Make : Tata
Model : Grande Mk II
Fuel : Diesel
Booking Date : 13-Apr-2010
Color: Quartz Black
Expected Delivery Date: 03-May-2010
Dealer & City : Cargo Motors, Jalandhar
Hi All,

Am thrilled to inform you all that I got my Grande Mk II from the delr yesterday. After a few initial hitches which is Tata, everything else went smoothly. I had test driven the Grnade MkII and a few other options I was comparing. Based on that, here are a few points.

The Minuses first.

(1.) Plastics. It is amazing how one of the largest car makers in the country cannot get this right. Personally I feel, if Tata looks after this aspect, its satisfaction level will improve manifold. Admittedly, there is a vast improvement over the 2003 Safari that I drive at present, but the tacky finish is omnipresent. Clipped parts not setting properly, dangerously flimsy feel to others, Short-cut solutions to yet others. And one nagging vibration part in initial RPM in the lower gears (1st and 2nd).

(2.) Feedback "Improvements". This is even more amazing. eg. the middle seat cupholders were in a plastic foldaway between the front two seats on the vehicle I test drove. On my car, it wouldn't pen!! Though the small ledge etc is all there. I was told that there were a number of complaints of this part becoming loose and falling open in the vehicle. So Tatas have decided to screw it permanently shut!!

(3.) Compromised Inspection. I will not know whether at the factory or the dealers premises. I had a 3" X 2" deep scratch on the front bumper near the sump guard. I had two finger marks on the driver side door - hold your breath - UNDER the top gloss finish of the paint!! Which means that during the painting job, which is supposed to be done in controlled atmosphere, someone with grease laden hands walked to the vehicle, touched the door, left smudges and left. The smudges were not even wiped and the paint job was finished ON the smudge marks!!!!! I had a number of small scratches all around the vehicle. The front left door skirting (rubbing bars) had been stuck shoddily with superglue/Elfy etc. Obviously the double tape or the clips are not working and on a BRAND NEW vehicle came apart. Who ever discovered it, decided in their wisdom to use quick setting glue on PAINT and plastic!!!!!

(4.) I had requested for a factory fitted bull guard. It was not done. The dealer tried to fit one themselves, and could not!! It jutted out awkwardly at least 6 inches away from the vehicle. Nowhere close to how the picture in the brochure shows it – nice and snug. In fact I think this is what left the deep scratch in the front bumper also.

(5.) I had also requested for a factory fitted rear-assist. This was fitted, but does not perform as I was told. It beeps the moment your apply reverse and randomly after that. The less than 40cm distance alarm goes off even when you are three times that distance and then stops. Basically it alarms the driver into a lot more careful driving and in that it is successful in its role, but it is definitely not what it claims to be.

(6.) I did not want body coloured bumpers and the indicators in the OVRMs. I even agreed for Tata to do it at no discount – which meant I would pay for these but definitely did not want them on my vehicle. “Not possible” I was told. If I chose GX I had to like these features that I positively detest.

And Now the Pluses.

(1.) Huge – H U G E inside space.

(2.) Very Very High on the “King of the Road” factor. Way ahead of Xylo or Innova or even the Scorpio.

(3.) The seat I thought was a bit small, but I found to my peasant surprise there is a lot of “give” in them and the seat actually engulfs you! A very big advantage.

(4.) Drives like a dream!! Honestly, it does. I was zipping through the city and the highway (took her for a night spin) without realising I had touched 80 KMPH!!

(5.)Very responsive – definitely better than the Xylo, slightly better than Innova.

(6.) No strain on the engine when you start out after stops etc.

(7.) Excellent gear shift. The gears fall in place if I may use the term “Makhan ka mafik”!!

(8.) Good AC, Good Music System, with IPOD connectivity though the interface for IPOD could be better.

(9.) Money’s worth.

Will revert with more feedback in a couple of weeks, if required.

Cheers,

Marky
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-sumo-1.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-sumo-2.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-sumo-3.jpg  

My Tata Grande MK-II ownership review-old-warrior.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 21st May 2010 at 17:37. Reason: font tags removed.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Marky. Since you post was pretty much a review of your new Grande MK-II, I've moved it out from the "I booked my car" thread, and into a new one.
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congratulations mate. I think accessories are always dealer fitted and not factory fitted. Cars generally leave the factory only with the trim level specified and approved by ARAI. All other accessories are dealer fitted. You cannot generally customize a car at the factory.
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Marky - Congrats on your new ride.
Quote:
Drives like a dream!! Honestly, it does. I was zipping through the city and the highway (took her for a night spin) without realising I had touched 80 KMPH!!
Very very true. By the time you hit the top gear without revving much, you realize 80 & that too only when you see the speedo. The handling was also very amazing for such a big car.

One more negatives was the bumpy last row seating, but somehow I felt Innova was better in that terms. If Tata would've worked upon this factor, it would've probably eaten into Xylo's market.

One more important factor - the NVH is simply superb; I could almost hear nothing from outside & this was one of the amazing thing in this vehicle; and yes, its true VFM product.

Congrats once again & pls remember to share your ownership experience.

Last edited by aargee : 22nd May 2010 at 18:04.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:10   #5
BHPian

Congrats Marky. It looks so nice. Have a safe/happy motoring

Prem.
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:22   #6
BHPian

Congrats for your new ride, Marky. I believe this is the first review of Grande MK2 on the forum. Looks good in black. Alloys would make it look even much better.
Old 23rd May 2010, 05:19   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride Marky. Really glad to know that TATA have made some of the required improvements to make this a real VFM car(muv that is).

Enjoy the ride and I hope there are no more niggles/issues.

Probably with one more round of improvements and additions like new interior, ABS, 4X4, etc. this could very well give good competition to innovas and xylos. I think it is a good move by TATAs to refine this instead of calling it quits on this product line.
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Sumo Grande.

Did you consider the Xylo and Innova when picking up the Sumo Grande
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the vehicle.

The minuses and pluses have been nicely written.

Lets forget about dealer and talk about the vehicle. How is the legroom for the last row ? How effective is the AC for the last row ? Is there a vent for the last row passengers ? also, I guess the rear footstep is missing, is it not on this version ?
Old 24th May 2010, 10:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2010 at 10:33.
akshay4587 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2010, 11:43   #11
BHPian

Hi Congratulations and welcome to the Grande MKII club.. I have done more than 9000km as of today, mostly on the Tamil nadu highways and I am sure you will enjoy the drives..
I tool delivery of the first delivery in Chennai Concorde and even in that the sup holders were screwed down and the service chaps were not even aware of it
Please share your After sales service experience.. For me it has not been a very good one with Concorde.. Not a single problem, though all minor ones, was solved in the first visit..
Old 24th May 2010, 11:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
congrats on the vehicle.

The minuses and pluses have been nicely written.

Lets forget about dealer and talk about the vehicle. How is the legroom for the last row ? How effective is the AC for the last row ? Is there a vent for the last row passengers ? also, I guess the rear footstep is missing, is it not on this version ?
I can share my experience of the last 4 months.. The last row legroom is not excellent, but more than adequate for two normal adults.. My mother and mother in law occupied the last row for an 8 hour haul and they did not complain..
Yes there are vents for the last row too and the AC is really effective.. In the peak of summer we were very comfortable at fan speeds of 2 or 3..
There is no rear foot step in my vehicle too..
Old 24th May 2010, 13:41   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your new truck. Black colour has hidden the extra girth and made the Grande look good.

How about some interior pics.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I can share my experience of the last 4 months.. The last row legroom is not excellent, but more than adequate for two normal adults.. My mother and mother in law occupied the last row for an 8 hour haul and they did not complain..
Yes there are vents for the last row too and the AC is really effective.. In the peak of summer we were very comfortable at fan speeds of 2 or 3..
There is no rear foot step in my vehicle too..
thanks for writing them out. So it makes a better last row seater as compared to Scorpio OR innova. What are the seating options available in the vehicle ? Front seats as captain seats only ?

I am quite impressed with the strength of the vehicle, tall stature, ruggedness.
Old 24th May 2010, 17:17   #15
BHPian

Congrats Marky on your new Sparkling Black Metal

After seeing the photos, i just realized that if the 'TATA' logos were removed one may keep wondering which 'MAKE' is this Vehicle, it looks so unlikely as a TATA product. It looks entirely different and has no resemblance to any existing TATA vehicle (its just IMO guys!)

Last edited by sriny_blr : 24th May 2010 at 17:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks