Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 21:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression

Congrats Hassdoc on the logan.Long time have not a logan review.The main problem is that the taxi wallahs have made Logan their cabs which spoiled its image. But the best thing in Logan is its superior engineering and great engine.The interiors are basic but functional.
Drive safe
Sreehari
Old 16th February 2011, 21:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Logan. My Logan has been behaving perfectly from the last 1.5 year. No rattles, no issues. Great fuel efficiency, space and power delivery isnt that bad either. Like you mentioned, the common indication for the side-indicators and hazard lights can be confusing and the stock tyres are a big let down. Do the running-in period properly, let the engine open up after a few thousand kilometeres and then enjoy.

Last edited by Stratos : 16th February 2011 at 21:23.
Old 16th February 2011, 22:01   #18
BHPian

Congrats. The car looks robust & practical. It would get much more customers but for the lingering uncertainty about its long term future.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry too much about those tires. They should easily last you the next 30K kilometers, although towards the end of that duration, you will start getting some Wheelspin.
I now use Yokos on mine, and they have already clocked another 25K kilometers, but the tyres are in fantastic shape, with easily another 20K left in them.
It's a great car, very practical and very comfortable. Have you tried it on bad roads yet? It rides like NO other car on bad roads.
You can try another nice little thing... You can slot the car in first gear with 4 people on board, on a 20-25 degree slope, and the car climbs without even a touch on the accelerator. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@hossdoc,

How's the AC performance? The car I had Test driven had a poor AC, I had tested the car in the October heat in 2010. One of the reasons for ticking off the Logan from the list.
Completely disagree to this. Must have been a one-off odd experience. I have a Logan Diesel for almost 4 years now, and staying in the extremely hot locales of Delhi, I can confirm that it does have a fantastic AC!

Last edited by Dippy : 17th February 2011 at 19:20. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 17th February 2011, 09:06   #20
BANNED

Hi Hossdoc

I'm using Logan 1.5 DLS since 2007 and my Logan is performing very well. Have driven almost all the south Indian states and performance is fantastic.

Service from SKS Auto is fantastic and trouble free. Very satisfied.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Completely disagree to this. Must have been a one-off odd experience. I have a Logan Diesel for almost 4 years now, and staying in the extremely hot locales of Delhi, I can confirm that it does have a fantastic AC!
+1 to that.
Even I found the Logan AC performing well. And even in ghat sections the car drove well with AC.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Can attest to that (3 yr old DLS). The only issues that I've had with mine are -
  • The Air flow direction knob tends to get stuck on some cars and can break.
  • Leaves/debri entering the AC system (car doesn't have a filter)
  • The plastic cubbyhole in the dashboard (above the glovebox where the passenger airbag is supposed to be) can break if someone grabs its edge to hold onto. It's really flimsy.
  • Inconsistent diesel filter replacement intervals - IIRC, the A.S.S makes you change the diesel filter every 7.5 - 10K Km. 15K km is the norm on other cars.

Watch out for any problems with the Air flow knob and insist on warranty replacement if you have the slightest issue with it. Everything else on the car seems built to last.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:30   #23
BHPian

Congratulations hossdoc. I hope you have a great time in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
  • The Air flow direction knob tends to get stuck on some cars and can break.
  • Leaves/debri entering the AC system (car doesn't have a filter)
  • The plastic cubbyhole in the dashboard (above the glovebox where the passenger airbag is supposed to be) can break if someone grabs its edge to hold onto. It's really flimsy.
  • Inconsistent diesel filter replacement intervals - IIRC, the A.S.S makes you change the diesel filter every 7.5 - 10K Km. 15K km is the norm on other cars.
Watch out for any problems with the Air flow knob and insist on warranty replacement if you have the slightest issue with it. Everything else on the car seems built to last.
My dad broke the plastic on the cubbyhole you are talking about. He was trying to move his seat forward and holding it for support. The cheap thing just came of I am glad that it costed just around 500 to replace it.
I am also having problem with the air flow knob and will get it replaced under warranty.
I have a Logan 1.6 GLS model and other than the above issues, the car has been trouble free (keeping fingers crossed). It has been consistently giving an average of 17 plus on the GT Road.

Last edited by Sush : 17th February 2011 at 14:31.
Old 17th February 2011, 15:02   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the buy hossdoc. It is the best colour for this car!

My first experience was in a Logan taxi. I was impressed with the ride quality and space! And the the driver was clipping at 120-140 on the way home from the airport, but the car felt composed.

I am to TD the vehicle as well

chauffeur driven for this car is a best case scenario
Old 17th February 2011, 19:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
My dad broke the plastic on the cubbyhole you are talking about. He was trying to move his seat forward and holding it for support. The cheap thing just came of I am glad that it costed just around 500 to replace it.
I am also having problem with the air flow knob and will get it replaced under warranty.
- yeah, these seem to be the only real issues with the car (got used to the wiper thingi by now). We have three logans in the family.

@hossdoc - watch out for these niggles and you'll have a long and happy ownership experience.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:25   #26
BHPian

Congrats Hossdoc for a new entrant in your garage!!!

Logan is a true VFM car. No doubts about that. Just wish the M&M service shouldn't bother you much.

Since there are not much threads regarding the Logan, keep updating this thread regularly for the sake of lots of people like me who depend upon T-BHP to make an informed decision while purchasing a car.

Happy Driving!!!
Old 18th February 2011, 01:37   #27
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the inputs and advice.
Spoke to a friend of mine who travels to Bangalore and has a regular taxi guy there who drives a Logan that just happens to have done 250000 km! Wow!
Today the car passed the acid test, ie, my mom, and she LOVED IT. Found it very much more comfortable than the Vista. The seat covers make the back seat even more plush.
I think...i'm hoping...this one is a keeper.

Quote:
I had TDed one of the diesel variant but sorry to say I did not find the car inspiring to drive. The low end grunt was very much there asking for more.
Any reason for still sticking to the JK tyres? I feel you should get it changed immediately.
Yes its not inspiring to drive but at the same time it is VERY pleasant. As for the tyres I was really tempted to change immediately, in fact even checked out options yesterday, but there are no regular decent "comfort" 205/55/R15s, only fancy complicated directional ones (i plan to hijack the alloys from my accent as well) available here at the moment.
Did a lot of thinking and decided to wait a while because the car is going to be driven very sedately by the chauffeur and maybe I shouldn't blow all that money right now. Confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
How is the clutch?Is it as light as the swift/vista ?
Could you elaborate for the interest of our readers on the problems in your vista?
The clutch is not only light it is quite smooth, no issues, definitely better than the vista and on par with the swift.
Problems with the Vista? Well, the tyres were literally shredded at 19000 and a bit km, to the point where the car would shudder at 60km/h. Wheel balance, alignment, suspension etc all checked.
Huge problem with smoke. The car moved well enough but would just belch clouds of black smoke when revved a bit (3000 rpm or so). This was not fixed despite two visits to the service centre.
Weird groaning noise while reversing. Again could not be solved.
It is a very nice car and i liked it a lot, but these problems which could not be sorted out and the fact that the car didnt feel like it would last prevented me from LOVING it, and when i saw i could get a good price for her NOW i didnt hesitate to let her go.
Lets hope the logan remains a smooth trouble free car five years down the line which is all i want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
You got all those accessories for only 14 k , how did you manage that .
Cheers
The ICE and HIDs were transplanted from my accent and the rest, i got for 14 k.

Quote:
@hossdoc,
How's the AC performance? The car I had Test driven had a poor AC, I had tested the car in the October heat in 2010. One of the reasons for ticking off the Logan from the list.
The AC is just about adequate, not a blast chiller like i remember reading in some auto mag, but with sun film its very comfortable (avg year round temps here 33 degrees with STIFLING humidity). Not a deal breaker at all. I guess its typical of many European cars to focus more on heating than cooling unlike the Koreans and the Japs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
[*]Leaves/debri entering the AC system (car doesn't have a filter)
Think it comes with an AC filter now? Think i saw AC filter replacement/cleaning in the manual somewhere. Will recheck. And thanks for the heads up on the air flow knob!!
Old 19th February 2011, 13:06   #28
BHPian

Dear hossdoc,

Congrats on your new buy!

Logan is a VFM car with lots of space. Happy motoring .

BTW, where are you located in Cochin? I think I saw your car at Panampilly Nagar an hour back.

Regards,
Jose.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:48   #29
BHPian

Excellent Review. Congrats on the buy.
The ride quality is really good and handling was a little surprising for me. I remember I took a cab (eventually it was a Logan) from my home to Airport and asked the driver to not to leave the accelerator till the airport. The driver turned out to be a enthusiast and was taking a corner at 110 on the flyover (Hyderabad guys know what flyover im talking about). And me at back seat was still comfortable. I was really impressed that day. Not to mention that car has stock tires.
Also the car has good built. No rattles or what soever.

Keep rocking!
Old 24th February 2011, 16:32   #30
BHPian

The logan is probably one of the best affordable sedan cars running on indian roads today. I had bought my logan 2nd hand last year and have till date had absolutely no problems at all !!

My servicing is done in the Nashik service station and have had excellent service from the team mambers. Also, to add, the servicing has not costed me more than 1.5 to 2k maximum for each service. when i had bought my car, it had clocked 27 k and today i m running on 44k (just in 8 months)

The tyres are in great shape and so is the AC. the engine even today sounds as good as new and I am getting an average of 12 - 13 kmpl. Mine is a petrol version and i drive from kandivali to Bandra daily and that too in peak hours in bumper to bumper traffic. I am usually running the car in 1st or 2nd gear, sparingly in 3rd and hardly in 4th gear (forget the 5th gear)

Just to add, the lever for wipers, the lever for indicators, the lever for opening bonet are all part of habits !! Once you get used to driving the car, one actually falls in love with the car (My case). The back seat is ultra comfortable and so is the leg space in the front. I have stuffed 4 adults in the back seat (seriously !!) and have driven 200 kms at a stretch with absolutely no complains. The same people on the return journey were in my uncle's Tata indigo and we were actually complaining about leg space.

Even the boot space is decent one can let go the minor faults of less storage space in the glove box and inability to keep 1 liter water bottles in the holder.

IMO logan is the best affordable trustworthy car that one can build a relationship with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks