Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:50   #31
BHPian

Software Update for TDI

I have already posted this on Chethan's thread but doing so on mine as well.

All Polo TDI's manufactured starting 17th of November 2010 will have a new software version (ver 8513, upgraded from 666 or 7346).

The first thing being done to all TDI Polo's that report a problem is an upgrade to this SW version. Usually this problem is associated with the engine displaying characteristics under heavy load in all gears at low revs causing shuddering and excessive clatter.

Please discuss this with the service manager should you need to be at the service center for anything.
Old 20th December 2010, 18:39   #32
BHPian

1800 km review

The Polo has been with us now for 7 weeks and has clocked 1800 Kms.

Observations at 1800 Km of ownership
  • The TDI only gets better as the miles tick away on the odometer. It is smoother sounding and less clattery.
  • There car’s eagerness to dart forward when needed has tremendously improved
  • City drivability was never a problem but having said that it is getting better each day. The car is perfectly happy at being shifted into 2nd when just about rolling and has a tallish 3rd gear
  • The 3rd gear is simply lovely and gives you the being pushed back into your seat feeling. This followed by the 5th gear. The car is ever so responsive in the 5th on highway drives when you need to move quicker
  • The gear shifts are simply outstanding; they just slot in the right place with lovely notch like action and not like a rubbery bushing that is uncertain.
  • I am yet to get a fix on the correct air pressure. 29 psi is just perfect when I am driving alone but in my opinion is inadequate with even one more person in the car. For that it needs to be in the 30 – 31 psi range. I am still experimenting and will keep updating with my experience
  • It is my opinion that VW needs to look at another tire brand. Simply put the Apollo Acelere’s are still relatively hard compound tires and I prefer one manufactured with a softer compound.
  • I initially felt that the door mirrors were too small but have long gotten over that and do not lack confidence when using them. Same goes for the rear view mirror. It covers the rear glass completely and does not really require being wider as all you’d see more of, is the insides of the car.
  • My ever continuing tryst with the driving position: This is how I adjusted to my latest driving position. This after reading a lot on what is the correct position (safest, with most reach and control and foot pressure)
  1. Seat height adjusted so that the line of sight is through center of the of the height of the glass
  2. Seat travel: Adjust it so that with the clutch completely depressed, the lower half of your thigh (the portion halfway down the femur toward the knee) just about touches the front of the seat
  3. Now adjust the back rest so that the curve of the seat sits snug into the little of your lower back and your shoulder blades are flat against the upper part of the back rest
  4. Adjust the steering rake so that you can see all the instruments clearly
  5. Adjust the reach so that with your shoulder blade flat against the back rest, you can grip the top of the wheel at 90 degrees with your arm straight. Alternately adjust the reach such that when cross your hands over and grip the steering wheel at 0 degrees and 180 degrees, your hands are straight.
  • The position was has made a big difference to my driving. I definitely have more control over the car in terms of reach, ability to quickly turn the wheel, reach the clutch pedal such that it depresses completely and have optimum force on the brake pedal. Of course not to mention a less aching left leg in stop and go traffic. You will also be surprised to know how much rear leg room can be made available if one drives with the seat in the recommended positions!
  • Car cover: The Tyvek car cover is always on my car when parked at home or at the office. Tyvek as a fabric is very soft and very friendly to painted surfaces, water resistant and cuts the UV out completely.
  • No issues for me to report on the plastics or rubber beadings. The car is cleaned everyday and wiped down with a chamois cloth that is highly water absorbent and completely non abrasive. Every 2 weeks I personally lightly shampoo the car to get spots of the paint. The final wipe down after the chamois wipe is with a microfiber cloth which helps remove any streak marks.
  • The front alloy wheels have a lot of carbon dust on them even under normal braking usage. I suspect that the front discs brakes are of a very good quality.
  • I am contemplating changing the bulbs in my fog lamps as well. Any tips from anyone?
  • I just love the boot of this car. It has sufficient space to swallow up a large check in bag along with 2 other smaller ones and yet have the parcel tray sit back in position completely.
  • The harness of the tool kit is not sufficient. I don’t like any cabin noises and I am looking at ways to eliminating even the plastic clatter over bumps and rough roads.
  • Something worries me. The car even though centrally locked through the driver’s door, can be opened from the inside without me unlocking it. Now I have activated a child lock for one of the doors where the car seat is but have not done so for the driver side rear door. I am afraid that someone would open it by mistake. Is there some way I can keep it locked?
  • My fuel efficiency in the city with bumper to bumper Bombay traffic and short spells of free road has been around 15 km/l. I am absolutely satisfied with the same.
  • The MFD display in mode 2 resets after 20 hours of driving. I just cannot for the life of me understand why that should be the case. I need more than 20 hours of driving to finish one tank of fuel and mode 2 should continue as long as I need it to.
  • All in all I am very satisfied with the car, its performance and its package.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2010, 20:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.2 TDI - My Experience & Review

Congrats NevGin, glad to hear some great feedback about the Polo. I unfortunately saw very few of them on the streets in Pune. It is one of the best looking cars as of date. Wish you many a pleasant drive in this beauty.
Old 9th April 2011, 14:16   #34
BHPian

Congrats Nevgin !!! I love the colour on your polo... And you have the exact car which I m getting save the colour. Till I get mine I will trouble you with questions

Down the road I plan to change the music system as well
Without any sacrifice to the aesthetics fit and finish

Have you researched on rns300 if it fits properly?
How much it costs and most imp- when do you intend to get one? Maybe we could get 2 together to help in more than just cost but with proper installation

Happy driving your beauty
Old 21st May 2011, 21:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1800 km review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
The Polo has been with us now for 7 weeks and has clocked 1800 Kms.
Hey NevGin,

Long time no update on your Polo TDi!

How's she been treating you?

Cheers!
Old 21st May 2011, 21:47   #36
BHPian

As a matter of fact it is doing very well! Thanks for asking. She has now clocked 8400 Km and I am just about coming up on 6 months of ownership. The engine has really refined itself over time becoming smoother. My front doors are a little creaky so need to get those set again but besides that no complaints. My mileage in the city: 13 km/l congested city, 16 km/l moving city traffic, Highway (Speeds from 100 to 160): 18, Crusing (60 to 80 km/hr): 21 to 24. I am terribly happy with this choice.
Old 21st May 2011, 21:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My mileage in the city: 13 km/l congested city, 16 km/l moving city traffic, Highway (Speeds from 100 to 160): 18, Crusing (60 to 80 km/hr): 21 to 24. I am terribly happy with this choice.
Whoa..in Bombay!! I get 10kpl in congested city traffic and 16 on highway.

EDIT: Just noticed yours is a TDI and mine is a petrol

Last edited by theragingbull : 21st May 2011 at 21:55.
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Whoa..in Bombay!! I get 10kpl in congested city traffic and 16 on highway.

EDIT: Just noticed yours is a TDI and mine is a petrol
Zohaib, your mileage looks good as well. Very soon I am getting a car with your engine but a different body for my wife . Watch this space
Old 25th May 2011, 04:45   #39
BHPian

Hello NevGin

This is very elaborate write up about the car. On couple of thread's i have seen people complaining about the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). Do you have any comments on this problem that POLO is facing. Frankly speaking what is your say on buying the car and after-sales services.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Hello NevGin

This is very elaborate write up about the car. On couple of thread's i have seen people complaining about the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). Do you have any comments on this problem that POLO is facing. Frankly speaking what is your say on buying the car and after-sales services.
Roshan, haven't had any issue so far touch wood. Driven over 8.5 K with just light top up's of Castrol Magnatech Professional. My experience buying and having the car attended to so far has been excellent. High Say Do ratio and good service. So far I am pleased as punch.
Old 14th July 2011, 21:40   #41
BHPian

Re: My observations at 185 Km

[*]I have sometimes noticed that when I start the car, the AC button comes ON on its own despite me having switched it off before I turned off the car. Can anyone confirm if they have had the same experience?

I reckon this is sort of "memorized" by the A/C unit. I had initially set the controls to a particular order. Temperature to the coldest and fan speed to 1 with A/C button on. I had switched off the engine and went away. I came back and changed the settings again. This time I changed it to quarter turn on the temperature button and A/C off with fan speed 1. I noticed when I reset the controls again back to the initial temperature coldest, the A/C button turned on. This is sort of a "discovery". So I felt the unit memorizes the settings.
Old 2nd August 2011, 23:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very soon I am getting a car with your engine but a different body for my wife . Watch this space
Hi NavGin! Did you get the Fabia?

Beat Diesel looks like a good car for the city use... Provided you like it's looks...
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi NavGin! Did you get the Fabia?

Beat Diesel looks like a good car for the city use... Provided you like it's looks...
I did Chethan. We've had the Fabia for close to 2 months now. Very plush ride and also very happy with the way the engine is opening up. Very sturdy for the highway as well.
Old 15th October 2013, 19:17   #44
BHPian

I wanted to complete this thread since I sold the Polo TDI about a month back. My overall experience with the car was fabulous. As you know I have had a Vento and Polo after that but I still feel that the cars that were delivered when the Polo was just rolled out had better parts in it. The suspension was definitely stiffer and there is a marked difference in the spring stiffness and shock absorber quality.

The engine matured substantially over time and returned a healthy 16 km/lt in the city and between 20 and 23 on the highways. The car never let me down and in the close to 3 years of ownership, went to the workshop just twice for service and some spruce up like polishing, repainting of certain scratches. It was mechanically flawless and even at 33,000 kms had the feeling of a brand new suspension.

The drawback of this car was its turbo lag that demanded a lot of gear change within the city. However if one got used to it which I did very easily, it was lovely to drive. Perfect for highway cruising at a steady speed. With a top speed of 170 km/hr, which by the way took a lot of seconds to achieve, it was so stable and planted.

VW Downtown Mumbai as I have always maintained, has been excellent with their sales and service and they really boosted my confidence during my ownership.

All in all from the 3 month wait period to ownership was an absolute delight and I was very sad when we finally decided to let her go. It was unavoidable.

God bless, may you be in safe hands forever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks