Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 14:54   #1
BANNED

Contemplation Concluded – With TATA Safari Winning the battle over famous Scorpio

Keep the story in short
Like many others I had a long pending decision between the Scorpio MHawk or Safari Dicor. Visited the Mahindra and TATA showrooms multiple times and taken few test drives.
Finally Safari emerged as clear winner with below observations. It’s purely my personal opinion hence no offence please.

Some of my observations on Safari Vs Scorpio:
  • Both have good street credibility
  • Scorpio front is bit more aggressive but the rear looks boxy
  • Scorpio is large and Safari is definitely XL
  • I’m tall and found cramped, difficult in Scorpio even with various seat adjustments. With Safari absolutely no issues with ample space
  • Quality of material used in both are average, I feel Safari is slightly better
  • Door latches in Scorpio has been upgraded & look flimsy
  • Mahindra stopped offering alloy wheel for Stepney even the sales person did not know till he checks few VLX. Cost cutting may be !!!
  • Scorpio offers good features like rain sensing wipers, dark sensing lights, Bluetooth etc
  • Safari offers hydraulic struts for bonnet and rear door open/close, it’s nice and easy to use
  • Performances of both are almost in the same league
  • Both are fine till 80km/hr after it needs little more attention
  • Safari’s turning radius is more than Scorpio but the challenges are same for both when U turning
  • Mahindra offers approx 25K( 50% Insurance + 10K Xchange Bonus)
  • Got good offer for Safari
Deciding factors:
Vitamin M: 10L(Managed to get the loan)
Space: Scorpio is a Shark and Safari is a whale. Safari scores high
Performance: pretty similar
Value for money: I found Safari GX make sense to go ahead with booking

When it comes to SUV where Size and Space does matter a lot, Safari is the one for me

Rating Table (Scale 1-3; 1-Average; 2-Good; 3-Better) Safari GX Vs Scorpio VLX

AspectSafari Scorpio Remarks
Looks 3 2 Safari is big with no boxy rear; It started showing the age but still look gorgeous. Scorpio has huge gap in rear wheel arches and does not look good to me.
Engine 2 2 Scorpio has the edge with lesser weight and Turbo whistle is a nice note
Gear Box 1 1 Both are bit hard to operate but Scorpio gear lever vibrates a lot
Features 2 3 Scorpio has air bags, rain sensing wipers, dark sensing lights, Bluetooth etc, Both have ABS
Performance 2 2 I felt both are pretty similar
Ride & Handling 2 2 Ride is good & potholes are no matter but both rocks like a boat when cornering @ speed
Space 3 2 Many of us are aware
Value for Money 2 2 Both are good value for money in their own respects
Family Recommendation 3 2 My family members voted for Safari
Customer care 3 2 Scorpio sells like hot cakes and could see that gets reflected with Mahindra sales team

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2011 at 19:17. Reason: Please contact mod team when you are ready with further updates and initial impressions. Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 17:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Contemplation Concluded – With TATA Safari Winning the battle over famous Scorpio

Congrats!!

Please post the pictures! have you taken the vehicle delivery?
Old 4th January 2011, 17:38   #3
BHPian

Re: Contemplation Concluded – With TATA Safari Winning the battle over famous Scorpio

Happy to see yet another bite the bullet. Hearty Congrats and welcome to club. So whats the deal? Did you get a good december offer?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks