miles
Old 1st February 2010, 17:32   #8
BHPian

Congrats Harsh! I too am a proud owner of a 10 month old i20 Asta, clocking near 10k km. Its a breeze to drive with near zero fatigue. I've seen many driver driven i20s, which is a pity I think! Self-drive is the way to go for this baby, just load a ton of mp3s on your usb and go on a long drive!
Old 1st February 2010, 17:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
congratulations harshunlimited! in 7th pics, interiors look very plush and up market.

Please update us how it feels to drive 1.2L engine after driving powerful Civic and accent!

All the best!
Thanks recshenoy, frankly, it would be unfair to compare Civic 1.8 AT and i20 1.2 Petrol as far as driving & comfort is concerned, the earlier one being far more powerful revvs very nicely, has got great interiors, a lot more space, Armrest . All said, i20 does give a feel of a luxurious sedan from the inside, specially like reddish illumination and not orange in most cars, personally I don't like ANHC's console lighting, it's very on the face kind of orange.

One thing I noticed in i20 is the 2nd gear is almost non existent, the car completely dies, else the driving comfort is supreme.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:58   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshunlimited View Post
One thing I noticed in i20 is the 2nd gear is almost non existent, the car completely dies, else the driving comfort is supreme.
Almost all the i20 1.2 owners said this while making the t-bhp official review for this car. Hyundai are you listening ?! we need a better gear ratio pls
Old 1st February 2010, 18:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
Congrats Harsh! I too am a proud owner of a 10 month old i20 Asta, clocking near 10k km. Its a breeze to drive with near zero fatigue.
just load a ton of mp3s on your usb and go on a long drive!
Thanks, I just did a 240Km trip yesterday with loads of music and I agree it was flawless, enjoyed shifting the creamy gears, changing tracks on my steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
I've seen many driver driven i20s, which is a pity I think! Self-drive is the way to go for this baby
I think it is about the employment procedure, you have to hire right kind of drivers, i too have a driver but he does take care of all my babies like a true nanny, does drives well, change gears on time, cleans them & keeps nudging us whenever service of the car is due and if anybody does even touches the car he gives them the bloody hard time.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:00   #12
BHPian

Congrats harsh!

The interior really looks upmarket.

One small query, I saw this in Hyundai web site-
i20 Asta 560242
i20 Asta (O) 582243
i20 1.2L Asta Option With Sunroof 597241

Apart from the sunroof , is there any other difference between the last two models? Also is it really an electric sunroof( the price difference is around 15K ) ? Last time when I enquired about webasto base model ( electric sunroof ) it was 22K .
Old 1st February 2010, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Congrats Harsh for this great buy!
Thanks for the detaild write-up, i20 looks spacious. How is the boot space in i20? Could you post few pictures?
Thanks in advance,
Vijay
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:43   #14
BHPian

You got a good driver if he takes care like a owner
What I meant by self-drive is, its a pleasure driving the car, with music at your fingertips, and changing gears with a flick. For changing from 3rd to 4th I literally use just one finger, its that smooth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshunlimited View Post
Thanks, I just did a 240Km trip yesterday with loads of music and I agree it was flawless, enjoyed shifting the creamy gears, changing tracks on my steering

I think it is about the employment procedure, you have to hire right kind of drivers, i too have a driver but he does take care of all my babies like a true nanny, does drives well, change gears on time, cleans them & keeps nudging us whenever service of the car is due and if anybody does even touches the car he gives them the bloody hard time.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:48   #15
BHPian

Congratulations Harsh for very good VFM package. i20 is really uber cool car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks