Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:48   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag

The Vehicle: Mahindra Scorpio VLX AT 4x4 with Airbags & ABS 7STR
Accessories: Chrome Fittings + Scuff Plates + OEM Seat Covers + Floor matt (free) + Rain Visors (Free)
Booking Date: 29-Nov-2010
Delivery Date: 18-Feb-2011
Extended Warranty: Still in half mind to take or leave it

Background
The first car that I drove was a Standard Herald Mark III (1969) owned by my Dad. We used to do multiple long trips from Deolali to Goa and back in this car. I used to love this car. I used to frequently dismantle its solex carbuerettor and clean it and fit it back. Somehow in those days I never had a fascination for Jeep or Jeep like vehicles. The first car that I purchased was a Maruti 800 DX in 1997. Buying Maruti 800 was quite uneventful. In 2003, I needed a second vehicle so that my wife can use one car for picking and dropping my son from school. I visited the ABT maruti showroom and immediately fell in for a Baleno which was on display. Without any second thoughts, booked the same next day and in few weeks it was delivered in June 2003. Loved the baleno from the first day and I still use and drive it with pleasure. In Dec 2005, I decided to replace my Maruti 800 and got a Swift VXi. Somehow, the swift failed to make any impression. My suspicion is that it is an underpowered vehicle. Moment you put on the AC, it struggles to accelerate if you are in 4th or 5th gear. Maybe I was always comparing the swift with my Baleno. To be completely honest, I think I liked the ash tray that came along with Swift. I used to be a chain smoker and gave up smoking cold turkey (after multiple failed attempts) on Feb 14th 2004 and so the ash tray serves as a good box for storing loose change. I developed a keen passion for photography to kill the void left by giving up smoking. Over the years, the number of lenses and equipment grew. The space for accommodating both homo sapiens and photography equipments became tricky and a difficult choice which to leave home and which to carry along on trips. So the idea of getting a SUV started taking roots in 2009.

I came across Team BHP in 2010 and reading quite many posts, my interest in SUVs and Jeep like vehicles grew. In Sep 2010, I decided that I will sell off my swift. I know that Swift is a popular vehicle but somehow I just didn't like it and that's me with my strong peculiar likes & dislikes.

The tipping point was seeing a Ford Endeavor being parked by someone in my building. It was being parked just next to a Scorpio Mhawk VLX. The vehicle looked majestic. I also loved the way the (electrically operated) ORVM got folded. I compared this with the Scorpio and I decided that this is going to be my next vehicle. However fate had a Scorpio for me.

I read plenty of reviews on Team BHP and other than suspension being hard, I did not come across any major negative points for Ford Endeavour. So finally on 12th Sept, I made a request for a test drive on the Ford India site. Next day I get a call from Ford verifying my mobile number and address. No one turns up. I again make a request for a test drive on 3rd Oct. On 4th Oct I get a call again for confirming my mobile number and address. On Saturday, someone turns up with a Figo. Even after realizing their mistake, no one from Ford made any attempts to send the Ford Endeavour. On Oct 30, 2010, I made a last request for test drive. Finally seeing no attempts being made by Ford to send a vehicle for test drive, I decided to go for Tata Safari or Mahindra Scorpio. To be fair to ford, I had made multiple requests for a test drive of Maruti Grand Vitara too. I got a call from Gurgaon and that's it there was no further follow up from Maruti.

Giving up on Ford & Maruti, I booked for a test drive with both Tata Safari and Mahindra Scorpio. Within 5 minutes of booking a test drive on the Mahindra Scorpio site I get a call from carwale confirming the request for test drive. However, Concorde Motors were the first to dispatch the vehicle. Compared to Scorpio, the Safari interiors were better. My son loved the lcd tv on the headrest. He was all for the Safari. The LCD display on the IRVM was also very convenient during reversing. The driver side seat could be raised or lowered hydraulically. After getting familiar with the controls, I took the safari for a test drive. Somehow I did not get the confident feeling that I am controlling the vehicle. I took a road which has very little traffic. After driving for around 4 Km, I decided to take a U turn. I stopped putting on the right indicator. I looked at the IRVM - Saw nothing and started turning and all of a sudden my wife who was sitting behind gave a shriek. I braked just in time to see a guy on a scooter zipping past my right. I can swear that I had not seen anything. I have a suspicion that Safari has a blind spot. At that moment I decided that Safari is too big a vehicle for me to handle safely. Also there is no AT version with Safari.

