Team-BHP - My Fiery Black Scorpio SLE. 1year update @ 22,000kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My Fiery Black Scorpio SLE. 1year update @ 22,000kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/94380-my-fiery-black-scorpio-sle-1year-update-22-000kms.html)

Before i start , a special word of Thanks for GetSurya a.k.a Srikanth for helping me with his contacts that enabled me to get a better deal and finally swing the decision to go for Scorpio now . The best part is we have never met till date and have spoken only once before over phone , TBHP rocks :thumbs up .

We had a good and memorable time with our first car a pre-owned Getz ,july'06 GLE model. We clocked 38k kms in three years . It is a good city and highway car ,however whenever we had to visit our farms the underbelly used to get scrapped and age was showing on the car . during last service at 62k hyundai guys advised me to change the suspension / clutch / exhaust pipe which had been rusted . Total cost was working to around rs.30-35k , adding to this was ever raising fuel cost ,during our last visit to chennai in Sep'10 we spent 9k only on fuel and this got me thinking to change for a diesel car + good ground clearance .

l

We are a family of 4 and wanted a Car with good ground clearance ,diesel and comfortable milecruncher .I started looking for good used Fusion TDci due to its ground clearance without any luck for 3 months . Meanwhile used to go thru all scorpio & safari thread to understand pros & cons ,Shankar Balan,diwakar's & anjan's ownership threads added further fuel and finally decided to settle for scorpio ,surprising everyone at home also liked scorpio better than safari.

Having mentally decided to go for scorpio , went to the showroom to check the vehicle it was a disaster , nobody bothered to acknowledge and came forward to speak , i took the price list and left the place.

Another major obstacle was the price , i had a budget of 9-9.5 lacs max ,Lx was 10lacs on road,SLE - 11.4 lacs and no discounts were offered .I had decided to postpone the purchase by another 2-3 yrs and decided to spent money on my GETZ to put her in good shape .

On Dec 2nd on my way back from office saw a banner at the showroom with yearend discount , next day went to the showroom to checkout the new onroad price after discount .did a through cost comparison of keeping the Getz viz New Scorpio keeping in mind cost of ownership,resale value,maintenance,fuel bills and extended ownership of new car. Luckily this time around they had more discount of upto 50k and i was offered SLE at 10.08lacs without any fuss over accs etc.

Took a test drive with my family , my little son was overjoyed that we would be buying a bigger car than his friends.The next 2-3 days passed with showroom guys trying to get a better rate for my car . The quotes varied from 1.25 lacs to 1.6 lacs , i was pretty sure that i will not xchange below 2-2.25 lacs or will wait till i sell the car at my terms. That entire night i could not sleep and was pondering over various options .I wanted to speak with GetSurya to get a view on ownership and cost involved ect. as destiny would be Getsurya calls me up at 8.30am for somethings else and during our conversation i mentioned that i am planning to buying a scorpio .He immediately offered to help me with better price once i have finally made a decision.

Again after thinking over for 2 days i called him around 12 and informed of my firm decision and he helped me with the contact number / name .I reach the showroom at 4pm Getsurya had already spoken to his contact,and introduced myself to the refered person this time around reception was very warm and cordial . I was straight away offered substantial discount and he also gave me a tentative quote of 2.2 lacs pending final valuation for my Getz. By 6pm there was a guy at my residence to check my car and the next date the deal was done for 2.1 lacs inclusive of 5k exchange bonus .Even SBI car loan was processed in 2 days flat and cheques issued on 3rd day . I booked for Fiery black SLE 7 seater. First Impression even though car is very big it is an ergonomic disaster , space utilization is very poor.I guess a small compromise when you make decision with your heart :).

Today went to the showroom and saw my car for the first time there he was gleaming , done with the PDI and was informed that vehicle from latest lot is alloted and is only 7 days old from manufacturing .

Sorry could not click any pics , but will post without fail , delivery is scheduled for Friday morning , just could not resist riding the beast.

Took delivery of my car today morning , also got a good deal on O.E. alloy ( set of 4 for 15500 ,including chrome wheelnuts , balancing ).

will just post couple of pictures of delivery and update rest by evening ,back in office after delivery .

Congrats on the butch scorpio ,Arjuna.I love black scorpio but the new dual tone treatment is not in my cup of tea.Nice review.Any plans for alloy wheels?
Drive safe and wear seat belts.
Happy new year 2011
Cheers
Sreehari

Took delivery on 31st morning , after receiving the keys and other formalities i had to rush to office ,my wife and kids took the scorp home along with showroom driver . Rushed home around 6 pm and took the car for Pooja .

Have driven around 210 kms since friday most in city.
My initial observation :Areas which could improve :Still trying to learn driving this beast, am sure am definitely going to enjoy this beast more i get comfortable with the car . Planning of long drives after completing registration .

Accessories :
Have changed to O.E. alloys of Aura 5 spoke design,retained O.E. Apollo Hawkz . Planning to fit leather seats stanley or Karlsons. Basic ICE , reverse camera .

Congrats on owning the segment leader buddy. Drive Safe and Happy Motoring.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Hi RM,

Congratulations for the Beast! Good to see you, your family and the car! Seems that your kids are the happiest of the lot!

Happy Motoring! Get used to driving the beast!clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 2196381)
Areas which could improve :
  • Ergonomics - still not very comfortable like a sedan ,getting used to high seating and bit of swaying or pitching forward .
  • Space utilization - very poor designing and space planning for storing utilities . They should have made sure that atleast toolkit is fitted like in sedan / hatches . Stepney placement is very wierd , i feel it would have looked better if mounted on the door like other SUV's.
  • Glove box is very small , no place to stow sunglass,inspite of lots of space below steering colunm it is not properly used for any storeage . I think Getz was better placed in this department .
  • Lots of exposed wires around and below drivers seat , i see some sort of panel with wires connected , could not relate immediately any pointers of its purpose .
  • connecting Wires exposed for rear Demister, if by mistake anyone sitting at rear seat knocks it off , it is sure to go kaput .
Accessories :
Have changed to O.E. alloys of Aura 5 spoke design,retained O.E. Apollo Hawkz . Planning to fit leather seats stanley or Karlsons. Basic ICE , reverse camera .

Congrats on your new purchase. Nice pictures too. Some comments:
1. Body Roll and Swaying have become slightly better, but you'll have to get used to it.
2. Stepney placement has a reason. If it is fixed on the tail gate, it adds to the stress on the door hinges, eventually causing some rattling issues. I agree that the current placement of the stepney makes it difficult to operate but it is a trade-off.
3. Interiors and Finishing leave a lot to be desired, for the price you are paying, but the vehicle is fundamentally, very well built and has a great heart. So, it's perhaps a small compromise to make.
4. Is your warranty intact after the OE Alloys being replaced?

Many congrats on your purchase. Welcome to the scorpio club. I am also a proud owner of a black LX for the past 4 months and the experience has been very good to say.

As you get used to the gear shifts and complete flooring of the clutch, you will start to enjoy the beast. Just take it to the highway and floor the pedal at 100kmph it will be a very good experience

All the very best for your car and a very happy new year 2011 to the TBHP brethern

A hearty congratulations on your purchase! the scorpio is indeed a great vfm car. Its not the segment leader just like that! The gearshift needs some getting used to specially since you owned a petrol car. All the best. Take care of your beast and do keep us updated with the pictures and your ownership experience.
Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shk 8896 (Post 2192733)
Any plans for alloy wheels?

He has mentioned in his first post that he got a deal on OE alloys for 15.5 K :)

Sorry for not updating the thread ,lots of travel due to work .Have managed to drive only around 650kms till date of which 300 kms was on highways this weekend . I am just in love with the car the more i drive it around . Amazed with the linear power delivery , overtaking is not a pain unlike my getz , power is available in every gear at the slightest tap of throttle . Actually i am finding it difficult to keep the car below 80-90kmph and below 2kRPM band in highwyas . It is really a beast waiting to be unleashed . Will somehow complete 1k running in before this weekend so that i could push further .

Only grouse being boat like oscillation .

Couple of Querries / observation.

a) i hear a feeble whistle kind of noise above 30kmph speed . any pointers !
b) before switching off the engine i idle for around a minute ,there is a strong jerking motion when the engine is switched off . Is this normal or should i check !
c) Hear a small Thud on the driver side from the front suspension when i drive over speedbreakers / small potholes little faster .
d) some how i have a wierd feeling that the car is little tilled downward at passenger side , while none of my friends have no such thought and feel the car is perfectly balanced . Maybe am getting too paranoid :eek: .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 2207175)
Only grouse being boat like oscillation .

Couple of Querries / observation.

b) before switching off the engine i idle for around a minute ,there is a strong jerking motion when the engine is switched off . Is this normal or should i check !
c) Hear a small Thud on the driver side from the front suspension when i drive over speedbreakers / small potholes little faster .

Could be turbo whistle, what is the rpm at which it happens?

A jerk is normal, how big is the jerk is something that has to been to be gauged.

Again, how small is the thud? Get your truck inspected by someone close by. This should give you a better idea.

Turbo kicking in, did you notice the RPM when this sound starts ?
Normal in most of the diesel vehicles of this class
c) Hear a small Thud on the driver side from the front suspension when i drive over speedbreakers / small potholes little faster.
d) some how i have a wierd feeling that the car is little tilled downward at passenger side , while none of my friends have no such thought and feel
the car is perfectly balanced . Maybe am getting too paranoid :eek: .
Not sure about the last 2 points, have it checked with the A.S.S guys. Do not delay.

@MODS: My answers are similar to Dev's. Please feel free to delete my post as am unable to delete it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm_arjuna (Post 2207175)
d) some how i have a wierd feeling that the car is little tilled downward at passenger side , while none of my friends have no such thought and feel the car is perfectly balanced . Maybe am getting too paranoid :eek: .

If you have a Nokia phone, do download this app, park your car on level ground and clear you doubts !

@arjuna:

Not sure if you are doing this already, but it always helps to have your clutch pedal pressed when starting/stopping the engine, even when you are in neutral gear. This way there is less strain on the starter as it doesn't have the added burden of turning the clutch, etc. Also it helps bring down the stop shudder little bit as the gearbox is completely disconnected from the engine allowing it to shut down more smoothly.