Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 02:21   #1

DZire VDi couple of issues...

I own a Swift DZire VDi (white), 3 months old, 5k Kms done, about to go for 2nd service. The car is in stock condition with no accessories fitted except for the steering grip. The mileage I get is around 21 on highways and 15-16 in city with 80% AC on.

Got a couple of minor issues which I thought of sharing with the forum here and get opinion on it:

1. When I had to open the bonnet to fill water for the windscreen washer a couple of times, i noticed the engine compartment filled with sand and dust.

I haven't noticed such dust formation in my previous car or in any of other cars so far. I checked with the service center guys and they said this is normal. Is anyone else seeing the same problem? Could this cause any issue in the long run for the components under the hood?

2. There is mild but distinct "tuck" sound coming from somewhere under the body just *before* the 1st gear gets engaged. The sound does not originate from the gear knob unit or from the bonnet/engine area, but seems to come from somewhere under the car's body.

The "tuck" sound is heard just before the gear is slotted in and not during or after it and it is not audible at all times. I hear it mostly when i am taking the car out from quiet basement/parking slots. There is absolutely no problem with the gear shifts as such, it is quiet and smooth.

I even tried to demonstrate it to the service center guys but they weren't convinced that there is an issue, and as usual said it is normal sound of some wire/lever working, but i feel that this sound is abnormal.

Has anyone noticed this yet? And if so what could be the cause of this sound? Is this normal, nothing to worry?

3. Engine noise: I feel there is still considerable engine noise drifting in to the cabin and I am wondering whether some sound insulation material is missing due to some cost cutting by the manufacturer :(

I use normal diesel with neither additives nor special engine oil. There is that knocking sound around 1800-2000 rpm which as I remember, has been already reported by some DZire xDi owners here. Even otherwise, i felt it should have been little subdued. Probably this will get better as the car clocks more kms, but right now, especially at lower speeds, the engine noise is quiet irritating and gives me a feel that I should have gone for a petrol version.

I am about to give the car for 2nd service. Is there some kind of special tuning that can be done to reduce the engine sound that i can tell the service engineers to do? I remember the demo car i drove was v.quiet almost like a petrol car. Do they do some engine tuning to achieve this probably at the expense of mileage?
Old 1st April 2010, 00:26   #2

Update:

2nd service done and the car drives pretty smooth now. Especially the gear shift is smoother and that extra sound seems to be missing now, will have to wait and see if it occurs again.

Regarding dust in engine compartment, had a chat with the works manager at the service center and was told that it is common in Bangalore due to the muddy roads and dust due to road construction activities.
Old 1st April 2010, 09:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

The dust must be due to the engine fan which is much faster on the diesels.It must be picking up dust from the roads. You should see the engine bay of the palio mjd. I'm sure you will stop worrying.

HAve a great ownership.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:07   #4
BHPian

Look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ine-sound.html.

Basically, the noise should start reducing after about 5000 Kms.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:20   #5
BHPian

well swift vdi (desire or now) is noisy!! My car has done 7k on the clock and the engine is still noisy!! New sounds from the suspension are beginning to arise, dumping in 5th causes loss of power and in traffic 1st gear sometimes jerks the car way too much!!

M waiting to go back for the 3rd service and blast the bloody buggers!! Maruti has so much head weight that they can throw **** out to the customers!! Already had a turbo change at 5k due to faulty turbo from the company to start of with and now this!!
Old 1st April 2010, 11:29   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalachandar View Post

2. There is mild but distinct "tuck" sound coming from somewhere under the body just *before* the 1st gear gets engaged. The sound does not originate from the gear knob unit or from the bonnet/engine area, but seems to come from somewhere under the car's body.
This seems like the sound from the gearbox, My swift had this 'cluck' sound as well, If you have to confirm this, do one thing - Switch off the engine & then change the gear to 1st & if you hear the same sound, then its coming from the gearbox, No need to worry, its an inherent sound & not a problem.
Old 4th April 2010, 23:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
This seems like the sound from the gearbox, My swift had this 'cluck' sound as well, If you have to confirm this, do one thing - Switch off the engine & then change the gear to 1st & if you hear the same sound, then its coming from the gearbox, No need to worry, its an inherent sound & not a problem.
I tried this and there is indeed a mild "cluck" sound when the engine was switched off, although it has got subdued probably due to the 2nd service done recently. Good to know that this is not a problem.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
The dust must be due to the engine fan which is much faster on the diesels.It must be picking up dust from the roads. You should see the engine bay of the palio mjd. I'm sure you will stop worrying.

HAve a great ownership.
Thanks for the information, will try to get some consolation by opening up a palio bonnet when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
well swift vdi (desire or now) is noisy!! My car has done 7k on the clock and the engine is still noisy!! New sounds from the suspension are beginning to arise, dumping in 5th causes loss of power and in traffic 1st gear sometimes jerks the car way too much!!

M waiting to go back for the 3rd service and blast the bloody buggers!! Maruti has so much head weight that they can throw **** out to the customers!! Already had a turbo change at 5k due to faulty turbo from the company to start of with and now this!!
Same issue here. Have done about 800+ kms after 2nd service over and the engine noise is still very much there. May be it is after 10k kms things would get better but especially for those who had driven a petrol earlier and switched to diesel, there is some getting used to with the engine noise, also with the higher revs needed for the upshifting etc.

I remember, when I was discussing this problem with the service engineers earlier, I was offered a test drive of diesel cars that had come for service so that I can compare engine noise etc. Although it seemed like a good idea, I was shocked to hear this and asked those guys how could they offer other customers cars for a test ride, and would they do the same with my car.. there was no proper reply for that.

Regarding the 1st gear in traffic thing, it may also be attributed to the driving style. Have noticed some people always using the 2nd gear, even while starting off from neutral. Not sure if this is good or bad practice.

Also, had some queries on the other things mentioned:
- How to identify if the turbo is faulty?
- What is meant by dumping in 5th gear causes loss of power?
Old 5th April 2010, 10:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Although it seemed like a good idea, I was shocked to hear this and asked those guys how could they offer other customers cars for a test ride, and would they do the same with my car.. there was no proper reply for that.
Maruti is so ****ed up!! This is the cause of years of placing them high up in regard as a car manufacturer!!

Quote:
Regarding the 1st gear in traffic thing, it may also be attributed to the driving style. Have noticed some people always using the 2nd gear, even while starting off from neutral. Not sure if this is good or bad practice.
wear and tear on the clutch plate increases since one revs up into higher rpm range to release the clutch. Though how much wear and tear depends on how much traffic one gets stuck in!!

Quote:
Also, had some queries on the other things mentioned:
- How to identify if the turbo is faulty?
- What is meant by dumping in 5th gear causes loss of power?
Identifying a turbo fault (simple easy to figure out ways)
- delay in boost while driving
- loss of power, car takes forever to pick up
- the already audible intake gets alot more audible and after a point your car sounds like a turbo from a truck or a bus

Dumping in 5th, well when you are driving in the higher range and gear changes happen at that range. For me when I am driving and pushing the car in every gear, the 5th slots in and there is absolute loss of power, as though the engine is flooded (not the case but the same push pull feeling) or the fuel mixture has become way too rich or way too lean!! the engine will not rev!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks