Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 16:04   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
There is no scraping noise. However, when moving on up and down surfaces, front right suspension (occasionally) makes a small cranky sound - a miniaturized version of bigger crashing sound on Indicas and Indigo-eCS etc.
Hi, was T.A.S.S able to resolve this issue ? I'm baby-sitting a 3-month-old Manza which has the exact issue, except that it a rather loud "bang" in my case ! Needless to say, its rather disconcerting to hear this each time you drive this car over a pot-hole (even small ones). The power-windows switches stopped working a few weeks ago - thankfully I don't have to drive this car often

And what's with the attitude at TATA service centers ? It's not like they're extremely competent at what they do, each visit to fix a problem invariably leads to at least another to fix new problems. Even warning them that you're considering complaining to the TATA "powers-that-be" evokes no response - it's like they do not have any fear of TATA at all ! TATA should stop molly-coddling their service centers, they're bringing disrepute to the brand, & even worse, misery to the car owners.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:31   #17
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Agreed, and yes the requirements are also different. It will be great when Tata cars are as trouble free as others. And at the prices that they sell these cars, it would be a force in the market. It is good if the expectations are already set. Like in this case, 5kmiles already knew what he is getting into and expected these issues.
I guess we all knew what we are getting into when we bought a tata. so we don't complain. If it was a toyota, i would have been to the service station many times already. I have other cars which can take care of quality and driving pleasure, but the manza just fits the bill for what it does.
Old 1st September 2010, 18:41   #18
BHPian

well written, but
sad to hear a similar story again (Friend of mine has similar issues with Vista)
we are all eager to know what did TASS say ?
They are used to talking to Taxi drivers kind of people.
unless you raise your voice, they don't take you seriously
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
well written, but
sad to hear a similar story again (Friend of mine has similar issues with Vista)
we are all eager to know what did TASS say ?
They are used to talking to Taxi drivers kind of people.
unless you raise your voice, they don't take you seriously
My manza touched 9000Km. I had my own share of small niggles with the car. But the TASS - KHT Motors in Bangalore was able to take care of them all including the sound from the suspension. I think it depends on each TASS we all deal with. In general, I am very very happy with the performance of the car. Just completed a Bangalore-Kottayam(kerala)-Bangalore trip with 100% A/C and got 18.8 KM/L
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
My manza touched 9000Km. I had my own share of small niggles with the car. But the TASS - KHT Motors in Bangalore was able to take care of them all including the sound from the suspension. I think it depends on each TASS we all deal with. In general, I am very very happy with the performance of the car. Just completed a Bangalore-Kottayam(kerala)-Bangalore trip with 100% A/C and got 18.8 KM/L
Glad to hear it. Also the mileage figures reported are very good.
Old 4th September 2010, 11:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I had my own share of small niggles with the car. But the TASS - KHT Motors in Bangalore was able to take care of them all including the sound from the suspension.
Hi, that's very encouraging news, despite all the bad news with the Manza I'm taking care of, I have to concede that the Manza is perhaps the most spacious 3-box sedan for its price - for a given price, nobody throws steel around you like TATA

Do you remember what exactly your T.A.S.S. did to make the suspension noise go away ? It'd definitely give a leg-up for the T.A.S.S. that I go to - they're hopeless at resolving issues
Old 6th September 2010, 10:15   #22
BHPian

Have been trying to post since yesterday evening. Hope it works this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Good to see you posting the problems of the manza. ... Do post some pics of your car.
Will def post the pics. Took some for posting on the forum. Have been 'learning' here for past 3 years, decided to become active after my second stint in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Tata still seems to be way behind in quality. Driving a car should not be such a problem in todays world. I mean why are the niggling issues even there? .......
All cars have issues. One of my friend's Fiesta's suspension started cranking like an auto rick. Had to spend quite a bit of dough. Look at others in the options list:
1. Verna - 1.4L over Manza and no air-bags.
2. Linea - better VFM but uncertainty around Fiat + same A**
3. Fiesta - smallish interiors + upgrade on the way Still expensive compared to Manza. Notice the thread on home page about '12 lessons in 12 month'. Amm too lazy to add a link.
4. Dzire - plenty of its own issues + ugly boot + too common.
It is only now that Vento is offering an excellent combination of Quality at a fairly reasonable price.
One needs to pay for quality - upfront cost or servie station sweat. It is only now that we have a genuine diesel sedan which will not have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, was T.A.S.S able to resolve this issue ? I'm baby-sitting a 3-month-old Manza which has the exact issue, except that it a rather loud "bang" in my case !

And what's with the attitude at TATA service centers ?
1. Knocking is almost gone. Happens once in a while. Sound from suspension is not reprodcible 100% of the time either after service guy did something on suspension (had sent my driver for service, so no exact idea on what was done)
2. Light related issues are combination switch problem. One of the most defective parts on Manza, I reckon.
3. Tata's techie guy responsible for my region called me and is prepared to look at the car to my convenience at one of the dealerships in town in coming week or so.
4. Follow-up from TASS has been good after I managed to establish some initial connect with them. And I am hard customer to please on that front.
Tata is serious about improving their product and service. Only that culture ingrained for decades, in plant and outside, cannot be overhauled overnight. They set up over-ambitious targets - on pricing and functionality - and then their suppliers and dealers struggle.
While I agree state of affairs is sad, I am hopeful of turnaround and them doing a Hyundai in next decade or so.

Quote:
My car also returns 19+ on Delhi-Greater Noida trips, returned 20+ on a recent Del-Agra trip. Even with speed in 135-140 range avg shows around 15-16kmpl. In general, I am also satisfied - gotta take rough with the smooth. Super silent cabin for a diesel is another plus which is often overlooked.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th September 2010 at 10:46. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors, use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 10:51   #23
BHPian

Here are some pictures shot with my phone cam. Wanted to take pics just after washing, but by the time driver got the car home, some rain had fallen. Fellow in the pics is him clearing up water.

Nothing much for accessories so far except reversing sensors (Xenos with display on new RV mirror), sunfilms (3M) & some clothing for seats and steering (autoform - mid range PU cover).

Gotta get (a) alloys - like the Tata OEMs for 16K for set of 4 (b) speakers upgrade/woofer setup
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0065_1.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0066.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0067.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0068.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0069.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0070.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0074.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0075.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0076.jpg  

Tata Manza Aura+ 6k kms done - slowly emerging problems-photo0077.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2010, 11:38   #24
BHPian

9K update...issues and improvements, and interaction with team from Pune

Broad highlights experienced over last couple of 1000 kms....

1) Engine is smoother - quiter idle, lower noise when revving hard.
2) Fuel efficiency is marginally up - based on readings from the info display in the car
3) Car is riding well on pot-holed roads. But on increasingly deeper pits, front lower end tends to kiss the road. Too soft supension to blame - do not know. Car is not meant to ride on craters.
4) Most of the niggles are sorted now. Though, couple of new ones have crept in:
a) Driver's seat has few millimetre (perceptible enought) forward and backward movement when locked in certain positions.
b) Driver's door makes slight squeaking sound when opening and closing.

Interacted with team from Pune:
1) Communicated all the issues around suspension, combination switch faced by me and fellow BHPians
2) In terms of overall rating, gave avg to car and poor to *** by Tayal in Faridabad. Gave thumbs up to Triumph in Faridabad.
3) Wanted improvement list (besides of course better Q checks required):
a) better plastics for the top surface
b) superior rubber in certain parts like the steering-dashboard gap
c) Quality of carpet - roof and flooring
4) Wanted feature list (not in order of preference):
a) ACC
b) Rear AC vent
c) Alloys
d) folding rear view mirrors
e)

BIG Problem:
Seeing signs of rusting in 3-4 parts (front fenders under the hood, rear part below the rear glass - moderate rusting in both places). Have escalated to top shots at TM. Will post updated response when resolution gets done. TM has committed to do all the repairing + sealant + paint etc. But I do not want any of it w/o reason for rusting and commitment of no spreading across the vehicle. Matters might go to consumer court. Let's c.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:19   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

My friend took me to take the delivery of his Manza around 9 pm after doing the carpet flooring, films and some goodies. I drove for the first time and liked the suspension and the headlight brightness(good in vista too). When reached home, I found the door handles, power window switches are very loose and am able to remove with the key.
But I drove for 5 km and the performance was good and the engine noise is less inside the cabin.
The next day again went to my friends house and saw the two bumpers are of different colours when compared with the body color. He was very upset and informed the dealer TafeAccess ( a renowned Automobile player) immediately. Tata has to improve on quality. Manza is selling because it is bit cheap and no waiting time when compared to Dzire.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The next day again went to my friends house and saw the two bumpers are of different colours when compared with the body color. He was very upset and informed the dealer TafeAccess ( a renowned Automobile player) immediately. Tata has to improve on quality. Manza is selling because it is bit cheap and no waiting time when compared to Dzire.
@RGK, Tafe Access is a dealer best avoided, elsewhere on this forum you can see several complaints about them, infact prior to Tata they were associated with Hyundai - Access Hyundai, TAL Hyundai. Their dealership was canceled and a well known case was when they passed off a lower spec Santro for a higher one by dealer mods, the customer found out and complained to Hyundai.

In this particular case of the Manza, please get the car checked elsewhere to see if there was any accident damage, get the VIN checked on the VIN thread to see if the car is of recent manufacture or matches with what your friend was promised, just to be sure.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:26   #27
VEA
BHPian

Did the 20000 kms service on my manza. The oil was changed after the first time it left the factory. The engine is louder now, may be the filters are breathing well after the change. There is a remarkable improvement in power, again a fresh filter, i guess. I complained about the suspension noises and they readily acknowledged it. In the invoice i could see a few free of charge repairs done. mainly the suspension refitting. The front brake pads were changed at 20k kms as they were worn! All together, i am very happy with the service. They have at least attempted all repairs. tata is taking it seriously. I put in a set of alloy wheels after the service with the stock tyres. The delay in steering response has decreased, but road noise increased.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Did the 20000 kms service on my manza. The oil was changed after the first time it left the factory. The engine is louder now, may be the filters are breathing well after the change. There is a remarkable improvement in power, again a fresh filter, i guess. I complained about the suspension noises and they readily acknowledged it. In the invoice i could see a few free of charge repairs done. mainly the suspension refitting. The front brake pads were changed at 20k kms as they were worn! All together, i am very happy with the service. They have at least attempted all repairs. tata is taking it seriously. I put in a set of alloy wheels after the service with the stock tyres. The delay in steering response has decreased, but road noise increased.
Hi VEA, do you mind sharing the cost of 20k service, how much for each part and labor (if any). I think it will certainly help other Manza users and will certainly help me. Thanks
Old 25th September 2010, 17:15   #29
VEA
BHPian

Here is the work done and breakup of the costs.

Gasoline Engine Oil Mobil1 3.5 Litres -Rs 4020
Oil filter -Rs 370
Fuel Filter with sensor -Rs 1987
Brake pad kit -Rs 1849
Consumables/Miscellaneous -Rs 323

Fourth Service -Free
Front anti roll torsion bar remove and install -FOC
R/R seat belt each (seat belt buzzer pna) -FOC
Brake system check, brake pad renew -Rs.250
R/R clutch cable (bleeding done) -FOC
A/C blower cleaned -FOC
Headlamp remove refit/high beam corrected -FOC
Front wheel alignment -Rs.300
Wheel Balance -Rs.200
Washing & Vacuuming -FOC

Additional work done
Interior enrichment-Waxoyl -Rs.1175
Painting RR RT quarter panel-Labour -Rs.3200
Sikkens Pearls Paint 0.260 Ltr -Rs.779

Total bill, including VAT and service tax on labour was Rs.14981.
I wonder why they used gasoline oil for a diesel engine!
Old 25th September 2010, 18:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
Here is the work done and breakup of the costs.

Gasoline Engine Oil Mobil1 3.5 Litres -Rs 4020
Oil filter -Rs 370
Fuel Filter with sensor -Rs 1987
Brake pad kit -Rs 1849
Consumables/Miscellaneous -Rs 323

Fourth Service -Free
Front anti roll torsion bar remove and install -FOC
R/R seat belt each (seat belt buzzer pna) -FOC
Brake system check, brake pad renew -Rs.250
R/R clutch cable (bleeding done) -FOC
A/C blower cleaned -FOC
Headlamp remove refit/high beam corrected -FOC
Front wheel alignment -Rs.300
Wheel Balance -Rs.200
Washing & Vacuuming -FOC

Additional work done
Interior enrichment-Waxoyl -Rs.1175
Painting RR RT quarter panel-Labour -Rs.3200
Sikkens Pearls Paint 0.260 Ltr -Rs.779

Total bill, including VAT and service tax on labour was Rs.14981.
I wonder why they used gasoline oil for a diesel engine!
Thanks for the info. Mobil 0W40 is used in both petrol and diesel cars. May be it's named as Gasoline in Tata system, but it's meant for both. I am soon going to go for 20k service on my manza. Hence asked for details so I know what to expect. I estimate a bill of about 7k for oil, oil filter and fuel filter. Plan to get wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done form outside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks