Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 06:39   #1
BHPian

My BOLD New Drive – Grande Punto MJD (Bossa Nova White)

Hi Guys I just got my "Bossa Nova -White" Fiat Grande Punto MJD delivered today .

I used to own a Maruti Alto Lx which was around 3.5 years old and I wanted to upgrade to something bigger and powerful and better looking. As the Alto had spoilt me with its fuel economy, I wanted something that was very fuel economical yet powerful and the one thing that came up on my mind was "MULTIJET". I had 2 cars in mind which were the Maruti Swift and the Fiat Grande Punto. I started reading reviews of them here on Team BHP and finally decided to test drive them.

After test driving the cars i was confused on what car to buy. I was completely blown over by the Punto. The quality of ride and handling, the looks and the suspension were excellent!! but something was telling me that it isn't a "safe buy" (With regard to resale value and service) compared to a Swift. I almost booked the Swift but there were some aspects that made me change my mind -the dated looks of the current Swift, and the new model that is scheduled to be released anytime next year would make the current swift look even more dated. I also found that the turbo lag on the Swift though fun, is kind of irritating in traffic. Not to forget the infamous rattles the swift is known for. The waiting period for a Swift was ridiculously high (4 to 5 months ).

Contrary to popular belief, I found the Punto to be better built compared to the swift. The car feels solid. Doors close with a nice thud. Equipment and features are way above what the swift has to offer. Yes, the interior fit and finish was a concern. but I didn't find the interiors on the swift any better. The Punto on the other hand does not rattle nor makes any funny noise at all.

Finally I had to decide between my head and heart and guess what.. my heart won !!

Booked the car from Prerana motors -Lalbagh Rd Bangalore on the 1st of September and was delivered on the 9th. Everything went on very smoothly. The booking, exchange of my old car and finance was done in a matter of just 3 days. Mr Suresh from the sales dept did a fantastic job of coordinating with me, the bank folks and the exchange dept and he kept me posted on everything till the delivery. I give them 5/5 on my purchase experience and hope that the after sales experience too remains the same.

Here are some pictures of the delivery:
Attached Thumbnails
My BOLD New Drive – Grande Punto MJD (Bossa Nova White)-dsc_0001.jpg  

My BOLD New Drive – Grande Punto MJD (Bossa Nova White)-dsc_0002.jpg  

My BOLD New Drive – Grande Punto MJD (Bossa Nova White)-dsc_0003.jpg  

My BOLD New Drive – Grande Punto MJD (Bossa Nova White)-dsc_0004.jpg  

Old 10th September 2010, 09:22   #2
superveloce

Hey congrats! I think this is the active model, isnt it? well compared to the swift ldi, i think this is definitely the better option. Whats the OTR in bangalore?

Old 10th September 2010, 09:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the punto active! get the door handles and OSRVM painted white and pillars blackened. Will look more attractive.
Old 10th September 2010, 09:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your selection. I don't think the car will disappoint you. What variant is this?
Old 10th September 2010, 09:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Pri2 for buying Fiat Grande Punto. And yes, Welcome to the Fiat Grande Punto Club

I do agree with Sidindica. Your car will look more awesome once you get the OVRMs painted white and pillars blackened. By the way, do you plan to add any accessories to the car? Like alloy wheels, ICE, sun film etc?

Do keep us updated. I'm hopefully waiting to see more pictures of your new ride. Especially the interiors.

Happy mile crunching. Happy and safe motoring

Amith
Old 10th September 2010, 10:42   #6
BANNED

Welcome to Punters Club Pri2! Yet another person who bought a Fiat after following his heart!

Do post better pics and hope you have a good time ahead!
Old 10th September 2010, 11:04   #7
BHPian

Great pics and a paisa vasool purchase IMHO. Totally agree with suggestions on repainting ORVM and handles.
Old 10th September 2010, 11:47   #8
BHPian

Thank you Guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superveloce View Post
Hey congrats! I think this is the active model, isnt it? well compared to the swift ldi, i think this is definitely the better option. Whats the OTR in bangalore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Congratulations on your selection. I don't think the car will disappoint you. What variant is this?

Yes this is the Active variant. My comparison was with both Swift LDi and VDi (W/O ABS). I wanted to go for the Emotion + variant but it was way over my budget. And I had already stretched my budget.
The OTR prices for the MJD's in Bangalore are as follows:
Active = 6,24,808
Dynamic =6,65,152
Emotion =7,17,709
Emotion Pack=7,84,930

You get the insurance and Ext warranty free over the above price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Congrats on the punto active! get the door handles and OSRVM painted white and pillars blackened. Will look more attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Congratulations Pri2 for buying Fiat Grande Punto. And yes, Welcome to the Fiat Grande Punto Club

I do agree with Sidindica. Your car will look more awesome once you get the OVRMs painted white and pillars blackened. By the way, do you plan to add any accessories to the car? Like alloy wheels, ICE, sun film etc?

Do keep us updated. I'm hopefully waiting to see more pictures of your new ride. Especially the interiors.

Happy mile crunching. Happy and safe motoring

Amith
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Great pics and a paisa vasool purchase IMHO. Totally agree with suggestions on repainting ORVM and handles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Welcome to Punters Club Pri2! Yet another person who bought a Fiat after following his heart!

Do post better pics and hope you have a good time ahead!
The car was supposed to be delivered with the ORVMs and door handles painted. I have already paid for the painting but because of the weekend and the festival holidays, the delivery would would have been delayed by a couple of days more. I didn't want to be without the car over the weekend because of the excitement . I have planned to drop the car at their workshop on a weekday next week and have some minor issues fixed as well.

I have have only planned to install ICE, seat covers and sunfilms as of now. Will be installing Central locking when the after mkt ones are available. Yes.. alloy wheels and a petes tuning box are also on my wish list .

I have planned a lot of travel and I will be posting tons of pictures here.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post

Active = 6,24,808
Dynamic =6,65,152
Emotion =7,17,709
Emotion Pack=7,84,930
Thats ridiculous pricing in Banglore. 6 months before I got my MJD emotion Pk in Pune for 6.8L OTR
Old 10th September 2010, 18:49   #10
BHPian

Warning light lit up all the time.

There is a small issue I noticed on the instrument cluster. The door open warning light stays lit up all the time. I inquired about it with the guys at Prerana motors and guess what they told me... "It is the notification light to let me know that the ECU is running fine" .

I have double checked all my doors, unlocked them and locked them. But I still see it all the time. Is this a known glitch on the Active variant? There is also one more thing which may be related, whenever i stop the car, the interior light switches on by itself. I am suspecting a faulty door switch / sensor.

Should I be worried about this and I get it fixed ASAP? Or can I wait for a week as I have planned to give it for painting and maybe get it fixed then ? Please advise.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Thats ridiculous pricing in Banglore. 6 months before I got my MJD emotion Pk in Pune for 6.8L OTR
we poor souls in Bangalore have been paying such ridiculous prices since ages.
KA is the most highly taxed state in India.

Sticking OT.
congrats on your punto!
does this variant come with ABS?
Old 10th September 2010, 22:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Punto, Pri2. It's better looking than the Swift and also has excellent ride dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
There is a small issue I noticed on the instrument cluster. The door open warning light stays lit up all the time. I inquired about it with the guys at Prerana motors and guess what they told me... "It is the notification light to let me know that the ECU is running fine" .

I have double checked all my doors, unlocked them and locked them. But I still see it all the time. Is this a known glitch on the Active variant? There is also one more thing which may be related, whenever i stop the car, the interior light switches on by itself. I am suspecting a faulty door switch / sensor.

Should I be worried about this and I get it fixed ASAP? Or can I wait for a week as I have planned to give it for painting and maybe get it fixed then ? Please advise.
Nothing to worry about, must be some faulty door sensor. And the explanation which PRERANA gave you is pure BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
does this variant come with ABS?
Nope. Not at all.
Old 10th September 2010, 23:02   #13
superveloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Me too same pinch. Just that mine is in July end.

Old 11th September 2010, 11:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the BNW Punto. What was the final price after all the discounts, exchange bonus and corporate discount.

I guess that price paid would be on par with the Swift LDi which is again very bare bones, guess it does not even come with the left ORVM.

Do enjoy many more miles with the BNW Punto.

More pictures please.
Old 11th September 2010, 12:08   #15
BHPian

^^ Even I was of the impression that the Swift LDI does not come with left ORVM. But, later, found out from LDI owners on this forum that it does, from 2008 onwards, and maruti forgot to update it in the feature list of their website.

Punto Active MJD is anyday a far better product than the LDI, in terms of comfort, VFM looks, handling and what not. Good choice Pri2.

Pri2, the freebies included 50 months roadside assistance too in my city, last time I checked (very recently). Were you not offered that too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks