Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 14:56   #16
BANNED

Re: The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.

Now thats indeed a detailed ownership thread. Very nicely written. And i too am not in favour of the bullbar. It definitely does not look good on the xylo.
So whats your take on the driving and ride quality of the car?
Old 11th January 2011, 15:29   #17
BHPian

That was a crisp and apt review pointing pros and cons of the car.Anyway a sensible buy dude.Congrats once again
Old 11th January 2011, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the interest guys.
@VW2010: It's interesting , the observation you made regarding bad road comfort. Even i feel that the Xylo would have more suspension travel than the innova. Though I haven't been in the sumo, Compared to cars you feel really secure on the Xylo.

@beejay: The OTR price is 9,00,000. Now the ICE is not included, which may be a good thing! There is no voice assist, No ABS option, and the DDAS does not have compass, and no alloys.

@MMxylorider: We chose the E6 because it was sweet on the pocket. The E8 was a little bit of a stretch. But I agree that the E8 is the package to go for atleast for the ABS. The other reason was, my family did not really like the looks of the Xylos on the roads. It was my persuasion that got them to the showroom. There they saw the Black and grey vehicle with the ski racks and were pleasantly surprised that the car was quite handsome. Then we asked the salesman for the E8 with the same schema, and the reply was negative. The E6 being more pocket friendly and looking quite good resulted in an impulsive if not very prudent decision.
Old 12th January 2011, 10:43   #19
BHPian

Drive

Ergonomics and driving position: Good, with no complaints here.The commanding view and the lofty perch make you feel like Zues!

The gearshift does not fall to the hand easily in 3rd and 4th if the armrest is not inclined downwards. The wiper and light stalks fall easily to hand and are of good quality.

The DDAS is a boon in that it shows which gear you are on and a bold display of your speed.I say this is important because the position of the gear stalk is not vertical and sometimes you don't know which gear you are on, if you know what i mean. Another window shows trip and distance to empty.Yet another window shows average speed and average mileage.

Performance: I currently drive the hyundai verna Crdi, i20 crdi and the swift Ddis. So I benchmark the Muv against these engines.

I must say that the low end power delivery is very satisfactory. The vehicle takes off from standatill on steep inclines with ease. similar to the swift and the verna and way better than the i20 which has an extremely weak low end.

The midrange is nice and torquey. Not shattering like the verna, or nippy and agile like the i20, but broad and robust like the swift.

The high end power deliver is again like the swift. At 120 you feel that the engine is leaving the comfort zone, and may be good for another 30kph but with effort. After the run in she may breathe a little easier, i dunno.

In a nutshell, she is no scorcher like the verna or more recently, the vento (unfair to ask this of her too), But she certainly is sprightly and will not leave you asking for more. The performance, swift owners will be able to identify with.

Overtaking is to be planned a little, but this i think is more to do with her dimensions than the lack of power on tap.
Old 12th January 2011, 16:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pieces of information! I love this thread - keep it coming!
Many Thanks!!

I guess I am begining to admire the Xylo now?
Old 12th January 2011, 19:45   #21
BHPian

Ride

The Xylo rides decidedly better on bad tarmac, than any other car in it's price bracket or one segment above. The famous boat like pitching of the xylo is present over undulations on an unbroken road at speeds of 80kph or thereabouts. But for the passengers it's more like travelling on those Volvo B7Rs at high speeds. Only the hissing of the pneumatic suspension is absent. The 3rd rowers may get tossed around a bit more I guess.

Handling

I will start with a disclaimer.
I do speeds of around 100-130 kph, and speeds upto 150 kph only on super straight, super secluded four lane interstates. Maybe that is sedate, or may be not. I don't know.

Maybe the hyundai's I drive or not great handlers themselves and I am used to them.

Maybe you get used to a car's dynamics after a short while.

Maybe I was driving with a full load of passengers.

Maybe you forgive your new baby easily and look beyond the negatives

I am being so cautious because I am about to say that the Xylo's handling was not all that terrible as i feared. And yeah, I invite feedback from all other members who have driven the xylo regarding this and would like to know if they were surprised positively or negatively by the xylo's ride. Also i would like members to discuss here when she will throw up nasty surprises and behave in unexpected ways. I still have a niggling feeling that somehow I've got this wrong, considering everybody criticizes the xylo's handling.

Let me plough on. I did speeds upto 120kph on the interstate and hovered at 90 on well laid state roads with some twistys. On the hills of course, you can't take any car above 60, and on bad tarmac it was 40-60. My weekend trip threw up all these roads in equal measure.

Initially i could feel the mass and height of the vehicle and was hesitant to stomp the gas pedal. But a little distance later i was more comfortable and found her to be well behaved. During overtaking though, shooting past vehicles and slipping into narrow gaps is inviting trouble. the vehicles dynamics will not lend itself to these antics, not that they are very safe in the first place. On the hills too bends have to be taken a wee bit maturely. Not your hot hatch this! but the vehicle's approach speed at bends can be determined, since you are perched high and are always aware of the high CG.
One can't fight with the laws of physics. More Comfort = larger and taller vehicle = more poised driving style.

The overtly soft suspension setup being a nightmare to handle, well, i didn't encounter that much. Only in one place. On bridges when there are equally spaced expansion joints the tarmac gradually rises to the joint and dips and rises for the next one. a wavy surface. I approached on such bridge at high speeds. Here she pranced about like a cheerleader. But that is that.

Sorry if i was rambling a little bit in this last post. But i am still trying to figure out if the handling is decent or if i am seriously missing something here. Debates welcome.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Is that an umbrella below the driver's seat? Isn't it dangerous to keep anything there (as it may roll and settle under the pedals)
It was not meant to be there. You are right to be concerned. Even by mistake, as in this case, items that can move about should not be left in the footwell.
Old 14th January 2011, 12:56   #23
BHPian

Hi,
Congrats on the new buy. I too own Xylo E8. The ski rails look good on your vehicle which is lacking in E8. I tried to get it done but few of other owners warned me against it as if its not done properly you might have a leaky roof. The dual shade is also nice.
Regarding handling. I dont exceed 100 to 120 even on very good highways and will never take any turns at higher speed. Though body roll is evidently more than innova its not all that bad provided you dont test it in the bends.
I am surprised the cost for E6 is 9lakhs. I got my E8 a year back for less than 9lakhs.
Cheers.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:01   #24
BHPian

igp_79, Congarts on the buy. Nice set of pictures with lot of information.If it is registered in ooty, I would like to know the breakup of the OTR price you mentioned. As I am looking to book one in Coimbatore for my dad in couple of months and hope there will be no big difference in OTR price between coimbatore and ooty.
I did a TD of E6 last Sunday and I literally loved the ride and handle. Though the exterior looks are not that great, it has lots of good features inside and under the hood. Please share the FE details also as the sales guy pointed that though it being 2.5 M_eagle powered it gives good FE than a 2.2 mhawk powered scorp.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:32   #25
BHPian

[quote=drrajasaravanan;2209420
Regarding handling. I dont exceed 100 to 120 even on very good highways and will never take any turns at higher speed. Though body roll is evidently more than innova its not all that bad provided you dont test it in the bends.[/QUOTE]

You are right. These cars should never be looked at as performance machines or drivers cars. They are mile crunchers that take a large family over long distances. A powerful engine to avoid embarrassment during overtaking. and decent road manners when kept within cruising limits is all one should ask for.
Old 14th January 2011, 19:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Igp on the new acquistion. The surroundings that you have chosen for taking the exterior snaps is amazing. Xylo belnds in perfectly.

I am not really in favour of the bull bars, but in your snaps it actually doesn't look all that bad.

Cheers,
Amit
Old 15th January 2011, 11:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
igp_79, Congarts on the buy. Nice set of pictures with lot of information.If it is registered in ooty, I would like to know the breakup of the OTR price you mentioned. As I am looking to book one in Coimbatore for my dad in couple of months and hope there will be no big difference in OTR price between coimbatore and ooty.
I did a TD of E6 last Sunday and I literally loved the ride and handle. Though the exterior looks are not that great, it has lots of good features inside and under the hood. Please share the FE details also as the sales guy pointed that though it being 2.5 M_eagle powered it gives good FE than a 2.2 mhawk powered scorp.
The ex showroom price of the E6 BS3: 7,88,353
Temporary registration 4,000
Insurance 25,450
Life tax and permanent registration : 82,940
Old 15th January 2011, 12:06   #28
BHPian

With no offense meant, I have seen a few Xylos with bumpers in different color and I though, may be they had some accident and owner didn't have enough time to finish the paint job or weather wasn't permitting. IMHO, the two tone paint job looks fairly ill fitting for this tall car, with tiny bumpers on either end painted differently. May be they should connect the two bumpers across the side panels in the same color, ala Tavera.

BH.
Old 15th January 2011, 15:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,

I am surprised the cost for E6 is 9lakhs. I got my E8 a year back for less than 9lakhs.
Cheers.
The prices have been silently revised and also a few features are missing out on few models.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:28   #30
BHPian

Hi
@Burning heart: I had seen a few vehicles which were painted according to your suggestion and i have to agree they look better.
@beejay: That takes the edge away from the value for money deal. I am glad i had purchased it earlier.
@igp_79: There are incidents of innova toppling in ECR, Chennai. The vehicle is as safe as the driver driving it.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks