Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 17:21   #1
BHPian

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going

After 7 year of the santro, it was time to replace it. My wife likes a small car which she can conveniently drive around Gurgaon and is easy to park. We tried the Figo, the Nissan Micra and the Hyundia i10 and i20. We finally settled for the Beat in mid August 2010. It's been 2 months and we've driven it 2000 kms. Here's a brief report :

a. Overall, we're more than satisfied. The doubts over not having bought the Figo are all gone, the car is excellent.

b. We got the first service done at 1000 kms, the service center is good and they take good care of the car. We have a 3 year 45000 kms zero cost warranty so we're not worried about any costs.

c. The car has been consistently been giving an average of 12 kms with the AC on all the time, I think that's good enough for a 1.2 Ltr engine.

d. While there is a bit of lag in the second gear, the 3rd gear more than makes up for it. The gear ratio of this car is different from the Santro and it took some getting used to but once that's done, it's a very nice ride. I'm now preferring to use the Beat over the Scorrpio that I drive, for all city work (whenever I can lay my hands on it of course !)

e. People complain of boot space being low in the beat. That's only on papers or when you have 4 people sitting in the car. We went to pickup a friend from the airport and took the beat assuming he'll come with small luggage. This guy had 3 suitcases and 2 bags! Half the rear seat in the Beat folds to make more room for bags and what a life saver that was. That many bags wouldn't have fit in a Figo or i10.

f. What I like is the engine compartment, its neat, not a single wire to be seen anywhere and compact. I'm sure the engine will last a long time.

g. We got the LT model but decided not to go for the Option pack. I would have liked the Airbags and ABS but the Alloy's being provided by Chevy are only 4.5J. I wanted to increse the width of the tyres so I need 6J alloys. I've changed the tyres to Yokohama 175/65/14" and put in HRS allyos, the total cost came to about 22k.

h. Strangely, the Beat LT does not have a remote locking system. I've installed a top end Autocop remote system with some sensors etc, cost about 5k. I've also got a AutoCop gear lock in place for Rs. 950.

While at the dealership, I found a Sales Manual for the Beat, when no one was looking, I clicked pictures of it using a mobile, I can't attach it as it's 5 MB, anyone needs it, send me your email ID and I'll mail it.

I like the Chevy Beat and I still get some brownie points from my wife for having got her the car. They're only points,I haven't figured out a way to encash them
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-18082010037.jpg  

Old 29th October 2010, 18:16   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slylenser View Post
We have a 3 year 45000 kms zero cost warranty so we're not worried about any costs.
Oh. This is best part about chevy vehicles now. It is a stress free ownership for 3 long years ! just pay for petrol, tyre and battery. Rest all taken care of.

Happy to know you are a satisfied customer ;-).
Old 29th October 2010, 20:01   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your ride mate! She looks real hot!
Please post more pics of the beauty.
I just love those alloys. They make me think of why i went in for the OEM alloys. (though i have upgraded the tyres to 175).

Happy miles ahead!
Old 29th October 2010, 20:36   #4
BHPian

Congrats slylenser.
Wishing you a wonderful driving experience with your new Beat.
BTW please post more pics especially that alloys.
IMO you can get the ECU re-mapped for better performance. (There is a considerable difference for me after the upgrade. Even FE is also improved in my case.)
Please post the service manual pics also.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

My-O-My , the car looks like a killer .
Seriously man, post some better quality pictures.
And also tell us know about the buying experience and keep us updated .
Congrats man. and here in blore i dont think i have seen any beat in this color.
Take care and drive safe .
Cheers
Old 29th October 2010, 21:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Chevrolet Beat.

The alloy wheels looks so hot! Please do upload high resolution pictures.

Do keep us updated. Always wear your seat-belts.

Amith
Old 30th October 2010, 10:19   #7
BHPian

@Slylenser, good to know that you are another happy customer of the Beat. I have observed in this forum that Beat customers are usually happy with the car. One question though, what is your experience with the seats with respect to comfort ( since they are low slung ). Secondly, do you miss the height adjuster for the driver's seat ?
And yes, is your car in the new 'sanddriftgrey' colour ?
Old 30th October 2010, 10:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
@Slylenser, good to know that you are another One question though, what is your experience with the seats with respect to comfort ( since they are low slung ). Secondly, do you miss the height adjuster for the driver's seat ?
@auto-one,
The front seats are extremely comfortable for me with good lumbar support. Cannot comment about the rear seats though, as i never travelled in them till now.
As for as height adjusters are concerned, Yes! i did miss them the first few weeks after i got the car. I felt sitting too low for good visibility. But now that i have got used to this driving position, its no more a complaint.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:27   #9
BHPian

Beat Seats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
@Slylenser, good to know that you are another happy customer of the Beat. I have observed in this forum that Beat customers are usually happy with the car. One question though, what is your experience with the seats with respect to comfort ( since they are low slung ). Secondly, do you miss the height adjuster for the driver's seat ?
And yes, is your car in the new 'sanddriftgrey' colour ?
Hi !

I think the front seats are very very comfortable. The lumbar support is very nice and long rides are not tiring at all. The legroom in the rear seats and the headrest make it good. I'm sort of tall at 5'11 so I don't need the height adjuster. My wife - whos about 5'4 is pretty comfortable driving the Beat. A height adjuster might have been useful for her but we spent some time deciding on that before buying and her experience was similar in the i10 and figo.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:30   #10
BHPian

Beat Color

The color is Linen Beige , I'll post some good pictures later. The alloys are like a perfect match for the car in terms of design, color etc.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:41   #11
BHPian

Sales Manual - Chevy Beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Congrats slylenser.
Wishing you a wonderful driving experience with your new Beat.
BTW please post more pics especially that alloys.
IMO you can get the ECU re-mapped for better performance. (There is a considerable difference for me after the upgrade. Even FE is also improved in my case.)
Please post the service manual pics also.
Thanks ! It's more of a sales manual, I'm attaching some pages here
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-10.jpg  

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-15.jpg  

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-17.jpg  

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-22.jpg  

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-23.jpg  

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-24.jpg  

Chevy Beat - 2000 kms and going-25.jpg  

Old 1st November 2010, 19:47   #12
BHPian

Download the Chevy Beat sales manual here : http://anil.biz/brochure.pdf

Its nothing great, just explains the features of the car properly.
Old 1st November 2010, 22:53   #13
Joy
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Your car looks awesome.

Me too bought a Chevy Beat LT Cocktail Green in October, 2010. Presently done around 650 Kms.

Will upload my experience once I drove some more Kms. Regarding low slung seat, I also faced some problem initially but now it is ok. I love the overall experience, very refined engine, very low cabin noise, good steering feedback, etc.

Wish you all the best for your new car. Drive safe.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:03   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the car and welcome to the club. The alloys look macho, better pictures would be appreciated.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the manual. Initially I thought you managed to get your hands on the service manual. But anyways, this also makes for interesting reading

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks