Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Attention Humans - The Autobots are here (Chevy Beat review)

A couple of weeks back , I had created this thread and had posted this video -

I had asked you guys if you could guess which one has arrived in my garage - and was hoping for a few replies before I posted my review. However GTO's hawk sharp eyes detected that there was no review and deleted the thread

Anyway, I had the report ready but had not clicked a single picture so I thought I might as well wait and get the photos then post the whole thing. But as things stand now, its been 2 weeks since the reports ready and I still havent taken any photos! So I am hoping you fellas like the thread and push me to get some pictures.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:53   #2
BHPian

Attention Humans - The Autobots are here!

And thats how I was baited with the call of the beat. Having looked at the initial photos on the GM website and then the detailed review of GTO. The other cars that I did go through were a mere formality. The cheetah inspired face and the radical design had me hooked. If there was still any hint of a lack of commitment on my part then it was all taken care of once the prices were announced. No other car fit my requirements to a T - the feature list and the fact that I could afford the top end meant that I need look no further. However as one who takes pride in being unbiased and logical when it comes to matters pertaining money , I decided to give every other hatch a chance. This meant testing / checking out the following rides -

1) Ritz , Zen (the new one) Astar
2) Punto
3) Figo
4) Polo
5) i10,i20 and the Santro
5) Finally, the beat

What I was looking for - an extremely easy to drive car , completely for the city, loaded to the brim with gadgets (am a complete geek) which looks excellent and has a great fuel efficiency. Having driven my red baby which boasted of a 2.2 liter engine in Oz - I wasnt too excited about power since few cars which were hatchbacks could make me happy. The only one that did bring a grin to my face was the diesel swift / dzire. Absolutely stunning turbo kick - the car begs to be bought just for that one reason. However being out since a few years and power not being high on my list of things to have in a car (my commute is in the most densely populated suburbs of Mumbai - as such I feel like a kid cutting his birthday cake when I get to shift into the 4th gear). This pretty much meant that I wasnt getting anywhere quickly so I would rather have the conveniences than power. Lets look at the comparisons then. These are absolutely my own points of view , so anyone who owns these cars and does not take lightly to criticism should feel free to skip these parts. In all fairness do check out the criticisms of the Beat that I shall post before screaming bloody murder.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:56   #3
BHPian

1) Ritz - Fantastic engine, Mediocre Design. However what I loved about Maruti was that apart from Ford, these guys were the only ones who really took care of their customers. Despite being crowded , the receptionist at Vitesse made sure we were served by a nice lady who was extremely knowledgeable about her products. The ritz is an excellent car , however the fully loaded version did not suit my budget and I am sick of being asked to compromise on features. The new zen then never appealed to me as a single yuppie. Its too 'normal'. The saleswoman herself asked me to go for the ritz over the zen - I didnt bother asking why , I wasnt a fan of the new zen in any case. Saw the WagonR , hated it - as I always have and moved on. Did not bother testing the WagonR. The Zen and Ritz delivered more than what they promised. The follow up after road tests and the way we were treated in the showroom is full marks to Maruti and shows that despite being the country's top car producer - they still havent let it go to their heads.

2) Punto - I had basically checked out the prices of all the hatchbacks and researched them before going in , so I knew what to expect. However the red punto absolutely blew me away. This is an excellent drivers car and had I not had any budget constraints AND if I had a free run to the office and back , GM would have found it very hard to persuade me to buy their offering. However the Fiat brand name is not one that I am fond of - this was a major negative point. Also I could not digest the fact that a company would not have its own service centers. Especially one that already has upped and left its consumers high and dry previously before. The lack of investment on their part just made my decision easier. However, the car itself is a dream machine. The wheels squealed without meaning to , the engine sound addictive and the power under the hood very perceptible.

3) Figo - Nice car. Felt it to be a little bit on the heavier side. However very well put together. Unexciting design. Windows that would roll down all the way. Also the car that I was looking for was primarily for use by 1 at the most 2 people. The Esteem is what we would be using for long drives (bigger and also having CNG installed). So I definitely did not want a bigger vehicle. I find a smaller one is easy to maneouver. Especially when you have to battle three wheeled black and yellow pests that are hell-bent on competing with flies on a rainy day in terms of who can irritate you more. I just wish the Beat came with a swatter for these pests. I would gladly pay a premium for it. Coming back to the topic, the Figo was a great car but not what I wanted.

4) Polo - tried calling up the numbers that I found on the web but were disconnected or incorrect. No dealers in the Mumbai suburbs. Very few people can convince me to go to town. You may wonder why I did not ask them to come to my office / home. Well it was hard enough to get their numbers and I knew that they were busy with people wanting TDs. I already knew I could not afford the version of the Polo that I wanted. I would not settle for the base variant so decided to give it a miss.

5) The i10 was decent to drive, nothing exciting and the looks were not great either. The Santro is at the end of its life and the i20 was not in the budget. Again, its more of a not wanting a powerful engine, but rather one that plods along silently and efficiently. Also one of the worst experiences in the showroom where after you finish a test drive there is no one to talk to you for the next 15 minutes. Walk out and they arent bothered either. After all the Indian auto market is booming at 31%. One customer leaves, another 3 arrive.

6) Beat - Worst showroom experience initially. Had called Ashtavinayak Goregaon prior to leaving. Was asked to come and they would definitely have a test drive vehicle. I reach in an hour. No test drive vehicles as all gone for 'convention'. This was a few months earlier. This time went again, no test drive cars either. I go to Ashtavinyak Andheri who does not have test drive cars either. I am not asked for my address in either place so that they may send a car home. Maruti does this for me for the zen which they already know I will not buy but I wish to test. Almost bought a Maruti just for the service. I go back to Ashtavinayak Andheri in the evening when I had been told a car would be there. No car yet. On the plus side, lots of cars to be delivered but I am not allowed to even touch them. Give the salesman a nice blast, he promises to drop in to my place within the hour and follows through. Mr. Akram left no stone unturned from then onwards.

to be continued...loads to do , may post before leaving office tonight so do let me know if its good reading.

Last edited by Takumi-san : 4th August 2010 at 10:59. Reason: continue
Old 4th August 2010, 11:29   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your new beat.

However, I am disappointed that your autobot friend is not:

Last edited by chncar : 4th August 2010 at 11:31.
Old 4th August 2010, 12:04   #5
BHPian

Lol, that would have been awesome. No more cribbing about potholes or irate drivers. I make my own road yeah!

Plus if someone really pissed me off then I always have this option -

Old 4th August 2010, 13:51   #6
BHPian

What I like about the Beat -

1) Logos that you cannot steal. Surprised? Well check out the number of vehicles that look incomplete / bland because of stolen logos. The thieves seem to have fallen on hard days when you see Swifts with missing logos. Thankfully that is not a problem with the Beat.

2) The silent / vibration free engine. Has to be 'un'-heard and 'un'-felt to be believed. Simply excellent. I will ensure I change oil every 5k just to make sure that the engine does not loose this characteristic.

3) Integrated stereo, very up market sedan like , the blow away blue colors in the panel at night. Trust me, you would have to try very very hard to be not impressed. The fact that the music system has absolutely everything that one could ask for - USB, MP3 , FM is the icing on the cake. Usually they make sure there is at least one thing missing. Yes, I know about the tinny speakers - but I can live with those. If you cant, try Lobo's thread here - excellent stuff on how to go about upgrading.

4) The design. I dont agree with people who say , we sit inside the car and not outside so it doesnt matter how it looks from outside. Well ,sorry to say , according to me a car is a reflection of your personality and I find the Beat suits mine just perfectly.

What I dont like -

1) The insulation in the cabin. I know other Beat owners may disagree, but I am habituated to the Toyota quality and the Beat just lets in too much of surrounding noise into the cabin. Given the fit and finish of the car, this just does not make sense. Dads old esteem has better insulation. Is this something thats just with my car?

2) Lack of power. Well, I know I opted for this and it seems the car has its engine mapped for users exactly like mine, but you do want a power boost sometimes and its simply not there till the engine is revved up till beyond 2.5k rpms. Beyond that though, its like the car uses another engine thats hidden away somewhere. Be careful not to blow yourself away. Havent had much chance to use this since havent gone anywhere outside Mumbai so far.

3) The automatic air conditioning. Yes, yes, its supposed to be a boon and all. But the GM engineers seriously goofed up here. While it controls the fan speed , temperature and blowers perfectly it also has this extremely idiotic habit of switching to bringing in the outside air. Last I checked, Detroit did not have Swiss air quality either so I wonder what they were thinking when they fixed this as the default. Beat owners, any solutions ? I stopped using this feature and now set everything manually. The digital temperature control however, remains one of my favorite features.

4) The puny tires. Getting a wet, slick road thats without any potholes may sound like a miracle but there is just the place near where I live. The tires however let you feel their puni-ness when you try to drive rough. I was turning at 30 kmph and I could feel that the car would not be pushed any further without causing trouble. Again, this is not what I encounter daily and I am sticking to the OEM tires just for the fuel efficiency. Also the fact that I blew everything on the accessories and the car budget is definitely over the limit. These wheels will last me till they go bald , no discussions on this for sure.

5) If you thought the Swift rattles, then check out a brand new Beat on Mumbai's roads. Granted that they are more like off track 4x4 sorts but GM could have better tested the Beat. Now the entire car is absolutely silent but for the rear wheels which create a big ruckus. I am told that there is a collar which is fitted in the first service and makes the car very silent. However my gripe is that GM knew about this when the car first launched. Why is it that only those who complain are given this installation (albeit FOC) whereas others continue to suffer in silence? They could have at least made sure that every new car that rolled off after the first batch had it pre-installed. I am guessing its characteristic of Indian management who cut corners at every opportunity. Profits in the short term , but losses in the long.

6) Why could they not have allowed a gear knob that is removable? I love leather gear knobs (color coded at that) and I am told this is not possible with the Beat since GM has the affixed. Unlike the usual ones which u can rotate counter clockwise and pluck off.

7) I want the Chevy logo on my steering wheel! I dont just want a blank spot there. I WANT THE LOGO that the ABS version gets!! Anyone at Chevy listenin??
Old 4th August 2010, 13:54   #7
BHPian

Had a lot of drama prior to booking when my SBI loan would not go through. Gave up on that, went with Akrams suggestion of going to Tata Capital through the dealership. Just wanted the car since it was more than 3 weeks since test drives were done so agreed. The loan went through within 3 days and Akram had promised me that my choice red colored car would be ready delivery. Payment was done, car arrives at showroom 2 days before my birthday. I obviously ask for delivery on the 22nd of June. Also ask for the accessories to be installed since the car has arrived. This includes the seat covers, rubber footmats, 3M window film and windscreen film and the autocop (which they threw in for me since I bought accessories worth 10k+ from them).

However the RTO plays truant on the 22nd. I am aghast. The movie showed that the Autobot reaches the home of the young hero on his birthday. I am sure that the decepticons are controlling the RTO. Without the all-spark though I am helpless and wisely hold my tongue. After all , had I completed the loan formalities earlier then it could have been done. And so far Akram has lived up to his promises including the pre-registration check where I looked and check the car prior to signing the RTO papers for registration (as adviced by GTO). I give Akram the insurance papers (done by myself, compared quotes online saved quite a bit) and a letter for the same. A few more letters, signs etc needed and all done now.

I give up my excitement and dont even bother calling on the 23rd , told Akram to call me once everything is done. On the 24th evening I ring him to ask him if I had paid to let the car sit in his showroom. Apparently the RTO still has not given the registration numbers. I told him I dont give a rats *** to the RTO , the decepticons are here and the autobots must rise to the rescue. The poor fella runs around arranging for me to drive out on temporary registration papers. The Beat finally comes home.

For the next 2 days, the car sits in the garage waiting to be driven. Given the amount of dust that had accumalated by the third day I had a feeling that all was not as it seemed and perhaps he was running off transforming and saving people while I slept? Oh well, food for thought. Gave me some good dreams till Akram calls and asks me to take the registration details with number plates home. Get them affixed, call the gang and pick them all up to admire my latest toy.

Become a fan of the easy driveability in the city , the digital a.c. (despite its fallbacks, I like setting the temperature) and the silent engine over the next week. However on the eighth day (yup the same number of days as the number of arms that Paul the oracle has) - disaster strikes...
Old 4th August 2010, 14:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Takumi-san! The beat-hunt makes for interesting reading.

Also very interestingly, I faced a very similar experience with one GM dealer in Bengaluru (can't remember the name now but the showroom is on Kasturba Road) when I wanted to TD the Optra Magnum 2.0 diesel. I must've made 4-5 visits to the showroom but each time they would say the car was unavailable.

I even asked for a TD of the Beat in April and while there were a couple of phone calls from an NCR number the test mule never arrived. It seems to me that there's something wrong with their TD stuff except for a few bright spots (I got a prompt TD of the Cruze courtesy of mobike008).

I also agree wholeheartedly with your feelings on the other cars in your consideration set. Maruti should stop calling the Estilo a 'Zen' in my not so very humble opinion. And the less said about the all-new WagonR the better. The earlier wasn't that bad if you ask me. They just totally lost it with the new one, especially around the windows.

I wish you and the Beat many lovely miles together!

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th August 2010, 03:45   #9
BHPian

@Takumi-san - I hope you finally are driving the auto-bot you have being waiting to drive, interesting write up on the Beat buying experience, i have posted video review for my Beat LT on my ownership thread and a special transformers feature video for the Beat too.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:03   #10

@Takumi-san

Nice detailed review... a lot helpful as I've also shortlisted Chevy Beat to buy around deepawali... similar flowchart for the shortlisting...

the bits about Climate Control (auto air-con) and the road noise... the collar solution are definitely result of your serious investigation... I'll make sure that the collar are fitted before delivery...

eagerly waiting for your ownership review after a coluple of months of driving...
Old 12th August 2010, 11:39   #11
BHPian

No worries KreativeGeek , I am always on the look out for more Beat review threads, will certainly drop in later today and comment. Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
@Takumi-san - I hope you finally are driving the auto-bot you have being waiting to drive, interesting write up on the Beat buying experience, i have posted video review for my Beat LT on my ownership thread and a special transformers feature video for the Beat too.
Old 12th August 2010, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Its surprising that they dont install it before hand. I had my first service (reassurance check thats at 1 month) yesterday and definitely complained about this. I will post more details about that shortly, but it solved the noise problem completely. I forgot to ask them about the climate control system, if anyone here is reading and has solved it then please let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoGeek View Post
Nice detailed review... a lot helpful as I've also shortlisted Chevy Beat to buy around deepawali... similar flowchart for the shortlisting...

the bits about Climate Control (auto air-con) and the road noise... the collar solution are definitely result of your serious investigation... I'll make sure that the collar are fitted before delivery...

eagerly waiting for your ownership review after a coluple of months of driving...
Old 12th August 2010, 11:47   #13
BHPian

Congrats Takumi-San on the Beat , welcome to the Chevy family. How does that Beat compare to the Hachi-roku? ( guessing from your nickname, You must be a Initial-D lover )
Old 12th August 2010, 12:07   #14
BHPian

Absolutely true kenpachigamer. The Hachi-roku was in fact what inspired me to get my first ride with pop-up headlights when I was in Melbourne. Always loved those. She was a fantastic machine for the 3 years that I had her. Still to be seen in my garage.

As for comparisons, both do the drift extremely well. The beat (I have named as Skidz from the movie) with his puny tyres needs the merest of reasons to go into a slide. If he can come out of it or not is something that I have not tested. And certainly not even close to being as rev-happy as Takumi's original ride.

For those who want to know what Initial-D is all about - its an extremely famous Japanese anime based on cars, which later spawned its own movie (not nearly as successful). I managed to dig up a clip though -

Old 12th August 2010, 12:47   #15
BHPian

Continuing with what happened on the eighth day, I distinctly remember seeing the odometer hit the 111 km mark. Being an avid cricket fan , this always reminded me of David Shepherd and his umpiring ways. I am sure a lot of other readers on our forum know this particular habit of Mr. Shepherd where he does a hop scotch routine whenever the score hits the 111 runs mark. I recall some commentator mentioning that it was a superstition and the hop was supposed to ward of any evil that may occur.

Unfortunately the interiors of the beat ; roomy that they may be for the front passengers , certainly do not allow one to do any number of hops. Not that I am superstitious but if it doesnt hurt, then just do it has been my motto. The superstition in my case came true , a few meters after 111 , the car made a funny LOUD sort of noise. It was like a dag-dag-dag clackety sound that I was certain is from the roadside machinery which the BMC uses all the time. However I slowed down and so did the sound. Also unlike noise from machinery which fades away as you drive, this remained with me. I guess a part of my mind knew its coming from the car but it was simply impossible to believe that a brand new car would have such sort of trouble. So I plodded along for a few more meters. This time the sound was so loud so as to make people turn around and look at me and Skids (thats what I am calling my beat now, its the same name as from the movie - and with the tyres that he has, I have no trouble at all in identifying with the name). Once this happened, I decided to stop and take a look myself. As soon as I stopped, so did the noise - which confirmed my worst fears. However given that the noise was certainly not from the engine from as far as I could hear , I was a bit relieved. No one wants a lemon of an engine - the other parts may be fixed and taken apart, but I certainly did not want the engine to be opened. With the car still running and on idle, the engine was purring along beautifully.

I opened the hood anyway. If you would have seen me at that time, there would also have been a stupid grin on my face. This should explain you why -

Megan Fox Looking Awesome In Transformers - Video

Unfortunately, neither was Miss Fox travelling with me nor was she (and I did look) anywhere around to get a look under my hood. This called for serious measures.

I decided not to drive - after all Chevrolet had an emergency 24/7 helpline just for such reasons - correct? Well, sure, theoretically at least. I ring them , they promise to get the nearest workshop to ring me in 10 mins. 25 mins later, I ring them again. This time they ask me to stay on hold while they connected me to the workshops manager via conference calling. The fellow promises that someone would be along shortly with the emergency van. I hate wasting fuel in an idling car (also carbonises the engine) so switch it off. I make a few calls, get out of the car and try to make sense of it but nothing seems loose or broken. I ring the manager again (I now have his direct number) and he says that the person with the van is not reachable - they are still trying. After a few more tries of this sort, he too gets upset and tries to help me on the phone. We figure its got to be a loose stone stuck in the brakes, nothing else can explain it. I try to dislodge the stone by driving and hitting the full brakes suddenly in forward and reverse. The noise subsides for some reason. Its been more than an hour on the roadside now with no-one on the way. I dont want to open the car with any other mechanic and the sound does not seem to be so bad, I decide to limp the car home which is still about 10 kms away. Luckily after driving for some distance the noise stops completely. I however drive very slowly and reach home.

Credits must be given to the Chevrolet help line, they kept calling and confirming that I was in touch with the service center people and they even called to ask me what happened after I reached home. So despite being upset that no one did make it to help me, I forgave them since it was peak traffic hours in the evening and I was a long way off from the service centers. Downside to not owning a Maruti becomes apparent in the first few days of ownership since I was about less than a kilometer from a Maruti service center.

Since I thought it must have been a stone in the brakes, which is now gone , I decide to over rule Chevrolets suggestion of bringing in the car first thing next day morning for a complete checkup. My bad. I thought my conversation with Skids on the way home made him see the light and he would trouble me no longer.

Next day morning as I head to office earlier then usual (lots of pending stuff) - the same noise , from the same place reoccurs. I narrow it down to the front wheels. I ring Chevy help line, give them the same number , tell them that I want someone here right now since this was a brand new car and the helpline seemed to be just on paper if they could not send any real help. The workshop manager calls within 10 minutes, with the car already on the way - whose driver calls me while I am still talking to the manager for my location. Impressive.

My experience with mechanical / electrical things has been that once you do manage to get the repair man to you - the trouble stops. It will however re-occur once the repair man leaves. If there is such a law that Murphy or anyone has already spoken about then forgive me , but if not I would certainly like it to be known as Takumi-sans law of repairs. Luckily this time, Skids decided not to follow this law. The mechanic arrived in 25 minutes, we went for a short drive and scarcely 100 meters into it did he start making his dug-dug sound. Now you folks may have thought I was exaggerating about the volume of the noise, but beleive you me , the mechanic had his ear to the car trying to make out any soun when it began and the poor fellow jumped in his seat. (Note to self : If I knew this was possible, I would have done it at the 111 mark and avoided this entire episode).

He immediately thought about the stone in brake routine. By now we had narrowed he noise down to the front left hand wheel. He decided to jack the car up and remove the wheel. He insisted, and by that I mean INSISTED that I sit in the car 'comfortably' and not see what was wrong. I told him that I had no time to follow Chevrolet for a replacement but I wanted to make sure how badly they had messed up. Once he opened it up, the problem was apparent. The wheel had never been fixed correctly. The bolts were not loose, but not tightened in the proper cross sequence that any roadside mechanic will swear by. As a result, the wheel wasnt moving at the same speed as the spokes (or whatever it is that its attached to). We could see a clear mark where the metal parts had rubbed against one another. Since the problem had just about begun, there was no long term trouble that I or the mechanic could think of. He said this was the first time this happened - and he would report it. It could have been that the potholed roads caused this to happen but unlikely. I decided that pursuing the matter would only cause me to loose work hours, get stressed and have nothing in return. True to his word, the car functioned perfectly from then on. Its unfortunate that I did not have the presence of mind to take pictures with my camera phone when he showed me where the wheel had rubbed itself - would have been great for you folks to see. But I am not sure he would have let me , it was clear he was under orders to make quick the repairs if any or take / tow the car. He was surprised with my attitude when he showed up , but if theres one thing I learnt in retail (while in Australia) - it was - dont shoot the messenger. It wasnt him who did not fix the wheel properly the first time. So if I dont get upset at the fellow who messed it up then why should I get upset at the fellow who is trying to fix it? Sure, its easier said then done - but I have been on the opposite side and know exactly how these MNCs work.

I will continue this review with posting the list of accessories, costs and of course photos shortly. Let loose your queries, will be happy to answer any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks