Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:27   #1
BHPian

My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)

Dear All,

here is my story of going from petrol to diesel!

i have been driving a palio stile 1.1 SLX for 3 years now. wanted to buy a diesel in the firs place, but palio MJD wasnt available in 2007 oct. so opted for 1.1. some one might ask y 1.1 why not 1.6. its Mileage kitna deta hai thing!

i was very sure that i dont want to buy a maruti/ TATA. was thinking about chevy Uva, and fiat palio. there was no interest shown by the chevy dealer to offer a test drive! also in the amount which i was to pay for Uva low end would get me a high end palio visited couple of dealers, and the sales people were happy to show the car. saw the car in black and fell in love instantly!

so went with the palio stile 1.1 SLX carbon black! good space, awesome looks, amazinf handling, cool AC, it was just a wonderful car except for the power. but most driving was to happen in Bangalore city, it was fine. felt need of power on the highways some time, but was happy overall service was never a concern, in 3 years only the speedo concked off and was replaced during service under warrenty.

few vehicles took liking to my black beauty and kissed it on left and right sides, but i was never inclined to get the dents fixed as they wernt that big and also i was not happy o leave the car behind in the garage for a week! but yes, if the scratches were too visible, i tried to hide them using the com spray paint. exact match and i was happy with the results.

in the mean time, my car usage started increasing from only weekend usage. changed job, and now the office is 40 KM one way! if u miss the company bus, u loose almost half a day, so had to take the car out some times. this started showing its effects on my wallet, my monthly expenses also started increasing steadly.

thats when i started to look out for a second hand diesel. wanted to go for punto, but it was going out of budget.chanced up on a black SDX done 28k on one Saturday, wanted to checkout loan availability on Monday. when i open the PUG mails i see the car already been picked by another PUGger karthik. (he's selling it as he's getting his brand new MJD)
at the same time came across another SDX, M.grey, 35k on the odo. spoke to the person selling it and he quoted 4.2L!!!

he demanded that price as he's maintained the car very well, has got alloy wheel with stock tyres, rear spoiler, sun film, Panasonic music system with 4 speakers and he never let a niggle stay on in the car. i was definetly not in mood to pay 4.2L for that car which had 35K on the odo.

so for few days, my search stopped, but after almost a month, the guy who quoed called back again and said now he's quoting 3.8L. so went n checked out the car, like it and negotiated the price to 3.65L finally. considering karthik is also selling his car 29k done SDX for 3.65L i feel its fair price. some how things fell in place and i even got a loan.

but now i had to sell my black beauty at the earliest as i couldnt afford paying 2 EMI's every month.

put up an ad and received responses with in 4 hours of posting the ad. few people saw the car and they were happy with the running and over all condition of the car.
one gentleman, came saw the car and offered 2L (i had quoted 2.55 nego). when i declined the offer. couple of others also saw the car and they even went to the extent of quoting as low was 1.75L that includes the toyota used car guys!

another gentleman, came with his friend and did the test drive. after a lengthy discussion, they quoted 2L, when i said it does not work out, they increased it to 2.05 and then to 2.1L. i just said not possible and said i might relent on 2.3L. in the mean time the first gentleman, who had also quoted 2L, called and said ok i'l but it for 2.3 L. he promised to transfer some token amount the next day, the next day he texted me to ask my account no. but there was no confirmation of him doing any money transfer to me. tried reaching him, no answer! i had not shown the car to other thinking he will anyways pick it. next day he mailed to say he cant pay more than 2L.

went to sleep with little apprehension about what was happening with my car's sale. the second gentleman called and said il increase my offer, u reduce a bit, but i said 2.3L take it or leave it and we struck a deal. he gave a token advance and in the next couple of days transfered amount to close my car loan. in turn i promised him to get the car serviced and try n fix the dents in insurance.he will take the car on 9th as he's in his native for the Diwali.

in the mean time, i got my loan amount and paid the complete amount to the guy selling his SDX. got the car yesterday morning! so right now i have 2 palio's parked in my garage and i am so very happy to have them both! but any given day i would go with the black color on my palio!

first impression: its a pocket rocket! coming after driving 1.1 for 3 years this car definitely feels fast. the mileage has been claimed as 20KMPL in Bangalore city, but i estimate it to be around 16-17KMPL in Bangalore. and more then 21KMPL on the highways.

cheers
vasanth

PS: In the mean time, i had managed to convince my brother-in-law to go for a palio MJD and he's happy driving around in his SD for past couple of years.and says he will only stick to fiat
Attached Thumbnails
My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-p1050819.jpg  

My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-p1050820.jpg  

My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-p1050821.jpg  

My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-p1050823.jpg  

My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-p1050825.jpg  

My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-p1050826.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2010, 23:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your pre-worshiped Fiat Palio Mutlijet.

It's no wonder that you ended up buying another Fiat. Once a FIATian always a FIATian

Needless to say that your Fiat Palio looks fabulous with those alloys and vinyl films on the B-Pillar.

Few points :

- The rear wiper looks a bit mis-aligned. Please do get it rectified when you visit the service centre next time.

- The reflector on the RHS of the rear bumper is missing.

Please do keep us updated. I'm hopefully looking forward for a detailed review with more pics(especially interiors).

Always make sure that you wear the seatbelt while driving. Drive safe and have fun.

Amith
Old 4th November 2010, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Vasanth.
It looks like a very well maintained car, and car looks beautifull with those alloys and vinly work .
Congrats once again and keep us all posted .
Bdw how old is the car, i mean which year make.
Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 4th November 2010 at 11:15.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car buddy

The alloys complement the color of the car. One of the better looking ones I have come across.

Drive Safe.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:35   #5
BANNED

Congrats Vasanth!

Karthik's Palio too is sold now! He is getting a new Palio next week.

There is helluva demand for Palio MJD these days!
Old 4th November 2010, 11:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Did any one miss the Rear Spoiler - Total Drool maal Love it.

How did you manage fixing the Spoiler in a Stile`?
Old 4th November 2010, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Congratulations. Looks like a very well maintained car. MJD is a fantastic engine and fitted in a Palio chasis is the icing on the cake. Enjoy your ride.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:20   #8
BHPian

Congrats for the car and lovely pics vasanth, looks like a well maintained car. do post the interior pics and intial ownership report
Old 4th November 2010, 15:42   #9
BHPian

great car.missed my chance of getting one in the dhamaka offer.my bad.now i ve got the Figo D and a Punto.MJD is an engine which no other diesel engine can match.BTW if i were you i would get 175/65/14 or 195/60/14 tyres with 14 inch alloys.the car would look hot.also get those small scratches on the bumpers touched up.Remove the vinyl on the pillars.make it only on the b pillars as in the GTX,remove the other portions.i am attaching what i had in my siena.If you need some help in sourcing alloys,pm me.be it OE or aftermarket.congrats once again.i envy you.
Attached Thumbnails
My Story of Going from Petrol (Palio 1.1) to Diesel (Palio MJD)-img_0154.jpg  

Old 4th November 2010, 17:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
great car.missed my chance of getting one in the dhamaka offer.my bad.now i ve got the Figo D and a Punto.MJD is an engine which no other diesel engine can match.BTW if i were you i would get 175/65/14 or 195/60/14 tyres with 14 inch alloys.the car would look hot.also get those small scratches on the bumpers touched up.Remove the vinyl on the pillars.make it only on the b pillars as in the GTX,remove the other portions.i am attaching what i had in my siena.If you need some help in sourcing alloys,pm me.be it OE or aftermarket.congrats once again.i envy you.
I feel his ride already have a very good set of wheels and might only need a rubber upgrade/change.
IMO , those vinyl's are making the car look pretty sporty, so if i were you, would have kept them for sometime and then decide.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2010, 11:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the pre worshipped Palio. The Grey MJD with the alloys and spoiler looks lovely. Get the michelin XM1+ on to give it better looking wheels.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the car.
Old 5th November 2010, 21:06   #12
BHPian

Hey congrats buddy!
The car looks excellent man!
Old 5th November 2010, 22:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Its a great car. Do update us on the F.E you are getting.

The front bumper work is good. But personally i did not like that black around the headlights. I think those headlights look pretty awesome without those borders
Old 8th November 2010, 14:28   #14
BHPian

Thank you all

Folks,

sorry for late reply and thank you for your wishes and suggestions!

initial drive experience: its a pocket rocket! as i have mentioned, coming from a palio stile 1.1, this car is fast!

as i still have to hand over my 1.1, i happened to drive it for few KM's and man, i was already feeling, why my beloved black beauty isnt pulling!

over taking now is no more a problem, just push the accelerator pedal and am zooming past other vehicles!

the noise seems to be on the higher side compared to 1.1, but that is expected with the diesel mill under the hood.

so far i haven't had the chance to fill up the tank fully, so will keep you all posted on the mileage figures.

the rubber in the tyre seems good for another 5-8k, so will definitely look for tyres which would go with those amazing alloys!

the previous owner has maintained the car in pretty good condition since he brought it in 2008 and had clocked 35k KM's.

By the way, the previous owner got himself a Punto 90 HP last saturday.

cheers
vasanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks