Team-BHP - Grande MkII 2.2 DiCor EX BS4
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Grande MkII 2.2 DiCor EX BS4 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/83998-grande-mkii-2-2-dicor-ex-bs4-3.html)

Jessie,
Congratulations on your new acquisition and welcome to the Grande MKII club... Wish you happy and safe motoring..

hi Jessie, congrats on the buy! Now with with extended warranty, you get 4 years unlimited mileage w'ty?????!!

Congratulation Jessie. It is a good vehicle as I am a owner of Tata Sumo Grande. Wish you many many happy miles.

hey Jessie, great writeup, very impressive with regards to the extreme details you have put into your report. I too was researching about this vehicle and found a few posts with information on the Grande, but i have to admit yours is the most detailed road test and report i have found so far on the Grande.

I have unfortunately had to postpone my purchase of an interstate cruiser (havent decided on one as yet) until next year. But i do hope u keep posting updates on your Grande so that we all can get an idea of what it is like to own one.

Keep up the good job and happy motoring :-).

Very detailed report. What one expects from the t-bhp comrades. Congrats on the new acquisition. Wish you safe motoring...

Good decision mate. I guess in 8 lacs its the best deal available in the market. Its a cool family vehicle. Unfortunately it didn't sell well due to Tata's mismanagement. They should call it as Grande only & not Sumo. Also they should market it well.

I have seen the vehicle personally & it feels GRANDE for sure. Its nice. I will say it economical Fortuner ;)

No updated jessie. How was your experience at the workshop. Have you faced any issues? Do u feel any vibration in the floor?

My father got Grande's first service done (I think it was at 1000 kms). Nothing to write about. Though one thing I didn't mention as I didn't know - he also had got underbody teflon coating done - so new vehicle protected against monsoon water. Other things on agenda are:

1) Puncture kit - My father enquired about the Slime thing, but it wasn't very convincing, so we are going to buy a normal strips puncture kit plus a good air pump.

2) Fog lamps - Will get dealer fitted front fog lamps with switch in the centre console panel like in the higher version - this will cost around 1000k extra and involve change of the switches panel, but it will look neat with a switch engraved with fog lamp icon and no drilling will be required to add a new switch. Waiting for the same to arrive at the dealers/workshop.

3) Reverse parking sensors - will be installed along with the fog lamps

4) There is some vibration when accelerating from a low gear - weren't able to get is fixed during first quick service - But they will have a detailed look the next time around - though I don't think they have any clue about it.

Rest the vehicle is good fun - went on a short drive last weekend and was happy with the acceleration as the initial run-in period is over and can start demanding more from the engine. On the way back at night, the chiller A/C forced the ladies to close the vents above them and I was almost frozen as all the air was directed at one vent instead of 3 vents, though I had changed its direction, but still I wanted some airflow. The airflow to an open vent instantly doubles/triples if one/two middle/back seat vents are closed.

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie007 (Post 1994221)
On the way back at night, the chiller A/C forced the ladies to close the vents above them and I was almost frozen as all the air was directed at one vent instead of 3 vents,

And what was the position of the middle knob in the set for AC?

@trrk

It was initially at 2 but changed to 1, still the volume of airflow is substantial as three vents are closed and the entire airflow is directed to one vent. Another options is to change the thermostat settings up front, which was ultimately done.

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie007 (Post 1994434)

It was initially at 2 but changed to 1,

Blower speed, I guess!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie007 (Post 1994434)
Another options is to change the thermostat settings up front, which was ultimately done.

That does work wonderfully. Even in the heights of summer, it need not be in the extreme cold position once the car is cooled.

I always like to have air flow and so the thermostat is adjusted to keep the blower speed a little higher.

Hi jessie. Is the vibration present in the floor? If yes then is it more prominent in last row? I am asking this question because there is a similar problem in my Grande. Have you put leather seat covers and do u have plans of putting a front guard? Please post the pictures of the seat covers.

Congratulations on your Grande. As the name goes, the car looks Grande!. Nice choice of color. Ever since the Sumo was launched, I became a big fan of SUV / MPV. I do not know which category the Grande belongs. I guess the Grande should be ideal for long distance family trips. When I was in college, we used to go to Ooty and Kodaikanal during the semester vacations in a hired Sumo and every time we travelled, never felt uncomfortable on those long drives. On a small note, the leg room for the middle seat passengers is not so much comfortable on the Sumo. How does this compare with the Grande? How is the middle row leg room? Is it comparable with that of the rear seat of Indica?

Fog lamps have been fitted @ 1200 each from the workshop. Saved on the original switch panel cost by integrating the wiring in the rear fog lamp switch which was standard fitment. An extra rely was added to distribute the load. In total it costed under 5k. Will post pictures soon.

Hunt is on for a hydraulic jack, pneumatic pump and wrench - dad has found about some kit costing 11k in all. There is a lower capacity jack available at a lower price, but will go for the 2.5 tonne one for the almost 2 tonne beast.

@HappyRoadie
Vibration has thankfully been sorted out - I was very skeptical about that. Dad showed it to an experienced mechanic when he went for the fitment of fog lamps. He said that some plastic/rubber part was creating the problem and rectified it. He knew this as he had rectified a similar problem in a safari once. So now it really sounds nice and NVH levels are almost at par with that of the Innova.

@joe1980
Yes, middle row legspace is definitely more than the old sumo which had a very short wheelbase (2400 vs 2550mm of Grande). You can check the pictures posted earlier in the thread to make a judgement. I have posted all possible pictures of the vehicle including leg space in all three rows. I feel the legroom is marginally less than my Indigo, but definitely better than the old sumo and one won’t feel one bit uncomfortable.

Thanks for that information. Could you please give more information as to where this plastic part is situated. I also want to get rid of this vibration ASAP. I read somewhere that vibration can also occur due to damaged wheel rims and if not this then wheel balancing should be done.