I stay at Velachery and Zulaika Motors (dealer for Mahindra scorpio) is very near my place. I just walked across to the dealer and the representative tries to discourage me to take the automatic version or the 4x4 version. They also did not have a vehicle with Automatic gear for test drive. The sales representative kept on asking me "Why don't you take the 2WD version?" Seeing that I am very firm, he then drops a bomb shell that it will take 4-5 months for the 4WD or automatic. I walked away very disappointed. I then called India Garage. India Garage representatives also tried to discourage me from booking the 4x4 or the automatic version. They however did dispatch an Automatic 2WD vehicle to me for a test drive on 22nd Nov 2010. India Garage give me a delivery estimate of 3 months. I then shot off a mail to Mahindra Customercare. Someone responded to me within 2 hours and I got a call from India Garage giving me a new estimate of 10-12 weeks. The fact that both Mahindra CustomerCare and India Garage were prompt in replying to mails also created a good impression about the Scorpio vehicle and it aided my decision to go for Scorpio.

Part II Booking & Test Drive experience

I was floored by the test drive. Never could I have imagined that driving a beast like Scorpio could be so easy. I am short (I used to find driving my Swift a bit difficult). Turning the vehicle was easy. The noise level inside was also surprisingly low for a diesel vehicle. All my apprehension in driving a SUV after my Tata Safari experience were laid to rest. At this point, I wanted to take a look at Fortuner. My wife however reminded me my hate experience with Swift and reminded me that in case I don't like the Scorpio, it will be a less costly affair to dispose it. So on 29th Nov 2010 I booked a Diamond white AT 4X4 Scorpio. I specifically asked India Garage for a 2011 vehicle. Now the waiting period started. I asked from Feb 16th 2011 for the first promised date. Immediate after the booking, I called Mahalingam and Sons and gladly disposed my Swif VXi. For the first time I was happy to dispose away my possession. I kept the Swift's ash tray with me and now it is an integral part of my Scorpio's interior goodies.

After almost a month, I got an email from Mahindra with Login details on their SAP system. On 24th Jan, India Garage officials came to my office with a letter from Mahindra saying that vehicle delivery is getting delayed. However, they will deliver it on or before the first promised date of Feb 16th 2011. The officials apoligised profusely and offered me a box of chocolotes. I took this opportunity to enquire about the Scorpio Coffee Table Book. I was willing to buy this book if India Garage could order it.Finally, reached home at around 8:30 PM. A good day came to an end and I decided this is a good time for my scotch and some reading of the Scorpio User Manual.

On 25th Jan I get an SMS saying that I my booked vehicle will be delivered by 31st Jan. Confused I shot off an email to customercare. They promptly replied that the SMS has been sent on error. By mistake they were going to dispatch a Dec 2010 vehicle. Since I have specifically asked for a 2011 vehicle, the delivery will be on Feb 2011. In the first week of Feb 2011, India Garage collected the remaining amount for the vehicle after giving me 50% on the insurance (offer for Feb month). Apart from this 50% discount on insurance, there was no other freeby provided

On Feb 16th I get a call saying that the vehicle has been sent for PDI and RTO registration will be done on Feb 18th and that I can collect my vehicle at evening on Feb 18th. Though, I wanted to do PDI myself, I was too excited to bother. I told the dealer that so far I have been very happy with the experience compared to others like Ford & Maruti and they could make me more happy by offering freebies. The manager told me he will do the sun film free and give me floor mats. I told them to do the chrome fittings, scuff plates and OEM seat covers before delivery and that I will pay for the same.

Part III - Delivery Experience

Reached the showroom at Anna Salai at 5 PM. Went there with Family (wife and a teenager son). The vehicle was not there. The manager informed that it has gone for the chome fittings. So we had to wait. Finally after 30 minutes, my wife noticed a vehicle with the bold Automatic stickers drove in. This had to be my vehicle. My wife liked it immediately and mentioned that the chrome fittings improve the looks of the vehicle. The vehicle had 90 KM on the odometer. However, to my dismay I found that the chome fittings are actually stuck on the vehicle with double side tape. The fittings on the headlights did not fit well. The manager there told me that they will rectify the same when I bring it to the service center next time. The vehicle was taken for cleaning and after this I went inside to complete the delivery process. I had to fill some forms and also give a feedback. Meanwhile, the manager came and give me the 'Scorpio Coffee Table' book as a compliment from India Garage. This was quite unexpected and this gesture did make me very happy. They also gave me a coupon for 10 litres of diesel to be filled from a neighboring fuel pump. They had a so called expert who gave me a brief introduction about the vehicle. Told me not to exceed 100 Kmph during the first 1000 km. Explained all the controls inside and gave me his mobile number and a card with all phone numbers that I can call in case of any problem. They also told me that a representative from Mahindra will call me and give me a demo/tutorial at home at my convenience.

Since I never had the experience of driving an AT vehicle, I asked India Garage for a driver. Finally, reached home at around 8:30 PM. A good day came to an end and I decided to have an enlightened reading of the Scorpio User Manual.

Part IV. Vehicle Experience and Items acquired for the Car

First day driving I did not like the engine noise. In fact, I asked myself if I made a mistake. The noise becomes quite less during normal speeds. With every passing day I have got used to it. I guess this was because I am not used to a diesel vehicle. When I took a ride in my friend's fortuner, I realized that Scorpio makes much less engine noise compared to Fortuner. One day while reversing at a hotel parking place, I did not see ANHC parked behind. The intellipark system however did warn me and I stopped. One day there was a slight drizzle and I switched on the auto wiper function and it worked beautifully. One day I noticed that a black pastic cover behind the IRVM which covers the rain-light sensor almost coming out. Stuck that with fevibond (not feviquick) rubber solution which is easier to remove. Contrary to may reports, I did not find anything horrible about the Nippon HU. The Aux In hole on the HU looked inviting and I made a mental picture about how to use it with a IPOD dock to provide a nice mount for my 80 GB Classic Ipod. Ebay to the rescue and I ordered a IPOD mount from Maxell.

Maxell IPOD Dock

Headphone Splitter

In fact I ordered quite a few items from ebay and local shops

1. Electric Pump Metal Air Compressor/Tyre Inflator 12v - Rs 2000 (ebay) (I hate waiting at the Pump station in queue to get air filled)
2. USB Car Wall Charger for IPOD IPHONE 3GS HTC BLACKBERRY - This can charge my GPS device and has adaptor to charge my HTC & blackberry phone - Rs 500 (ebay)
3. Uniross 2 In 1 12V Multi Socket 2in1 - Allows you to simultaneously charge two devices - Rs 415 (ebay)
4. CAR REAR VIEW CAMERA FOR CAR PARKING AND REVERSING - Not yet fitted. Need to figure out how to open the rear tail lights - Rs 1500 (ebay)
5. Maxell P-3 Universal Charging Dock - For sticking this on the dashboard using 3M velcro and mounting the ipod - Rs 673 (ebay)
6. Headphone splitter from local electronic shop to connect GPS & IPOD audio simultaneously to the Nippon HU - Rs 15 (local shop)
7. Mapmyindia ZX150 - Rs 20000 (Landmark)

Driving the vehicle with AT is a breeze. After two weeks of driving AT I forgot to use the clutch on my Baleno. One habit which I have adopted is to put the AT in neutral when at traffic stop. I guess that should prevent at least some heating of the AT fluid when the vehicle is stationary and thereby save fuel. I have seen other drivers use brakes to stop the vehicle with the lever still in the drive position. Not sure If I am doing the right thing. I have still not used the cruise controls.

On 12th Mar, I got a visit to home from the Mahindra expert. I asked him about the poor range of the remote. He explained that the range is less on all the new Mhawk VLX variants. He showed me how to remove the spare tire. I also had a 'bulb' moment when he explained that closing the rear door can be a bit difficult if one of the windows is not lowered down. The mahindra expert also showed me how to remove the spare tire. I asked the expert on how to change the immobilizer code. He explained that the new refresh Scorpio model does not come with the engine immobiliser in the glove box but it is built in the Remote key. The button in the glove box can be used to stop or reset the voice assist sytem.

Even though I am loving this vehicle, there are quite may things that Mahindra has not done right. Let me list them in no particular order

o Limited space on the dashboard. Except for the Ganesha idol from India Garage, nothing else can be placed on the dashboard without touching the windscreen.
o tiny glove box compartment
o Not easy to access the controls for operating the power windows. Located at a funny position to the left of the driver side seat.
o When you release the hand brake, it kind of stops at a position which does not fully release the hand brake
o It is impossible to fill air in the spare tire without lowering it
o The spare tire is non-alloy. This I discovered thanks to a BHPian - NFS
o Difficult to access the space for keeping things on the front door side compartments with the doors closed when driving
o Ugly protruding hub caps on the 4wd version
o Very difficult to press the horn (looks like it is move by Mahindra to lessen the noise pollution as a part of their corporate social responsibility).
o The fit & finish of the dashboard, carpet seams at edges, gives away the Indian breed (chalta hai attitude) of this vehicle
o The distance at which the remote works is just few feet. My Baleno remote works from quite a distance. It works even from my balcony on 5th floor.
o The switch in the remote when pressed to not make contact sometimes
o The chrome fitting on the door handle makes it difficult to open/close the door using the key (without using remote)

