Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 09:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Volkswagen Beetle - convertible

As mentioned in the thread about buying a used car in US, I finally bought a beetle, instead of the jeep planned earlier. Repeating again, the criteria was small footprint, 4 seats, automatic drive, and some fun/prestige factor. And in the bargain I got a bike for myself, yet to be bought though. And not to mention a very happy woman at home .

I saw there is no thread with beetle in title, so I figured mine must be the first reviewed here.

EDIT: here are the specs directly from the dealer's advert. If you see anythign fishy, I will have to check with the dealer.

Quote:
Mileage: 88,271
Body Style: Convertible
Exterior Color: Cream - Black Top/Ch...

Engine: 2.0L I4
Transmission: AUTO
Drivetrain: FWD
Doors: 2
Wheelbase: 99"

Features: 2 Wheel Drive, Front Wheel Drive, Front Bucket Seats, Folding Rear Seat, Reclining Seats, Front Heated Seats, Leather Interior, Carpeted Flooring, Fog Lights, Front & Rear Defrost, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Cassette, Air Conditioning, Anti-Lock Brakes, Traction Control, Side Impact Air Bag(S), Intermittent Wipers, Tilt Wheel, Power Door Locks, Heated Mirrors, Power Mirrors, Power Brakes, Pwr Convertible Top, Keyless Entry, Security System, Floor Mats, Illum Vanity Mirror, Trip Computer, Clock, Outside Temp Gauge, Remote Trunk Rel Standard Equipment: Remote Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Cruise Control, 4-Wheel ABS Brakes, Front Ventilated Disc Brakes, Passenger Airbag, Side Airbag, Power Convertible Roof, Audio System Security, In-Dash Single CD Player, Mp3 Player, Audio System Premium Brand Speakers: Monsoon, Am/Fm/Satellite-Capable Radio, Total Number Of Speakers: 10, Privacy Glass: Light, Silver Alloy Rims, Wheel Diameter: 16, Wheel Width: 6.5, Front Fog/Driving Lights, Plastic/Vinyl Steering Wheel Trim, Plastic/Rubber Shift Knob Trim, Body-Colored Door Trim, External Temperature Display, Auxilliary Engine Cooler, Tachometer, Manufacturer'S 0-60mph Acceleration Time (Seconds): 11.5, Power Remote Driver Mirror Adjustment, Heated Driver Mirror, Heated Passenger Mirror, Power Remote Passenger Mirror Adjustment, Turn Signal In Mirrors, Dual Illuminated Vanity Mirrors, Daytime Running Lights, Glass Rear Window, Power Remote Trunk Release, Front Reading Lights, Anti-Theft Alarm System, Convertible Occupant Rollover Protection, Leatherette Seat Upholstery, Bucket Front Seats, Rear Bench, Rear Seats Center Armrest With Pass-Thru, Tilt And Telescopic Steering Wheel, Power Steering, Suspension Class: Regular, Interior Air Filtration, Manual Front Air Conditioning, Cargo Area Light, Max Cargo Capacity: 5, Vehicle Emissions: Lev II, Fuel Type: Regular Unleaded, Fuel Capacity: 14.5, Instrumentation: Low Fuel Level, Clock: In-Overhead Console, Driver Seat Head Restraint Whiplash Protection, Head Restraint Whiplash Protection With Passenger Seat, Coil Front Spring, Regular Front Stabilizer Bar, Independent Front Suspension Classification, Strut Front Suspension, Front Independent Suspension, Coil Rear Spring, Rear Stabilizer Bar: Regular, Semi-Independent Rear Suspension, Torsion Beam Rear Suspension, Front And Rear Suspension Stabilizer Bars, Variable Intermittent Front Wipers, Steel Spare Wheel Rim, Spare Tire Mount Location: Inside Under Cargo, Center Console: Full With Locking Storage
brought her home today, no not the woman, the car. Took the top off, and she look gorgeous (again the car).

Initial impressions, she has a German growl, as I have heard in BMWs, not sissy at all. I was very comfortable accelerating at the highway. It came with auto-drive, sports-drive (for late upshifts) and tiptronic for clutchless manual gears. Not sure how much we will use them though. It's quite spacious, more than the two-door mustangs my wife thinks. probably the bug shape helps. And a very nice use of space too. Almost everything is hidden nicely waiting to be revealed, like cup holders, secret locked compartments etc. If you see the last pic, she has a lot of space in her front too (this time the wife).

The good part is once the top comes off, she hardly BUGs you anymore, looks pretty stylish. The only thing that I have felt so far is jerky downshifts. Will get it checked just to be sure, could be just a part of life for a 88K miles car.

I am not going to be driving it extensively, but hopefully I will post some updates as I get to know it more.

My Volkswagen Beetle - convertible-1_1.jpg

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 19th July 2010 at 09:42.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:06   #2
BHPian

The Bug's quite a looker, Vivek. Nice color too, I guess this will be primarily used by Your wife?

How does it feel to drive with the soft-top on?
Old 19th July 2010, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

pretty good actually, almost as much as a sedan. I didn't notice any additional noise because of the soft top. there is a slight rattle while closing, I am assuming because of the glass that goes up after it's closed, but I will check that too. and may be a little damping may help.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I guess this will be primarily used by Your wife?
I hope so . Bug for the wife, superbike for Vivek, life is perfect! Either will be inappropriate when things get chilly though. Congrats.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats Vivek. Its a great color for a Beetle. Good weather is very precious and short lived so enjoy the top down motoring !!!!
Old 20th July 2010, 18:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

yup, and wife is loving the short turning radius and low parking space need.

Only problem is with kids in the backseat top may not come down very often. But we will still enjoy it individually. I drove it yesterday on the highway in 90+F temperature and loved it. I personally like to be exposed to elements and don't care about sun, rain, or snow. The car interior may not like it though.

Quote:
Bug for the wife, superbike for Vivek, life is perfect!
and the minivan for the long hauls.

GTO, I am still torn between cruiser, sportbike, or dual/motocross. each has it's own charm, plus if/when I come back to India, I will be bringing it too. the choices here (used market) are much much more in cruisers than in others, so I might settle for a cruiser, probably a yamaha star, or a suzuki boulevard.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:51   #7
BHPian

Congrats for the Beetle. Looks so chic and fresh.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

thanks buddy, I saw may cars, convertible eclipse, VFM hyundais, good leasing options from honda etc. at one point we even thought we will just take a low cost old accord/civic since it was for her local trips.

But the fun factor just took over when we saw this.

Most Viewed