Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 04:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano LX- Initial Driving Report

We have bought a Nano(LX version).My grandfather bought one for his local errands and needs.Its surprising how the Nano has made greater inroads as the second or third car in affluent households than the "people car" as it was touted to be.
Some points which i would like to mention.

1.The BIGGEST grouse of this car is the engine note.I don't know about anyone else but for me after 10 mins it was getting very irratating especially if the windows are down.When the windows are up,things are a bit better and insulation is quite good.

2.The quality of plastics for the price you are paying is quite good.No complaints on that front

3.Interior space is very good.Excellent front and back legroom.This car has been very well designed and has good space management.However did not like the exposed rails for the seat sliding mechanism.

4.Boot space is very small.We did a train station trip,and most of the luggage had to be piled on the rear seat and footwell.Thankfully because of its good interior space it managed to accommodate the luggage well.Also with full load,the engine had n0 problem coping with the increased weight.

5.AC is good.Had a chance to use it when the temperature reached 30 one afternoon and the cabin was cooled down within a short while,and this was on blower setting 1.

6.Ergonomics is good.Seats a bit high set so you have an expansive and clear view of the road ahead.The pedals,gear lever and ac controls all are well placed.

7.Power window switches are below & in front of the gear lever and are difficult to reach.

8.The steering is nice and chunky.Feels good to hold and easy to use in stop and go/city traffic.LX has a 3 spoke steering wheel

9.Engine has adequate low-end torque and will accelerate to 40-50kmph in no time.Perfect for city driving where speeds above 40 kmph is a rarity these days anyway.Above 70-80kmph the nano is not confident inspiring,and somehow i felt there was quite a lot of tyre noise at higher speeds.
Overtaking on the highways is not difficult but needs to be planned well.

10.First time at the petrol pump and i was in a quandry!

Attendant comes and asks me where is the fuel filler cap?I was confused i said peechei hoga.Then went back to check myself and i was perplexed because there was no fuel filler cap.Then another attendant comes running and says "oh nano hai na? uska ta to samne se tel bharna,hai.Sir bonnet kholiye"

The bonnet opeing lever was another obscure little thing under the driver side dashboard and took some more fumbling to find it.It should have been properly marked.

11.I liked that central instrument binnacle design.After 10 mins it becomes as normal as a driver side one.You can easily check speed and keep your eye on the road at the same time

12.I felt the brakes where a bit soft,long pedal travel.

13.Gearbox was excellent.Sure and precise,click click!

14.Seats were comfortable.Though they look thin they were cushion your body well.However they do not provide much grip,felt myself slipping forward whenever i had to brake a bit harder than usual.
In fact on one occasion,during hard and sudden braking when i saw a speed breaker at the last moment,my mom who was on the back seat slid of her seat and hit the front backrest very hard and hurt her knee.

15.Damping is adequate,however go over a pothole a wee bit faster than you would have liked and you will get thrown around.

Overall i was impressed with this car.Great interior space,easy to drive in the city,low maintainance and quite frugal on the petrol,looks cute and good build quality.

Its an ideal car for the that second car in the family to do the city errands and save for that irratating engine noise(or maybe its just me) its a good deal.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th January 2011 at 03:09. Reason: Removed the reference to the other thread. PM if you want any other changes to your post. Thanks again.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2011, 11:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Nano LX- Initial Driving Report

Note from Support: Have moved this report in a new thread.

Thanks for sharing. Please do update the thread regularly, and some pics too.
Old 26th January 2011, 11:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The BIGGEST grouse of this car is the engine note.I dont know about anyone else but for me after 10 mins it was getting very irratating
Overall i was impressed with this car.Great interior space,easy to drive in the city,low maintainance and quite frugal on the petrol,looks cute and good build quality.
Congratulations, Avishar, on acquiring the cute ladybird

Does the engine noise decrease post running in ? Maybe other Nano owners reading this can clarify.

I am always impressed when people talk of the interior space ! A great designing feat by Tata on that front, I must say.

Wishing you several happy kms
Old 27th January 2011, 20:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi thanks for the wishes.

Well i cant comment on whether the engine noise gets any better after run in,because it has done only about 300kms as of now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks