Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 20:47   #1
BHPian

Second FIAT on its way home!!

In April this year I had to shift from Pune to Mumbai because I got through in a company which was based out of Mumbai. Now since neither my parents nor my wife knows how to drive a car, my Palio was just standing there in garage eating dust. Had to take a decision about it, whether to still keep it or part ways for good as I had no clues by when I would be back in Pune.

A long lost friend casually gave me a call and he was looking for a good condition Palio as his first car. With no intentions, I just suggested him to come over and have a look at my car. He liked it and the deal was finalized.

Come 23rd May and my car, my 1st car, my first love, I handed it over to my friend, of course with a very heavy heart. But was happy that it would be close by and will be looked after well enough.

Since I have always been in Pune and never experienced humid climate, started having health issues. Was admitted for a while and finally my family and I decided that I am coming back to Pune. So the job hunt started again. Got through in a company in Pune. Nothing better could have happened! Was back to Pune on 10th Sep.

All this while, while I was serving the notice period, I was looking out for good Diesel hatch, money not being a problem. So the car hunt started, since I have problems with the spinal cord and cannot travel too much on bike and company buses are a BIG NO NO for me!

Read through a lot of articles, reviews, ownership experiences on TBHP, zeroed on two cars, one had to be a FIAT Punto 1.3 and the other strong contender was the Ford Figo Titanium.

Ever since I test drove the Figo, on two occasions, I was almost convinced that this car is coming home. On the day when I took the second test drive of this car, I thought of a back to back test drive of the Punto FGT as well. The Showrooms are quite close by. Sat in the Punto, cranked her and the engine noise felt like music to ears. With my wife and parents (of course along with the showroom guy) we left for the test drive. Though not a very long one, this car held up everything quite nicely. Took a couple of sharp turns on empty roads and also reached top speed of 90 KM/H. Never felt a small jerk or any feeling that it might go out of control. The ride quality was better than that of Figo. This one was silk smooth and handled better than my Palio.

Music quality was not as good as that of Figo, but it solves my purpose as I like soft music. Boot space in Figo is amazingly big and my father just fell for it. Mother liked the looks of Figo better than the Punto as it gives a big car feel and wife has always been an avid fan of Fiats (Just like me!!! )

Now two votes for Figo and two for Punto. Dilemma . Thing which I wanted to avoid.

Compared the figures of both the cars, Punto somehow took the lead in almost every aspect. The biggest let down for my family and me in Figo were the manual rear windows, a bit rough drive experience and for me specifically the absence of dead paddle.

Add to this, the FIAT service station is hardly 2 KM from where I stay and the engine which has been doing the duty on so many other cars in India, the 1.3 MJD!!

Ford salesman promised me car delivery in a week’s time, but having read the reviews that they end up offering a red colored dashboard somehow kept tingling at the back of my mind. Spoke to Fiat guys and they honestly confessed that it might take three weeks before I can get the beauty home.

I will be booking Punto 1.3 MJD EPK FGT on the 20th of this month and might get the car by 15th of the next month.

Meanwhile, can someone tell me how the Future Generalli insurance which comes with Punto? What all accessories have Punto owners received as freebies with the car?

Well, stayed tuned for more updates next week after I book the car!!
Old 16th September 2010, 22:20   #2
BHPian

well your handle says it all!
Great choice.
BTW what is the price difference b/w figo and fiat?
Old 16th September 2010, 22:31   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

All the best with the booking of Punto!!

Future Generalli is the one who gives Free Insurance.

Your Team Bhp handle reminds me of this:
Attached Thumbnails
Second FIAT on its way home!!-fcb_wordings.jpg  

Old 16th September 2010, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new Fiat, Punto which color?
Old 16th September 2010, 23:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.).

This thread is temporarily closed. Please PM me or report this post once you are ready to update with a complete driving report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks