Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 00:50   #1
BHPian

VELVET RED Spark LS - (SOLD) - Upgrade to GP EMOTION MJD.

I have been a member of this forum since quite some time and have been waiting to my experience of buying my own car.

I have been driving since quite some time now, and I have driven only diesels all my life. I learnt to drive on PREMIER 1.38D. In 2005 dad upgraded to an Indigo LS. After about 2 years of hard work I finally got an opportunity to buy my own car.

Going back to mid January, I was looking to buy a car within 3.5-4 L OTR along with accessories. I could shortlist two cars in a matter of a few days and decided that I would take a test drive of.

1. Alto Lxi
2. Santro GL - A bit expensive but worth considering

After going through long term ownership reviews and many threads related to these two cars, I understood one that if fuel economy is important and space is not much of a concern, then Alto is the best buy, and if space is of concern, then it should be the Santro.

I almost decided on the Alto as I would be travelling alone 90% of the time. There was an Alto Xcite with ACER Motors in Sec'bad, and after researching I thought it was the best buy. The total price including accessories came to 3.5 L. Accessories included ICE, Leather seat covers etc.

On comparing these two cars on carwale.com the recommended car shown was the Chevy Spark. It was never even in my consideration list earlier. I decided to have a test drive, just in case I don't regret later.The executive at Orange Auto, Banjara Hills was prompt enough to send a vehicle at my office was a test drive. I was so very impressed by the space inside. The engine was butter smooth and there was hardly any noise inside the cabin. The decision was instantaneous, after the executive gave me a quote. 3.57 OTR with 3 years of free maintenance (2009 Model - Discounts 47000). The car was a perfect match for my budget. I planned to get the ICE done and invest about 15k. I booked my car the same day. I wanted the car to be delivered on the 27th after 7 PM. On 27th I finished up my work and ran out of office in excitement to get my hands on my very own first car.

As soon as I reached the dealership, I was shocked when the executive confirmed that Velvet Red Spark LS is available only in 2010 models and that the discount would reduce by 10k. I was a bit disappointed as the budget spilled over to my accessories. But I was happy about the fact that I got a 2010 model, and thought that the accessories can wait for another month.

After loads of paper work, temporary registration and fitment of the basic accessories (Mud flaps and Floor mats) at about 9 PM the car was delivered.

I have clocked about 280km in 4 days and I am in love with this car. The engine is so quiet and the feel of the steering is solid. Initially I was disappointed by the central console and the looks of the steering. I got used to the central console in about 2 days and that doesn't bother me much, in fact I started liking it. In spite of the bad looks of the steering I found out that it is a very good design for city traffic.

Pros:
The beige interiors give the car a very bright look in the inside. There are a lot of storage spaces in the front.(Under the steering and also behind the steering). The newer models do not have the warning lights behind the steering, instead they are now integrated in the centre console, which now has a digital tachometer, digital fuel and temperature gauges, a Trip meter, ODO , a digital clock and the battery voltage indicator. The tachometer is a big plus among all the others.
The engine is very quiet, and the steering response is good.

Cons:
The inverted stalks are a lot annoying. I still didn’t get used to them.
If the blower is set to blow air at the feet and on the face, it gets irritating as the air from the vents near the feet blow straight on to the left leg.
Gearbox is a bit notchy, as in, you need to search for the slots. This generally happened with the 1st, 3rd and the reverse gears.

I also observed that the accelerator seems to have a mind of its own. I did read about it in the earlier posts, but it still doesn’t seem to make sense to me. After I start of in the first gear, depress the clutch and remove my foot of the accelerator pedal, the engine still revs to about 1400 rpm, before idling. Is this normal?

I will post more details on the FE as soon as I fill up my tank again. I know people would be interested in the pics, so am attaching them as well. I will post the pictures of the interiors soon.
Attached Thumbnails
VELVET RED Spark LS - (SOLD) - Upgrade to GP EMOTION MJD.-dsc07369600.jpg  

VELVET RED Spark LS - (SOLD) - Upgrade to GP EMOTION MJD.-dsc07371600.jpg  

VELVET RED Spark LS - (SOLD) - Upgrade to GP EMOTION MJD.-dsc07373600.jpg  

VELVET RED Spark LS - (SOLD) - Upgrade to GP EMOTION MJD.-dsc07385600.jpg  

VELVET RED Spark LS - (SOLD) - Upgrade to GP EMOTION MJD.-dsc07395600.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 31st January 2010 at 00:55. Reason: Removed formatting tags. Pls do not copy-paste from an external editor. Thanks
Old 31st January 2010, 02:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. Good selection of colour too. I liked the 2nd pic.
Old 31st January 2010, 08:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

The most VFM car this side of 4lac and you have the 3 year package. Matiz drive well too, just a matter of getting used to , would suggest swapping the tyres if you can though. The 2010 gets integrated reverse lights IIRC or was it for the 2009 one too?

And about rpm; is this only when you do a cold start ?

Last edited by jkdas : 31st January 2010 at 08:15.
Old 31st January 2010, 16:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Congrats buddy. Good selection of colour too. I liked the 2nd pic.
Thanks Anand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The most VFM car this side of 4lac and you have the 3 year package. Matiz drive well too, just a matter of getting used to , would suggest swapping the tyres if you can though. The 2010 gets integrated reverse lights IIRC or was it for the 2009 one too?

And about rpm; is this only when you do a cold start ?
The RPM issue is evident even when the engine is hot. I read a few posts in the forum about the live accelerator pedal. Most of them say it is because of the ECU which does it. I'm not sure about it though.

The last batch of the Spark 2009 model also had integrated reverse lights.

Last edited by eagle_bush : 31st January 2010 at 16:31.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:48   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Spark, Eagle_bush. This hatch remains one of my favorites in the 3.5 lakh segment. Fact is, it's also nippy and can be a lot of fun to drive. We got one for my Bhabhi in the exact same colour shade as yours.

Drive safe!
Old 1st February 2010, 11:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bush View Post
Thanks Anand!

I read a few posts in the forum about the live accelerator pedal. Most of them say it is because of the ECU which does it. I'm not sure about it though.
If you live accelerator pedal, check it by manually pressing the pedal and see whether the pedal rod is touching the side wall (carpet) or not.

Last edited by Dippy : 19th February 2010 at 16:53. Reason: Correcting quote
Old 1st February 2010, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Congrats for the Sparky, a great choice and welcome to the sparky club. I am also a proud owner of spark LT same color as yourself and thoroughly enjoying it in the city traffic. Do post some more pics of your car interior.
Old 1st February 2010, 23:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the Spark, Eagle_bush. This hatch remains one of my favorites in the 3.5 lakh segment. Fact is, it's also nippy and can be a lot of fun to drive. We got one for my Bhabhi in the exact same colour shade as yours.

Drive safe!
Thanks GTO!

[quote=Latheesh;1709569]
Quote:
Thanks Anand!

I read a few posts in the forum about the live accelerator pedal. Most of them say it is because of the ECU which does it. I'm not sure about it though.

quote]

If you live accelerator pedal, check it by manually pressing the pedal and see whether the pedal rod is touching the side wall (carpet) or not.
I will have to check that! I will get back on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpachigamer View Post
Congrats for the Sparky, a great choice and welcome to the sparky club. I am also a proud owner of spark LT same color as yourself and thoroughly enjoying it in the city traffic. Do post some more pics of your car interior.
Thanks kenpachigamer! Will definitely post some pics of the interior! Weekdays keep me very busy . Will try to take some time out this week to update some more views and pics!
Old 9th February 2010, 12:21   #9
BHPian

2000 KM Update

I was a lot busy over the week so could not post any updates. It's been 12 days with my spark and I have driven the car for 2034 Kms.

The car is great to drive around in the city. My FE fig for the first full tank was 13.8kmpl with 100% A.C. The gearbox smoothened over the initial 700 kms.

I travelled to Vizag from Hyderabad to give my parents a surprise on their wedding anniversary. The distance one-way was 614Kms. I was seriously impressed with the car on the highway. After driving the Indigo and Innova on the highways, I had very low expectations on the highway from my spark, and it proved me wrong. Due to its weight the car feels good and stable on the highway. Maneuvering is good at speeds of 70-80 kmph.

Pros:
1. The car cruises effortlessly at 110 kmph - 3300 rpm (Didn't strech it more).
2. The breaking distances are good.
3. Fuel effciency of 16.7 kmpl (with 60% A.C) Speeds 80-100kmph
4. A nice range of 730+ kms on a full tank.
5. The suspension is fantastic. I could hear only tyre noise on bad roads, and harldy felt anything inside.

Cons:
1. Steering becomes sensitive at higher speeds.
2. Overtaking is a bit of a challenge.
3. The plank for speakers at the rear makes annoying noises.

Vibration level in the car has increased a bit after this trip. Need to get my reassurance check up done which is due as I was travelling continously. The service centre for Orange Auto Hyd, does not have a pick up, which was sad to know. I will take it over the weekend and update this thread on the initial service experience.

Apologies for not posting the pics. Will post them soon.

@Mods: Please change the thread title to : 2000 Km Update
Old 9th February 2010, 13:17   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your newest acquisition !!! I think it's time now for you to change your signature.

Enjoy your ride.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2000 KM Update

Cons:
1. Steering becomes sensitive at higher speeds.
2. Overtaking is a bit of a challenge.
3. The plank for speakers at the rear makes annoying noises.
1) Yes, me too observed the same
2) Never faced this issue - down shift and overtake
3) Stick some flexible material (rubber or foam) on plank side wall (facing hatch door). It will give some tight packing between hatch door and plank when closed.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Congratulations on your newest acquisition !!! I think it's time now for you to change your signature.

Enjoy your ride.
Thanks mayukh.
Updated the signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
1) Yes, me too observed the same
2) Never faced this issue - down shift and overtake
3) Stick some flexible material (rubber or foam) on plank side wall (facing hatch door). It will give some tight packing between hatch door and plank when closed.
Will definitely try that out.
How much can I rev the engine? The manual says not to exceed 4200 rpm, but the max torque comes at 5200 rpm.
May be I felt the lag in power because I was not revving the engine enough.
Old 10th February 2010, 00:56   #13
BHPian

Congrats, pal. I have a Spark and my only complaint about it is the lousy gearbox. Otherwise, I'm in love with it.
Old 10th February 2010, 00:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bro!!! have fun with your new car. Drive safe!!!
Old 10th February 2010, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klever View Post
Congrats, pal. I have a Spark and my only complaint about it is the lousy gearbox. Otherwise, I'm in love with it.
Thank Klever. The gearbox did smoothen after a few hundred kms though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Congrats bro!!! have fun with your new car. Drive safe!!!
Thanks KSM-Vtec.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks