Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 13:05   #1
BHPian

My new fortuner

Got delivery of my Silver fort in early Aug. Been planning to write this ever since, but somehow got delayed on that one.

I have been using a Scorpio for 4 years (not a 4x4), and some time back decided that I want to get a fortuner once its launched in India.

However, it was a long wait, and last year it was launched, and I was not very happy about the long waiting period.
I was in for a pleasant experience when the sales rep brought the fortuner for a test drive. Near my house there is a stretch of dirt track, with slush & lots of undulations. When I asked the rep about taking the gleaming vehicle into this narrow/muddy opening, the response I got was very surprising. “Take it Sir, its got 4x4 and low range, and don’t worry about making a mess. We will wash it”. Wow

Took the plunge and booked it, and in early Aug got to know that I can take delivery. Thanks to Team-bhp, found a buyer for my Scorpio on short notice (I hate the secondhand car dealers) and made the finance arrangements. Within couple of days, took it to Vayanad and finished the first 1000K.

Its much more relaxing compared to the Scorpio and the first thing you will notice is the absence of roll, as compared to scorpio. (Pls Don’t start comparing to a Sedan). It’s a mile muncher, Bangalore, mysore, HD kote, Nagarhole National Park, Bavali and in Manathavady under 4Hr 30 mins (ok, it was early morning 4:00AM when I left Bangy, and I didn’t see any wildlife for photo stops, + I was alone, so no long stops for food/coffee).

Love the torque. Step on the pedal, and it surge forward. And its giving a very decent fuel mileage for its size. 11+ on highways.
It was raining in Vayanad, and I took it to a place that had me earlier resorting to friends Jeep to pull out my scorpio, and to my surprise found that I didn’t even have to lock the diff in the fortuner in the very same place. No drama, no sweat.

Another place:
Local Jeep guy: Don’t go there, dead end, loose mud and tractors have made the last few meters a mess and you can’t take reverse other than through that mess
Me: I see, lets find out.
My relative: Are you mad?, this is a new car
Me: Its got 4x4, worse case, we will call the tractor guy who is working near by
My relative was mumbling something unpleasant, when it came back after a mud bath

Got the 1K service done after I came back from Vayanad. The service guys delivered the car at my home at 10:00 night.
Decided to give a surprise to my in-laws who are in Hyd for Onam, and drove there on short notice the next weekend. Once past Hebbal, the roads are awesome all the way to Hyd, 6 hours driving time (8 hours including breaks) & we were in Hyd!! Kids loved it, they slept when ever they wanted and the only fighting was for the last row seat, as that was in great demand.

On the way back, the skys opened up from Kurnool, It’s the heaviest rain that I have ever driven in, and I could easily do a constant 80, the all time 4x4 was working wonders. The rain was so bad, there were times I was the only vehicle for long stretches.
Not so nice things:

Low beam: Even though this is a projector based light, its very bad (hopeless in wet roads), and I have to resort to high beam. Got to do something about this. OEM color (4300) HID from reputable brands is next to impossible to find in Bangalore. Everyone has the crappy 6000K and above, which are only for good for show.
Stereo: well, Toyota could have provided something with an AUX port in this. How are we supposed to connect an Ipod? Who uses a CD changer nowadays?
Next weekend, Vayanad again.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th September 2010 at 13:14. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Also do a Preview before submitting posts. Thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pvrajan on that beast. Where are the pics man?
Old 6th September 2010, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

pvrajan congratulations on the Fortuner. 11kmpl is pretty decent mileage considering the size of the mammoth. Love the fortuner for its dont mess with me types road presence.
Also what do you think about the brakes , have read quite a few posts claiming that the brakes are inadequate for this massive vehicle.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:09   #4
BHPian

pvrajan congratulations on the purchase. It is a very good vehicle and true VFM. Eagerly waiting for photos. Wish you happy and safe miles.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats pvrajan on getting the fortuner. I am yet to spot a Silver Fortuner.

Do post the pics and enjoy the car.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:01   #6
BANNED

One more Fortuner. Bring it on.

Please post some pictures and and service cost details as well. And yes, like the others have asked, what do you feel about the brakes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks