Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 03:20   #1
BHPian

The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.

Hi guys,
I just picked up the Xylo E6. Having driven only cars till date, the xylo was a different cup of tea.

The purchase decision: The family getting larger meant i had to look away from sedans and hatches, and look towards MUVs and SUVs. The Toyoto innova, the Scorpio and the Xylo were shortlisted.

Scorpio vs Xylo: The third row of the scorpio was not really usable for adults. The performance of the xylo, as per automag numbers was comparable to the scorpio. The ride quality of the scorpio was better than the Xylo. But i did not find the ride quality of the Xylo to be substantially far behind. The Xylo was almost a lakh lesser than the Scorpio with similar specs. (Sle vs E6). No marked differences in the fuel efficiency stakes either.

The space inside the Xylo hits you like a Brickbat. It's a living room on wheels. The entire family ruled out the scorpio at the showroom itself. I was a little disappointed since the scorpio is the handsome cousin of the rather ugly nosed xylo. The scorpio has more snob value too. But practicality won the day.

Innova Vs Xylo: A reputed international carmaker vs the aggressive indian competitor, who i must say is not all that far behind. Having had cars from the big guys from abroad, my dad was a little apprehensive about how the Xylo would stack up. I had my apprehensions too. In this count the Team Bhp forums put a lot of confidence into me.

In the flesh, yes, the innova is so car like on the inside, when you look at the fit and finish of the plastics, the seat fabric, the plastic shrouds on the seat legs. The difference in quality on the outside is negligible though, be it the shutline uniformity or the paint job.

As far as dealership attitude is concerned, I felt the Toyota guys were a little more lofty as compared to folks at mahindra, who were very prompt and responsive

The engine refinement, power delivery and the slickness of the gearshift is no different from the best sedans out there, as far as the innova is concerned. The Xylo is decidedly a tad agricultural, especially the gearshift, the gearshift vibration on startup, and the engine noise on rev up. But I felt that this was not too unfavorable. Taming a beast is a lot more macho than cuddling a cat!!

The automag spec sheets give a more favorable impression of the Xylo's power delivery against the innova's , though this was hardly perceptible during the test drive.

In the ride quality department the Xylo can't hold a candle to the innova, which is well planted and does not bob over undulations. Roll is also much much lesser. That said, the Xylo did not fare badly as far as passenger comfort was concerned, provided, the driver was in control of the pitch and roll tendency.

The deal clincher is the price actually. The Xylo with a lot of bells and whistles, decidedly more space, and substantially powerful if a little wild engine, costs a full 3 lakhs lesser than the spartan innova (E6 vs GX).These cars in two different segments altogether! Add to this, a four month waiting period for the innova, and a polite but take it or leave it attitude of the toyota guys. Another factor is a little patriotism, that our guys have fared rather well in taking the fight to Toyota's doorstep, even if they have not won comprehensively.

P.s. When the mods approve the thread, i will be able to post detailed photographs and review, starting from the delivery of the vehicle to the inital ownership experience.
Old 7th January 2011, 09:11   #2
BHPian

Re: The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.

Nice! Good writeup. I guess most Xylo owners have a similar logic towards homing on to the Xylo, but I liked the patriotic piece. Awaiting more details. Let us know why E6 and not E8, especially when it's truly fully loaded.

Also how is the experience of last row seaters in the roads of Ooty?

Happy Motoring!
Old 7th January 2011, 09:31   #3
BHPian

The purchase and dealership experience: This was largely satisfactory except two issues that were more amusing than disturbing.

One, they gave me an extensive "how did we fare" questionnaire. and whenever I gave them a score of 6/10. They gently goaded me to give them a better score, and some of the questions were pertaining to the condition of the vehicle on delivery, however I hadn't seen the vehicle as yet.

The other issue was that the driver side armrest was limp on receiving the vehicle. When I pointed this out, the sales guy tried to pretend that nothing was wrong with it, which looked a little silly. But I persisted and they took the vehicle in and made adjustments to the errant knob. However I feel that these issues should be given a thorough once over during the pre delivery check.

Other than this, everything was smooth. The rapidity with which they brought home the test drive vehicle, staff courteousness, delivery time and date as promised.... this was all fine.

Up next: The car's exteriors, with photos.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy. Despite the looks, even i favour the Xylo for its practicality. This is very ideal for trips, owing to the cubby holes, folding trays, versatile seating, captain seats etc

Awaiting the pics
Old 7th January 2011, 13:23   #5
BHPian

igp, congrats on buying the most VFM in its class in the market today. Do post lots of pics of the ride and also share what the family (parents, wifey and Kid (if)) feels about Xylo experience.

Happy motoring.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 7th January 2011, 13:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

IGP- Congrats on the purchase. The captain seats are fantastic if you are going to be riding with less than 5 most of the time. And I think the Xylo rides better in bad roads compared to the Innova. Between Scorpio and XYLO, XYLO makes more sense for practicality. Only feed back I got from a doctor friend of mine was the Car didnt have the presense even his old sumo had on road as well as he didnt feel really strong or safe driving the Xylo compared to his sumo. His feed back was the space. He loved the tons of space XYLO has. I am not sure about his comments about the car feeling less safe compare to sumo.

Please post pictures.

Any modifcations with respect to ICE or anything??
Old 7th January 2011, 16:41   #7
BANNED

firstly, a hearty congratulations!
the xylo is a great value for money car and makes much more sense than the scorpio sle as discussed above.
Please post some pictures of the exterior and the detailed interior pictures. Also, it would be great if you could tell us about your initial driving experience and the pro's and con's.
Drive safe and i wish you a lot of happy miles with the xylo.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:09   #8
BHPian

Some pictures of the exteriors
Attached Thumbnails
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0465.jpg  

The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0466.jpg  

The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0467.jpg  

The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0468.jpg  

The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0469.jpg  

Old 10th January 2011, 20:51   #9
BHPian

The Exteriors:

Looks: Let's face it, nobody, and there are no exceptions, would describe the Xylo as even acceptable in the looks department. But believe me, I didn't think i would be writing this, the looks do grow on you. In fact, you do start liking her looks in a couple of days.

Tips to would be buyers include, buy the car with the ski racks. This for some strange reason that i can't fathom is available only on the E6 variant. Even if you go for the E8, fit it as an extra from the dealer for about 3.5k. It makes the car far more attractive. And the dual colour scheme again available only in the E6 play an effective roll in camouflaging the vertical bulk. If it's the E8 get a customiser to paint the bumpers in a contrasting and matching shade. Just my opinion.

That grill... Now that is the element that single handedly makes the xylo uglier than it should be. Toothy and curved. God, what were these guys thinking. Well, a bullbar was added in my car. Costs around 4k. I am not sure if i like it. My dad likes it though. Your opinions are welcome.

Fit and Finish: I would say the fit and finish of the exterior is as good as the innova are any other manufacturer for that matter. Shutlines and panel gaps are well within acceptable limits. Paint job is good. No real complaints here.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0472.jpg
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0473.jpg
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0474.jpg
Old 10th January 2011, 21:09   #10
BHPian

The Interiors

Quality of material used: The dashboard quality is quite good.The look and feel of the door pads too is good.

But the door handles look flimsy, have rough edges and the nail that hinges the handle is visible. A little more attention there wouldn't have cost more for the manufacturer, i am sure.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0488.jpg

The front of the seat fabric is not stitched to the seatback.Instead it is zippered closed. I am seeing this for the first time in a car.It is a novel idea.But the quality of the zipper is poor. The zipper on the second row failed on the third day, exposing the foam inside.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0477.jpg

The seat fabric is not tightly adapted around the foam. There are wrinkles, as though a seat cover was pulled on. But this, i think, one can live with.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0475.jpg

The plastic snaplocks on the inside of the door pads do not hold to the metal and the door pads keep loosening up when the door is slammed shut. I have to figure how to get them to stay fixed to the doors.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0481.jpg
[ATTACH]The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0487.jpg[/ATTACH]

These are small things and cost next to nothing. Why Mahindra?

Comfort:Now that the irritants are out of the way, let's go to the good things. And boy, are they cool. The map lights are real good. Two focus lamps for each row and door open lamps for the first two rows. They are functional and look good too.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0498.jpg

The Ac vents, roof mounted and for all three rows,with the second row getting four speed blower settings are effective and good.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0497.jpg

The Dc socket for the second row is quite useful, as is the flip type bottle holder for the second row.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0493.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0489.jpg  

Old 11th January 2011, 09:38   #11
BHPian

Comfort:

Here the xylo is the undisputed king of the game.There is acres of leg and headroom in the middle row. The third row is quite satisfactory too, according to the third row occupants in our 500 km drive, both were average sized adults. The armrests with cup holders are provided for both the rows.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0499.jpg
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0501.jpg

The entire middle row has backrest recline.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0500.jpg

The entire middle row can be released, thereby making ingress and egress of third row passenger extremely easy.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0502.jpg

Driver comfort and ergonomics: It is easy to get into a comfortable driving position. The driver seat is length and height adjustable and the steering wheel tilt adjustable. The grouse here is that the height adjust is not easy when you are sitting on the seat. You have to hoist yourself and then press the lever. The gear lever though it has a fancy design is not comfortable to hold and slot. The armrest should be inclined a little downwards to have easy access to the gear knob. In that position the seat belt clip is not accessible. so the drill goes like this.. Adjust height, hop in, belt up, slide armrest into position and you are ready to roll.
The Xylo E6 2010 : the perspective of a car owner.-img_0482.jpg

Overall, there are some quality issues. Nothing to wipe the smile off your face though. Most of em, you can fix it by yourself. But the amount of feel good, that the car provides more than makes up for the deficiencies. And if you want to compare the quality of the Innova to the quality of the beadings and handles on the xylo, remember you have paid 3 lakhs less, and that is the price of a small car. Verdict, you get more than what you paid for, so chill.
Old 11th January 2011, 10:16   #12
BHPian

Congratulations! Appreciate the descriptions with pictures.

Is that an umbrella below the driver's seat? Isn't it dangerous to keep anything there (as it may roll and settle under the pedals)
Old 11th January 2011, 10:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

That's a very detailed ownership thread.

I personally did not like the bull bar. I am just curious, what does the current E6 lack in terms of trim in comparison with the fully loaded E8.
When I purchased the E6 during the first batch, only minus was alloy wheels, middle row parcel tray and an option in DDAS which shows the direction.

Also, What is the OTR price now for the E6?
Old 11th January 2011, 10:50   #14
BHPian

Very nice report.
The pictures look great.Do post the initial ownership experience.

Drive safe
Old 11th January 2011, 10:50   #15
BHPian

Congrats IGP on your new purchase

Personally speaking I never liked the exterior of Xylo but Xylo with ski racks and dual color scheme is looking wonderful.
About that bullbar though it is looking good but it is really unsafe for pedestrian. Do get it removed if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks