Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner- My new Tuna, nice ride but the vibes

Hi, I picked up a brand new Fortuner about two weeks ago and have been having fun driving it. Love the ways it cruises with loads of power at disposal. One could actually start off in the fourth gear and there is loads of low end torque. The turbo kicks in pretty quick at 1500 and is a wonderful for those dashes when you want to overtake or show off your pick up.

Its a lovely beast but could have done better with the fitment and could have done with some more gadgets . The ICE leaves a lot to be desired and is outdated. The options that the dealer had were no great guns either and changing to an aftermarket unit means sacrificing the steering volume and channel controls.

The most annoying bit is the engine noise and the vibrations on the gear lever in all gears. The floor vibrates a fair bit too in low revvs. Is that normal for all fortuners? or does mine vibrate more then normal? Appreciate if current owners can provide feedback and if need be I could have it looked over at the dealer's

I have used both normal diesel and the high speed version but found no difference in performance so far.

I have already added a rear guard to protect from those pesky bike drivers with liquid brakes.

Further additions over the next several weeks would be

1. Front Guard
2. Roof Rails
3. Thule Box
4. Removable setup for a set of #240 light force lights
5. Dual battery setup - have the box from Tmaxx but looking for the right battery tray
6. Have the winch but no idea how to mount it
7. Set of new horns coz the OEM ones are too meek for something this size!
8. Contemplating a fender mirror, useful vs ugly.
9. Side claddings to protect against scratches on the doors

optional for distance touring

a. heavy duty roof rack - hard find
b. carrier for 2 Jerry cans
c. rock sliders to replace the ugly side steps
d. extra set of yokohamas for sand and off roading
e. SUV tent - lovely contraption
f. side awning

Any suggestions are most welcome and updates soon

Looking forward to a longer trip after the initial breaking and shall post more reviews.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:15   #2
BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner- My new Tuna, nice ride but the vibes

Congratulations, Zipperone.
But new ownership post without picture is injustice, specially when its an SUV like Fortuner.
Old 17th March 2011, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner- My new Tuna, nice ride but the vibes

Hi Zipperone - Congratulations !
Looking forward to some snaps real quick.
Coming to the vibrations, I find no vibrations from the floor or elsewhere, though the cabin noise as well as the gear lever ballet is a fact.

Your list of accessories is rather interesting. I would be most interested in the Bull Guard.
Have fun with the new acquisition !
Old 17th March 2011, 10:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! Its indeed one of the most grand looking SUV and probably an industry first for sales in that price segment. It's sheer size is quite intimidating.

Yesterday, I was out for a jog in park which is adjacent to our state assembly. Within 200 meters, I must have seen not less than 30 Fortuners amongst a bunch of other cars like Volvo XC90, X5, Innova, CRVs etc. all queuing up to pick up their owners who stepped out of a meeting and around half of them brand new with TR plates. Seems like all our state politicos are opting for it.

Funny you mention high engine noise. I particularly happen to note that Fortuner engine noise is quite high compared to even an Innova

Enjoy your new ride and drive safe !
Old 17th March 2011, 11:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
The most annoying bit is the engine noise and the vibrations on the gear lever in all gears. The floor vibrates a fair bit too in low revvs. Is that normal for all fortuners? or does mine vibrate more then normal? Appreciate if current owners can provide feedback and if need be I could have it looked over at the dealer's
This is normal for all Qualis/Innova/Fortuner vehicles. I also find it a bit odd to have gear lever passing on vibrations.

[quote]4. Removable setup for a set of #240 light force lights

Please do not use them for normal highway driving.

Quote:
5. Dual battery setup - have the box from Tmaxx but looking for the right battery tray
Why? Have a alternator run off the engine for those long camp stays if at all needed.

Quote:
6. Have the winch but no idea how to mount it
Raj @Perfomance has done a lovely job with JD's vehicle. The winch is incorporated within the front bumper itself. Will try to get a picture for you.

Quote:
optional for distance touring
a. heavy duty roof rack - hard find
b. carrier for 2 Jerry cans
c. rock sliders to replace the ugly side steps
d. extra set of yokohamas for sand and off roading
e. SUV tent - lovely contraption
f. side awning

Man that is serious on the road living equipment.

No pictures??
Old 17th March 2011, 22:32   #6
BHPian

Thanks Sudev and everyone else. Its a lovely beast. Understand the need for pictures and promise to take pictures as soon as I can and post. I do not have any lake front or hill shots but will try and show the beast as best with my limited skills.

The 240s are meant to be a removable setup only needed when I am driving in the night in the desert or on back roads and they will mostly stay off the vehicle. I would not feel safe with them mounted all the time and they anyways add drag to the profile. Certainly would not use them in the city/highway. I like to drive responsibly and expect others to do so.

Any recommendations on where I can get them cheap?

The second batt is really to run the accessories, which includes my two way radio and a cooler/heater box and the extra set of lights. I have a spare 80AH battery and the dual batt kit already and the only thing needed now is a suitable battery tray and some skills.

[quote=sudev;2281646]Congrats on your acquisition.

This is normal for all Qualis/Innova/Fortuner vehicles. I also find it a bit odd to have gear lever passing on vibrations.

Quote:
4. Removable setup for a set of #240 light force lights

Please do not use them for normal highway driving.

Why? Have a alternator run off the engine for those long camp stays if at all needed.

Would that not consume fuel?

Raj @Perfomance has done a lovely job with JD's vehicle. The winch is incorporated within the front bumper itself. Will try to get a picture for you.

Would like to see how he has done it and might visit him soon. Look forward to the pictures

Man that is serious on the road living equipment.

This stuff shall happen over a long period as I collect the items and bring them in from my trips abroad. I have a friend helping to design and fabricate the roof rack.

No pictures??

Coming Sir.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:51   #7
BHPian

wow! nice mod list i would love to see a fortuner with those said things. congrats with the new ride, good luck with it.
Old 18th March 2011, 00:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ICE leaves a lot to be desired and is outdated. The options that the dealer had were no great guns either and changing to an aftermarket unit means sacrificing the steering volume and channel controls.
if you upgrade your ICE, you can still use the steering audio controls. I do in my Innova. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post2245030
Old 2nd April 2011, 17:13   #9

Hey ZIPPERONE

may be my setup of Light Force 240 XGT help u in your future 240 installation.

Quote:
Hi, I picked up a brand new Fortuner about two weeks ago and have been having fun driving it.
===========
Looking forward to a longer trip after the initial breaking and shall post more reviews.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd April 2011 at 18:12. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for a short reply. Thanks
Old 10th April 2011, 16:25   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the Fortuner.Truly I love the fortuner because of the attention it gets from other motorists.Which color?Do update with lot of pics.
Drive him safe.
Sreehari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks