Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:53   #331
BHPian

PS: All the words that i have posted are just my personal thoughts and this should not be considered as speaking against anyone's words.

Hello everyone,

First of all i would like to say that i feel extremely proud to be a nano owner. I mean it in not just a patriotic way, but also as a regular car buyer.

From my ownership of the car for the past few months, i am extremely satisfied with the car, be it quality of interiors, space, driveability,A/C, fuel efficiency, features and all.

But somethings that i wish could have improved were - utility/storage bins inside and lack of a rear opening.

So for the amount of Rs.2,08,000 is paid, i think tata has offered me a lot or at least the car has catered to my needs.
But , there has been a lot of issues regarding the nano fires. What i feel is tata could/should be a bit more open to the public regarding the issues, so that the public would worry a lot less and it can to an extent reduce the negative hypes about the nano. When i came to know about the fire incidents, i too was apprehensive on buying the nano and cancelled my booking first. But later after getting a lot of good feedback from the owners, i revoked the cancellation and took the delivery. And now, i truly value that decision( touch wood ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
A car that had a tag of Rs 1L is now beyond Rs 2L (inflation i guess). People's confidence was hit with the initial incidents. its just a tad less than the base Alto K10 now, where you get a car with a boot, 1L proven engine and Maruti A*S*S*. Its more than competition.
Nano's no boot, under seat engine, and other cost cutting features are innovations that are eating its sales I feel.
Please do note that the transition from 1L to 2L is not for the same version. 1L was for the base whereas the 2L is for the top-end LX. And as mentioned earlier, the top-end nano and the top-end Alto K10 has a difference of around 1L, with the alto being the expensive one. Even when you compare the nano LX with the Alto LXI, there is still a difference of more than 80K, with nano having better features, though the alto boasts of better A.S.S and engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Problem is that the too much minimalistic approach has hit Tata hard or will eventually hit Tata hard. The car was promised to be Rs. 1 lakh, but that figure is not existing in reality. Alto makes a good choice as the car is proven, now available with option of 1L engine that is a very good unit.

Alto can handle highways quite good even with F8D though the power is less, its certainly not that strained at 90-100 kmph.

2) The margins were thin from begenning, now the cost has increased. Maruti is able to offer good product at nearly the same price. Lack of boot space, very basic looking interiors are not going to gel well with the given price tag. Add to that the fact that lack of boot space also hits the overall proposition. Nano is good car for city driving, but cant take a family for weekend, something Alto can manage better.

Its not end of story and Nano will sell, but clearly the minimalistic approach has taken a toll on the product and image.
Having been in a nano and an alto, i would definitely say that the nano is much more suitable for 4 adults than the alto. But as you mentioned, the alto would be a better car in the highways, owing to its lower stance and better proportions. Talking about the interiors, the 800cc alto's interiors is extremely basic too and quality too is nothing too great. The nano's interiors are too of decent quality. For a comparison, the AC vents of the nano are many times better in terms of plastic quality and feel when compared to a wagon-r's( NEW- have booked one too,so , seriously i feel it!).

The boot space in an alto is nothing great either, but still better than the nano's boot. But as a city car, and as a car for such a price, nano is anyway the winner. The things that it needs to achieve its goals are:
1) Some positive publicity about the car.
2) A hatch that can be opened.

For info,
Nano CX - Rs.1,36,860 (increased by around Rs.10k -12k compared to prices before September).

Nice to see the increasing number of nanos on the road, but it seriously has the credibility to top the sales. (if the nano experiences no more fires and all!).

Thanks !
Old 24th October 2010, 08:01   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
PS: All the words that i have posted are just my personal thoughts and this should not be considered as speaking against anyone's words.
We value personal thoughts at TBHP and thats how discussions end up with a happy and a knowledgeable note. After all personal opinions and ownership experiences are the biggest story tellers of the real world of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
From my ownership of the car for the past few months, i am extremely satisfied with the car, be it quality of interiors, space, driveability,A/C, fuel efficiency, features and all.

But somethings that i wish could have improved were - utility/storage bins inside and lack of a rear opening.

So for the amount of Rs.2,08,000 is paid, i think tata has offered me a lot or at least the car has catered to my needs.
But , there has been a lot of issues regarding the nano fires. What i feel is tata could/should be a bit more open to the public regarding the issues, so that the public would worry a lot less and it can to an extent reduce the negative hypes about the nano. When i came to know about the fire incidents, i too was apprehensive on buying the nano and cancelled my booking first. But later after getting a lot of good feedback from the owners, i revoked the cancellation and took the delivery. And now, i truly value that decision( touch wood ).

Please do note that the transition from 1L to 2L is not for the same version. 1L was for the base whereas the 2L is for the top-end LX. And as mentioned earlier, the top-end nano and the top-end Alto K10 has a difference of around 1L, with the alto being the expensive one. Even when you compare the nano LX with the Alto LXI, there is still a difference of more than 80K, with nano having better features, though the alto boasts of better A.S.S and engine.

Having been in a nano and an alto, i would definitely say that the nano is much more suitable for 4 adults than the alto. But as you mentioned, the alto would be a better car in the highways, owing to its lower stance and better proportions. Talking about the interiors, the 800cc alto's interiors is extremely basic too and quality too is nothing too great. The nano's interiors are too of decent quality. For a comparison, the AC vents of the nano are many times better in terms of plastic quality and feel when compared to a wagon-r's( NEW- have booked one too,so , seriously i feel it!).

The boot space in an alto is nothing great either, but still better than the nano's boot. But as a city car, and as a car for such a price, nano is anyway the winner. The things that it needs to achieve its goals are:
1) Some positive publicity about the car.
2) A hatch that can be opened.

For info,
Nano CX - Rs.1,36,860 (increased by around Rs.10k -12k compared to prices before September).

Nice to see the increasing number of nanos on the road, but it seriously has the credibility to top the sales. (if the nano experiences no more fires and all!).

Thanks !
Thanks freakmuzik for sharing how you feel about your NANO. I really wanted a NANO owner to comments so that we could actually discuss the real put-ons and put-offs of the car. And its great to here someone who revoked his cancellation. Happy riding the uber cute NANO.

My idea of starting this part of the thread was to really discuss the bottleneck (if any) for NANO to become a sales burner for TATA. Also, for us the benchmarks have always been MSL, but when MSL launched its sales crunchers, there wasnt much in the market. Now or in coming few years, even NANO segment might be facing competition. So for NANO to burn sales charts, it has to be cautious and extravagant both. Does NANO fit the eligibility books. Thats all I want to discuss here.

@freakmuzik : how many times you have been put off for not having an openable boot? do you feel the requirement?
Old 24th October 2010, 11:30   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
We value personal thoughts at TBHP and thats how discussions end up with a happy and a knowledgeable note. After all personal opinions and ownership experiences are the biggest story tellers of the real world of cars.

Thanks freakmuzik for sharing how you feel about your NANO. I really wanted a NANO owner to comments so that we could actually discuss the real put-ons and put-offs of the car. And its great to here someone who revoked his cancellation. Happy riding the uber cute NANO.

My idea of starting this part of the thread was to really discuss the bottleneck (if any) for NANO to become a sales burner for TATA. Also, for us the benchmarks have always been MSL, but when MSL launched its sales crunchers, there wasnt much in the market. Now or in coming few years, even NANO segment might be facing competition. So for NANO to burn sales charts, it has to be cautious and extravagant both. Does NANO fit the eligibility books. Thats all I want to discuss here.

@freakmuzik : how many times you have been put off for not having an openable boot? do you feel the requirement?
What i feel is, if the nano had been launched with say, a maruti badge, nano might have set the sales chart on fire, even with the few fire incidents. What makes me wonder is the M-800 still sells around 3K-4K, even with it being not available in the metro's. This is surely because of MSL's contribution in terms of customer service and everything in the past 2 to 3 decades. And we cannot expect tata to do the same within a few years from now. It is possible though if there is a complete revamp in their customer care/A.S.S setup with proper training for the staff's and all. But still, it would be difficult for tata to reach such a state in a quick time.

The success of all maruti cars are that, even though their low cost cars are mostly no-frill cars (leave the A-Star and Alto K10), and even if their quality and comfort level offered is not so great, people prefer them over other mainly because of the success of maruti's A.S.S, good resale value, no-nonsense type of cars and relatively very high standards of customer care/support and dealership experience( though,not is all cases).

@justwheels: Not much actually. The thing is i have mostly been travelling in the city and mostly with 3 to 4 people. In case of 3 people i can easily put the shopping bags and stuff in place of the 4th passenger. Yesterday, had been to big bazaar with 3 passengers. After shopping, we had 11 to 12 huge carry bags, which i easily managed to put it in place of the 4th passenger. But if there is a person more, there is surely the need of a rear hatch opening, and with the LX, the parcel tray again plays the spoilsport, reducing the access to the boot. I think the boot matches the size of A-Star's if not more( just a mere guess).

But i think tata should launch a version with a glove box and hatch opening asap as its not a comfort feature, rather its a necessity.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:33   #334
BHPian

Oct Sales for Nano : 3025, for sure thats not what TML (and all of us) was hoping after so much of appreciation.
I am not sure but as far as I know, off the shelf sales are not yet open for all cities. Can the stats gurus of TBHP put some light on this issue. I am just questioning the number of pre-booked nano's vs off shelf deliveries. As the pre-booking back log goes down, how will nano perform is still to be seen. My best wishes to the cute innovation, but unfortunately, market hardly runs on emotions (leaving aside MSL).
Old 5th November 2010, 20:07   #335
BHPian

One issue I'm facing with my Nano now - an oil leak on the floor under the engine area. I got the second service done just a few days back.
Old 10th November 2010, 15:02   #336
BHPian

I just came across a news about Tata calling back some nano's for safety issue. This is the first time when Nano call back has been officially confirmed. I just posted this link on another thread about Nano, confused with which thread is active so posting here again.

Link: Tata Motors to recall some Nanos to enhance safety - NDTV Profit
Old 8th August 2011, 15:20   #337
BHPian

Re: Test-Driven : Tata Nano!

Tata is offering Nano at RS 20000 less (discount) just verified with a dealer in bangalore. Apart from that there is no current offer. I guess July sales have hit Tata very badly only 3000 odd Nano were sold.
Old 25th September 2011, 16:17   #338
BHPian

I live at IIT KGP and have a Swift VXi. My parents and my 4-leggerd baby live in Hyderabad and I vist at least 5 times a year, including vacations & holidays (we have 2 months summer off). We don't have a car in Hyderabad. Too much hassle trying to get autos. Therefore, I am thinking of getting an inexpensive car and was thinking of the Nano.

What is the latest feelings amongst Team-BHP guys about the Nano? I don't think there is anything else comparable in price. I just need it for city commute.

Please help me with your thoughts especially with niggles and ***. Who would be the recommended dealer - we live in Habsiguda.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 19th October 2011, 13:20   #339
BHPian

picked one happy with performance..

Note from Mod : GTO's 2012 Tata Nano Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion on the review thread. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2011 at 16:09. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks