Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 21:58   #16
BHPian

Hi urban_legend,

Congratulations on your new Xylo!

How easy is it to use the clutch and the gearstick in the latest Xylo? Is it easy to depress the clutch, does it still have a long travel? Are you able to change gears without thinking too hard?

I ask this as the test drive vehicle we drove was 2 years old.

I am planning to buy the same variant, same color for my wife. If it wasn't for the confusion on the lease I probably would have booked it by now.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

congrats UL. nice looking car. when I TD'd it long time ago, I had written about its middle and last row body roll which was quite noticeable even at slow speeds within city. however you do not seem to be experiencing those. what are your opinions on this?
Old 20th June 2010, 13:27   #18
BHPian

Congrats urban legend for the Xylo E8. Looks good in its white avatar. Perfect vehicle for those long, comfortable highway drives.
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Hi urban_legend,

Congratulations on your new Xylo!

How easy is it to use the clutch and the gearstick in the latest Xylo? Is it easy to depress the clutch, does it still have a long travel? Are you able to change gears without thinking too hard?

I ask this as the test drive vehicle we drove was 2 years old.

I am planning to buy the same variant, same color for my wife. If it wasn't for the confusion on the lease I probably would have booked it by now.

Thanks in anticipation.
The gear is a bit hard. Yes, initially had to think hard while changing the gears. Had no problem on the clutch, just the gear stick needs to be a bit smoother. But after couple of weeks and 1700+ kms, its much smoother.

Otherwise, its holding up pretty good for me. Wife drives it to work sometimes and she is handling it well. But then if you are graduating from a small car, you need to give it some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Heartiest congrats. I love this car but wife does not like it. May be the look "grows on her" by the time I come back to India and ready to buy it!

You may like to check the formats of songs. Certain formats are not recognised by the HU. There is a possibility that those formats not recognised are being skipped.

Would love to see some interior pics
The looks would grow onto you, its not an "ugly" vehicle. Its got some looks. By the time your back, we can hopefully see a Xylo in a 4x4 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
congrats UL. nice looking car. when I TD'd it long time ago, I had written about its middle and last row body roll which was quite noticeable even at slow speeds within city. however you do not seem to be experiencing those. what are your opinions on this?
I did not feel the body roll. Sticks pretty well onto the road. After reading your observation i was closely observing the Giant, the past couple of days, have not felt the body roll sitting in the drivers seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats urban legend for the Xylo E8. Looks good in its white avatar. Perfect vehicle for those long, comfortable highway drives.
Waiting to finish the 5,000kms. Want to step on the pedal and go for long drives. Hope to add up the kms pretty fast and start penning travelogues!

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th August 2010 at 17:04. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Otherwise, its holding up pretty good for me. Wife drives it to work sometimes and she is handling it well. But then if you are graduating from a small car, you need to give it some time.
urban_legend, Thanks a lot for your reply!

Am happy to learn that your wife drives it to work. I had posed this question earlier for feedback from women drivers but didn't get many responses.

Quote:
The looks would grow onto you, its not an "ugly" vehicle. Its got some looks. By the time your back, we can hopefully see a Xylo in a 4x4 version.
I too have warmed up to its looks in the past few weeks. Actually I can't think of any car in the recent past that I felt was "wow" at first glance. It has either been "bad" or "passable". For instance I felt the i20, Innova, Ritz, etc. all looked bad when I saw them the first time. I warmed up to all of them over a period of time.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats urban legend

it think it is time for you to change your name to "happy legs"

Xylo indeed is a very big vehicle, once a xylo was parked adjacent to my ANHC, the ANHC looked like a tiny thing adjacent to Xylo

Even though i did not like to looks of Xylo, i think it is a good value proposition for the large happy indian family.

I look forward to learn from your ownership and user experience.
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
I had written about its middle and last row body roll which was quite noticeable even at slow speeds within city. however you do not seem to be experiencing those. what are your opinions on this?
Quote:
I did not feel the body roll. Sticks pretty well onto the road. After reading your observation i was closely observing the Giant, the past couple of days, have not felt the body roll sitting in the drivers seat.
Interesting contrast in experiences !

Most of the roads in Bangalore (other than the ring roads, perhaps) though covered with tar, are very uneven and bumpy at many stretches. Roads in Mumbai may score a bit better on this front. Hence the difference in perception of body roll, when driving in these two different cities, possibly.

@urban_legend, congrats on the purchase, your Xylo looks really good in white ! Wishing you several lakh kms of happy moments in the times to come

Last edited by mooza : 23rd June 2010 at 20:21.
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:24   #23
BHPian

Congrats on your Xylo. It is indeed a large spacious value for money proposition. Waiting to read your travelogues as you begin to stretch your legs.
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:33   #24
BHPian

Congrats on you new buy and welcome to Mahindra Family.

Xylo is a good vehicle on bad roads. However I personally do not like the plastic quality in Xylo. Specifically the inside door knobs. Just wanted to share my views on it.

Does any one have the same feeling ?
Old 24th June 2010, 09:55   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_bbr View Post
Congrats on you new buy and welcome to Mahindra Family.

Xylo is a good vehicle on bad roads. However I personally do not like the plastic quality in Xylo. Specifically the inside door knobs. Just wanted to share my views on it.

Does any one have the same feeling ?
The inside door knobs in the Xylo look and feel like chicken wings, very very fragile and prone to breakage. More so, since they are amongst the most frequently used parts of any car.
Old 6th August 2010, 08:31   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on your xylo. I plan to buy a E8 with ABS and airbags next month so have been reading all xylo threads on the forum . Did a TD last week and found that the gears are really hard on the beast. Hope they become smoother later. BTW, what about the noise that you kep hearing? Was it solved by the M&M guys ?
Old 6th August 2010, 11:44   #27
BHPian

First of all, congrats on your purchase. Make sure your cell # is accurately recorded with the A.S.S. There some periodic camps held for checkups etc. Good opportunities to get a 14 pt checkup done free of charge.

Quote:
The gear is a bit hard. Yes, initially had to think hard while changing the gears. Had no problem on the clutch, just the gear stick needs to be a bit smoother. But after couple of weeks and 1700+ kms, its much smoother. .
Seems like a standard problem in Xylo. When I went for the second service, there were couple of other Xylos (and owners) and all of us found the gear to be hard. I especially had some trouble moving from 1 to 2 in cold condition. Some adjustment was done and it's much smoother now. You might want to watch out for this hiccup. Otherwise It's a great vehicle to drive and nothing beats the advantage of looking above the vehicles in front and anticipating lane changes in advance.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:23   #28
BHPian

@Wanderer78: the noise has vanished of sorts. Not been hearing it now.

@mmxylorider: I totally agree. Xylo is a good vehicle. It is somewhere between a sedan and an SUV. Some people call it as an MUV. But then i would call it the Xylo! It has carved a niche for itself.

Now for the Xylo experience. I'm almost touching 5K on the ODO. Got to get my first service done. The Giant is handling well. Its fun on the road. The gears are a bit hard, but then I have got used to it now. Its not a hindrance while driving. Still keeping the RPMs below 2K. I have to do all the bully stunts below 2k! lol

One thing which i dont like about Xylo is the interiors. Trust me the plastics are a bit disappointing. I have said this before, but then its still is taking time for me to come to terms with the plastic inside.

The ownership has been without much of a problem. Its smooth on the highways. Even below 2K RPMs. Just waiting to rev it up post my first service.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:54   #29
BHPian

I had to share this one incident. It happenned with me today morning. Till date have not met with a single accident. Today the accident met me! The accident happenned today morning while heading for work - I had nicely stationed my Giant and was waiting for the signal to go green. Out of nowhere this Auto comes in from behind and rams into the Giant. The funny bit was that i did not even feel a thing when the auto banged. Though i witnessed through my rear view mirror. The fun part ended there. The Auto had hit from behind, it had turtled. This was all happenning when the Giant was at 0 (zero) KPH. I did not gather the extent of the damage on the Auto till i stepped out. I stepped out more out of curiosity to figure out what the hell the Auto was trying to do.

The Auto was smashed - windscreen, the roof was in a bad shape. Luckily, the driver and the passengers were extracted without any harm. I saw the back door of the Giant - it was dented. I wanted to bash the H*** out of that jerk driver. But then looking at his damage and the wrath he was already getting from the public, the cop and the two passengers, i thought to leave him alone.

The reason to narrate this incident was that only one side of the rear door was in a bad shape. Requires a dent job to be done. Need to figure out the cost of the repairs.

Xylo was pretty effective. I know it was only an Auto, but then the way the Auto was damaged. I feel more safer inside the Giant.
Old 6th August 2010, 23:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Urban legend,

Really these Mahindra vehicles are not the giants but the Monsters. I had such experience with my monster Bolereo in 2004. Same thing happened on my stationery Bolero an Alto banged behind nothing notable thing happened to mine but my friend alto's bonnet door had been bent and became an Ugly Alto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks