Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review

It is my first post in Team Bhp, even though have been following it sincerely past 3 months. Thought, this is the best time to post this thread when GM has just rolled out the 1,00,000th Spark. Mine will be approx 80000th

Vehicle: Spark LT Red
Purchase Date: 5th Dec' 2009
Purchase Price: 3.58 lacs on road (with free Kenwood Mp3, Front speakers, Mud flaps, Central Locking)
Servicing: Just completed 5000 km free service 2.

Usage:

1. City Driving- Noida to Delhi (approx 40 kms) daily with an FE of 14.2 kmpl (avg) with the Auto cut off method with 50% AC

2. Highway Driving- 3 long trips to Nainital, Gwalior and Shimla. Avg FE of 17.5 kmpl.

Pros:

Excellent Turning Radius
: Lots have been mentioned about pros of Spark, but I think this one quality is always missed out. Spark has a superb turning radius, probably the best in class which is very imp in a city like Delhi.

Price: For 3.6 lacs, you get value for every penny spent. Most VFM petrol car. Better than indica.

Handling & Driveability & Engine Performance: Spark handles like a dream when compared to my Dad's M800. Manuevring is extremely easy in Delhi traffic. Power steering is very responsive. Gear shift is smooth (though not butter like) and good torque in 2nd and 3rd gear. If, anyone's been to Nainital, if you want to go the zoo, you have to cover a slope of approx 45 degrees. Spark did it comfortably that too in 3rd Gear. Engine is noiseless and surprisingly peppy as GTO mentioned in his test drive. Attained a Max speed of 140 kmph with no problems whatsoever.

FE: Constantly giving me an FE of 14 kmpl even in bumper to bumper traffic (thanks to Ring Road) which I think is respectable.

Space: Even though not in abundance, suites perfectly for a young couple with odd trips with baggage of 4-5 days. Boot space is sufficient for 2 small suitcases. Though thigh support is slightly less (I am 5 10), even then its not something which cannot be overlooked. Also 60-40 split seats are very practical. (PS- I shifted my entire luggage from Delhi to Noida in 2 trips in my Spark). Also the cabin is noiseless.

CPCO: Cashless ownership is a peace of mind. The service till now has been extremely satisfying. I purchased the car from Regent Automobiles.

Cons:

A Pillar: While turning right, the visibility is sometimes drastically reduced. One has to be careful and get used to it.

usage of Space: Though space is adequate, the usage could have been much better. Cup holders are very small, no normal bottle fits into it. all the cabinets are storage spaces are so small that they become useless. Gm could have designed it much better.

AC: AC takes some time to cool the cabin and there is a significant drag which can be felt with the AC on.

Lack of Tachometer: Dont know why this is not provided. It should be a standard in all cars.

Lack of service centres in Tier 2 cities

Cant think of anything else right now . Will update the post accordingly

To whom would I recommend the car

- Want a petrol car, mainly for city driving but do not want to be disappointed while on highways or hilly terrains

- Who have a strict budget of 3.5-4 lakhs, but dont want to compromise on features and buy base versions of Maruti and Hyundai. Also please dont compare spark with alto, it is a different segment altogether.

- Who are residents of Tier 1 cities

- Who are not blind Maruti followers and are looking for value for each Re spent and dont have problems with GM tag.

To sum it up, I am extremely satisfied with my spark. Am planning a trip to Auli this month end. Will update on the same.

Some pics
[IMG]file:///F:/My%20Docs/my%20pics/ari%20shuch/Naukuchiatal/DSC05986.JPG[/IMG]
arsenal.arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2010, 12:08   #2
BHPian

Nice report sir. Your pics didnt come out properly...
Old 12th May 2010, 12:26   #3
BHPian

Dear Mods,

Was unable to edit my previous post.

Thereby uploading the pics again
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review-dsc06308.jpg  

Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review-dsc05994.jpg  

Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review-dsc05986.jpg  

Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review-dsc05984.jpg  

Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review-dsc05983.jpg  

Chevrolet Spark- 5000kms ownership review-dsc05978.jpg  

Old 12th May 2010, 15:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very good report!! Being a Spark owner recently, i can relate to most of the things in your write up.
The 2010 Spark comes with a tacho meter and its a welcome addition!
Old 25th May 2010, 09:18   #5
BHPian

Nice report, Arun. We - Spark owners - are in the minority and are all a satisfied bunch of people. I am excited about closing in on the 5 figure mark on my odo.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up. I almost completely agree with all your findings. You mention that the AC takes a long time to cool, however I find that the Spark AC is quite good and cools instantly. The newer Spark, I see you have the old one, has a digital tacho and I sorely wish I had it in my car too. The cashless ownership works as advertised and I have replaced a faulty blower resistor under warranty without any issues. All Sparks purchased around August to September 2009 may have this issue and I saw a few more of these cars when I went to replace it at the A.S.S. Not to mention I have always been pleasantly surprised every time I get a zero amount bill for my service.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:18   #7
BHPian

Hi Arun,

Congrats on your purchase . One more thing to add is availabilty of lots of cubby holes on the doors to put waterbottels, maps , ends and odds . They really do come in handy on long drives.
We have a spark for about 2 years now and after 23000 odd kms and seeing 1200kms long trips it feels as good as new.
Enjoy.

--Vikrant

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks