Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 11:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet - initial review

welcome to the Jet-setter's club !!
Both the steering and the clutch/gear is a matter of adjusting.
coming from the maruti stables, i never had any issues adjusting to it.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Cranky!
The long post was extremely readable. And I liked the way the story evolved and you finally bite the bullet. Wonderful decision making indeed!

The first two points from the Getting to Know Each Other section is quite disturbing, especially for a brand new car. Did you manage to get those fixed?

On second thoughts, imperfections are good at times! Enjoy your T-Jet
Old 11th March 2011, 13:30   #18
BHPian

Thanks again for the kind comments guys. I hope to get a lot of life out of this car, as it's the most expensive one I've bought so far.

@ms001 - I'm not an SUV kind of guy actually, so I never even thought about them. I did think about the Innova because of its car-like ride, but it would still be a slow boat. One of my key concerns is high-speed stability, so the SUVs just did not enter the picture. I've driven an Innova and it's fine till 140, which is why I briefly thought about it. Eventually though, the age of that car got to me. I don't much like the Scorps or Safaris. Just a personal thing - I've seen too many rollovers and don't trust myself with them.

@madhukar - thanks for the encouragement. I find the clutch is easier now though I'm still far from perfect with it. It's also difficult to adjust to something unless I know it intimately and given that I'm currently tiptoeing around (with just two short, sub-5 seconds 4000rpm bursts) with the car, it will take a bit of driving to get to know it well.

@vb-san: I haven't managed to do anything about those issues yet, and hope to resolve them next week, I agree that it is a huge issue that a car goes out with bits missing. My big issue is time and procrastination since the problems aren't very big.

The thing on my mind is that the media player does not work predictably and the most unforgivable design error of all - Blue and Me stops working the moment the ignition goes off.

Which means you are never expected to be seated in your car listening to music off USB. Only radio - which I don't care for at all - and CD. I switched to DVDs two years ago for storage, have no blank CDs at all. I discovered this to my folly last night when I was waiting for a dinner meeting for a few minutes, suddenly I had no music and no handsfree. So I've to go shopping for some pedestrian CDs and start thinking about how to keep them in the car.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:28   #19
BHPian

Hi Cranky !. Many congrats for the Jet and welcome to the club.
That was a very nice writeup and honestly you have very nice english accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Which means you are never expected to be seated in your car listening to music off USB. Only radio - which I don't care for at all - and CD. I switched to DVDs two years ago for storage, have no blank CDs at all. I discovered this to my folly last night when I was waiting for a dinner meeting for a few minutes, suddenly I had no music and no handsfree. So I've to go shopping for some pedestrian CDs and start thinking about how to keep them in the car.
This problem is strange since the media player should work after the ignition is turned off. You may have to select the appropriate source by pressing the src button from steering wheel. This is bcoz the default settings goes away after turning off the car.

Certainy you need some patience bcoz it will go through FM, MW, SW, CD and lastly Media player. At times this is frustrating if you are listening to your fav numbers.

Media player is my life while I am waiting outside the office of my wife !..(I do not burn Gas while waiting for her)
Old 11th March 2011, 18:33   #20
BHPian

Cranky - Congrats on your buy.

The Blue & Me definitely doesn't power off when your are on a call even though you turn off the ignition. Would recommend getting it checked again and if this the case then ask the Fiat ASC to check the Blue & Me box.

Also the earlier version of B & M used to default to Media player whenever you start the car. This was fixed in the newer version as it was annoyance for few people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
This problem is strange since the media player should work after the ignition is turned off. You may have to select the appropriate source by pressing the src button from steering wheel. This is bcoz the default settings goes away after turning off the car.

Certainy you need some patience bcoz it will go through FM, MW, SW, CD and lastly Media player. At times this is frustrating if you are listening to your fav numbers.

Media player is my life while I am waiting outside the office of my wife !..(I do not burn Gas while waiting for her)
The media player will not work when the key is completely in the off position. Only the Radio and CD Player works. It will start working only when your key is in Mar position. Is that the same thing you wanted convey as well SP?
Old 11th March 2011, 20:19   #21
BHPian

A very good write-up and excellant choice cranky.
We are still waiting for the pictures of your acquisition.

Drive safe.
Old 11th March 2011, 20:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
@sathya_sc: thanks for that. I would love to know your observations as well - this is why it's known as 'driving style'. You may have been able to get more out of her than I am as of today. I thought long and hard about the MJD, but given that my daily run is ~15kms or less with the occasional long drive (~10-15K/year) I preferred petrol. Obviously the MJD was cheaper but I guess the level of kit and the engine and braking swayed me quickly towards this one.
I had a Linea MJD and now have upgraded to the Jet. MJDs steering is heavy and hence I told that it is close to your wish.. May be the T-Jet comes second to MJD interms of steering feedback but still one of the best.. Reg. understeer-100% agree .. when you brake at a corner it tends to understeer.. but this happens at speeds above 140/150.. But MJD handles even these without a sweat.. May be higher GC is the culprit!

By the way, PICS sir!
Old 12th March 2011, 13:48   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I am sure you are gonna love the car. At first you may fin some things weird and even annoying. But she grows on you and then nothing else feels the same. My love story started with Palio and went on to MJD. Even my wife and son refused to accept any other car not even the famed Vento which in my opinion is highly overrated. I drove my friends over a long distance yesterday and though it's well built not as involving as the Fiat. In case any Vento guys reading please don't bash, it's personal opinion. I know I'm a minority but that's why I drive a fiat
Old 12th March 2011, 22:49   #24
BHPian

Congrats for the T-Jet. But its certainly a sin not to post snaps of the Italian damsel. Kindly post the same ASAP.
Have fun revving the Fiat.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:54   #25
BHPian

Hi

Yes, I meant if the key is not in MAR position (with the dashboard all lit up in warning lights) the media player doesn't work, only radio and CD. I've not got disconnected while on a call, but I have noticed when turning off the ignition the connection light on the Blackberry goes off. Maybe that's worth trying out someday.

Pics should be up by Monday. I'm hampered by my lack of a good camera, and this weekend will be the day to go for drive and take some snaps.

Drive safe
Old 24th March 2011, 20:25   #26
BHPian

Well that was not Monday

The pictures were taken by a friend who is still learning the inner workings of the camera, so one of the shots is very blurry. I left the numberplate on as I can't figure out how to cut it out using the programs built into this Mac.

Anyway, enjoy them. Sorry for not getting interior shots. There was very bad (harsh/overhead) light by the time we got around to doing the shoot, so we left them out. Plus, we forgot

Maybe later once my camera arrives there will be more, and better pictures.

A few more points:

1. The service seems efficient and sincere, but not aggressive or persistent enough. I got the follow-up call once, I was in a meeting and they didn't really bother afterward. So if I was not satisfied (which I was) there is not much of action to collect the information.

2. The steering column adjustment has some issue. At lowest position (default) it is fine, but when raised it starts rattling and buzzing at some combinations of engine speed, land speed and steering position. It's a little unsettling.

3. Similarly I have some issues with a hum and vibration, quite a bad one, at about 3000rpm. This only happens when the throttle is fixed at that position, the moment it crosses below or over that specific rev number, the vibration ceases. It seems to have no functional effect at all, as the car is performing as expected even with this vibration. It needs to go back to the service once again if I find this problem on my next longish trip. It's very difficult to diagnose this on the 3km run between home and work.

4. The car is very comfortable to drive. I did a 90km run across Delhi and didn't feel the slightest bit tired. The seats fit me well and almost every driving position in the car works for me. I prefer sitting low, but the steering is not suitable there so I've arrived at a 'middle' path. Will hold out judgement for a bit, but just like the official review I do keep hitting the wrong power window button.

5. The understeer is getting to me. I did a run on the Delhi-Faridabad road at reasonable speeds, and it seems the car does not really want to turn on command. One has to plan one's cornering well, downshift and steam out of corners. Can't carry much speed into them, very unlike a European breed (though this is only my second 'European' vehicle)

6. B&M and the entire music system will probably have to leave the car. The quality of sound is unacceptable, and the software is very quirky. I set the music volume to 3 (very low) and a call comes in. While attending the call I turn off the engine, the call continues. So far so good. I notice I need to bring the car slightly forward. I turn on the ignition. Music system volume goes up to 19. Which results in a deafening rattle because that's all the speakers can manage to produce with that level of power going into them. I managed to hack in a 320GB drive with lots of music, unfortunately the process of moving through the folders is so slow with just two buttons, I'm having serious thoughts about staying with this system.

7. The car is a hoot to drive. You can leave honking idiots eating dust at traffic lights, and manage to avoid even the most suicidal Gurgaon bikers (who seem intent on killing themselves using your car as the tool of the deed) with the generous braking reserves. The turning radius is a bit challenging and I don't think I figured out how big it actually is and how reluctant it is to leave a straight line. It's a little tougher to park than the small cars I've been used to - however I've managed to keep her nose (and bum) clean so far.

8. Which is more than I can say for the idiot who decided to mark my car with their 'paint exchange scheme'. When and how it happened I'm not sure, I just noticed it when the guy from service came to pick up my car and pointed it out. A bit of rubbing compound took it almost off, but the mark is there for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet - initial review-dsc_1213.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet - initial review-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by cranky : 24th March 2011 at 20:49.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:16   #27
BHPian

Congratulations on JET. I may end up buying t-jet as well. The only contendor is Vento TDI.

After spending few days with your t-jet, can you take a test ride of Vento TDI and let me know the difference you feel. I read many ownership review of Vento TDI, but nobody is saying anything about Vento's handling.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:46   #28
BHPian

Cranky,

The handling is not as bad as you have said. I believe there is something wrong.. It handles very well and only when it is pushed to limits it understeers in corners (>150 types). Otherwise it has great composure. Next weekend, I am on a long ride and will share my feedback on the handling part. In short, mine seems to have no issues unless otherwise you corner it at insane speeds.

Just check it..

And by the way, the photos are awesome. Looks gorgeous.

Sathya

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 25th March 2011 at 07:47.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:24   #29
BHPian

@Cranky, looks like you are telling my story.
I noticed the media player thing you mentioned which I failed to noticed since my key always in ON position.

Understeer- yes. My Palio handles better. I have been telling this since day-1.

Gas Pedal- Earlier I thought it is the long travel of clutch I wasn't used to. But lately I have noticed that the gas pedal is dead for say first 10mm travel, there is a sudden increase in rpm after that. I am still learning it (done 4900 km till date). I mean to say the sensitiveness of gas pedal is not perfect.

Rattling- Something rattles in rear. I tried banging everything starting from headrest to door handles etc. Cannot make it.

Music system- I find it decent after doing some circus with the equalizer and keepin the Loud ON. The default volume can be lowered from the Audio Menu. I discovered this lately. The car manual is I think incomplete.

The speed sensiblity- This is getting dangerously over me. I am unable to make it either the car is very fast or decent fast or slow. I need to check the frequency at which I am overtaking. Neither the passengers are able to make it. Since 80 to 100 kmph is acheivable with a blink of eye, it is difficult to digest by person graduating from overweighted underpowered 1.2 Palio.

Service- I am crossing my fingers since the D day is only 300 kms away. I have absolutely 'ZERO' confidence on the mechanics at kht motors. Still I have faith in God.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 25th March 2011 at 10:27.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:54   #30
BHPian

@sathya, depending on the angle and width of the corner even 50km/h may be too fast. Specially within the city. I'm not sure it's possible to always check this out, but in Gurgaon we have a lot of corners which are extremely challenging even at 40km/h.

And I'm not saying the handling is bad - it's just understeer. It limits the extent to which one can push the car. It's still a lot better than any of its closest rivals, but I strongly feel some smaller and less powerful/lighter cars may handle significantly better.

@pawan: I did drive the TDI. Fantastic car. If you drive more than 15K kms a year get it with your eyes closed, the fuel cost saving is too much to ignore. Provided you can wait the 4 months.

For the enthusiastic driver the T-Jet is still the better car, primarily due to the steering. I remember being very uninspired by the steering in the Vento because my only point of feedback was body roll (and there was not much). The Vento has the edge in the engine department, but the T-Jet is a lot more fun, as others have pointed out in the thread (and others).

The VW handles quite reasonably. It is not unsettled over the semi-broken roads of Bangalore (where I tested it) and has enough GC for some of the big speedbreakers on Nandidurga road. For your city it's a fine car, so choose whichever you prefer instinctively, there' not much to split between them.

@speed_pujari: I am hoping you have a good time at service. The guys who do my car are sincere and efficient. I haven't had (and hope I never will) the chance to test their expertise in detailed technical issues. Do let us know how it goes

On road speed, you should feel safe at all times, no matter what the speed is. Whether at 20 or 120, you must have clear vision ahead, behind and all sides, and must be able to stop the car in emergency situations. Only then is your speed correct. Using the speedometer or the throttle is a method of feedback, the actual controller is between your ears.

I have managed to get reasonable control over the gas pedal, though my heel still sticks on the floormat. I think I haven't stalled the car in a bit, so the clutch is getting better for me. The 5-month driving hiatus didn't help me too much, but I think I'm over it as I've started pushing the car a bit, but not too hard just yet.

I shall post back once I cross the 1000km mark, hopefully with some more pictures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks