Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2010, 00:14   #1

Volkswagen Vento Highline TDI : Ownership review

Guyz, I've been off the thread for a while. In the meanwhile, whats been keeping me off was 'DA VENTO'. Anyway, let me post my dig with Volkswagen and Vento.

Stage One - Research :
My search for a new vehicle began an year ago, and none of the existing cars like the Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta, Fiat Linea, Honda City or Maruti Suzuki SX4 seemed to fit my liking. Although I was inclined towards a Honda City, the thought of a petrol engine put me off. I ride around 60,000 kms a year and petrol does not help me keep my costs in check. Thats when Volkswagen announced the Vento. I immediately got on to Team-Bhp and went through all the material that was put up on it regarding the Vento and had totally fallen for it. The next day I paid the advance. Later on, our man GTO came up with an awesome review about the car and that sealed the deal for me even without a glance at the original car or for that matter a test drive !.

Stage Two - Booking & Delivery :
During the third week of July, I made a priority booking and paid an advance amount of Rs. 1,00,000/- to EVM Volkswagen, the dealer at Cochin. I had opted for a white Highline Tdi (Diesel). I was promised delivery by the end of September. The promised delivery date did not materialize and the dealer did not even bother to get back to me regarding a changed delivery date. Anyway, I did not do anything about it and waited for two more weeks. On 20th October my patience finally ran out and I started pulling up a few strings. The dealer happened to be a close acquittance of mine. I did not want to take undue advantage of my familiarity with the dealer, hence I had not asked for any favors from him earlier during the booking stage. Since, I was one of the first to book the vehicle and I was not getting any responses from the sales team, I got in touch with the Director and voila things got moving. Within an hour, the sales guy calls up and tells me that I would be getting my car in 10 days time. I got the car delivered on 4th November,2010 a day before Diwali.

Stage Three - The Feel :
The car had all that I was looking for. The built quality was extremely good, the power was satisfying and the handling, smooth. My first impression of the car was that it is a bit small, width-wise, when you compare with cars in the same category. Leg space is more than adequate in front as well as at the back. No fancy features are available on the car, like Bluetooth, USB, steering mounted controls etc., but what is there is 'Class'. The buttons, switches and handles are true quality and built to last. The seats are light beige in color and look good, but then prone to getting dirty quite easily. I found the front seats quite snug fit and to my liking, but i feel it could be a bit narrow for broad or well 'rounded' people and they could find it a bit cramped. the back seats are well put together. The seat recline is a bit up-straight, but then gives good back support. Seating three adults at the back could be a problem because of the huge central hump and like I mentioned earlier, smaller width of the car. The rear AC vent is a brilliant addition and chills the rear passengers in double quick time. The music system is average, but good enough for me. I had just added mud flaps and floor mats as accessories. Nothing more. Somehow, I like my cars to be stock.

Stage Four - The Drive :
Since getting the car I have done around 2000 kms. On the highway, it is a beauty !. It takes off smoothly and glides past other vehicles on the top gear without as much as an effort. Power is truly linear. In bumper to bumper traffic as well, it is smooth. It is on bad roads (really bad roads) that I found that the vehicle is a bit bumpy. It could have been because of the high tyre pressure that the company put in the tyres (36 psi - stock on the 185/60 ). Anyways, today i got it down to 29 psi and will check out if it is any better. On the handling part, initially i felt the steering was a bit light, but then, the more i drove, I began to get a feel of it and now i feel it is just apt for my liking. It just takes a bit of getting used to it. the car handles good - nothing exceptional nor nothing average. The horn sounds very elegant and loud. The doors shut with a strong thud. The car is definitely well made and you will feel it as well. The gear shift is smooth. Overall the drive is very satisfying !.

Final Stage - The verdict :
Good Bits :
- Solid built quality.
- Refined and powerful engine.
- Ample leg space at the rear.
- Rear AC vents.
- Large boot space.
- Good fuel efficiency. (I returned 17.5 km/ltr on 40% city-60% highway and 15 km/ltr on hill-roads).

Bad Bits :
- Road presence is not that great.
- The mud flaps are very long and low slung hence tend to scrape the road even on small humps, but then, vehicle ground clearance is good.
- Rear view is a bit hampered by high boot and rather small rear view mirror.
- The engine is a bit noisy at the start, but does smoothen down after its been run in.
- The locking mechanism is a head scratcher - still trying to figure out !.
- The front centre arm rest tend to get in the way of the hand brake - needs getting used to.
- The Multi Information Display is quite complicated too - shows too many figures.

Overall, I am Happy with my Volkswagen Vento. It definitely puts a smile on my face every time i ride it.
ASTRIKX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2010, 09:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRIKX View Post
Guyz, I've been off the thread for a while. In the meanwhile, whats been keeping me off was 'DA VENTO'. Anyway, let me post my dig with Volkswagen and Vento.
Congratulations on getting your most coveted car. Your first impressions of the car shared here on TBHP a whole 20 days after you got your hands on it goes to show that you have been enjoying your ride all this while. Please do share a lot of pictures (interior & exterior), by starting your ownership thread. Also please do advise all those "not-so-fortunate" souls out here who have been waiting endlessly to get the first glimpse of their Vento.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Overall, I am Happy with my Volkswagen Vento. It definitely puts a smile on my face every time i ride it.
Well that's good to know. It's a little distressing however that VW doesn't seem to respond unless provoked . I think I need to start pulling some strings soon!
Please post pics!
Old 24th November 2010, 09:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats buddy. Glad to hear that.
Sad part is that I booked from the same dealer almost at the same time but I still dont have my car

Please post the pics.
Old 24th November 2010, 10:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Vento. Nicely documented there. Do post the pictures of the car.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the Vento.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:15   #6
BHPian

How about a few pics and your experience from last one week?? All are waiting
Old 25th February 2011, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento Highline TDI : Ownership review

Congrats ASTRIKX !!
Vento is filling the gap in competition this segment had. But VW have missed out on few small details like fabric inserts on the door trim, dead pedal for the clutch - which would definitely add value & comfort without increasing their manufacturing costs.
Old 28th February 2011, 19:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your buy Astrixx! Vento will suit your needs well.

Now, while going through your post I noticed that you mentioned 60000 kms per year! Now thats like 5000kms per month > average of 166kms per day! How do you end up with driving so much?
Old 28th February 2011, 21:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

That is some straight forward unbiased review.
Congratulations on your new car.
I very much agree to what you liked or disliked.
+1 I found the gearbox extremely satisfying to work with.

If you believe car is all bout the powertrain (Engine+gearbox) and handling (Chasis + tyres +brakes) Vento is the best choice in the 10L bracket.

As for Vento TDI, if you take out the powertrain, it becomes a very average and ordinary car. The engine and gearbox is reason enough for anyone to buy this m/c.
Old 28th February 2011, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Congratulation ASTRIKX on your VW Vento.

Your narration was excellent and it seems most of the customer who have booked Vento have delivery woos. Bad part on VW, incompetent planning.

Please post some pictures
Old 20th April 2011, 15:01   #11

Last week it rained (off season) at Gurgaon. This was the first rain after I bought Vento HL. The cabin was sounding as if rain falling on Tin roof. It was so noisy. Lot of echo as well. Me and spouse were really amazed on this level of noise, since even our Corsa & Getz never gave us such feel.
Wondering, if the VW forgot to stuff-in the heat / noise insulation between the metal top and inner roof.

Is it possible to get some insulation stuffed in the roof ?
Old 20th April 2011, 20:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jain_sanjayp View Post
Last week it rained (off season) at Gurgaon. This was the first rain after I bought Vento HL. The cabin was sounding as if rain falling on Tin roof. It was so noisy. Lot of echo as well. Me and spouse were really amazed on this level of noise, since even our Corsa & Getz never gave us such feel.
Wondering, if the VW forgot to stuff-in the heat / noise insulation between the metal top and inner roof.

Is it possible to get some insulation stuffed in the roof ?
It's strange to hear this comment since I have been using Vento for almost 6 months now and have driven during the rains. I havent actually experienced any sounds.

It's possible to insulate the roof but havent seen anyone with it. You can consult with your dealer and ask the reason for this loud noise. There will be something wrong with it.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:16   #13
BHPian

A question to ppl who have already received the Vento. What is the exact meaning of allotment ? I visited the local VW dealer with whom I have booked and he told me allotment would happen by 1st week of May. So does this mean car is tagged to my name and production starts ? Or car rolls of the assembly line and then is tagged ?
Also after allotment how many days to get my hands on the vehicle ??
Old 25th April 2011, 12:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ambivalent_98, Allotment would mean it will ready at the plant on that date. Add some days for delivery (~1 week max)

@naveen_raju, With heavy rains in Bengaluru last few days, I have to agree that it does sound a lot though the sound is not tinny. There is a fair amount of free space between the roof upholstery and the roof itself which might be causing this.

Last edited by srishiva : 25th April 2011 at 12:57.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@ambi- allottment means the car is tagged with you as the owner. The chassis & engine number combination is allotted to you and a file is created with the dealer in your name. Dealers say around 5 weeks between allottment and delivery but since you are Pune based, should be less, around 1-2 weeks. My own AT as produced on 5th Jan, allotted on the 10th and delivered on 22nd Jan. All the best!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks