Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 20:36   #31
BANNED

Re: Tug of war between the heart and mind. Win-Win Skoda Laura 2.0 TDI CR Ambiente.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Also If I keep it in the RPM powerband of say 2-4K which I can do easily in MT , does it feel sluggish?
The Laura MT does not feel sluggish in any way if you do not go racing people at street lights all the time. Look up Behemoth's review for more details.
Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-mt-tdi-6.html
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 22:02   #32
BHPian

Re: Tug of war between the heart and mind. Win-Win Skoda Laura 2.0 TDI CR Ambiente.

Thanks n.devdath, for the response.
I am already aware of the thread "Ruby Raptor..". In fact during my decision making process, I have browsed through most of the threads in this forum which have to do with Skoda Laura MT/ AT. I decided in favor of MT after considering many things and now have resolved that I will go for an MT with all its strengths and weaknesses. The news from the dealer is I may get the car in another 2-3 days.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Laura MT does not feel sluggish in any way if you do not go racing people at street lights all the time. Look up Behemoth's review for more details.
Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-mt-tdi-6.html
Agree with the assessment that it does not feel sluggish but when was power sufficient for an enthusiast

Modern CR engined turbo diesel cars come with very long gear ratios for fuel efficiency and you inevitably have to down shift to 1st or 2nd gear very often in city traffic if you want to be in the rev range and have sufficient torque on tap. The point about the DSG is that it firewalls you from this issue completely. I am coming from experience of having to drive about 35 kms each day in the busiest of bumper to bumper nightmare called Bangalore traffic (Bannerghatta Road, Silk Board, Sarjapur Outer Ring Road, Bellandur - for those among you who are familiar with Bangalore Traffic )

The additional power is an added bonus for the most of us and a must for enthusiasts.

This is by no means a poor appraisal of MT. By itself the MT is a fab car and @dezrskb you will enjoy it give that your runs are short and hopefully the city you drive in has better traffic.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:17   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I decided in favor of MT after considering many things and now have resolved that I will go for an MT with all its strengths and weaknesses. The news from the dealer is I may get the car in another 2-3 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
The point about the DSG is that it firewalls you from this issue completely. I am coming from experience of having to drive about 35 kms each day in the busiest of bumper to bumper nightmare called Bangalore traffic (Bannerghatta Road, Silk Board, Sarjapur Outer Ring Road, Bellandur - for those among you who are familiar with Bangalore Traffic
If one is driving through heavy traffic on a daily basis the DSG (or any other AT for that matter) makes tremendous sense. I own a Laura TSI MT and thoroughly enjoy driving the car. I always felt an AT box takes the fun away from driving. But honestly in today's crawling traffic no car can be fun. THe traffic moves so slowly here that it takes its toll on the left leg of the driver and the clutch of the car.

My daily drive to office is a mere 5 kms. But since I face parking issues near my office I take my small car to office . I bought an i10 AT for my wife in March this year. The AT box on the i10 is very slow to respond and saps quite a lot of power from the engine and is generally dull to drive. But even so the convenience is truly wonderful. I have virtually hijacked her car and the i10 has become my daily drive. The Laura has now become the outstation car. I don't think I will buy another MT car again.

The DSG box in the Laura is generations ahead when compared to the conventional AT boxes and can be a lot of fun with its quick shifts and adaptive nature. The icing on the cake is its fuel efficiency. As many have told you, the 6 speed DSG on the Laura Tdi is very reliable and instances of failures are on par with failure of any other complex engine component.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If one is driving through heavy traffic on a daily basis the DSG (or any other AT for that matter) makes tremendous sense.
Santosh, yes agreed. The point i am trying to make is AT makes even more sense with a CR Turbo Diesel car geared of efficiency as compared other cars.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:57   #36
BHPian

Thanks rohitm and santoshbhat for opinions
Your points well taken but I dont have bumper to bumper traffic. My workplace is 1.5kms away which i mostly drive 4-5times/day each one nonstop as there are no traffic lights. I do it in 2nd/3rd gears in dezire vdi. So i guess i will not miss AT much. Also I will not be racing anybody much. Other drives r between 30-300kms on a highway once a mth.
And above all, my car will be here in 2days!! So I have stopped worrying MT Vs AT and am just looking forward to enjoy my drives

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks