Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 18:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression

I own a Logan DLX 1.5 Dci for the last 3 years, have clocked 50k. Here is my feedback..

Tyre -> Upgraded to Potenza recently after the OEM were flattened, ride quality and braking improved by Leaps and bound.
AC Switch -> Had an issue on day 2 of delivery and had to be replaced, after that things are Good (Touch Wood!)
AC -> Experienced leakage in the AC Pipe, replaced by India Garage under Warranty ( Had to wait for the part for more than 15 days though)
Power Steering - > Failed after Warranty was out, had to shell out from pocket to get it replaced.
Mileage - > I do Mysore-Bangalore very frequently with 100% AC, mileage i get is 20+
Space -> Has never been an issue, either for mortals or luggage.

Overall Opinion -> VFM for sure. USP is its Diesel Engine and Space. Spare Parts are hard to get in Mahindra Garages and always have a waitting period.

Well, now i am actually considering a replacement due to its bland boring looks. Lets see will keep you posted!

Last edited by Mpower : 26th February 2011 at 03:31.
Old 25th February 2011, 00:58   #32
BHPian

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression - 400 KM UPDATE

A week post delivery and having run 400 km it is official - Everyone at home loves the Logan! My wife, my mother, my grandmother for its exemplary plush ride and the chauffeur for its uncomplicated fuss free nature and effortless driving qualities. Me because I had never even considered this car and it has just exceeded all my expectations!
She is back from the mod shop with all the accessories I had mentioned fitted. The seat covers and sunfilm(highly recommended) add to the comfort and the park sensors make it easier to back her fat rear end up.
The ICE, from my beloved Accent sounds even better in the Logan thanks to a stellar job by Zuhemi at Emperor. The boot has enough room for lots of luggage even with the boxed sub, which is detachable in the unlikely event we need the extra space.
Also fitted are the HIDs from the Accent and the headlights are great with excellent spread and throw. I never got to test the OE bulbs sadly.
The dash also looks nice at night with the bright orange red illumination and i have matched the color on the JVC head unit so its all well coordinated.
She has returned a steady overall mileage of 14.5 kmpl which is fantastic for Cochin (driving mostly in second and third gear with the AC on all the time)
NOW, for the bad bits which need fixing at first service -
1) The cabin lamp is not working with the switch in the middle, i.e, on at door open position
2) One of the power window switches does not illuminate.
In the initial excitement I did not notice these two faults.

Did a small run in the rain and those LHD wipers just don't cut it. This unfortunately is a problem that cannot be fixed.

Here are some pictures with the mods (note how the ugly blue dotted plastic mats are still there under the nice black fabric mats thanks to the chauffeur who refuses to take them out) -

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243831.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243832.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243833.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243834.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243836.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243837.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243840.jpg

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression-_2243843.jpg
Old 26th February 2011, 03:06   #33
BHPian

Congratulations Hossdoc. The logan is definitely a real VFM car and is one of the few covered cars on TBHP. Great seat covers. Just a quick observation on the DLSX, the airbags and ABS can be life saving and are really a boon, so I think the 60K extra is well justified. You definitely might be right on the Faux wood fascia.
Old 26th February 2011, 03:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Very well written review. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossdoc View Post
but there are no regular decent "comfort" 205/55/R15s, only fancy complicated directional ones (i plan to hijack the alloys from my accent as well) available here at the moment.
Did a lot of thinking and decided to wait a while because the car is going to be driven very sedately by the chauffeur and maybe I shouldn't blow all that money right now. Confused!
Boy, 205 is a lot of rubber for 65 bhp.

If you are on a budget, go for Yoko A-drives. You will spend v.little because they are well priced. THe JKs only get worse with age.

Quote:
The AC is just about adequate, not a blast chiller like i remember reading in some auto mag, but with sun film its very comfortable (avg year round temps here 33 degrees with STIFLING humidity). Not a deal breaker at all. I guess its typical of many European cars to focus more on heating than cooling unlike the Koreans and the Japs!
Get front windscreen sunfilm. Looks up our excellent thread on that.

Hmm...I see you have tweeters in the back. Tuned for backseat listening ya?

Last edited by Mpower : 26th February 2011 at 08:02.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:14   #35
BHPian

Soumobakshi thanks for the pointers. Will watch out for those issues. As you can see from my last post there are already a few minor glitches which need fixing. Still love the car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
Just a quick observation on the DLSX, the airbags and ABS can be life saving and are really a boon, so I think the 60K extra is well justified.
Does the dlsx have two airbags or one? I do agree on the safety aspect but the DLSX also came with things I did not want, like the ICE, and that HORRIBLE faux wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Boy, 205 is a lot of rubber for 65 bhp.
If you are on a budget, go for Yoko A-drives. You will spend v.little because they are well priced. THe JKs only get worse with age.
I agree...205 is overkill!! Just shod her with 195/60/15 Michelin Primacys. Got a good deal on them because I exchanged the Yoko S Drives that were on the Accent.
End result is alloys, better looks, better tyres, better handling, same excellent ride quality, no great difference in brake feel/braking (may see a difference after the tyres have run in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...I see you have tweeters in the back. Tuned for backseat listening ya?
Have tweeters in the front too( check the pic with the park sensor)...those are Lightning Audio component sets with the crossovers hidden somewhere by the wizard of ICE.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problems with the Vista? Well, the tyres were literally shredded at 19000 and a bit km, to the point where the car would shudder at 60km/h. Wheel balance, alignment, suspension etc all checked.
Huge problem with smoke. The car moved well enough but would just belch clouds of black smoke when revved a bit (3000 rpm or so). This was not fixed despite two visits to the service centre.
Weird groaning noise while reversing. Again could not be solved.
It is a very nice car and i liked it a lot, but these problems which could not be sorted out and the fact that the car didnt feel like it would last prevented me from LOVING it, and when i saw i could get a good price for her NOW i didnt hesitate to let her go.
Congrats hossdoc both for the car as well as for a very good review. The first time i sat in a Logan was in a taxi and was amazed by the amount of space it has. It definitely is a VFM car. The interiors could have been better IMO but the comfort it provides at the rear is superb.

Just going off topic - I have a Vista Aura 2009 but the tyres were Bridgestone and lasted for 37K Kms. Just got them changed last week. Thankfully have not faced the same issues as you had so far (fingers crossed)
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend de-badging in the rear. esp the RHS badge which reads "Mahindra Renault" Its created in the most ugly font imaginable and hasnt changed since probably 1965. See it on tractors too. LHS looks good.

More here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...your-ride.html

Quote:
I agree...205 is overkill!! Just shod her with 195/60/15 Michelin Primacys. Got a good deal on them because I exchanged the Yoko S Drives that were on the Accent.
End result is alloys, better looks, better tyres, better handling, same excellent ride quality, no great difference in brake feel/braking (may see a difference after the tyres have run in).
Wow premium tire for VFM car But surprised that ride quality did not improve.
Old 28th May 2011, 20:50   #38
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression - 400 KM UPDATE

Quote:
A week post delivery and having run 400 km it is official - Everyone at home loves the Logan! My wife, my mother, my grandmother for its exemplary plush ride and the chauffeur for its uncomplicated fuss free nature and effortless driving qualities. Me because I had never even considered this car and it has just exceeded all my expectations!
Nice to know that everyone likes it especially when the car is for the family.

Since you are based in Kerala where rain gods are more than generous throught the year , would like to know yours and Chauffeur take on the LHD wipers. Is it a cause of concern ?
Old 28th May 2011, 23:16   #39
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression - 400 KM UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay387 View Post
Nice to know that everyone likes it especially when the car is for the family.

Since you are based in Kerala where rain gods are more than generous throught the year , would like to know yours and Chauffeur take on the LHD wipers. Is it a cause of concern ?
Been in a few heavy showers already this year and no, the LHD wipers are not THAT much of a problem. A tad disconcerting and you have to crane your neck a bit but you get used to it. I would not say it is downright unsafe, maybe more of an irritant.
hossdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 14:16   #40
BHPian

Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression - POST SERVICE UPDATE - 6 MONTH/7500 KM

The much loved Logan has done ~7500 km and sent for second, "free", service at the prescribed 6 month/10000km (whichever is earlier) date. She has had no complaints whatsoever except the power window (drivers side) switch which was not illuminating. This was noted shortly after delivery and the rep recommended waiting for the first major service to have it fixed under warranty.
She has returned a stellar mileage of 15 kmpl under very harsh bumper to bumper city conditions, with no highway runs whatsoever.
Service was done at TVS and she was delivered on the promised date at the promised time. The entire experience was hassle free.

JOBS DONE - CHARGES
Diesel Fuel Filter - 1316.46
Oil Filter - 299.58
Air Filter - 418.67
Oil Change - 619.56
Switch, Power Window, Drivers Side - 469.34 written off under warranty
TOTAL (inc taxes) - Rs. 2989/-

No problems with wheel alignment/balance hence not done. She is running rock steady!!

I had gone with my wife to drop off the car and she saw the Verito and was commenting on how lucky we were to buy this car before the "facelift". The Verito looks like a plain looking but decent looking middle aged lady who has been botoxed, nipped and tucked by a plastic surgeon of ill repute! I really dont know if I would have gone in for this car after the whole rebranding exercise, VFM or not!
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:43   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Logan 1.5 DLX Initial Impression - POST SERVICE UPDATE - 6 MONTH/7500 KM

Quote:
The much loved Logan has done ~7500 km and sent for second, "free", service at the prescribed 6 month/10000km (whichever is earlier) date...
Hey hossdoc, bumping up the thread as it's NOT updated for quite some time! How is your Logan doing? Care for a quick update please?
Old 17th March 2013, 21:02   #42
BHPian

hosdoc, are you still having the logan? How's the service experience post the jv breakup? I had taken my logan for 30k servicing and I've noticed that parts availability is going down. Dont know if its just an isolated incident.

Most Viewed