The things that I love
o SUV
o Automatic & 4WD
o Good exteriors
o Good engine
o Overall low NVH. I found the scorpio doing better than the Fortuner in this area
o Very comfortable to drive. In fact I love driving the vehicle every day. The only problem was that I did hit two people on the first two days with the left ORVM. The ORVM folded without causing any damage to the ORVM as well as the surprised victims
o Very good view at a high seating position. Also the ORVM are fantastic. Wish they could have made it electrically foldable
o I like the voice warning mesages (even though this feature had horrified me initially).
o Rain Sensor is useful for selecting the speed of the wiper according to the intensity of the rain
o bluetooth enabled HU. To take the call I have to pull a small button on the steering wheel. To reject a call, I have to press a relative larger button (which is much easier than pulling the small button).
o Audio controls on the steering wheel.
o Steering this vehicle is a breeze.
o Enough space in the rear to keep all my photography equipment.
o LED light inside the cigarette lighter socket (for night viewing)
o The intellipark system is very useful when parking while reversing

Update on Mar 24th
Finally completed 1000 KM. Slowed and stopped the vehicle on the roadside and took this snap. I have now covered a distance of 1030 Km with 3000 Rs of Diesel.

I do feel that the engine noise is much less than that on the first few days but I this may be just my perception. I am yet to try the 4WD. Not sure I will require it soon. But rather than feel sorry later for not getting a 4WD vehicle, It is better to have that feature and use it when required.

After the first warning "Your vehicle is running on reserve fuel", have filled 74.70 Liters of Diesel (Rs 3000) till now and have covered 750 Km. I guess that I should be able to achieve > 10 KM / liter. This gives me the same running cost per KM as that with my Baleno with its petrol engine.

I am now on the lookout for a staff which can be fitted on the left hand side to get a better judgement of the left side. Next Step for me is to fit the rear camera, route the video wire neatly to the dashboard so that I can connect it to my ZX150 PND. I have already tested the camera by connecting a 12v adaptor to the camera and the video output to the ZX150 PND. The power cable of the camera needs to be connected to the reverse lights so that the camera switches on only while reversing. Any help / photographs from Team BHP who have fitted rear view camera will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag-scorpiopuja.jpg  

Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag-scorpio2.jpg  

Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag-scorpio100km.jpg  

Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag-scorpiorear.jpg  

Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag-scorpiofront2.jpg  

Last edited by mbhangui : 26th March 2011 at 13:25.
mbhangui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 23:07   #2
NFS
BHPian

Re: Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new possession. Your review is so much in detail, I loved every bit of reading it. Nice presentation and detail on all areas. Interior pictures could have been a good thing to add, with all your gizmos and of course the seat covers, floor mat etc.

Also when we met last you mentioned about NOT receiving Rain wisors, but was surprised to see it in your review. Did you manage to get that later?

Also, 74 liters of diesel in one filling? just kidding! How much did you manage to fill in one go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
o The spare tire is non-alloy. This I discovered thanks to a BHPian - NFS
Actually we discovered it together! it was TBHP thread who helped us locate this.

Happy motoring!

Last edited by NFS : 26th March 2011 at 23:14.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.Now that you have mentioned about the remote, mine too sometimes fails to contact on multiple attempts.

The Glovebox requires "special" technique to close.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new possession. Your review is so much in detail, I loved every bit of reading it. Nice presentation and detail on all areas. Interior pictures could have been a good thing to add, with all your gizmos and of course the seat covers, floor mat etc.
Thank you NFS. Will post the pictures soon.

Quote:
Also when we met last you mentioned about NOT receiving Rain wisors, but was surprised to see it in your review. Did you manage to get that later?
Oops. I have not received the Rain Visors. I did cut-paste of your review and forgot to remove that.

Quote:
Also, 74 liters of diesel in one filling? just kidding! How much did you manage to fill in one go?
This has been done in 3 fillings. I have a habit of filling for Rs 1000/- every time I visit a fuel station.
[/quote]
Old 27th March 2011, 08:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Congratulations.Now that you have mentioned about the remote, mine too sometimes fails to contact on multiple attempts.
Thank you 1100D

I could not resist opening the remote to see if anything can be done to improve the contact issue. Looks like there is nothing we can do. The PCB has 3 modular micro-switches. This switches are not serviceable.

So i guess it reflects on the quality of micro-switches sourced by mahindra.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio Mhawk BS4 VLX Automatic 4x4 with Airbag-remote.jpg  

Old 27th March 2011, 08:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

bhangui, congratulations on the new ride! Awesome one- for sure!

Welcome to Scorpers club!

On the remote range, please call your local Nippon dealer and he will come and do the needful. Infact the nippon system has lots of features which dealers sometimes are not aware(like touch sensors etc). Your remote range issue if I correct is due to the antenna wire being looped in under the passenger seat. The Nippon person would unwind the wire loop and set it up to build some more range for you. I have done the same, unless the system has changed now.

Happy Motoring!
Old 27th March 2011, 09:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
bhangui, congratulations on the new ride! Awesome one- for sure!
Thanks getsurya. I did read lot of your posts and gleaned lot of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
On the remote range, please call your local Nippon dealer and he will come and do the needful. Infact the nippon system has lots of features which dealers sometimes are not aware(like touch sensors etc). Your remote range issue if I correct is due to the antenna wire being looped in under the passenger seat. The Nippon person would unwind the wire loop and set it up to build some more range for you. I have done the same, unless the system has changed now.
I was suspecting the antenna on the remote. For triggering camera, I have similar remotes and sometimes the range can be increased by soldering a wire to the antenna on the remote. But the antenna wire being looped under the passenger seat gives the explanation for the poor range. I will bring this up during the service. Will also ask them to show me the antenna so that I can take some photos and post it here.
Old 27th March 2011, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Cool, i am glad i was of some help for my obsession(earlier it was called passion for cars, now it turned to obsession).
Old 27th March 2011, 10:49   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your Scorpio

Your review was fantastic, however in the middle you have told that you copy pasted from some else review. So not sure whom should I give the credit, Just kidding.

When are you going to test the 4*4 ability??

Contact Nippon regarding your remote, they do a promising service
Old 27th March 2011, 11:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Congratulations on your Scorpio

Your review was fantastic, however in the middle you have told that you copy pasted from some else review. So not sure whom should I give the credit, Just kidding.

When are you going to test the 4*4 ability??

Contact Nippon regarding your remote, they do a promising service
Thanks camchennai

I copied the first 5 lines from NFS's review and missed out the part on the rain visor

Looking for an opportunity to test the 4*4. Guess It will be after my son's last exam on 29th Mar.
Old 27th March 2011, 15:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the VLXs are outnumbering the SLEs & LXs on the forum by quite a huge margin!

Many congratulations, and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th March 2011, 17:08   #12
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition it looks really great. Your review is one of the best ones I have read on this forum, very detailed. I too have have purchased the automatic scorpio in 4X2 version you can check it out on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s4-airbag.html. Wish you many happy miles on your beast.
Old 27th March 2011, 19:06   #13
BHPian

Thank you comfortablynumb & Jetblast101.

Does anyone in this forum have experience in fitting a rear view camera? I have all the tools (drill bit, electric drill, soldering iron, etc) but need to know how to open the rear lights so that I can connect the power cable of the camera to the reverse lights myself. All these used to be so easy with the previous generation of vehicles (Fiat, Ambassador, Standard Herald). I am just not yet got used to the modern vehicles.

The guys at India Garage (ASC) are very reluctant to fit non-OEM fittings and they recommended GP road in Chennai. However my impression of the workmanship of GP road technicians is very poor.

Last edited by mbhangui : 27th March 2011 at 19:07. Reason: missed out ? for a question
Old 27th March 2011, 22:23   #14
BHPian

hi , congrats on your 4x4 scorpio , your will sure enjoy more in the years to come , i have been living the same dream since 3 months . however your booking to delivery seems to bit long any particular reason.
Old 27th March 2011, 23:45   #15
BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the SCORPIO club.I was planning to open the remote.Since the inside photos are given I feel there is no point in opening it.
For the hardness of your horn.Get the steering hub cover removed and the airbag also during your next trip to ASC.Inside you can find three rectangular microswitches , one each below the horn press impressions on the hub cover and one at bottom.Top cover of this swich is secures with locking flaps. Open these flaps carefully. and you can find two springs each inside.Either replace these springs with ball point pen springs or give few hard press with a plier.Assemble back and you will find it comfortable with the switch.I did it myself when I took the steering for putting leather cover.I couldnt find 6 ball point pen springs ,so resorted to compressing the springs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks