Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 16:20   #1
BHPian

The Whiteknight Arrives...MY Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance

Hi All,
Finally, am back to the Test Drives and Initial Ownership Reviews thread with a new post of my own. Well, since most wouldn’t remember, my last new thread was on the most wonderful and now extinct “Aquarius Blue” Ford Fiesta that I bought back in September 2009, better known as “Blue Streak”. In one sentence, the car has been awesome and I really couldn’t ever have asked for anything better. Every time I drive the car, it just plasters a smile on my face and makes me look like a silly school kid, who’s in love.

So after driving this car for 18 months now, it was time to look out for another car. Well, it had to be a hatchback, reasonably roomy, have safety features, come with the bells and whistles and of course, be a “hoot to drive” and at least emulate “Blue Streak” if possible. Keeping these factors in mind, i’d shortlisted the following cars:

1. VW Polo 1.6
2. Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance
3. Hyundai i20 Asta
4. Honda Jazz

Hyundai i20: Not upto the mark as far as performance was concerned. While the top end Asta O variant offered superb kit, I was keener on a more involved driving experience, which somehow the i20 didn’t provide me. Am not saying, it’s not a great car, but perhaps my Fiesta 1.6S has “dulled my senses” and the only thing that excites me is performance.

Honda Jazz: Again, a brilliant car, well kitted out, somehow felt the car was more solid than its big brother, the City and the interior was better too. Decent kit and loaded upto the gills with cubbyholes and safety features. The drive was good too as far as the city was concerned and I found immediate response when I needed it. The slick gearshifter only added to the joy. However, the fun was shortlived on a highway run with 4 people on board wherein I again felt the BHP factor lacking to an extent. That coupled with the highish price tag made me decide against it.

VW Polo 1.6 Highline: I was totally sold on the Red Polo and considering that my brother had recently bought a 1.2 Highline, was keen to try the car as well. Unfortunately, the VW Kolkata dealer didn’t have a 1.6 for Test Drive and I was instead offered a TD in a 1.2, which was anyways not worth much. But what really struck me as odd was the lackadaisical attitude of the sales staff. Seems no one at the dealership was keen to sell me a car. Well, to its credit, the Polo is a fabulous car, looks great especially in Red, has decent kit and safety features. However, the attitude of the dealership was extremely disappointing.

Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance: This car, was the last on my list considering all the fantastic publicity that Skoda India were generating for themselves on the forum. Also, the Kolkata dealer didn’t seem to have a solid reputation for service was making me tread in fear. Well, the very first call to the dealership was positive since the sales rep and the corporate sales in charge met me the same day with their deal. While there wasn’t any 1.6 available TD, the efficiency and the courteousness of the sales staff was refreshing, compared to the “stuck up” VW guys.

While still wary, their initial courteousness sat well with me. I did TD the 1.2 Elegance trim and was pleasantly surprised by the power delivery, the gearshift quality, the trim, safety features and the overall solidity of the vehicle. Somehow, I smiled the moment I got off the TD car. I knew I had to book the 1.6 Elegance. Could it be that the Fabia would be truly “Fab”ulous??

I debated between Red and Silver and finally went for the Silver colour option and Skoda promised me delivery within 25 days. However, midway, I realized that I liked the white better and informed the dealer. As luck would have it, there was a White Elegance in stock and was offered the car within 2 days time. So I reached the showroom on Wednesday with great anticipation as what was to be.

Showroom and Delivery Experience
- Spacious waiting area for customers with massage chairs, Skoda memorabilia, Skoda Videos and an Interactive display to keep busy.
- More importantly, all formalities for the documentation were covered in about 5 minutes since there was no vehicle waiting for delivery that day.
- The car itself was all spick and span and polished. No dirty spots either inside the car. Even the engine bay had been washed and was gleaming.

With the documentation complete, i was ushered to the delivery area outside the showroom, where we posed for the photo and were also handed some gifts like a chocolate box, a travel flask and key chains. After a complete overview of the car thanks to the “technical advisor”, we were all set to drive off into the peak Kolkata traffic.

I have only managed to drive about 90 kms since taking delivery but here are my initial views

Interiors:
Very well put together. The sheer quality of the stalks, the feel of the shifter lever and the steering wheel immediately transported me into the insides of a car more expensive. The AC was also chilling though I didn’t understand what “Climatic” function meant. Also haven’t still managed to find out at what directional setting does the rear AC Vent come into play. The car however, is extremely spacious and I found the front seats to be very supportive and firm. Should be good over a long drive. The rear seats are also nice and the rear space is far more than mu Fiesta. Also, you sit higher up and not in a crouched position that one is used to while sitting in the Fiesta.

Initial Response:
While the initial response off the line felt a bit sedate and not as brutal as the Fiesta, I put this down to the higher weight, the newness of the car and also my driving style. However, speed through the gears is fantastic and it can leave the 1.2 HTP for dead in any gear. Also, did manage to touch 110 kph at one or two instances and fur sure, the car has loads of room for more.

NVH:

My only other experience of the Fabia was when I Td’ed the 1.2HTP and boy o boy was the HTP one wheezy, noisy engine. The 1.6 is silent, has less vibration and harshness, all thanks to the extra cylinder. Also, the inside does well to insulate one from the noisy taxis and buses.

Suspension and ride quality:
Well, the suspension did throw up a surprise. While I was expecting the ride to be pliant over bumps, I was surprise that the car almost jumped over speed breakers. Excess tire pressure, maybe? I guess need to fine tune the ride quality and check the tire pressure setting over the weekend. Havent got a chance to explore the handling bit at all, but initial views are that its supple and the car does track a straight line. Do miss thicker tires though.

While these are my initial impressions, will do a more detailed overview with pics over the weekend. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
A new journey begins once again…
Attached Thumbnails
The Whiteknight Arrives...MY Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance-1299694904315.jpg  

The Whiteknight Arrives...MY Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance-img00375201103091925.jpg  

The Whiteknight Arrives...MY Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance-img00381201103091939.jpg  

The Whiteknight Arrives...MY Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance-img00674201103091811.jpg  

premjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 16:43   #2
BANNED

Re: The Whiteknight Arrives...MY Skoda Fabia 1.6 Elegance

For the 1st time, let me take the honors of wishing you-

Many a CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

One the best built hatchbacks in India and has the best steering wheel even compared to a class above it.

How bout the pricing?

Please post some interior pics too !!

Enjoi the plush drive.

Many a Happy Miles !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 11th March 2011 at 16:47.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:53   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Premjit on your new Fabia

Your review was crisp and well narrated, thanks for bringing up the pictures though few more pictures of interior would add justice to the thread.

Please let me know the OTR price and discounts if there any.

Any upgrades planned?? Sun film?? etc...

All the best for your new journey
Old 11th March 2011, 16:59   #4
BHPian

Congratulations Premjit and welcome to the Fab 1.6 group. The car looks great and white is a good choice. I am sure you will enjoy the car thoroughly once you get used to the slightly different accelerator setting.
As explained by shivir in his excellent post, there is a kind of 'play' in the accelerator and once you are conscious of this, you will be able to accelerate with ease. Overtaking at all speeds is really nifty. In fact the initial slow response of the accelerator allows you to negotiate tight parking and city traffic with ease.
I don't think there is climate control. The user manual is common for a variety of models sold in EU. So features not available here are also listed. If you keep the temperature knob to the lowest (blue), the ac will always come on, when you switch on the fan.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2011 at 15:48.
theoriginal9321 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th March 2011, 17:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Premjit .
The car looks like a smaller version of laura from the front and of course looks beautiful.
I guess no one can beat the quality of skoda cars.

Happy driving, also a shoot out @ dalylight would also be nice .
Bdw what was the on road price in kolkata.

Cheers
Old 11th March 2011, 18:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats Premjit .
The car looks like a smaller version of laura from the front and of course looks beautiful.
I guess no one can beat the quality of skoda cars.

Happy driving, also a shoot out @ dalylight would also be nice .
Bdw what was the on road price in kolkata.

Cheers
Totally agree that the Fabia looks like a smaller Laura and it truly does. In fact, somehow feel that the White color more closely emulates the Laura than anything else.

Photoshoot is planned tomorrow morning. So will updated detailed pics on Sunday.

The costing was as follows:

SKODA FABIA ELEGANCE 1.6MPI EX FACTORY COSTRs. 5,39,991
VAT 13.5%Rs. 72,899.00
EX SHOWROOMRs. 612,890.00
LESS : CORPORATE DISCOUNT for CitibankRs. 35,000.00
TOTAL Rs. 577,890.00
INSURANCE (As per company policy) To be borne by my employer
COMPANY REGISTRATIONRs. 35000
ONROAD PRICE 612890
Old 11th March 2011, 18:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the new buy. Nothing like the Fabia! But a question to ask (Not for the occasion though!).
Why you had to give away the Fiesta? Any issues?
Old 11th March 2011, 18:58   #9
sGj

Congrats on your new buy. It’s nice to know that there are some skoda dealers who get a good review amidst all the issues going around. Would love to see some pics of the interiors. Drive safe.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Post edited as it contained various [FONT] and [SIZE] tags. Please refrain from posting with such tags on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th March 2011 at 21:51. Reason: See Moderator note in post.
Old 11th March 2011, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

^ Fiesta 1.6S stays from what i have heard.

Congrats Premjit - the WK looks beautiful wish you many miles ahead and a great year ahead with the 1.6 beasts.

Take care and drive safe
Old 11th March 2011, 19:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
^ Fiesta 1.6S stays from what i have heard.

Congrats Premjit - the WK looks beautiful wish you many miles ahead and a great year ahead with the 1.6 beasts.

Take care and drive safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats on the new buy. Nothing like the Fabia! But a question to ask (Not for the occasion though!).
Why you had to give away the Fiesta? Any issues?
@ampere: No ways that i'd give up the Fiesta for anything in the world. Blue Streak is something else, She's the love of my life.

@Planet: Thanks a ton !! Yeah, now there's 2 1.6 Beasts.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hi Premjit. Congrats on the new Fabia. Looks quite awesome in white.
When you do the daylight photoshoot, can you please get some interior pics as well
Old 11th March 2011, 21:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the notun gaadi (new car)premjit da.
Seems like the ananyo experience was damn good.He too gave me an excellent buying experience when we got the anhc and civic from him.
1.6 twins.
Old 11th March 2011, 22:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats,looks very good in white.The fabia has actually a new lease of life after the facelift and dropping of prices.Sales have increased from the 200 odd to over 1000 a month now.

There is nothing like a car which exudes quality,the quality of materials interiors in the fabia puts a smile on its owners face everyday!

I wonder does what are sales of the skoda 1.6 vs polo 1.6?
Old 12th March 2011, 00:16   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congratulations! Just curious, are the DRLs active by default?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks