Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 20:54   #46
BHPian

relating this badge with the badge theft thread! i can't imagine how much i will get hurt. I can't imagine something like i buy POLO for the badge (since badge is playing a huge role over here) and if the badge is stolen. oh no!!!!!!!
Old 8th February 2010, 21:22   #47
BHPian

The car looks spacious,purpose built but very plane jane compared to it's competitors.Engine options do not look exciting either.If volkswagen is planning to really sell the car in India they should price it very carefully.It really confuses me what is the target audience they are trying to target.
1)Not the enthusiast(No powerful engine options).
2)Not the youngster(With those mundane looking interiors).
3)As a family car for image conscious(VW badge alone might help).
4)As a family car for the VFM looking customer(I dont think so unless they price it right).
5)As a family car for people obsessed with german build quality(Maybe yes)
Old 8th February 2010, 21:29   #48
BHPian

Well, there is a 1.6 petrol coming a little later for the enthusiast. And looks are subjective. I personally feel the Polo is the second best looking hatchback in India, after the Punto. I think its better than both the i20 and the Swift. And the interiors look cool too - but then, I like beige.

What remains to be seen is the value for money factor. If VW can price the Polo competitively, I feel they will have a hit. If it is too expensive, it will flop.

Last edited by johnjacob : 8th February 2010 at 21:41.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:10   #49
BHPian

@sushant
U have done it before any one does on the web!

The car looks very conventional (means boring) in present day trends. While it's competitors(i20,Beat) look so flamboyant. it looks to me like it's from late 90s.
Though european version has same form factor it has some nice design elements like smoked light effect and LED effect in rear lights that made it look mean and modern.
And add to that mediocre engines that we get here. VW I'm afraid you should price it very competitively if you want to stay in the market. And Figo, direct rival which is going to launch around the same time.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:34   #50
BHPian

If the price is 4 to 4.5 L for the base petrol variant (assume that the top end diesel would be around 6-6.5 L), then I guess I would better buy Ford Figo top end Diesel for a little more.
Old 9th February 2010, 01:36   #51
BHPian

Thanks for the pics and the review. The design is more sedan oriented than a hatchback, but looks good to me. Somehow the results are better when designed this way rather than the other way round - aka DZire.

The A/C knobs look very old-fashioned, but the black on beige looks cool. Looking at the interior pics, there is a likelihood of 3+ variants - as the ideal variant (IMO) should come with all goodies sans alloys and airbags.

Pricing this at around 4.6 (Mumbai) would clearly be a great advantage VW and as regards the VW tie-up with Suzuki is concerned, lets' just call it a far-fetched rumor.

Overall looks like a promising bet, provided they launch the whole Polo family, with different engine options and preferably a sedan version too.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Front looks bold, but the rear and interior are big disappointment. Interior reminds me of old Palio.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:31   #53
BHPian

sushant, you are very lucky to have test drived VW polo. The car appears to me as a "no frills" design. If priced right it sure would be a VFM car. But still the masses will be worried about the A.S.S and cost of maintenance of a VW :(
Old 9th February 2010, 09:49   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

how is the under-thigh support in the VW Polo front and rear seats?

Asking because most of our Indian Hatchbacks seats are a bit short on under-thigh support for people of 6 foot plus height with long legs.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:56   #55
BHPian

Nice review and thanks for sharing the pics.

The interiors dont justify the price, can do better. instead Chevy Beat has got stunning interiors.

I think the 1.6 should be a more interesting version. Till then I feel the Palio 1.6 still rules the hatch segment from both VFM and enthusiast's perspectives.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Time to be in drivers seat. Seating is very comfortable, thigh support is right on place.
Congrats Sushant !!!

Please tell me the following.

1. Driver seat comfort : Is it better than baleno (if u have driven it )
2. Rear seat comfort : How is the thigh support?
3. Rear seat head rest : is this comfortable?
4. Rear seat spacing : good enough for 5 and half feet folks?
5. Any observation about the effectiveness of AC in the front and back?
6. I saw that in i10 and swift, the drivers AC throws air only to the right hand not the face
7. Interior plastics : is it better than i10? is it better than jazz
8. Looking at ur write i think u didn't feel that the car was underpowered?
7. Even i20 is beige interiors but it still does not feel airy, but i10 feels airy...Does polo interiors feel airy?

too many questions my friend, but you are the ONE lucky chap who can answer these.

Cheers
Yamaha

Last edited by Yamaha100 : 9th February 2010 at 10:07.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sushant !!!

The car looks quite plain Jane with no fizz & frills. We expect good quality upholstery & plastics. The gear shift pattern is quite odd, may be we are not used to it. Wonderful use of the rear logo, bad for logo thief's

Pricing will be a key to success in the hot hatch segment. Let’s hope they price the car competitively.

GTO where are you man, waiting you’re your detailed review.
A comparative analysis of FIGO, POLO, Swift, i10 & Punto will be a enthusiast delight

Last edited by tj123 : 9th February 2010 at 10:07. Reason: edited
Old 9th February 2010, 11:58   #58
BHPian

The back looks plain boring and dull. i was surprised when i saw it the first time, had to see it again and again to realise it is really boring.

mods: please watermark the pics.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
The car looks spacious,purpose built but very plane jane compared to it's competitors
The one shown appears to be the 'Trendline' version which is the price leader. I think Comfortline is the one to go for. No point in buying a hi quality german car which is stripped out.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:24   #60
BHPian

Pole drive report

Heres the link to the Car & Bike show's, Indian Polo test drive !

Tubaah: Made in India Polo

Looks like a super exciting hatch.
Can't wait for the pricing of both, the Polo & the Figo to be released
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks